May 2000 Part 1

  • Jason Parlevliet
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2000

      Newsletter of the North American Discworld Society

      May 2000 (Volume 3 Issue 5)

      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the Klatchian Foreign
      Legion
      and also its affiliates, including the North American Discworld Society
      and
      other continental groups.

      Are you a member? Yes, if you sent in your e-mail address.

      Are there any dues? No. Dues are only required if you want to join the
      Guild of Fans and Disciples and receive the discounts on books and
      other
      items available through their bulk purchases.

      i) Editorial - What Makes a Discworld Fan?

      NEWS:
      1) Sending In Material
      2) Back To The Beginning
      3) Are We All Living On Discworld?
      4) Interviews Abounding
      5) All Important Book News
      6) News From Colin Smythe
      7) KFL - Spanish News
      8) Bugarup University Newsletter for Students

      DEPARTMENTS:
      9) [Meetings] Brighton - Roedean School
      10) [Productions] Lords & Ladies At Chelmsford

      BUSINESS:
      11) Merchandise - Stuff from C.M.O.T. Briggs
      12) [Advertisement] Phantasia Bookshop
      13) Klatchian Foreign Legion Resources

      Editor in Chief : Jason Parlevliet
      Managing Editor : Nathan Clissold
      Copy Chief : Dylan Williams
      Senior Staff Writer : Andy Stout
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director : Becky Swaney
      Copyright 2000 by North American Discworld Society

      i) EDITORIAL - WHAT MAKES A DISCWORLD FAN?
      A while ago on the Bugarup University Discussion list, someone posted
      about
      what makes a true Discworld fan. This was largely a list of things a
      Discworld fan should own, but I felt that the financially challenged
      should
      also be allowed to consider themselves true fans, so here's my list:

      What Makes a Discworld Fan?

      - Have you read most of the Discworld books? (And petitioned your local
      library for the ones you've missed)
      - Is your collection missing several volumes which you have lent to
      friends
      in an effort to pterryvangelise?
      - Are your paperback copies dog-eared and grotty from being read dozens
      of
      times in strange and unsavoury locations (for example a teenage
      boy/girl's
      bedroom)?
      - Would you rather wait for a paperback because then you can also afford
      another copy of Wyrd Sisters because someone didn't give yours back?
      - After you finish a DW novel, do you find it difficult to read books by
      another author for several days?
      - Have you ever fallen off a chair laughing at a DW novel?
      - Have you ever been kicked out of bed (by a spouse/partner/one night
      stand/cat/plush toy) for giggling so hard you shook the bed and woke
      them
      up?
      - Do you waste several precious hours each week reading newsletters and
      other Discworld related email?

      Score:
      *If you answered yes to all the above good on you, you can proudly call
      yourself a Pterrorist in good standing.
      *If you answered yes to about half of the above you need to read more
      Pterry. Not to worry Fifth Elephant is out in paperback in November (see
      elsewhere in this issue for the news.)
      *If you answered yes to none of the above questions, for shame. You need
      read all the Discworld books you can to get back up to date, after you
      read
      Wossname of course :-)

      JASON PARLEVLIET
      Editor-in-Chief

      1) SENDING IN MATERIAL
      Despite any previous announcements, please send all correspondence and
      other
      material for WOSSNAME to:

      Jason Parlevliet, editor-in-chief - jase@...
      with a copy to:
      Joe Schaumburger - JSCHAUM111@....

      This will probably change once we work out what we're doing.

      NEWS:

      2) BACK TO THE BEGINNING

      At long last, THE COLOUR[*] OF MAGIC and THE LIGHT FANTASTIC can be
      found on
      the shelves of bookshops in the United States. HarperCollins (under its
      Harper Paperbacks imprint) is printing the backlist of the Discworld
      books,
      and it's started with the first three books (the third being EQUAL
      RITES,
      which introduced Granny Weatherwax) at a special price of US$3.99.

      I'm sure you all know the plots of these by now, so I'll summarise them
      very
      briefly here. THE COLOUR OF MAGIC introduced the Discworld, Rincewind
      the
      (anti-)wizard, TwoFlower the tourist and, of course, the Luggage. A
      visitor
      from overseas, TwoFlower hires Rincewind to show him around
      Ankh-Morpork,
      and after setting the city on fire (literally) they head out to
      experience
      magical temples, brave heroes, deadly dragons and, eventually, the Edge
      of
      the Discworld. In THE LIGHT FANTASTIC, the wizards of Unseen University
      discover that Rincewind is the only person who can save the Discworld
      and
      the university's infighting rises to new heights as they try to bring
      him
      back to Ankh-Morpork (which has, by now, mostly been rebuilt). EQUAL
      RITES
      heads out to the Ramtops, where a dying wizard fails to ask a crucial
      question and bequeaths his magical powers to a baby girl, and some years
      later Granny Weatherwax finds herself battling the misogyny of Unseen
      University to get the girl admitted as the Discworld's first female
      wizard.

      As well as the actual stories themselves, each book contains a brief
      introduction to the Discworld, with descriptions of a few of the more
      regularly appearing characters, and some of the places we visit in the
      books. There's even a crossword puzzle for those who want to test their
      knowledge. Some of the information is a little out of date --- for
      instance, the foreward printed in this edition of THE COLOUR OF MAGIC
      was
      written by Terry in 1989, and he makes the point (in a non-trivial
      paragraph
      that is reproduced in the appended introductions) that there are no maps
      of
      the Discworld; eleven years have changed that, since there are now at
      least
      four maps of the Discworld, either entire or in parts. However, at
      US$3.99
      per book (compared with the more usual price of US$6.99 for a paperback
      these days), they're a great deal, whether you're filling gaps in your
      own
      collection or looking for presents for friends with whom you want to
      share
      your literary addiction.

      ANDREW C. MILLARD (California)

      [*] I'm sorry, but I refuse to use the American spelling, even if it's
      used
      on the cover of the Harper Paperbacks edition. That's not what Terry
      titled
      the book, and I trust you're all knowledgeable enough to know that
      "colour"
      is just our weird English way of spelling "color".

      3)ARE WE ALL LIVING ON DISCWORLD?

      Researchers at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), Pasadena, Calif.,
      have designed a tiny, web-shaped sensor that maps faint structures in
      the
      early universe, reinforcing theories that the cosmos is flat in its
      geometry.

      The team's analysis of the size of the structures in the cosmic
      microwave
      background has produced the most precise measurements to date of the
      geometry of space-time, which strongly indicate that the geometry of the
      universe is flat, not curved.

      For further reading go to :
      ftp://ftp.hq.nasa.gov/pub/pao/pressrel/2000/00-067.txt

      Found by
      JOE SCHAUMBURGER (Florida)

      4) INTERVIEWS ABOUNDING
      Our mailbox runneth over with links to Pratchett interviews available on
      the
      net. Thanks to Steven D'Aprano of Australia and Valerie Bongards from
      Deutschland (That's Germany, for you non-cosmopolitan types)

      - Writers Write <www.writerswrite.com> have an interview from April this
      year:
      http://www.writerswrite.com/journal/apr00/pratchett.htm
      - This link cam via Colin Smythe from Alain Nevant
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/35534/ref=ad_b_sf_2
      - SF Site <www.sfsite.com> also featured Pterry in April:
      That's right. No evolution, no religion, no cats or surveys or Vietnam
      war
      or bread and jam. Just some daft bugger in a hat who can throw a few
      words
      together and call it a sentence.
      Part 1 - http://www.sfsite.com/04b/tp79.htm
      Part 2 - http://www.sfsite.com/05a/tp80.htm
      - And finally Locus Online <www.locusmag.com> have this from their
      December
      edition, including a rare and exciting picture of Mr. Pratchett sans
      hat!
      http://www.locusmag.com/1999/Issues/12/Pratchett.html

      5) ALL IMPORTANT BOOK NEWS
      OK the important news on the book front for our transatlantic contingent
      is
      that from this point on the DW novels will be released at the same time
      on
      both sides of the pond. So the publishing schedule looks something like
      this:

      *** June 2000 The Science of the Discworld (UK paperback)
      *** August 2001 The Fools Guild Diary( UK hardcover) & The 2001 Calendar
      *** November 2000 The Truth (UK & US Hardcover), The 5th Elephant (UK
      Paperback)
      *** May 2001 The Thief of Time (UK & US Hardcover)

      Things get a little vague from this point - I assume there will be a
      diary -
      I don't know about any other spin-offs (maps, cookbooks etc)

      *** For Christmas 2001 we can apparently expect The Last Hero (an
      illustrated novel),The Marvelous Maurice & his educated rodents (a
      children's DW book inspired by a throwaway remark in Reaper Man
      concerning
      one of the very rare occasions when someone got one over on the
      Patrician...
      I wonder how long The Marvelous Maurice lived to regret it....); my
      previous
      comment about US publication does not apply to this cos apparently
      Pterry
      has "issues" with the US children's publishers)
      At some future point there may be a follow-up to The Science of
      Discworld,
      which has been nominated for a Hugo (SF fandom's premiere award -to vote
      for
      it you have to be an attending or supporting member of the year's
      Worldcon -
      which is in Chicago this year. Anyone here eligible?) but I suspect
      we'll
      have to settle for it being won by another erstwhile co-author of
      Pterry's -
      Neil Gaiman whose Sandman book is up for the same award.

      MARK BARLTROP
      tachyon@...

      6) NEWS FROM COLIN SMYTHE
      *** Very advance notice - information from Tina Hannan.
      Carpe Jugulum will be performed at the Questors Theatre, Ealing, 4-7
      October.

      *** Alain Nevant told me about this interview on Amazon.com, at this
      address:

      POST-FANTASY FANTASY: AN INTERVIEW WITH TERRY PRATCHETT
      Whether you're already a die-hard Discworld fan or just discovering
      Ankh-Morpork in "The Fifth Elephant," you know that the mind of Terry
      Pratchett is a very funny place. We chatted with Pratchett about dark
      lords,
      Tolkien, and condom factories. Read our interview with Terry Pratchett
      at
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/35534/ref=ad_b_sf_2

      *** A recent auctioneer on eBay described The Dark Side of the Sun as
      having
      among its characters 'a sentient pet snail'. I often wonder what book
      some
      people have been reading - or what substance they have been taking while
      doing so...

      *** Dave Langford's comedy classic 'The Leaky Establishment' first
      published
      in 1984 is going to be republished, by a new company, Big Engine, with a
      new
      introduction by Terry. Their address is P.O. Box 185, Abingdon OX14 1GR,
      phone 01235 204011. fax 01235 204012, website www.bigengine.co.uk.

      COLIN SMYTHE (England)

      7) KFL - SPANISH NEWS
      The Spanish language group is set to a force of about 50 members. (I
      guess
      it'll improve after this...), AND the issue n. 0 of "El Puercoespin"
      (The
      Hedgehog) is already out there! Please find it attached to this message.
      Of
      course, it's written in Spanish, but anyway I thought you should have
      it.

      I was wondering if you could put a note in Wossname saying that anyone
      who
      wishes to join simply has to write a blank email to
      mundodisco-subscribe@egroups.com

      Subscription is also supported in the KFL-Spanish page:
      http://mundodisco.dreamers.com/kfl.htm where back issues (all right...
      number 0 issue) can be read online. Please read (if you can read
      Spanish)
      the latest editorial for this fine e-zine:

      Buenas noches y bienvenidos al n€  úmero 0 de EL PUERCOESP€  ÍN. En teor€  ía, en
      los
      editoriales se pretende dar una idea sobre lo que se quiere hacer con la
      publicaci€  ón de turno. Pero, despu€  és de pensarlo un poco, hemos llegado a
      la
      conclusi€  ón de que con esta publicaci€  ón no se pretende nada. La secci€  ón
      de
      noticias puede manteneros algo m€  ás informados de c€  ómo va todo lo que
      rodea a
      la obra de Pratchett en el mundo; la secci€  ón de cartas (cuando empiece a
      tener cartas) puede permitir que os ri€  áis, discut€  áis o ignor€  éis lo que
      otros
      lectores tienen que decir sobre cualquier cosa que se les ocurra. Los
      art€  ículos y dem€  ás pueden ser interesantes o no. Pero pretender, lo que
      se
      dice pretender...

      En fin. Mejor vamos empezando. Antes que nada, felicidades atrasadas a
      Terry
      Pratchett por su cumplea€  ños el 28 de abril.

      A estas alturas, suponemos que muchos de vosotros os hab€  éis apuntado a
      este
      circo a partir de lo que aparece en "La Concha de Gran A'Tuin"
      (http://mundodisco.dreamers.com). Algunos han escrito protestando porque
      intentaban enviar mensajes al grupo y no llegaban. Normal. El grupo
      "Mundodisco" de eGroups.com (http://www.egroups.com) est€  á montado de tal
      manera que s€  ólo el coordinador puede enviar mensajes al grupo. Se hizo
      as€  í
      desde el principio para que sirviera de veh€  ículo para esta newsletter.
      Si
      alguien quiere empezar un grupo de otro estilo (en el que todo mensaje
      llegue a todo el mundo), que avise cuando lo haga y se anunciar€  á aqu€  í.

      Y no podemos empezar sin antes enviar un saludo a nuestros hermanos
      mayores:
      Discworld Monthly, Wossname y BUNS, todos ellos escritos en ingl€  és.
      €  ¡Hola!
      €  ¡Ya somos cuatro!

      Finalmente, una petici€  ón de ayuda. Un poco m€  ás abajo pod€  éis ver a los
      responsables de esta cosa que ten€  éis en el buz€  ón electr€  ónico. De
      momento,
      estamos planeando echar a la calle a los dos €  últimos tipos que aparecen
      ah€  í
      por vagos, siempre que se les pueda sustituir (lo cual no es muy
      dif€  ícil).
      El Editor, adem€  ás, es un macarra de mucho cuidado y no nos fiamos nada
      de
      que sea capaz de mantener una periodicidad estable. As€  í que, en un
      momento
      dado, se le echa a la calle tambi€  én. Quien est€  é interesado en los
      puestos
      vacantes, que lo diga.

      MANUEL VICIANO DELIBANO
      mavide@...

      8) BUGARUP UNIVERSITY NEWSLETTER FOR STUDENTS
      Hi there to all members of the KFL!

      This is the Dean of Bugarup University down here in XXXX just advising
      you
      that the BUNS (Bugarup University Newsletter for Students) May edition
      is
      now available on-line at
      http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/4108/index.html Just follow the
      link
      to the BUNS.

      NATHAN CLISSOLD (Australia)

      DEPARTMENTS:

      9) [MEETING] BRIGHTON - ROEDEAN SCHOOL
      This is a little early, I know, but I've just got information...

      On the evening of the 22nd September 2000 (the day before Roman Day in
      Lewes), Terry Pratchett will be giving a talk to students at Roedean
      School,
      Brighton. (It is open to all interested parties AFAIAA, but aimed at
      students of literature and classical civilisation/Latin/Greek).

      Pterry *never* talks to students, but he is making an exception for
      this.

      The talk is anticipated to be about the influences of classical (Roman
      and
      Greek) literature on his works. (Mainly - after all, he is Pterry...) He
      is
      not being paid a fee, but there will be an entry charge of about 2 or 3
      UKP,
      to be donated to the Orangutan Foundation, as is his wish.

      Further details when I get them, but I just thought any afpers in the
      area
      (there are some of you hiding, I'm determined) might like to know now.

      JENNIE LEES
      afpumpkin@...

      10) [PRODUCTION] LORDS & LADIES AT CHELMSFORD
      The Chelmsford Theatre Workshop will be presenting "Lords and Ladies"
      from
      16th to 20th and 23rd to 27th May at the Old Court Theatre, Springfield
      Road, Chelmsford (opposite the prison (!)).
      Tickets are now available from the box office on 01245 606505, priced
      6ukp
      (5ukp concessions). The box office is open 10am - 6pm Monday to
      Saturday.
      I've been to several Discworld productions by the CTW in the past, and
      can
      heartily recommend them - get your tickets soon!

      KAREN
      Cultural Attache to Essex (what a job)
      vixen@...

      11) I MET TERRY
      by Rob McColley

      I met the man himself in Chicago, thanks to the
      WOSSNAME tip on booksignings. The Stars Our
      Destination bookstore could have held more people, I
      suppose. But the 153 (the last count I heard) or more
      fans that had lined up would not have been terribly
      comfortable. It was sardinish enough.

      Pterry was on the phone behind the counter when i
      popped in, an hour early, to get my line ticket (#83).
      It wasn't that he looked precisely like the man in
      the liner note pictures. It was the sing-song British
      accent that gave him away. I'd heard his voice once
      before, when I was an intern at NPR and pulled out a
      tape of the interview he and Neil Gaiman gave for Good
      Omens. (You can still buy a tape or transcript if you
      like. I forget the NPR tape and transcripts phone
      number, but 202-555-1212 should do the trick.)

      I am a Terry Pratchett geek, a Python geek, a Douglas
      Adams geek, and a Tom Sharpe geek. Succinctly, I am
      a clever British humor geek. I am not a science
      fiction or fantasy geek. Therefore, being in a
      science fiction and fantasy oriented (or should I say
      orientated in keeping with the Anglophilia?) bookshop
      is not terribly interesting for me. Otherwise, I
      might have occupied my waiting time by leafing through
      books of other favorite authors. But my only
      entertainment came from obsefving my fellow
      travellers, the other Pratchett geeks.

      I noticed that many of them were run-of-the-mill
      science fiction and fantasy geeks, and they knew a lot
      about other authors, their books, new role-playing
      games, figurines, and whatever else was on display in
      the store. It made me wonder how many WOSSNAME
      members (and Pratchett geeks who have not yet
      discovered WOSSNAME) are like me. Or better put, what
      fraction of Pratchett geeks give a hoot about other
      sci-fi and fantasy, what fraction only likes the
      humorous kind versus the straight stuff, what fraction
      just likes clever British humor, and what fraction has
      no common interest with any of these categories, but
      simply likes Terry Pratchett a whole lot?

      I'd be interested in hearing from WOSSNAME members,
      or even better, having WOSSNAME publish an informal
      poll along these lines. [1]

      When I finally got to the table (after about an hour
      wait) I presented two CD's by my band (laurie
      mccolley) to Pterry, saying "I've bought over 20 books
      of yours, but you can have these for free." And then
      I asked to borrow his pen so I could sign one for him.
      I thought it would be just cocky and weird enough to
      provide some comic relief to what otherwise must be a
      mundane chore -- having the same 30 second
      conversation over and over again with 153 people in
      two hours. I'm so thoughtful.

      Terry looked at the back cover of our last album
      ("gypped by gyne") and remarked "box of wormgears?"
      which is the title of track one. I panicked
      (ironically) because I thought he'd recognized the
      reference (Marvin, in the swamps of Squornshellous
      Zeta, tells Zem the mattress "ah but my life is
      nothing but a box of wormgears.") and I felt slightly
      guilty for not having a corresponding Pratchett
      reference. I admitted the origin. (The song, by the
      way, has nothing to do with the book or its
      characters.)

      "Nice young chap, I thought," said Terry. "I always
      wondered what happened to him."

      Touche! Notch one for Pratchett.

      I wish I could have hung around until everyone had
      been processed, in hopes that Terry might join the
      stragglers in a nearby mended drum. But I live in
      Champaign-Urbana, 135 miles south of The Stars Our
      Destination, so I had to hit the road. Perhaps at the
      St. Louis convention. Is that still on?

      rob mccolley
      mccolley@...

      Editor's footnote...
      [1] As you all found out, The Egroups site allows us to run polls.
      This month, log in to the Wossname section at
      http://www.egroups.com/groups/wossname, follow the link to 'polls',
      and tell us what else fulfills your reading desires. Apologies to
      all those who already emailed and pointed out genres we'd missed.
      We'll mention these along with the results next month.