    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2005 -- PART 4 OF 5

      3) OTHER NEWS

      Curve Entertainment presents....
      "MASKERADE - the OPERA"
      Based on the Discworld novel by Terry Pratchett

      EDMONTON, Alberta, Canada - Curve Entertainment has
      announced a new opera based on Terry Pratchett's novel
      "Maskerade," according to an announcement from Brendan
      "Beej" Dery, VP, Productions, at Curve Entertainment,

      As far as we know, this is the first of Terry's novels to be
      turned into an opera.

      "Maskerade - the Opera" is the story of Agnes Nitt, a young witch
      with a magical voice who travels to the bustling city-state
      of Ankh-Morpork to make her mark as an opera singer. Featuring
      fan-favourite characters Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg,
      "Maskerade" borrows heavily on the plot from "The Phantom of the
      Opera" to create a fresh, satirical look at modern stage musicals.

      "After reading "Maskerade - the Opera" several years ago, I knew it
      would make an excellent adaptation to a full, comedic opera, "said
      Jared Samborski, composer. "We've worked very hard to create a faithful
      adaptation from the book to the stage that we're sure the fans will enjoy."

      Combining Pratchett's sharp, British wit and heaping doses of satire
      with the elements of classic opera, "Maskerade - the Opera" bridges the gap
      between high culture and pop culture, attracting a fresh, young audience to
      the opera house.

      "Maskerade - the Opera" is being staged June 22-25, 2005 at the Shoctor
      Theatre, a part of the Citadel Theatre complex in downtown Edmonton, Alberta.
      Ticket sales, in part, will be going towards assisting battered women's
      shelters in Edmonton.

      Information on "Maskerade - the Opera" can be found at:
      and tickets are now on sale through the Citadel website:

      The Australian Discworld Convention has been moved from January 2006
      to 9th - 11th of February 2007. There are a number of reasons for
      this change of date but the primary one is fitting in better with
      Terry's plans to visit Australia.

      More information can be found at http://www.ausdwcon.org

      Kate writes from Australia:

      >After all the talk of yet another MelMeet and yet another SydMeet proposal,
      >there is a good possibility of a Brismeet in June sometime. Our resident
      >Weather Goddess thinks she may be staying a day or three here and has
      >emailed me and Peta with the suggestion. She also said to say hi to the
      >list, she been a bit busy at work what with all the RHG's... er work that's
      >going around.
      >Not heard from Paul Blake for a little bit, did you get your drive sorted?
      >And would you be interested in expanding the BrisMeet to 4 persons?

      I can say with absolute certainty that I may or may not be able to attend a
      BrisMeet in June. If it's in the first 10 days of the month, then I ought
      to be available, however if it's later in the month, I'll be unable to make
      it, because I'm leaving to go to deepest, darkest Peru on the 11th.

      -- Peta.

      To the Editor:

      My husband, an avid reader of fantasy (I'm more into mysteries, particularly
      "cozies" from England; we're both employed in the library field), picked up
      "Thief of Time" at our local library. He thought it was awful, but
      recommended it to me. I read it . . . and the rest is history. I've become a Terry
      Pratchett fanatic . . . collecting and rereading everything and anything written
      by him, and purchasing various fandom items. My husband still won't try to
      read any of the other TP books. Although, as we both love Australia, he's
      encouraging us to go to the 2006 Convention . . .

      -- Andrea Denninger
      Kenosha, WI, USA

      To the Editor:

      I was so sorry to hear of your heart attack. The folks who filled in for you
      did a good job but you were missed and must stay well to keep all of us

      I'm sure that my tale is not unique, but I finally thought I'd break my
      silent lurking on this list to respond to you request to tell how we
      discovered Terry/Discworld.

      I still consider myself something of a Discworld proselyte which, given the
      extent of my zeal, may be pathetic, a sign of denial or both.

      In 1998, I had been carrying on a correspondence relationship with a
      brilliant, theatrical (in every sense of both of those words) Brit - Bernie,
      the science teacher. When Bernie came to the US on a job interview, we
      arranged to have him come visit me. He brought with him a copy of "Moving
      Pictures" which he proceeded to read aloud to me over the next 2 days as
      part of an attempted seduction. Sadly his visit was cut short before we
      managed to reach a climax, literary or otherwise. Being a gentleman, he left
      me the book so I could finish by myself. (You've got to love a man who
      arrives at your door ready to seduce you with Discworld! I must confess that
      Bernie gives "good Pratchett"; he is a wonderful reader and especially good
      at vocal characterization. His Gaspode the Wonder Dog is the definitive
      reading for me and will ever after be how that mangy, irrepressible and
      strangely irresistible canine sounds in my head.)

      While I was more than a little taken with Bernie, the fascination he held
      for me was nil compared to the hold that Terry had over me by time I turned
      the final page. While I am a voracious reader, I'd very little experience
      with fantasy (Marion Zimmer Bradley and Anne McAffrey being the sum total of
      same). I raced right out to buy as many Pratchett books as I could find in
      my local Books R Us only to be appalled at how few in number and variety
      they were. Ever hopeful, I picked up a few books by other fantasy authors
      who shall remain nameless but...they just didn't satisfy in the same way. I
      did notice that I found the humor in my UK edition of MP somehow funnier
      than its US cousin (when given a choice, take both, I always say). So I
      decided that, in addition to my US versions of various books, I had to have
      the UK ones too. Well really, how else could one compare them and get the
      full experience. Seeing this in writing, it is disturbing how suspiciously
      like 'pin collecting' this sounds. Am I a Pratchett-head?

      Anyway, I ended up importuning a friend who was traveling to
      vaguely-European-parts-not-mentionable on behalf of the National Security
      Agency (NSA being even more secretive than the CIA) to act as my purchasing
      agent. Why I didn't go to amazon.co.uk is beyond me; it just shows how badly
      my incipient addiction had addled my brain. H (his code name) was handed a
      list of ALL of the books by Pratchett in print at the time and a pile of
      cash in small unmarked bills the sum of which made me blanch and hastily
      recalculate my grocery budget for the next 6 months.

      Some six weeks later, bless me if he didn't come through. H. arrived with a
      small black suitcase of UK paperbacks, hardbacks, calendars - all and sundry

      Pratchettiana that he could find. Apparently he put his professional
      information gathering 'connections' to use in service to my addiction. I
      retired to my tiny apartment and didn't emerge until 4 days later, pale,
      bleary-eyed and ready for more.

      And thus it has continued. I reserve copies of both US and UK editions as
      soon as they are available and re-read much of my current library to tide me
      over between new books. Well-intentioned enablers feed my addiction by
      trying to find me copies in other languages, only some of which I can
      actually read. I cherish the futile dream that I could actually become a
      polyglot simply by reading translated Discworld novels simultaneously with
      their English (or American) counterparts. My prize possession, one of a few
      books on the short list of things that I would grab in a fire is a hardback
      original printing of Light Fantastic signed by the great Man himself. I
      plan to come to the 2006 Discworld Convention... unless one of my friends
      stages an intervention and I am in a 12-step program by then.

      -- Katy Evans
      Baltimore MD USA

      To the Editor:

      Well, my first origins date back to 1997 when I bought a copy of Good Omens
      in the York train station. (One of my grandmothers, whom we nicknamed
      Apocalypse Grandma, was very interested in End Times and her name was
      Agnes. How could I *not* buy a book like that?) As I read it on the way to
      London I gave up trying to hide my outbursts of laughter - after all, I was
      an American tourist and we're probably expected to do that sort of thing on

      Fast forward to early 2000 and a trip to a local used book store. Spurred
      on by memories of Good Omens, previous and repeated urgings by Anna M.
      Conina, and the bargain price of $3.00, I purchased Soul Music. I figured
      Music With Rocks In sounded pretty interesting, being a Former Big Haired
      80s Rock Chick.

      I was hooked. I laughed, I learned, I read it so fast the pages smouldered.
      A whole new world of fantasy and humour awaited me! I started buying
      Discworld novels in sets of three since I couldn't bear not to have a new
      adventure to read once I'd finished the others. When I ran out of
      Discworld, it was on to Terry's other books. And now I'm eagerly awaiting
      Thud, especially after hearing bits of it read by The Man himself.

      -- Val

      To the Editor:

      I should preface this by saying that my brother and I, despite
      seven years difference in age, have become quite good friends
      (barring of course typical sibling rivalry and teasing, and then
      only after reaching an age most would consider "mature" -- or at
      least mature enough).

      I recall that many years ago, my older brother had asked me
      to go to the book store for his Hogswatch Day gift, and gave me
      only an author name, Terry Pratchett. He said that the book he
      wanted would be obvious once I found the author's books. Having
      reached the store, I found the section and author, and was thinking
      "How will I know the right one?" when I saw it: The title "Faust"
      crossed out with a splash of red paint, and the name "Eric" written
      over it. Since my brother's name is Eric, I got the hint. ;)

      But my own first reading happened several years later. After
      Christmas dinner, I was helping to tidy up when he said he wanted
      to show me something, and pulled out a book called Wyrd Sisters.
      With a huge grin on his face, he said, "Just read the first page."
      After giving him a funny look, I said "OK" and did so. And found
      The Line that had me hooked ever since: "Finally another voice said,
      in far more ordinary tones: 'Well, I can do next Tuesday.'" I couldn't
      stop laughing. My whole family thought I'd turned into a loon.

      The whole build up of the MacBeth aura up to that point with the
      contrast of that one Line was too much for me and I couldn't get
      enough; I now have most of his novels in hardcover, and always
      order his latest before it comes out.

      Many thanks to Terry for lots of laughs, spoofs, and nods to some
      of the other fantastic authors out there, among them Anne McCaffrey
      and Jo Rowling.

      -- Kristin Stenlund

      To the Editor:

      Going through Joy Beeson's W.E.B. directory I came across your
      name and your mention of Terry Pratchett made me smile. While
      I haven't been an active fan for a long time, one of my most treasured
      memories is walking alongside Terry Pratchett as he went through the
      Art Show at a Tuscon Fantasy and Horror Convention. He was such
      a warm and wonderful person, and very gracious -- and when the
      inevitable oh, my piece of art ... the expression on his face was
      priceless. Glad to hear someone else loves his work!

      I was feeling a little alone, even though I have gotten one of my kids
      hooked, it's not the same as having someone else to talk to. Besides,
      I taught that particular kid to talk -- I know what she has to say almost
      before she says it, sigh.

      Have you read any Christopher Moore? Others of my horde are
      passionate about him as well. Hope I haven't bothered you too badly,

      --Rikki Winters, N3F