WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2005 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2005 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

      4) BLUE SPHERE GAMES

      Birmingham, UK and London, UK - Blue Sphere Games Ltd., a leading
      developer of mobile games and content, together with Mr. Terry
      Pratchett, the world famous author of fantasy fiction, have announced a
      worldwide Licence Agreement for the creation of Discworld branded
      mobile phone games.

      The Agreement grants a three-year, worldwide license to Blue Sphere
      Games for the creation and distribution of mobile games
      incorporating Rincewind, Twoflower, the Luggage and other characters
      from the Discworld series of novels.

      Blue Sphere Games has the rights for the distribution of mobile
      games and other forms of content, featuring some of the Discworld's
      most famous inhabitants, globally on mobile devices. Blue Sphere
      Games will develop a portfolio of games, the first of which will be
      available in October 2005.

      Colin Smythe, who represents Mr. Pratchett, commented: "This is
      uncharted territory for us, and we are much looking forward to
      seeing how this first game, involving Rincewind and the Discworld,
      is enjoyed by mobile phone users."

      David Bozward, Chairman of Blue Sphere Games Ltd says: "The
      Discworld Novels are some of the most widely read fantasy books in
      existence. Through development skills and widespread distribution
      channels, we can bring this fantasy world successfully to the mobile
      gaming user globally.

      More details about Blue Sphere Games Ltd can be found on their
      website - http://www.bluespheregames.com
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      To the Editor:

      I was checking on Darwin's Watch when I found this
      copy of the Soul Music, Illustrated Edition:
      http://www.angusrobertson.com.au/products
      /detailed.asp?bookid=0552145564&db=au

      Has anyone got it? Is it worth tracking down a copy?
      Apart from it being discworld, of course.

      -- Paul Godsil
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      To the Editor:

      That's not the Illustrated Edition of the novel, if you look at the text on
      the cover - it's the Illustrated Screenplay of the animated series. I've
      seen it in bookshops before, although I've never really looked into it,
      but I expect it's only really worth it if a) you really liked the animated
      series, b) you're such a PTerry fan you have to own *everything* related to
      the Discworld, or c) like Vetinari, who prefers to read the score of music,
      you'd rather read the screenplay than watch the cartoon.

      -- ConMan, who realises there was something else he was going to post
      about but he has to rush off now and will hopefully remember to do it later.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      To the Editor:

      I shall be in the North-East of England from approx 27th to 30th July.

      Is there any interest in a DurhamMeet or a NewcastleMeet? Alternatively,
      there might be a faint possibility of an EdinburghMeet. This period does
      coincide with the Tall Ships Race being in Newcastle. Unfortunately, it
      is also the runup to CCDE weekend.

      If anybody is still in the area during those dates and would like to
      meet me and/or see the tall ships, let me know and I'll think about
      organising something. Or persuading somebody else to do so. Contacting
      me by email would be best, as I'm not reading afp at present.

      --Simon Waldman, UK
      email: swaldman@...

      I've just got The Bookseller's Pocket Yearbook for 2005
      which provides book statistics for 2003. Of the Top Fiction
      Authors in hardback, Terry came second with 3.4% of the
      sales and 3.8% of the value, after J.K.Rowling (who got 6.0%
      and 5.6% respectively)

      In the paperbacks, Terry came fifth (after James Patterson,
      Alexander McCall Smith, John Grisham and J.R.R.Tolkien
      - in that order) with 1.2% of the sales and 1.3% of the value
      - James Patterson got 1.9% of sales and 1.7% of the value).

      Terry was therefore ahead of Stephen King in both hardcover
      (by quite a lot) and paperback sales (just) (if you want to
      mention that).

      In the US, HarperCollins will be publishing Terry's companion
      book to THUD!, called WHERE'S MY COW. As none of the
      diaries and related Discworld publications have ever been
      published as yet in the US, I am naturally interested to see
      how popular it will be.

      A short story by Terry appeared in the 13 May issue of The
      Times Higher Education Supplement (pages 16-17). It was
      headed "A COLLEGIATE CASTING-OUT OF DEVILISH DEVICES.
      Wizards at Terry Pratchett’s Unseen University can fight black
      magic, but can they withstand the grey array of targets, inspections
      and research assessments?"

      -- Colin Smythe

      > It would appear that the hedgehog needs to change its
      > tune. . .
      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4637355.stm

      From the article : Dr Valerie Keeble of the Mammals Trust UK (MTUK)
      said people should leave their gardens a bit haphazard to encourage the
      animals' return. "Don't be too tidy in your garden," she told BBC News.
      "Leave some rough areas and leave a few bushes and hedges, and
      twigs on the ground.

      By that reckoning, I shouldn't be able to move in my garden without
      stepping on hedgehogs!

      -- The Snow Queen

      [Ed: No problem. I'll be happy to send you some local garden
      visitors: snakes, alligators, possums, and big nasty iguanas.
      They all think hedgehogs are delicious.]
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) DW THEATER NEWS

      Here are the current UK schedules for PT plays and other events:

      [UK] Maskerade will be performed at The People's Theatre, Heaton,
      Newcastle upon Tyne from Tues 12 - Sat 16 July 2005. Tickets are
      available on 0191 2655020. More information can be found at
      http://www.peoples-theatre.co.uk

      [UK] Wyrd Sisters will be performed at The Minnack Theatre in
      Cornwall Monday 25 July to Friday 29 July 2005. This will be an
      outside production despite any weather interference. Tickets can be
      purchased from http://www.minack.com/

      [UK] The 2005 Clarecraft Event will take place on 29th - 31st July
      2005 at its usual venue of Warren Farm. The theme of the event will
      be Monstrous Regiment. Details will soon appear at
      http://www.clarecraft.co.uk/Event.htm

      [UK, UPDATED] Kennet Amateur Theatrical Society will be performing
      The Truth from 11 to 13 August 2005 at Kennet School, Stoney Lane,
      Thatcham (off J13 of the M4). Tickets are priced at 7 GBP for
      adults and 5 GBP for children/OAPs and can be ordered via their
      website http://www.kats.org.uk