WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2005 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2005 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

      4) NOT YOUR DISCWORLD PUZZLE

      Sorry, gang, I'm weakening. I did about half one of our
      splendid puzzles on NANNY OGG'S COOKBOOK but just don't
      have the strength to finish it. Next time, alas.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) LOST PRATCHETT QUOTE RESURFACES

      FOOTNOTE (belated) Torcon 3, the 61st Worldcon, was held
      August 28 through September 1, 2003, at the Metro Toronto
      Convention Center and, a few blocks away, the Fairmont Royal
      York and Crowne Plaza. Guests of Honor: George R.R. Martin,
      author; Frank Kelly Freas, artist; Mike Glyer, fan; and
      "GoHst of Honour" Robert Bloch. The toastmaster was
      author Spider Robinson.

      Later Friday afternoon a thin crowd, including last year's winner,
      Donald Kingsbury, watched Terry Pratchett accept the Libertarian
      Futurist Society's Prometheus Award for his novel, Night Watch.
      Before the ceremony there had been laughter about the tiny camera,
      perched on a huge tripod, that was recording the event.

      American fans had taken him shooting, said Pratchett, a skill
      about as useful to a modern Englishman as surfing is to an Eskimo.
      In England, he explained, only criminals are allowed to have guns.
      This is literally true, he continued. When a law was passed banning
      all handguns, the Olympic pistol team turned in its guns, but criminals
      didn't.

      "Meddlers, interferers, statists" was how Pratchett described the British
      government. All politicians will claim to be libertarians and define the
      term differently each time.

      --Taras Wolansky
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) TROLL MODELS

      Trolls have suffered discrimination, even violence,
      for centuries. People complain about them hiding
      under bridges and eating travelers. Hey, how would
      you feel, if strangers were constantly waking you up,
      tromping on your roof? Come on, admit it -- wouldn't
      you start thinking about eating a few of them, too?

      Trolls should be proud of their heritage. There
      should be courses in Troll Studies at universities,
      and a quota of trolls for admissions, just like other
      minority groups. And once you've admitted troll
      students, you need troll professors as well, to serve
      as "troll models".

      -- Taras Wolansky

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) "GOING POSTAL" PREMIERS IN AUSTRALIA

      The Unseen Theatre Company has announced the
      Australian Premiere of Terry Pratchett's
      "Going Postal" directed by Pamela Munt, as
      adapted by Stephen Briggs

      WHEN: November 25 to December 10
      (Wednesdays to Saturdays @ 8pm)
      WHERE: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas St. Adelaide
      TIX: Adults $16, Concession $13, Groups (10+) $10
      INFO: www.unseen.com.au/ pamela@...
      BOOKINGS: 82270505

      An hilarious send-up of the age of technology, the play
      features Steve Parker as Moist Von Lipwig, Philip Lineton
      as Lord Vetinari, Kahlia Muller as Adora Belle Dearheart
      and a cast of thousands (more or less).

      Moist von Lipwig was a con artist, a fraud and a man faced
      with a life choice - be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's ailing
      postal service back on its feet.

      This time it's not a battle between Trolls and Dwarves, but
      a battle between the services of the Clacks Towers (read email)
      and that of the Post Office (read snail mail).
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) MASKERADE IN CHELMSFORD

      Chelmsford Theatre Workshop (who did the first 'Interesting Times'
      10 years ago), are presenting "Maskerade" in Chelmsford. It's on from
      20th to 24th and 27th to 31st December, at 7.45 pm (except 24th matinee
      only at 2.00).

      The venue is The Old Court Theatre, 233 Springfield Road, Chelmsford,
      Essex (opposite the prison), and tickets for £6 (£5 concessions) can
      be booked at the Civic Theatre Box Office on 01245 606505. Further
      details can be found at www.ctw.org.uk.

      -- Mark Preston (Director)
      E-mail: m.preston@...
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      9) LORDS AND LADIES IN FEBRUARY 2006

      The Unicorn Theatre will present Terry Pratchett's
      LORDS & LADIES in a *new* dramatisation by Stephen Briggs
      from 7 to 11 February 2006 at 7.30 (plus 2.30 matinee on 11/2)
      on Thames Street, Abingdon, Oxon

      Tickets are £7. Full ordering information is available from
      Tickets@... or from the website:
      www.studiotheatreclub.com
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      10) WHERE'S MY COW SECRET REVEALED

      Steven D'Aprano writes:

      I just read "Where's My Cow?" last night.

      It is a fun read, with excellent illustrations. I'm not really sure it
      is worth the full price the stores are asking for it, but you know I'll
      end up paying it anyway. But I'll grumble about it for months
      afterwards.

      And it would make a good children's story too.

      Towards the back, if you pay attention, you might notice an interesting
      portrait on the wall of little Sam's bedroom...

      To which our esteemed Managing Editor replies:

      Well, *I* noticed it - neither you nor Sacharissa did until I pointed
      it out :P

      Interestingly, that portrait is in all the other pictures of Young
      Sam's room in WMC; it starts out blank and gradually turns into the
      iconic view at the last :-)

      -- Annie Mac