WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2005 -- PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      MARCH 2005 (Volume 8, Issue 3)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: Jared Hays
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1) EDITORIAL
      2) MINICON (USA) -- FIRST ADVANCE REPORT
      3) UPCOMING BOOKS
      4) CHEERY LITTLEBOTTOM ON THE NET

      ====Part 2

      5) THEATER NEWS (AUSTRALIA)
      6) TERRY IN HOLLAND
      7) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY: FAR FROM THE NET HERD
      8) DISCWORLD CON 2006

      ====Part 3

      9) HOW I DISCOVERED TERRY PRATCHETT
      10) PUMPKIN MEET CONTINUES?

      ====Part 4

      11) SIMILARITIES: VIMES vs PEEL: Part III

      ====Part 5

      5) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      1) EDITORIAL

      As the old song goes,

      Spring is sprung
      The flowers riz,
      I wonder where
      Da boidies
      Iz

      Yes, here we are again. Filled with green tea, we push on
      into the jungles of Discworld, looking for the secrets of
      the Universe and a quiet place to lie down after revealing
      them.

      Not much happened last month, my cosmological possums
      (to quote the inimitable Anaemia Asterisk), so it was a very
      good month after all.

      You are about to discover what Cheery Littlebottom actually
      looks like, exciting theater news from Australia, all the new
      Terry books lined up for the next few months, and the Pratchett
      Plan for Holland.

      All this, plus the smashing conclusion of our mind-boggling
      article on the similarities between Samuel Vimes and
      Robert Peel.

      Sit down, put your feet up, and prepare your mind for contact!

      -- Joe

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) MINICON (USA) -- FIRST ADVANCE REPORT

      by Anna M. Conina, Convention News Editor

      I literally just got home from Minicon about an hour ago, and have to
      unpack and work 12-9 tomorrow, so I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be
      able to get anything done for this month's issue if I also want to
      squeeze sleep and food into the equation.

      Val and I do plan to submit a report next month, although it will be
      a *lot* shorter than the Noreascon one (because I'm only insane
      enough to write something that long once). We had a wonderful time.

      Val and I wore a different costume each day -- on Friday she was
      Lady Sybil in pink tulle and I was Cheery Littlebottom in red sequins,
      on Saturday we were Ankh-Morpork's first combination
      Seamstress/Assassins, and on Sunday she was a black ribboner
      vampire and I was Susan Death.

      We attended every Terry panel (including his pre-con speech at the
      Southdale Library), volunteered to help with the art show and auction
      (to which Terry donated $500, in addition to rare Discworld items),
      were assigned to be Terry's co-judges/helpers at the masquerade,
      heard some wonderful excerpts from _Thud!_ at a last-minute reading,
      and had dinner with Terry, Greg Ketter, Lisa Freitag, and a guy whose
      name I can't recall because my brain has just about liquefied by now.

      Greg Ketter and Lisa Freitag, who ran the convention, couldn't have
      been nicer people. I actually managed to make semi-coherent
      conversation during the dinner, which is a big improvement over the
      vaguely terrified vowel sounds which characterized the Noreascon
      Lunch of Doom. Terry was friendly and funny and has officially
      dubbed me his "Designated Stalker," which he says is a good thing,
      since I "fill the stalker space" that would otherwise be open to far
      scarier stalkers. Plus he quite enjoyed being escorted at the
      masquerade by two "brazen hussies" wearing "external underwear" (the
      corseted Seamstress/Assassins). His parting words were "I'll see you
      at the L.A. Worldcon." ; )

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) UPCOMING BOOKS

      Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, reports that three new titles
      are due out this year:

      DARWIN'S WATCH: SCIENCE OF DISCWORLD III
      by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart, Jack Cohen

      Roundworld is in trouble again, and this time it looks fatal.
      Having created it in the first place, the wizards of Unseen
      University feel vaguely responsible for its safety. They know
      the creatures who lived there escaped the impending Big
      Freeze by inventing the space elevator - they even intervened
      to rid the planet of a plague of elves, who attempted to divert
      humanity onto a different time track.

      But now it's all gone wrong - Victorian England has stagnated
      and the pace of progress would embarrass a limping snail.
      Unless something drastic is done, there won't be time for anyone
      to invent spaceflight and the human race will be turned into ice-pops.

      Why, though, did history come adrift? Was it Sir Arthur
      Nightingale's dismal book about natural selection? Or
      was it the devastating response by an obscure country
      vicar called Charles Darwin, whose bestselling Theology
      of Species made it impossible to refute the divine design
      of living creatures? Either way, it's no easy task to change
      history, as the wizards discover to their cost. Can the God
      of Evolution come to humanity's aid and ensure Darwin
      writes a very different book? And who stopped him writing
      it in the first place?

      UK ISBN 0091898234 Hardcover
      UK Publisher: Ebury Press
      UK Publication Date: May 5, 2005
      384 pp. GBP 17.99 Amazon UK: GBP 12.59
      No US publisher at this time.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      THUD!

      Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarves, or
      the dwarves ambushed the trolls. It was far away. It was a long time ago.

      But if he doesn't solve the murder of just one dwarf, Commander Sam
      Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch is going to see the battle fought
      again, right outside his office.

      With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding,
      he must unravel every clue, outwit every assassin and brave any darkness
      to find the solution. And darkness is following him.

      UK ISBN 0385608675 Hardcover
      UK Publisher: Doubleday UK
      UK Publication Date: November 22, 2005
      384 pp. List Price GBP 17.99 Amazon.UK Price GBP 12.59

      US ISBN 0060815221 Hardcover
      US Publisher: HarperCollins
      US Publication Date:October 1, 2005
      352 pp. List Price USD 24.95 Amazon Price USD 16.47

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      WHERE'S MY COW?
      A Discworld picture book. Illustrated by Melvin Grant

      At six o'clock every day, without fail, with no excuses, Sam Vimes
      must go home to read Where's My Cow?, with all the right farmyard
      noises, to his little boy. There are some things you have to do. It is
      the most loved and chewed book in the world.

      But his father wonders why it is full of moo-cows and baa-lambs
      when Young Sam will only ever see them cooked on a plate. He
      can think of a more useful book for a boy who lives in a city.

      So Sam Vimes starts adapting the story. A story with streets,
      not fields. A book with rogues and villains. A book about the place
      where he'll grow up.

      UK ISBN 038560937-X
      UK Publication Date: November 22, 2005
      No other data available at this time.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) CHEERY LITTLEBOTTOM ON THE NET

      If you'd like to see weekly Discworld comic strips starring
      the Watch's own Cheery Littlebottom, go to:

      http://www.cheerycomic.co.uk/

      -- Mark Barltrop (tachyon@...)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      ----