WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2006 -- PART 1 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2006
      APRIL 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 4)
      Part 1 of 4 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Anna M. Conina
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake, Steven D'Aprano
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano
      ooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1) BELATED BIRTHDAY GREETINGS
      2) MEET THE MODERATORS
      3) FULL CAST ON BOARD FOR HOGFATHER
      4) YES, WE HAVE NO GERMAN CON IN 2006
      5) ELTON'S E-BAY GOODIES
      6) NOREASCON: DVDS AVAILABLE
      7) THE THEATRE

      ====Part 2
      8) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3
      8) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE (cont'd)
      9) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      10) DOUBLE THE OMENS (book review)

      ====Part 4
      11) THE MAN IN THE HAT
      12) DW X 12 (book review)
      13) DISCWORLD QUIZ - ANSWERS
      14) LIMERICK CONTEST

      1) BELATED BIRTHDAY GREETINGS

      Fellow Mages, Students, Technomancers, Newbies and Libwolf,

      It's come to our attention that the original and true founder of this
      University, Mr Man-in-Hat, will turn 58 on Friday, April 28th.

      Let's all join together in wishing him at least 42 more of these
      birthday things, so he can write a LOT more about Discworld!

      And so say all of us...
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) MEET THE MODERATORS
      by Anna M. Conina

      Most of you probably know that Terry's U.S. publisher is HarperCollins,
      and his official website is http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com However,
      you may not know that I became moderator of the message board on
      this website in September 2005. I'm delighted to announce that as of this
      month, at my request, Jason Anthony of _Discworld Monthly_ has kindly
      agreed to take time out of his busy schedule to join me as a part-time
      message board moderator! I think it was my promise to buy him a
      beer at the August Discworld convention which finally tipped the balance.

      Besides providing additional moderator coverage (and allowing me
      to take vacations without frantically hunting for Internet cafes),
      Jason brings to the board a wealth of knowledge about Discworld
      events and Discworld fandom, which makes him one of the best
      assets any Terry Pratchett message board could have. I encourage
      everyone to please stop by the message board, say hello to me,
      and join me in welcoming Jason with an enthusiastic "Oook!"

      And buy the man a well-deserved beer while you're at it.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) FULL CAST ON BOARD FOR HOGFATHER
      by Anna M. Conina

      UK cabsat channel Sky One and producer/distributor
      RHI Entertainment have started production on the high-definition
      live-action/CGI adaptation of author Terry Pratchett's fantasy fiction
      HOGFATHER, and named a full cast.

      Among the talent are UK actor David Jason, already confirmed in
      the role of Albert; Joss Ackland (Midsomer Murders) as Mustrum
      Ridcully; Marc Warren (Hustle, State of Play) as Teatime; David
      Warner (Planet of the Apes) as Lord Downey; and Nigel Planer
      (The Young Ones) as Mr Sideney.

      Production is scheduled for completion by late June, when
      The Moving Picture Company will start on over 1,000 hours of CGI work

      Pratchett has also confirmed he will make a cameo appearance in
      the film, which will air on Sky One at Christmas 2006.

      Production was set to begin on the HOGFATHER film in April at
      3 Mills Studios. For more information, see:

      http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews.asp?ID=49476

      We had been asked to cast our net in the sea of Discworld and
      come up with 70 or 80 good folk, silly enough to want to appear in a
      crowd scene.

      Sorry to report that the casting call has been cancelled. The good
      news is that there was no money involved, and you will have avoided
      hanging around for hours, being told to keep quiet, and most importantly:
      you would have needed your own costume.

      For those of you who had already purchased your own costume,
      the film makers express their regrets. Perhaps you can use it
      at some future DW fan gathering. We do hope that there were
      not hordes of costumed DW fans thronging the streets of London
      around 3 Mills Studio in early April and scaring the populace.

      If you'd like to see some advance pix of the film so far, be sure to
      keep a close eye on the news section at www.paulkidby.com in
      the coming months! The site has revealed early images from the
      _Hogfather_ film production, including a photo of actress Michelle
      Dockery in costume as Susan.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) YES, WE HAVE NO GERMAN CON IN 2006
      by Anna M. Conina

      We've been informed that the German Sektoberfest planned for 1-3
      September (the same weekend as Wadfest) has been cancelled.
      This means the first German Discworld convention will be the
      Scheibenwelt-Fest, which is taking place at Freusburg zu Siegen
      from 23-25 February 2007. Their website address is
      http://www.discworld-convention.de/.. Terry has told me that he will not be there as it clashes
      with an American convention which he promised to attend over
      eighteen months ago, and the only way he would be able to attend the
      Fest would be if that convention was cancelled. Stephen Briggs,
      Trevor Truran, Bernard Pearson and others plan to be at the US con.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) ELTON'S E-BAY GOODIES

      An e-mail from Elton Murphy of Collector's Gifts says they have
      recently listed more items in their eBay shop. Many of the items
      listed are quite rare and are offered on the 'Buy It Now' system!

      You can view all of their listings at:

      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/rd/cg/

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) NOREASCON: DVDS AVAILABLE
      by Anna M. Conina

      If you missed Terry's guest of honor appearance at Noreascon
      Four, or you just want to relive the fun, you're in luck. The
      Noreascon committee has compiled DVDs of several of the major
      convention events: "Time Machine," "The Masquerade," "The 2004
      Hugo Awards," and, for those who purchase the full set, a bonus
      disc of the opening and closing ceremonies and time-lapse convention
      footage.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) THE THEATRE
      (courtesy of Discworld Monthly)

      * Bookonear are adapting PYRAMIDS as a German language audio play
      (in the same format as their production of Guards! Guards!) for release
      in early May. They also plan to issue a similar production of LORDS
      AND LADIES.

      * [UK] Waterside Theatre Company will be performing Guards! Guards! At
      The Waterside Theatre, Holbury, Nr Southampton from May 18th - 20th
      2006. For more details, see: http://www.watersidetheatrecompany.org.uk
      Tickets 7.00 GBP and 6.00 GBP concessions available on 023 80841533

      * [UK] The Stockport Garrick Theatre will be performing Lords and
      Ladies from the 10th-17th June. Tickets cost 7.50 GBP (6 GBP for
      concessions).For more details: http://www.stockportgarrick.co.uk

      * [AU] Unseen Theatre Company will be performing Jingo from June 28 to
      July 15. More details can be found at http://unseen.com.au/

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      -----
      -----