WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2005 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2005 -- PART 2 OF 5 (continued)

      ====Part 2

      "Long Live the Changing Things To a More
      Equitable State While Retaining Due Respect
      For the Traditions of Our Forbears!"

      The oldest and most inscrutable empire on the Discworld is in turmoil,
      brought about by the revolutionary treatise "What I Did On My Holidays"
      written by Twoflower - the Discworld's first tourist.

      Workers are uniting, with nothing to lose but their water buffaloes.
      Warlords are struggling for power. All that stands in the way of terrible
      doom for everyone is Rincewind the inept Wizard, a group
      of toy-rabbit-wielding rebels, an army of terracotta warriors,
      and The Silver Horde led by Cohen the Barbarian Hero.

      Interesting Times sees the return of Rincewind played by
      Chris Irving who first appeared for Unseen as "Brother Fingers"
      in Guards! Guards!. He also had a small "practice" cameo as
      his current character Rincewind in Mort last year.

      Rincewind is supported in his endeavours by The Red Army
      (a group of toy-rabbit-wielding rebels) and The Silver Horde
      (a group of ancient warriors) led by Cohen the Barbarian Hero.

      Steven Parker who was last seen as Commander Vimes in
      Unseen's most recent production of NightWatch plays Cohen the
      Barbarian and is ably supported by Sam Priestly as the Teach,
      Nik Hargreaves as Caleb the Ripper, Paul Burger as Truckle
      the Uncivil, Merri Brown as Vena the Raven-haired and Damien
      White as Mad Hamish, all of whom make up "The Silver Horde".

      Andrew Dowling who was nominated for the Adelaide Critic's Circle
      Awards and also won an Oscart Award (Advertiser) in 2003 for his role
      as "a very funny Igneous Cutwell"in Mort has returned for two parts in
      this production. He will play Fate (self-explanatory) and "Twoflower",
      author of the revolutionary treatise ("What I Did on My Holidays").

      There's still time to see it if you hustle.

      WHEN: March 17 to April 2
      Wednesdays to Saturdays at 8pm

      WHERE: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street, Adelaide

      TICKETS: Adults $15, Concession $12, Groups (10 or more) $10
      Thai Hutt Dinner Deal $30 (meal and theatre ticket)

      BOOKINGS: BASS 131246 or The Bakehouse Theatre on 82270505

      Just in case people have missed it, Terry will be at the Elf Fantasy Fair
      which takes place on 23 and 24 April near Utrecht. He has confirmed on
      a.f.p. that he will be there both days.

      Other guests include author Diane Duane who I seem to recall has some fans
      here and a whole bunch of LoTR people like Andy Serkis and John Noble.
      More info at <http://www.elffantasy.nl>. Partial English and German
      translations are linked to further down the page.

      On the evening of the 24th, Terry will be doing a talk and signing at the
      Rotterdam Bibliotheektheater as part of the library's SF/F month.

      Address and reservations: Bibliotheektheater, Hoogstraat 110, Rotterdam,
      phone (010) 281 62 62
      Date: Sunday 24 April 2005
      Time: 20:30
      Price: 7 euros; concession, 6 euros
      Website: http://www.bibliotheek.rotterdam.nl/ContentNieuws.cfm?ID=1382
      SF/F month: http://www.bibliotheek.rotterdam.nl/ThemaNieuws.cfm?ID=5

      by Annie Mac

      Nearly five years ago, I was randomly browsing the internet on the
      Hex my brother had sent me for the purposes of keeping in touch with
      family. For no particular reason - other than being an aficionado of
      the works of Terry Pratchett - I decided to Google on "Discworld". I
      was delighted at the number of hits the search threw up, and there
      was one site in particular that caught my eye: Bugarup University,
      aka ozdw@yahoogroups.com, an Australian-based email discussion group.

      I clicked on the site, which in those days was publicly viewable, and
      was immediately struck by the high level of wit and creative
      silliness in the posts there. It struck me straightaway as more of an
      anything-and-everything discussion lists peopled by Pratchett fans
      (rather than a list for specific discussion of the Discworld novels
      and their characters, which wasn't something that interested me
      much), so I joined the group...and was instantly pulled into a wild,
      weird and wonderful world of punes, daft (and sometimes earnest, and
      sometimes even rather heated) sociopolitical discussions,
      cross-realities storytelling, and, well, people behaving as if they
      *were* living on Discworld and attending a magical University. I
      loved it! I rocked up and joined in the general wizardliness, and
      have been doing so ever since.

      I was about as far as one can get from the archetype of the
      traditional net nerd - I had a lifelong career in the creative and
      performing arts, more social life than I knew what to do with, and a
      lively (if ultimately dysfunctional) marriage. I lived in a
      beautiful, soul-satisfying farmhouse on the sea in the beautiful,
      green country of my birth. I'd only ever used email for family and
      business purposes, and had never been in a chatroom in my life...nor
      had any reason to want to. The last thing on my mind (well, it wasn't
      even in the list of things my mind might be *on*) was the notion of
      packing a couple of small bags, abandoning home, hearth, husband
      and family and running away to the unknown land of XXXX. But as the
      months and the fun (and fnu) discussions went on, I "met" some
      excellent and interesting people via BU, and...yes, you guessed it. I
      live in Australia now. With a new SO. And a totally different life.

      It still involves Bugarup University, though. And Terry Pratchett
      books. Just rather a lot more sunshine and sushi and poisonous wildlife.

      To be sure, BU has changed over the years. Our esteemed
      Archchancellor, Robin, went a-wandering in Parts Unknown, leaving us
      in the care of our esteemed ArchDean, Nathan - who also appears to
      have long since gone a-wandering in Parts Unknown, but the campus
      wobbles on regardless in its usual fashion. Some members have been
      captured by the dreaded Real Life Demons; some, from earliest days,
      have returned; there have been timid newbies who didn't survive the
      first week (or the first encounter with Libwolf, our shapechanging
      Librarian, or the first campus custard-fight...) and robust newbies
      who ended up becoming members of Faculty. There have been
      friendships, romances and endless Meets. There have been Saturday
      morning chats in the Uncommon Room. There has been Hania Ogg, who
      was a friend of mine before she joined BU but who personifies the true
      character of young Nanny in all the important aspects (Pterry would
      approve, methinks, even if he *is* terrified of Hania's Infamous
      Breasts which show up at every book signing). There has been
      Strawberry Wobbler. We've even invented our own beer, Spiffy - a
      truly life-giving substance favoured by the various Undead on campus.

      Things at BU go in cycles. The campus is quiet of late, but every
      time we oldbies and mediumbies think it may be time to close the
      lecture halls and exit through that secret window in Room 3b, someone
      comes along - or returns - and suddenly the lunacy starts again. It's
      just a shame that the public can't see a taste of our goings-on;
      sadly, there will be no more random accidental Googlers likely to
      discover the creaking ironbound gates and enter the magical realm of
      the cybercampus.

      I'd like to thank BU for totally stuffing up my life and influencing
      me to do completely ridiculous and ill-conceived things. Long may it

      8) DISCWORLD CON 2006

      The Discworld Convention will be the biggest Discworld event
      in 2006 -- a glorious four-day weekend where fans of Terry
      Pratchett can get together, relax, enjoy each other's company,
      meet Terry and the other guests, attend some (or many) of the
      scores of programme events, and generally Have A Good Time...

      It will be held at the Hinckley Island Hotel, Hinckley, Leicestershire,
      in the UK from 18th to 21st August 2006. The Convention theme
      will be 'Behind the Mask' from MASKERADE.

      The Guest of Honour will be Terry Pratchett, of course, and
      the other Guests will include Stephen Briggs, Bernard Pearson,
      Trevor Truran, Colin Smythe, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen,
      Diane Duane, Peter Morwood, David Langford, Lionel Fanthorpe,
      and many others.