WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2005 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2005 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      BOOK REVIEWS
      by Drusilla D'Afanguin
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      9) DARWIN REVISITED

      THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD III: Darwin's Watch
      by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen
      Ebury Press, London, 2005, 344 pp., GBP 17.99

      HE SAID, SHE SAID: DARWIN'S WATCH REVISITED

      A dialogue in the Penguin Colony

      Him: I thought it was the weakest of the three Science of Discworld
      books. Good, but nowhere near the quality of the first two.

      Her: I thought it was very good! In fact, I liked it better than The
      Globe, the second SoD book.

      Him: If we take it as two parts - the story part and the science
      part...

      Her: Yes, I always read them like that. I read the Discworld story,
      the Terry Pratchett part, first and then come back and read the
      Stewart-and-Cohen science part.

      Him: ...I thought the story part felt kind of rushed.

      Her: No way! It felt comfortable to me throughout. And I love the way
      Rincewind is such a real person in the SoD books. Less of a charming
      caricature and more of a real person, with depths and actual force of
      personality.

      Him: The science stuff, on the other hand...it was all over the
      place. Undisciplined. They start off talking about one thing in a
      chapter and suddenly get off the track. Like discussing evolution and
      then with no warning talking about time travel. It felt like they
      weren't really focussing.

      Her: I did notice that a little, yes. Of course, I've not finished
      the science bits yet because you keep nicking the book...

      Him: I also have some trepidations about Hex. He - it - seems to be
      getting a bit too all-powerful. Godlike. That makes things too easy.

      Her: But that's only where Hex interacts with Roundworld! In the main
      Discworld books, Hex is still a mysterious machine that works
      randomly. See, I've always seen the SoD books as exercises in
      problem-solving and expositions of scientific theories, which just
      happen to be decorated by a Pratchett cast of characters, and as I
      love both Pratchett books and science books, that does fine for me.

      Him: I still say it felt rushed.

      Her: And I still say no way. There's real character development here.
      And the wizards seem to have an actual place, and wield actual power.
      In a comically wizardly way, of course. I particularly like the way
      Ponder is maturing...and the way Pterry showed him as being banjaxed
      by the ever-increasing evidential possibility of intelligent design
      ...oh wait, better not give that part away.

      Him: I liked the bit about Second Breakfast...

      Her: Trust you to think about food at a time like this!

      Him: Anyway, I'll have to read it again now, and see if I still have
      the same opinion.

      Her: Well, I liked it. A lot.

      Him: It's too expensive, though.

      Her: Huh? It was a pressie!

      Him: But if I'd bought it, it would have been too expensive. Actually
      I hadn't bought it because I thought the price seemed very high. Now
      I know I was right.

      Her: And I know I'm going to recommend it anyway. But yes, the price
      *is* too high. We should complain to the Guild of Booksellers about
      that. Um, do we have a guild of booksellers here in XXXX?...
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      10) MONSTROUS REGIMENT
      by Terry Pratchett
      HarperCollins, New York, 2003, 353 pp., $24.95

      I've just re-read Monstrous Regiment. I originally thought it was a
      bloody good book, but not one of the Great Ones in the DW series.

      I've changed my mind. It's a bloody excellent book.

      It's so very much more layered and incisive than I'd thought. And one
      thing that stood out to me was my impression, this time, that the
      presence of Vimes and Angua was not at all "gratuitous", as some
      persons here (and one male werevampenguin) have claimed. Both
      Ankh-Morporkians have a definite purpose in the plot; although
      they're secondary characters, I feel strongly that they are
      *important* characters to the story. And not just because of the
      coffee beans...

      Also, I'd originally thought the climactic scenes near the end were a
      bit too OTT, and now I think they were justified because they drove
      the point home with big pointy things and made the whole "you are my
      little lads" really stand out!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM ALL OVER
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      11) MORE ROWLING HOWLS

      To The Editor:

      I just have 2 things to say something about.

      1) In the puzzles section, I really really do think the other
      books should very much be covered. 'Carpet People' should
      very definitely be covered. Ooooooo, it's a luvvverlyyyyy tale.

      2) As for the Pterry and Rowling debate -- well, all I can say is
      -- I am certain Rowling read 'Strata' before she wrote the first
      book (hint - the invisibility cloak -- the way it looks to the onlooker),
      and 'Men at Arms' before she wrote the red eyes and the resurrection-
      speech of Voldemort (hint - Big Fido). Also, I might mention here that
      among the little circle I frequent, the opinion is rife that the latest book
      is anthology of fanfiction, while the earlier ones were anthologies of
      well-known, published literature (Dickens, Poe and so on). Like, you know,
      those reviews in scientific journals which summarise all the hitherto known
      aspects of the subject being dealt with and citing numerous