WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2006 -- PART 1 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2006
      FEBRUARY 2006 (Volume 9, Issue 2)
      Part 1 of 4 Sections
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Anna M. Conina
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      Creative Co-Conspirator: Valeria Lynne
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Paul Blake
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: volunteer needed
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      World Membership Director: Steven D'Aprano
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      EDITORIAL

      ====Part 1

      1) HOGFATHER TO THE SCREEN!
      2) GP NOMINATED FOR NEBULA AWARD
      3) TERRY TO BE AT '06 L.A. WORLDCON?
      4) AFPA TO MEET 3/25/06

      ====Part 2
      5) YOUR NEW DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3
      6) SURPRISE BURA MEET
      7) LETTERS FROM ALL OVER

      ====Part 4

      8) NEW HARPER COLLINS EDITION OF GOOD OMENS
      9) DW FIGURES AT LOW PRICES
      10) CMOT BADGE SALES
      11) LIMERICK CONTEST
      12) HAPPY HEDGEHOG DAY: THE JOY OF
      DIY DISCWORLD HOLIDAYS

      EDITORIAL

      My humble apologies for being a bit late with this issue, but
      alas I have had another heart attack (my third). Don't know
      how much longer I can do this, but will keep trying.

      -- Joe "aten't dead yet" Schaumburger

      ====Part 1

      1) HOGFATHER TO THE SCREEN!

      Sky One and RHI Entertainment have announced the production of
      Terry Pratchett's worldwide best-selling fantasy fiction novel, Hogfather.
      The project marks the first ever live action / CGI film of Discworld
      and its characters, and the 2 x 120" HD film airs on Sky One in
      Christmas 2006. RHI Entertainment have secured the international
      distribution rights.

      Terry Pratchett has sold over 45 million books worldwide and is the UK's
      second most popular author based on book sales, selling 2.5 million a
      year (3% of the total book trade).

      The British author's Discworld books are translated into 35 languages
      and he has won numerous prestigious literacy awards, was named an
      Officer of the British Empire for services to literature and commands a
      huge fan base across the globe.

      David Jason (Only Fools and Horses, A Touch of Frost) has been
      confirmed for the key role of Albert in the film and further high quality
      casting will be announced over the next few months.

      David Jason said: "I am thrilled to be taking part in Hogfather - I am
      a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's books and to play the part of Albert is
      going to be great fun."

      Elaine Pyke, Sky One's Drama Commissioner said: "Having been in
      development for nearly a year I am thrilled to announce this two part
      commission with RHI Entertainment for the first live action adaptation
      of a Discworld book. Terry Pratchett is one of the most successful
      authors of our time and his fantasy fiction will strike a chord with Sky
      One viewers. With the award winning Mob Film Company producing
      the series and the Moving Picture Company producing the computer
      generated effects, Hogfather is sure to serve up a visual feast this
      Christmas."

      Joel Denton, President and Distribution for RHI Entertainment, said
      "We are delighted to be working with Sky and Mob to bring this
      fantastic Terry Pratchett novel to a global television audience. We
      hope to continue to build our presence in the UK by producing
      more large event mini-series that utilizes UK talent and bestselling
      novels."

      Hogfather is adapted for the screen and directed by Vadim Jean
      {Leon the Pig Farmer} and produced by Rod Brown {Dream Team,
      Goal} and Ian Sharples {The Virgin of Liverpool} for the Mob Film
      Company. Elaine Pyke {Dream Team, Hex} executive produces
      for Sky One and Robert Haimi Sr. {DynotopiaI} is the executive
      producer for RHI Entertainment.

      Hogfather is set to transmit on Sky One at Christmas 2006.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) GP NOMINATED FOR NEBULA AWARD

      Hot off the press! _Going Postal_
      has been nominated for a Nebula Award!
      http://www.locusmag.com/2006/News/02_Nebula_Final_Ballot.html
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) TERRY TO BE AT '06 L.A. WORLDCON?

      According to the Los Angeles Worldcon website, Terry has
      been confirmed as a program participant for this year's convention,
      scheduled for August 23-27th: http://www.laconiv.org/2006/prog/progbios.htm

      Because the Worldcon occurs immediately after the
      Discworld Convention, it was uncertain if Terry could attend both;
      it appears as if that's been resolved. However, before you buy
      plane tickets, keep in mind that schedules are subject to change! We'll
      post more news as we receive it.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4. AFPA TO MEET 3/25/06

      There will be a London AFPmeet on Saturday the 25th March.

      It will be a multinational Welcome To London Meet for Petri
      (and anyone else new to London!).

      Date: Saturday 25th March 2006

      Time: 2:00pm onwards, with possible eating and bookshop forays during
      the afternoon.

      Location: The Angel is at 61 St.Giles High Street, LONDON, WC2H 8LE.
      Nearest tube station is Tottenham Court Road.

      For more info on the venue, visit:
      <http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/20/2012/Angel/Soho>

      Regular meet attenders may know the pub since it's apparently
      previously been used as a meet venue to go with signings at Forbidden
      Planet.

      Looking forward to meeting as many of you as possible :-)

      (ED: No name on this one. Try the URL.)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      -----