WOSSNAME -- MAY 2005 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- MAY 2005 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      3) DW THEATER NEWS (continued)

      Here are the rest of the schedules for PT plays and other events:

      UK] Ilkley Players are presenting Wyrd Sisters in their Wharfeside
      Theatre, Weston Road, Ilkley LS29 8DW from Monday 31 May to Saturday
      12 June 2005. Performances are every evening except Sunday,
      commencing at 7.30pm. The Box Office (01943 609539) is open on
      weekdays from 10.00am to 12.00 noon. For further details see
      http://www.playhouse.ilkley.org

      They are also presenting the same production of Wyrd Sisters at the
      open air Minack Theatre in Porthcurno, Penzance, Cornwall, TR19 6JU
      from Monday 25 to Friday 29 July 2005. Performances are every
      evening at 8.00pm with matinees on Wednesday and Friday which start
      at 2.00pm. The Minack Box Office (01736 810181/471) opens on Monday
      2 May. For further details see http://www.minack.com

      [UK] Maskerade will be performed at The People's Theatre, Heaton,
      Newcastle upon Tyne from Tues 12 - Sat 16 July 2005. Tickets are
      available on 0191 2655020. More information can be found at
      http://www.peoples-theatre.co.uk

      [UK] The 2005 Clarecraft Event will take place on 29th - 31st July
      2005 at its usual venue of Warren Farm. The theme of the event will
      be Monstrous Regiment. Details will soon appear at
      http://www.clarecraft.co.uk/Event.htm

      [UK] Kennet Amateur Theatrical Society will be performing The Truth
      by Terry Pratchett as adapted for the stage by Stephen Briggs from
      11 to 13 August 2005 at Kennet School in Thatcham (off J13 of the
      M4). Tickets are priced at 7GBP for adults and 5GBP for children /
      OAPs and can be ordered via their website http://www.kats.org.uk
      Full details of the show including information on how to bid for
      some very special Discworld-related items in the sealed-bid auction
      can also be found on the website.

      [UK] Wadfest 2005 will take place over the weekend of the 2nd to 5th
      September 2005 at a new campsite. More details can be found at the
      Wadfest website http://www.wadfest.co.uk

      [CA] Maskerade... The Opera! Yes, it's true. After being
      interpreted in many different mediums, The Discworld is now coming
      to you in a new opera based on the novel "Maskerade". This project
      has been given the approval of Mr. Terry Pratchett himself, and it
      is shaping up to be a fantastic theatrical event.
      The production dates are June 22 - 25th, 2005 (4 performances) On
      the Shoctor stage at the Citadel Theatre Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
      You can find out more about this production at
      http://www.maskeradetheopera.com
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) BOOK REVIEW:

      THE SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD III -- DARWIN'S WATCH
      by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen
      Ebury Press (London, 5 May 2005)
      Hardcover, 344 pages, ISBN 0-091-89823-4
      GBP: 17.99 Amazon price: GBP: 10.79

      Roundworld is in trouble again, and this time it looks fatal. Having
      created it in the first place, the wizards of Unseen University feel
      vaguely responsible for its safety. They know the creatures who
      lived there escaped the impending Big Freeze by inventing the
      space elevator - they even intervened to rid the planet of a plague
      of elves, who attempted to divert humanity onto a different time track.
      But now it's all gone wrong - Victorian England has stagnated and
      the pace of progress would embarrass a limping snail. Unless
      something drastic is done, there won't be time for anyone to invent
      spaceflight and the human race will be turned into ice-pops. Why,
      though, did history come adrift? Was it Sir Arthur Nightingale's
      dismal book about natural selection? Or was it the devastating
      response by an obscure country vicar called Charles Darwin,
      whose bestselling Theology of Species made it impossible to
      refute the divine design of living creatures? Either way, it's no
      easy task to change history, as the wizards discover to their cost.
      Can the God of Evolution come to humanity's aid and ensure
      Darwin writes a very different book? And who stopped him writing
      it in the first place?

      That's the plot summary from Amazon.

      Not everyone liked it. Here's what one British reader had to say:

      SHORT ON BALANCE:

      This was always a curious spin-off series but it had held its
      own until now. What there is of the Discworld narrative feels
      as if it was patched around the science stuff and therefore feels
      a little thin. But it is the tone of the science stuff that starts to
      irritate. I like tolerance in all forms, especially intellectual tolerance
      and this strays from it in several places. I got a bit fed up with
      being told that scientists are always right and everyone else is
      wrong, especially after having just been told that scientists get it
      wrong regularly but that is ok because they then start to get it right
      ... eventually ... for a given value of right. The authors preach
      against fundamentalism and then proceed to indulge in a little of
      their own and that distracts from the main narrative.

      If you are interested in the science stuff and don't mind the occasional
      rant then buy it, there is some interesting stuff to be learned. If you
      are only interested in the Discworld component then borrow the book
      from a library because it looks like Terry got edged out a bit in the
      balance of things.
      ******************
      As for your humble editor's opinion, if you're really desperate for a new
      DW novel and don't want to wait until September, you might seriously
      consider reading "The Science of Discworld III." I'll be honest, some
      chapters are pure Terry and others are some sort of scientific drivel
      written by his co-authors. The good news is that Terry's chapters stand
      alone to make up a coherent story. As for the rest of the book, if you like
      deep scientific stuff, you may find it delightful also. Otherwise, if you're
      like many of us, your eyes will start to glaze over and you'll start
      flipping
      through pages to get to the good stuff.

      Hey, we can't all be Ponder Stibbons....
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      To the Editor:

      In ozdw@yahoogroups.com, Paul Godsil <bu_librarian@y...> wrote:
      > What colour are Binky's eyes?

      I thought they were blue. It's an odd colour for a horse, but isn't
      there a description somewhere? There's a sort of reminiscence about
      more appropriate horses, like the skeleton horse and the flaming
      horse, and the associated problems, which is how Death ended up with
      Binky. Can't remember which book, maybe Reaper Man or Mort?

      To the Editor:

      > On Saturday 28 May 2005 17:08, Paul Godsil wrote:
      >
      >> Explanation - Discworld Monthly has a quiz. One of the questions was
      >> "What colour are Binky's eyes." and their answer was 'Red'. Yet my
      >> copy of the Companion says that Binky is a flesh and blood horse and
      >> I can't remember anywhere what colour Binky's eyes are mentioned.
      >>
      >> Anyone remember?
      >
      > I do have a vague remembrance of PTerry talking about "mad red eyes"
      > in reference to some horse.
      > -- Steven D'Aprano

      >If we are allowed to use the artwork as a guide, then Binky has black eyes
      on p.155 of The Last Hero.

      -- Paul Blake

      Can anyone find anything? I started to look through MORT, but got drawn
      in and read dozens of pages before I even realized it. What an amazing book!

      -- Editor