WOSSNAME -- MAY 2006 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2006
      WOSSNAME -- MAY 2006 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      7) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      WIZZARD CONCRETING

      To the Editor:

      I was cruising along the Logan Tollway yesterday at the 100k limit
      and I was passed by a maroon ute doing at least 110. Then I noticed
      the company name painted on it, "Wizzard Concreting", and just
      shouted 'Hey, Rincewind!'

      It didn't even slow down, of course, as Rincewind wouldn't.

      -- Kate
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      A CALL FROM FAR OFF BRISBANE

      To the Editor:

      I have just enrolled here at the university and have become a little
      homesick. I am hoping to find other students or faculty that also come
      from Queensland. I am hoping that they will join my meetup.com
      group "Brisbane, the Discworld and Beyond" in addition to this fine
      University. It would provide another tool for this group to maybe get
      face to face outside of conventions.

      Hope to hear from some of you.

      -- Wulfhure Daelman
      wulfhure@...
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      PUZZLE ANSWERS

      To the Editor:

      A while ago I posted a couple of on-topic puzzles. The first one
      was about something in Nanny Ogg's Cookbook that mentioned something
      that hadn't been invented yet, the second about which book was
      foreshadowed by Guards Guards, Moving Pictures (or possibly Men at
      Arms) and Reaper Man.

      The answer to the first question was stamps - one of the sections on
      the etiquette guide was about a young man asking a girl a question in
      a letter, and the position she placed the stamp on the envelope to
      reply indicated her answer. But stamps weren't invented until Going
      Postal - hmmmmmm.....

      [Ed:But you don't know when Nanny Ogg wrote her cook book.
      Besides, with all the cutting and pasting of bits of time by the History
      Monks, you should count yourself lucky that Nanny Ogg's Cookbook
      wasn't written before they invented *paper*.]

      -- Confusing Manifestation

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) WITCHERY EVOLVES
      by Annie Mac

      So the next Discworld novel coming out is another Tiffany Aching
      story. Three for the hat trick. Unless you're one of those little
      gooey green things that lives in a swamp, you're probably awaiting it
      with bated (note spelling) breath - and with good reason. Tiffany
      Aching, all not-yet-fourteen-years-old of her, is probably the
      strongest, most multilayered, most superheroish Discworld character
      since Esmerelda Weatherwax; I've been referring to her as
      "Weatherwax: the Next Generation" since Wee Free Men first hit the
      bookshops. She's certainly not the first highly intelligent,
      contemplative child Pterry has given us (consider Good Omens and the
      Johnny series), nor the first hotshot supernatural young woman
      (Susan!), but Tiffany is something else again, an irresistible
      combination of superhuman gifts and human frailties.

      Witches Abroad, and even moreso Lords and Ladies, gave us an insight
      into the character of Granny Weatherwax when she was a headstrong
      young girl who had occasionally bitten off more than she could chew
      and who was forced - or forced herself - into a lifelong position of
      incomparable self-control: "Someone's got to be the good one."
      Tiffany, on the other hand, is moulding herself into an equally
      self-controlled uberwitch without, and this is the important part,
      the underlying mild bitterness and longing-for-things-unfulfilled
      that seem to me to characterise Granny's personality. Tiffany, with
      her Third Thoughts, sees even further than Esme ever allowed herself
      to do. Tiffany feels powerful urges to *do* and *discover*, and even
      as her Third Thoughts are crying "danger!", she gives in to those
      urges anyway...and then, being made of the Right Stuff, faces up to
      whatever she has to do to make up for the troubles her giving-in has
      caused. In my opinion, this has the potential to ultimately make her
      an even more powerful *good* witch than Granny has ever dared allow
      herself to be.

      I mean, look. We all know that Granny has hidden gentleness in her.
      We all know that Granny, for all her carefully constructed shows of
      hardness and independence and can't-be-having-with-luxuries, does
      have "finer feelings" and does feel occasional whimsicalness and
      does, really, love. But what stands out for me in the way Pterry is
      developing Tiffany's character is that Tiffany is embracing her human
      side, working out ways to become a Great Witch whilst still remaining
      a living, loving young woman. Granny had to turn her back on family
      and active friendships in order to control her, um, cackling
      potential - even her relationship with Gytha Ogg, while it runs deep,
      is an arm's-length one; Tiffany continues to cleave to her family,
      doesn't reject ~cough cough~ romantic thoughts out-of-hand, and can
      be said to be actively seeking close friends and confidantes of her
      own age. Granny has had to lock away her sensual, vulnerable self;
      Tiffany, as we've seen her so far, seems determined to hold on to
      those traits, and in my opinion may well become even more witchsomely
      powerful through so doing.

      I see both Granny and Tiffany as fantastic role models, true
      superheroes. But where Granny represents the (admittedly admirable)
      tragedy of utter self-sacrifice, Tiffany represents the majesty of a
      balanced personality. "Esmerelda" means "emerald", and emerald is a
      stone, a rock, a think of great and steadfast yet cold and unyielding
      power. "Tiffany", we're told, means "land under wave", and the land
      here is chalk - softer, warmer, more yielding, yet no less powerful
      because chalk forms the bones of the land just as rock does. And I
      truly believe, based on both the evidence in Pterry's books and my
      own interpretations and extrapolations, that Granny approves...that
      Granny *can* be having with this...and even, perhaps, that Granny had
      been watching and waiting for countless decades for a Tiffany to come
      along: a new, young witch who has what it takes to eventually take on
      the mantle of the greatest, most respected leader the Discworld
      witches don't have.

      And just so you'll know, I've based these observations on the first
      two Tiffany books and the already-available promotional blurbs for
      Wintersmith, the forthcoming novel. I will talk more about
      Wintersmith, but not until next month. Blessed be.

      9) CALL FOR THESPIANS

      CALL FOR THESPIANS

      To the Editor:

      I am an international graduate student studying
      theatre at Towson university, MD and would love to
      produce a Pratchett play over here.
      The performance and rehearsal venue would HAVE to be
      Towson university (North Baltimore) but would not be
      restricted to Towson Students, anyone from Maryland
      would be welcome nay, encouraged, say I, to
      participate.

      I have 19 years of professional experience in theatre
      but I am still an amateur when it comes to American
      and Americans!! Hell, the first time I came over here
      in 1992 the woman in Barnes and Nobel hadn't even
      HEARD of Pratchett never mind stock him. That said,
      do you think you could assist me in this project? Please
      write to me at: davidjglover@...

      -- David J. Glover