WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2005 -- PART 1 OF 5

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28 9:25 PM
      FEBRUARY 2005 (Volume 8, Issue 2)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: Jared Hays
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1) A MODEST PROPOSAL
      2) MORE VAMPIRE FILK
      3) NEWS FROM TERRY'S AGENT
      4) NEW DW GAME FROM "THUD" CREATOR

      ====Part 2

      5) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3

      6) FAN FILM PROJECT
      7) PUMPKIN MEET
      8) PUZZLE
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      9) MY LEAST FAVORITE CHARACTER
      10) SMALL GODS vs BIG COMPLAINTS
      11) PRATCHETT vs WODEHOUSE

      ====Part 4

      12) SIMILARITIES: VIMES vs PEEL: Part I

      ====Part 5

      12) SIMILARITIES (continued): VIMES vs PEEL: Part II

      1) A MODEST PROPOSAL

      Would you like to offer a tangible “thank you" to Terry for his
      brilliant writing, show the world just how terrific you think
      Going Postal is, and change history for the better?

      You would? Well, read on.

      I don't know how familiar most of you are with the Hugo
      Awards, but in the science fiction/fantasy field they are
      the equivalent of the movie industry's Academy Awards.

      Presented annually at Worldcon, these rocket-shaped
      awards are among the most prestigious in the genre.

      Despite being a Worldcon guest of honor last year,
      Terry has never won a Hugo. This is most likely due
      to his appeal to readers outside the typical sci-fi/fantasy
      community, who don't attend Worldcon and/or bother to
      vote for the Hugos. As a result, he doesn't stand a chance
      against authors with a more traditional, active, and savvy fan base.

      If you think this status quo stinks as badly as Foul Ole Ron,
      here's how to change it:

      1. Nominate Going Postal to appear on the Hugo ballot as
      Best Novel. The deadline is March 11th. You can do this if
      you attended last year's Worldcon (Noreascon 4), if you are
      attending this year's Worldcon (Interaction), or if you purchase
      a supporting membership ($45) at:
      http://www.interaction.worldcon.org.uk/joining.htm.

      2. Vote for Going Postal as Best Novel once it appears on
      the ballot. The deadline is July 8th. You can do this if you
      are attending this year's Worldcon (Interaction), or if you
      purchase a supporting membership.

      3. Urge others to nominate and vote for Going Postal.
      If you can't afford the $45 for a supporting membership, you
      may know other Discworld fans who can, or sci-fi/fantasy fans
      who already plan to attend Worldcon. Many Worldcon
      attendees don't even bother to vote for the Hugos. Fight the
      apathy and convince them to cast their votes. Post this
      information to other Discworld and sci-fi/fantasy forums.
      Tell them why you think Going Postal deserves this honor.
      Spread the word.

      It's possible that Hat Full of Sky, despite being a children's novel,
      may also qualify in the Best Novel category. However, voting for
      that as well as Going Postal runs the risk of splitting the vote
      to the point where neither one gathers enough votes to appear
      on the ballot. A similar phenomenon occurred in the BBC'S
      Big Read, where several of Terry's books were cited as favorites
      of the British public, but no single one gathered enough votes
      to make the top 21. Don't penalize him for his prolific output.

      It's still possible to recognize the Discworld in additional Hugo
      categories, however. The Art of Discworld appears to have been
      published too late to qualify in the Best Related Book category,
      but Paul Kidby would qualify in the Best Professional Artist
      category, and the L-Space Discworld fansite at
      http://www.lspace.org would be eligible for this year's special
      Best Website category.

      Let's rock the vote, shall we? : )

      Anna M.Conina

      [Ed note: And while you're at it, why not vote tor Terry
      in the current LOCUS POLL, if you're a subscriber,
      under Best Fantasy Novel, Best Young-Adult Novel,
      and for Paul Kidby under Best Artist -- Pro or Fan.
      Deadline for ballots is May 1, 2005. Write for your
      ballot to LOCUS at Locus Publications,
      PO Box 13305, Oakland, CA 94661]
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) MORE VAMPIRE FILK

      It's actually my friend Val who will be dressing as a Discworld Black
      Ribboner vampire at next month's Minicon (although I'll have no shortage of
      Discworld costumes of my own). Inspired by both the original "Onward Veggie
      Vampires" filk on the 2004 Discworld Convention Website
      (http://www.dwcon.org/02retrospective.php) and Joe's clever reinterpretation
      last month, Val has written an Uberwaldian filk entitled "Bringing in Zer
      (Cocoa) Beans" to sing at the Con. This is, of course, set to the tune of
      "Bringing in the Sheaves," the hymn which the Ingalls family invariably sang
      in every churchgoing episode of the old TV show "Little House on the
      Prairie."

      So grab your cocoa, think of a befanged Laura Ingalls, and be afraid. Be
      very, very afraid.

      Bringing In Zer (Cocoa) Beanz

      by Val (the vampire)

      Verse 1
      Drinking cocoa in zer morning, zowing zeeds of change
      Drinking cocoa in zer noontide and zer foggy eve
      Waiting for zer harvest, and zer time of quaffing
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans

      Chorus
      Bringing in zer beans, bringing in zer beans
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans
      Bringing in zer beans, bringing in zer beans
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans

      Verse 2
      Cocoa in the zunzhine, cocoa in zer zhadows,
      Fearing neither zhrouds nor vampire'z natural needz
      By and by zer harvest, and zer longing ended
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans

      Chorus
      Bringing in zer beans, bringing in zer beans
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans
      Bringing in zer beans, bringing in zer beans
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans

      Verse 3
      Going forz wiz gladnez, knowing ve are pazzive
      Zrough zer change zuhustained our spirits are relieved
      Now our plight is over, all vill bid us welcome
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans

      Chorus
      Bringing in zer beans, bringing in zer beans
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans
      Bringing in zer beans, bringing in zer beans
      We zhall come rejoicing, bringing in zer beans

      -- Anna M. Conina
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) NEWS FROM TERRY'S AGENT

      Colin Smythe reports:

      I'm glad to say that our website has now been redesigned,
      enlarged and updated by Leighton House, adding to Rob Wilkins'
      original edifice. The Pratchett pages have been considerably
      revised and should contain information on every edition and
      translation of Terry's books that I'm aware of. The entry page is
      http://www.colinsmythe.co.uk/terrypages/tpindex.html

      We shall be adding further information to them as and when
      I get it. If you notice any errors or omissions, please let us know.

      HarperCollins tell me that the American Library Association
      has named A HAT FULL OF SKY as both an ALA Notable Book
      and an ALA Best Book for Young Adults.

      French language rights: L'Atalante are signing up
      THIEF OF TIME and NIGHT WATCH

      -- Colin Smythe
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) NEW DW GAME FROM "THUD" CREATOR

      The game is called Watch Out and features the Watch versus the
      Thieves Guild. It is very new, so unless you have been to the
      Wincanton events, you probably won't have heard of it yet. Bernard
      Pearson, the Cunning Artificer, has made the little figures and the
      tiles. I think he only made eight sets, and they were sold straight
      away. I was lucky enough to buy one. (I lied to my husband about how
      much I had paid for it) but the intention is to mass produce them
      eventually.The object of the game is to get all your pieces from one
      side of the board to the other. The tiles are places from the books
      i.e. The Mended Drum, Dolly Sisters etc. Some are friendly to the
      Watch, some to the Thieves. Needless to say, there are lots of other
      rules but it is basically a very simple game. My thirteen-year-old
      regularly beats me, because he plays a strategic game, while I just
      go bull-headed at it. The interesting thing is, the tiles have to be
      laid out separately for each game, so that you never get the same lay-
      out twice.
      Thud, of course, is the game Vetinari is playing when Reacher Gilt
      and the delegation call on him. I'm no good at that either

      If you type in "Discworld board games," you can find some details of
      Watch Out. It is the baby of Trevor Truran, who invented Thud.
      There is a nice picture of Trevor and you can see the tiles. Check:

      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/imagegallery.php3?gameid=12696

      --Sylvia
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      ----