(no subject)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      MARCH 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 3)
      Part 1 of 4 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Anna M. Conina
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      Creative Co-Conspirator: Valeria Lynne
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano
      ooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1) TERRY CANCELS TRIP TO WORLDCON
      2) TERRY'S AGENT REPORTS
      3) GATHERING NUTS IN MAY
      4) AFPA GAMESMEET IN 2 MONTHS

      ====Part 2
      5) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3
      6) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER

      ====Part 4
      7) WINTERSMITH -- ADVANCE PEEK
      8) DISCWORLD QUIZ
      9) LIMERICK CONTEST
      10) YES VIRGINIA, THERE IS A SENIOR WRANGLER

      1) TERRY CANCELS TRIP TO WORLDCON

      We've just heard from Terry in regard to his trip to the
      2006 Los Angeles Worldcon, where he had been
      confirmed as a program participant for this year's convention,
      scheduled for August 23-27th. Terry writes:

      "I'm sorry to say that I will almost certainly not be able to attend
      Worldcon this year. From mid- August I'm down to do the UK
      Discworld con, the Worldcon, the German tour, the UK 'Wintersmith'
      tour and then the US tour -- and those are only the *major* things
      in the well speckled diary. Oh, and I should be doing some WRITING,
      too. So I'm shedding what I can, and that means Worldcon has to go.
      It's a bugger, because I'm fully paid up, but I've learned the hard
      way the need to bleed some space into the schedule.

      "If 'Making Money' writes itself fast, I suppose I might make a last
      minute dash to get there just for the craic, but I wouldn't want
      anyone to bet on it.

      "All the best."

      -- Terry Pratchett
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) TERRY'S AGENT REPORTS

      Colin Smythe reveals there is a virtual flood of Pratchett activity
      in every corner of the globe.:

      " I've heard from Peter Tabern of Childsplay that the BBC will be
      broadcasting the combined version of the three episodes of
      JOHNNY AND THE BOMB in the autumn - exact date not yet
      announced - to be followed by the release of the DVD before Christmas.

      "I've just received copies of the BCA Unseen Library's next three
      quarter leather bound titles - Small Gods, Lords & Ladies, Men at Arms

      Also coming out are:

      * L'Atalante's French edition of Night Watch - Ronde de Nuit.
      * Vuzev's Discworld Calendar 2006 (a Bulgarian version of the
      1999 English calendar).
      * Talpress's Czech edition of Going Postal, and their Slovakian
      edition of Equal Rites.
      * Piper's German language ediiton of The Science of Discworld:
      Darwin's Watch.
      * Manhattan's German translation of A Hat Full of Sky and a reissue
      of their graphic novel edition of Mort.
      * Varrak's Estonian editions of Maskerade, and Feet of Clay.
      * Wahlstram's Swedish edition of Hogfather.
      * Plaza y Janes' Spanish edition of Maskerade.
      * Pocket's mass-market French edition of Feet of Clay.
      * Laguna's Serbian edition of Interesting Times.
      * Karisto's Finnish edition of Eric
      *Praszynski's Polish edition of The Unadulterated Cat.
      and
      * Piper's new paperback of the German edition of The
      Colour of Magic (originally published by Heyne).

      Rights sales

      * Ucila in Slovenia are buying The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites,
      Mort, Sourcery and Wyrd Sisters, taking over from Vale-Novak
      who published The Colour of Magic
      * Varrak in Estonia are buying Jingo
      * Karisto in Finland are acquiring Maskerade
      * Conrad in Brazil: Reaper Man and Witches Abroad
      * Noesis in Romania: Pyramids
      * Laguna in Serbia/Montenegro: Feet of Clay
      * Science Fiction World Magazine in mainland China:
      Equal Rites, Mort and Sourcery

      The Stephen Briggs recording of GOOD OMENS will be
      released by ISIS in July, and will have the Josh Kirby cover
      illustration that was commissioned by Heyne for their German
      edition of the book, and hasn't yet been used for any English
      language edition.

      The new American edition, of GOOD OMENS published by Morrow,
      is being issued in two difference covers - it's easier to look at
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0060853964/ref=dp_
      image_0/103-3662430-7699012?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books
      than for me to describe them. The book contains new material
      by each of the authors.

      This week, in the TES (Times Education Supplement) in shops now
      until next Thursday (6th April), there is a full-size pullout poster of
      Terry
      in the Teacher pullout, with teachers' notes on teaching about Terry's
      life and works.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) 3) GATHERING NUTS IN MAY
      by Anna M. Conina

      Production will begin on the _Hogfather_ film in April at
      3 Mills Studios. For more information, see:

      http://www.4rfv.co.uk/industrynews.asp?ID=49476

      There's still no word on who will be cast as Susan.
      However, there *has* been word on who will be cast as extras . . .
      possibly you! Bernard Pearson, owner of "The Cunning Artificer"
      Discworld shop in Wincanton, posted the following announcement
      on his website message board on Saturday, March 25:

      The film company *The Mob* are (as I'm sure you are aware) making
      the Hogfather film for Sky Television.
      They have asked me to cast my net in the sea of Discworld and
      come up with 70 or 80 good folk, silly enough to want to appear in a
      crowd scene. It will be the Great Hall of the UU and we need Wizards,
      Students, and a few serving wenches. Obviously there are more students
      than wizards, and serving wenches can be of all ages.

      Now you must understand, there is no money, it will be a very early
      start in London about or on the 1st May, you'll be hanging around
      for hours, told to keep quiet, and most importantly:

      YOU MUST HAVE YOUR OWN COSTUME.

      If a beard is part of your character then it has to be a good one, really
      good,
      and with all the chains, baubles and sashes as described in the DW Companion.

      If you are a student then the costume has to be *right* from late medieval
      to 19th century, again let the DWC be your guide.

      Wenches and Maids: A mop cap, black garments, large apron.

      What you have to do is this:
      Send a picture full face, like a passport photo of you unadorned,
      then another, this one full length of you in costume via E-mail to
      tom@... These can be sent through
      the post or e-mailed. If posted I cannot guarantee they will be returned,
      and they must be very clearly labelled.

      I will then send all the information to the casting director at the Mob
      who will make the decision of who he can use.

      I need your pictures in by no later than the 5th April, and I must
      reiterate I am not doing the casting; it's the professionals at the
      Mob studio that make all the decisions.

      Granted, this is a bit of a commute for our many non-British readers,
      but what a unique opportunity! I'm sure I can rustle up a black dress,
      mob cap, and apron. It's the plane ticket that may pose a problem . . . .
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) AFPA GAMESMEET IN 2 MONTHS

      At last! The 6th annual gamesmeet!

      So, if this is a meet, whom are we meeting on this lovely
      27th-28th of May?

      May I present to you, in the blue corner: Lasergun!
      Responsible for countless heaving and sweating afp-ers[1], premature
      demises and frantic comparisons of statistics. What's worse the an American
      with the entire score sheet of last years baseball league? A meet of afpers
      with their laserquest score sheets.

      And in the red corner: Creator of heavy thinking, weighting of options and
      concentration: Stack of board games!

      As always one of the first to be dissected at the start of the meet but ever
      rejuvenating, it is still going strong. Watch its classical moves, where it
      floors an entire group of over 10 people with a simple stack of Munchkin,
      how it outgeeks even the saviest of programmers with Roborally or squeezes
      the last drops of creativity with its "Once upon a time". Or maybe it will
      be the battle between wherewolves and musquitos again. And don't discount
      its new moves, who knows what kind of killer blow it has thought up this
      time?

      There we go, the mood is set and the question is: Are you up to it?

      Let me know, the sooner the better, especially if we actually want
      Laserquest to take place.

      For those who have never been there before[2] and want to know the short
      version: Gathering in the Eindhoven trainstation (exact starting time to be
      announced, but around 13:00). From there we move on to Laserquest. Please
      people, be there on time. Afterwards, we go to my place in Geldrop where we
      will play games, drink, eat food, play some more games and drink some more.

      Crash space is available (it is called floor so bring your own stuff. I have
      a few emergency things, but not many). Next morning breakfast, playing of
      some more games, going home. Sleeping is optional.

      Bring with you: Board[3] games, the less known, the better. Sleeping stuff.
      Good weather if you want a few rounds of wherewolf. I'll take care of the
      rest.

      Any questions: Mail me!

      Hope to see lots of you,
      Eelco

      [1] They chase each other around in the arena, right. Get your mind out of
      the gutter, the one you are thinking about is #afp.
      [2] tsk, tsk, tsk...
      [3] In the loosest sense of the word. Basically, everything non-computer.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      -----