WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2005 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- AUGUST 2005 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

      5) FINAL REVISED U.S. PRATCHETT SIGNING SKED

      Date: Tuesday, Sept 13
      Location: Olsson's
      Time: 7:00 PM EDT
      Address: Arlington/Courthouse, 2111 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22201
      Telephone: 703-525-4227
      Email: arlington@...
      Additional Info: Author of "Going Postal", Terry Pratchett reads from
      his latest Discworld fantasy novel, Thud! When Commander Sam Vimes of
      the City Watch arrives at work, he confronts murder, incipient war, and
      a new recruit he knows just won't cut it.

      Date: Wednesday, September 14
      Location: Borders
      Time: 7:00 PM EDT
      Address: 1 S. Broad, Suite 100, Philadelphia, PA 19107
      Telephone: 215-568-7400
      Email: None

      Date: Thursday, September 15
      Location: Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Lincoln Center
      Time: 7:00 PM EDT
      Address: 1972 Broadway, New York, NY 10023 (Broadway & 66th)
      Telephone: 212-595-6859
      Email: None

      Date: Friday, September 16
      Location: Yale Bookstore
      Time: 12:30 PM EDT
      Address: 77 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
      Telephone: 203-777-8440
      Email: bksyale@...
      Additional Info: Meet Terry Pratchett, author of THUD! We are
      delighted to welcome best-selling author Terry Pratchett as he reads
      from and signs copies of his great new book, THUD! Location:
      Periodicals Department, Upper Level

      Date: Friday, September 16
      Location: Harvard Book Store
      Time: 7:00 PM EDT
      Address: Longfellow Hall, Askwith Lecture Hall, 13 Appian Way, Harvard
      Square, Cambridge, MA 02138
      Telephone: Charlotte Silver 617-661-1424 ext 2; 617-661-1515
      Email: csilver@...
      Additional Info: TERRY PRATCHETT reads from Thud! Harvard Book Store
      is delighted to announce that on Friday, September 16th Terry Pratchett
      will discuss his new book Thud! Bestselling author Terry Pratchett
      returns with his newest novel, Thud!, delivering the trademark insight
      and humor of one of the more significant contemporary English language
      satirists (Publishers Weekly). It started as a perfect day, the sun was
      shining, the birds singing, and Commander Sam Vines of the City Watch
      avoided nicking himself when he shaved that morning. Then he went to
      work --Thud!!! Suddenly, Vimes finds himself in the thick of looming
      disaster. He's got an unsolved murder to solve, an impending war to
      avert, a new recruit he'd really rather not hire, not to mention a pesky
      government inspector asking all the wrong questions. No tickets are
      required unless otherwise noted. Tickets for events requiring them are
      available at Harvard Book Store.

      Date: Saturday, September 17
      Location: Tattered Cover Book Store
      Time: 7:30 PM MDT
      Address: Historic LoDo, 1628 16th Street, Denver, CO 80202
      Telephone: 1-800-833-9327; 303-436-1070
      Email: books@...

      Date: Sunday, September 18
      Location: Capitola Book Cafe
      Time: 2:30 PM PDT
      Address: 1475 41st Avenue, Capitola, CA 95010
      Telephone: 831-462-4415
      Email: janet@...

      Date: Tuesday, September 20
      Location: Kepler's
      Time: 7:30 PM PDT
      Address: 1010 El Camino Real, Menlo Park, CA 94025
      Telephone: 650-324-4321
      Email: books@...

      Date: Wednesday, September 21
      Location: Cody's Books
      Time: 7:30 PM PDT
      Address: 2454 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94704
      Telephone: 1-800-995-1180; 510-845-7852
      Email: info@...

      Date: Thursday, September 22
      Location: The Booksmith
      Time: 7:00 PM PDT
      Address: 1644 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA 94117
      Telephone: 1-800-493-7323; 415-863-8688
      Email: read@...
      Additional Info: The date Locus lists on its Author Events page appears
      to be incorrect (http://www.locusmag.com/AuthorEventsByAuthor.html)

      Date: Friday, September 23
      Location: Vroman's Bookstore
      Time: 7:00 PM PDT
      Address: 695 E. Colorado Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91101
      Telephone: 626-449-5320
      Email: orders@...

      Date: Saturday, September 24
      Location: Mysterious Galaxy Books
      Time: 2:00 PM PDT
      Address: 7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., Suite #302, San Diego, CA 92111
      Telephone: 858-268-4747
      Email: mgbooks@...
      Additional Info: Terry Pratchett signs Thud! Details to follow. This is
      a numbered event. Numbers for the signing line are free with the
      purchase of Thud! from Mysterious Galaxy; on sale September 13. Please
      note: Numbers for the signing line (for those of you attending) will be
      issued with the purchase of the book on and after the on-sale date on a
      first come, first served basis. Purchases should be made in person or
      over the phone. All on-line orders will be processed as mail-outs or
      held for pickup after the signing. Contact the staff for details.

      Date: Sunday, September 25
      Location: Barnes & Noble Booksellers
      Time: 3:00 PM PDT
      Address: 7700 NE 4th Plain Blvd., Vancouver, WA 98662
      Telephone: 360-253-9007
      Email: crm2679@...

      Date: Monday, September 26
      Location: University Book Store
      Time: 7:00 PM PDT
      Address: University Temple Methodist Church, 1415 NE 43rd St., Seattle,
      WA 98105 (near University Book Store, 4326 University Way N.E.,
      Seattle, WA 98105; event held in church to accommodate more people)
      Telephone: 1-800-335-READ; 206-634-3400
      Email: ubsbooks@...

      Date: Tuesday, September 27
      Location: Third Place Books
      Time: 6:00 PM PDT
      Address: Lake Forest Park Towne Centre, 17171 Bothell Way NE, Lake
      Forest Park, WA 98155
      Telephone: 206-366-3333
      Email: comments@...

      6) MORE ON CLARECRAFT CLOSING

      A report from Elton Murphy:

      Just a brief note to let our registered shoppers know first that
      we have added 3 new FREE competitions to Collectors Gifts
      and these can be accessed via our homepage at:
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/

      Our Clarecraft collectors may recall that we mentioned that
      Clarecraft will cease trading in October. Since then, we have
      been inundated with orders. I dare say that the same has
      happened with many other stockists.

      Clarecraft have actually been off on holiday and will start
      making these items to order as from Monday, so please
      expect long delays. We will get your goods, but it won't
      be as quick as usual!

      Also, we have now been informed that we have to pay for
      our orders from Clarecraft when we place them, rather than
      on our usual credit terms. As you can imagine, that's a
      considerable sum of money that Yours Truly has had to
      borrow from the bank! All orders placed with us so far have
      been lodged with Clarecraft and the purse strings will stretch
      a bit further. However, we may need to wait until a few deliveries
      have arrived from Clarecraft (and we've charged our customers)
      before placing many more.

      Why am I telling you this?

      Well, just to reiterate an earlier point that the Clarecraft doors
      will close for good in October and, if you want any of their items,
      we really do need to know as early as possible. i.e. NOW!

      I have worked with giftware for many years and have seen how
      upsetting it can be for people if they miss out on 'just a limited
      edition'. Well, the whole of the Clarecraft range has become
      extremely limited now and time is running out.

      If you need any help, please call Julian during normal office hours
      on 01538 388333.

      Elton Murphy
      http://www.collectorsgifts.co.uk/

      7) ANNIE'S QUIZ

      Our Managing Editor, Annie Mac, has thoughtfully provided
      a multiple choice quiz so you can test your deep and
      profound knowledge of the Discworld:

      1. What happens to a male troll when watching a troll stripper
      perform?

      a) he listens to rock music and gets stoned
      b) he goes wild when she puts on an overcoat
      c) his lichen begins to swell

      2. What is a Procrastinator?

      a) a wizard who lingers over breakfast until elevenses are served
      b) a time-stretching machine used by the History Monks
      c) the opposite of an amateur crastinator

      3. Ronron Shuwadhi is better known on the Discworld as:

      a) the fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse
      b) Foul Ole Ron
      c) the inventor of pizza

      4. What is Captain Findthee Swing's unusual hobby?

      a) collecting antique torture implements
      b) measuring people's faces to determine their personalities
      c) grinding bones to make his bread

      5. The definition of Dolly Sisters:

      a) Dotsie and Sadie
      b) a district in Ankh-Morpork
      c) founders of the Ecdysiasts' Guild

      6. What is Sergeant Jackrum's favourite saying?

      a) "I'm not a violent man!"
      b) "A man's got to know where his socks are."
      c) "You're a big girl's blouse, Blouse."

      7. The family motto of Rudolph Potts of the Bakers' Guild is:

      a) Get your hands on my buns
      b) Because I knead the dough
      c) Rising in the yeast

      8. The Rite of AshkEnte is performed with:

      a) three small bits of wood and 4cc of mouse blood
      b) eight wizards, dribbly candles and a fresh egg
      c) a white sport-coat and a pink carnation

      9. The greatest danger whilst browsing in the UU Library is:

      a) being hit by ricocheting .303 bookworms
      b) slipping on banana peels
      c) being read by the books
      d) all of the above

      10. The Necrotelicomnicon is also known as:

      a) De Mysteriis Vermis
      b) Liber Paginarum Fulvarum
      c) the Bumper Fun Grimoire

      11. A Bledlow is:

      a) a lobster that dwells near the Circumfence
      b) a Unseen University porter
      c) an embarrassing facial disfigurement as seen on Nobby Nobbs

      12. What is the correct name for the inhabitants of Llamedos?

      a) Llamedese
      b) Llamedosians
      c) Llamas
      d) Miserable old rock-fondling Druids

      13. Who invented the Discworld's first flushing toilet?

      a) Thomas Crapper
      b) Sir Charles Lavatory
      c) Achmed al-Khazi

      14. Which of the following is *not* an ingredient of Wow-Wow Sauce?

      a) grated wahoonie
      b) Higgs and Meakins chocolate
      c) sulphur

      15. Who was the last King of Ankh-Morpork?

      a) Mad Lord Snapcase
      b) Grimnir the Impaler
      c) Lorenzo the Kind

      I'm embarrassed to report that Ye Kindly Editor
      did terrible on this quiz, despite having read all
      the Holy Works at least 3 times. To see how well
      you did, look for the answers in next month's issue.

      8) BATTLE THAT NEVER WAS

      Annie Mac, our crusading Managing Editor, has provided the
      straight dope on the so-called "storm in a teacup" of recent time,
      when Pterry's comment was taken out of context, and Rowling's
      probably was, too :-)

      That Pterry vs JKR thing
      (compiled by the Red Countess)

      What Rowling said to "Time" magazine (contains spoilers for all HP
      books):

      http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1083935,00.html

      What he actually wrote (transcript of his letter to "The Sunday
      Times" which is not on their website):

      http://www.mugglenet.com/terrypratchett.shtml

      The BBC's spin (which has apparently been toned down):

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4732385.stm

      PTerry's response to the way the BBC reported his remarks:

      http://www.wizardnews.com/story.20050802.html

      Neil Gaiman's take on things:

      http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/2005/08/footnote-to-teacup.asp