WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2005 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2005
      January 2005 (Volume 8, Issue 1)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: Jared Hays
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.Conina

      EDITORIAL

      1) TERRY'S NEW BOOKS FOR 2005
      2) DW STAMPS ON TOUR
      3) NEWS FROM TERRY'S AGENT
      4) TERRY IS GOH AT MINICON 40
      5) DW THEATER
      6) 2005 DW CON IN GERMANY

      ====Part 2

      7) TERRY ON THE AIR
      8) BOOKS IN A MINUTE
      9) CROSS-STITCHING
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      10) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      * SMALL GODS
      * MONA OGG
      11) ONWARD VEGGIE VAMPIRES
      12) THE FINAL PUZZLE: GOING POSTAL

      ====Part 3

      13) THE NEW DISC HOROSCOPE

      EDITORIAL

      Well, here we are in 2005. I almost didn't make it, due to
      a post-Christmas Dinner heart attack, but have survived --
      to my great astonishment -- and so the presses roll on.

      I won't both you with the details, except to say it was
      quite horrible and left me stuck on something called
      the Ornish Diet, which is very stark -- all veggies and
      not much else -- not even olive oil. Aargh.

      Aside from that, 2005 looks like a good year for us.
      DW cons are springing up all over the world with some
      big ones set for Australia, Spain, Germany, and the U.K.
      Will keep you posted.

      Also, Terry will be the Guest of Honor at Minicon 40
      in the U.S. and there will be a special program honoring
      Discworld.

      Our KFL sister group in Spain has grown to over 1500
      members with fans in Spain and much of South and
      Central America, and Mexico.

      As for WOSSNAME, we've experienced a slow, steady
      increase, and our membership is approaching 2,000.
      Our staff is in good shape and we are set for another
      big year.

      Highlight of 2004 was, of course, TP's appearance at
      the WorldCon in Boston, where he was not only the
      GOH, but where one of our own people awarded him
      a special KFL kepi (one of them thar French Foreign
      Legion hats) and proclaimed him Commandant of the
      KFL to the roars of the multitudes.

      So we've come up in the world, and the future looks
      good for the KFL. As for me, I keep looking around
      for Binky, but so far, he has not turned up and I shall
      push on.

      I'd like to offer special thanks to our managing editor,
      Annie Mack, and our convention news editor, Anna
      Conina, who managed to get out the December issue
      without much input from me, since I was all wired up
      like a Christmas tree and couldn't help at all except
      via messages through my son Mark. God bless you
      ladies, you saved the day.

      And to all our devoted readers, who have put up with us
      for so many years, all I can say is, "It's great to be back."

      -- JOE SCHAUMBURGER

      1) TERRY'S NEW BOOKS FOR 2005

      Darwin's Watch: Science of Discworld III is scheduled
      to be published May 5 according to Amazon.co.uk.
      http://tinyurl.com/4s6u5

      Synopsis:
      Roundworld is in trouble again, and this time it looks
      fatal. Having created it in the first place, the
      wizards of Unseen University feel vaguely responsible
      for its safety. They know the creatures who lived
      there escaped the impending Big Freeze by inventing
      the space elevator - they even intervened to rid the
      planet of a plague of elves, who attempted to divert
      humanity onto a different time track. But now it's all
      gone wrong - Victorian England has stagnated and the
      pace of progress would embarrass a limping snail.
      Unless something drastic is done, there won't be time
      for anyone to invent spaceflight and the human race
      will be turned into ice-pops. Why, though, did history
      come adrift? Was it Sir Arthur Nightingale's dismal
      book about natural selection? Or was it the
      devastating response by an obscure country vicar
      called Charles Darwin, whose bestselling Theology of
      Species made it impossible to refute the divine design
      of living creatures? Either way, it's no easy task to
      change history, as the wizards discover to their cost.
      Can the God of Evolution come to humanity's aid and
      ensure Darwin writes a very different book? And who
      stopped him writing it in the first place?

      Coming in October 2005 will be THUD, a new City
      Watch novel, described by Terry as "a good, old-
      fashioned murder mystery with political overtones."
      We also get to meet the first vampire to join the
      Watch, described as a 51-year old vampire who
      looks like a 16-year old girl. Vimes is not
      enthusiastic about this.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) DW STAMPS ON TOUR

      The alt.fan.pratchett group has announced that they are taking
      Discworld Stamps to "real" stamp fairs, and have signed up for
      two so far:

      22 January - Salisbury Stamp Fair, United Reform Church Hall,
      Fisherton St, Salisbury UK

      23-27 February Stampex, Business Design Centre, Islingto, London

      They say they would be very pleased to see any of you who can
      pop along, though Bernard can't make Salisbury.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) NEWS FROM TERRY'S AGENT

      Colin Smythe reports some news on translations:

      Finland. Karisto are taking licences for MEN AT ARMS and
      SOUL MUSIC

      Norway: Tiden Norsk are taking LORDS AND LADIES

      France: L'Atalante have just published Patrick Couton's
      translation of THE AMAZING MAURICE

      Germany: Piper will be publishing ERIC in both illustrated
      and unillustrated formats, as well as issuing The Science
      of Discworld 2 and 3

      Russia: Eksmo will be publishing THE UNADULTERATED
      CAT. (It was last published in Russian in 1994, jointly by
      Vagrius (Moscow) and Belvagrius (Minsk).
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) TERRY TO BE GUEST OF HONOR AT MINICON 40

      Minicon 40, March 25-27 (Easter Weekend) will be held at the Sheraton
      Bloomington South in Bloomington Minnesota. Minicon is one of the oldest
      regional conventions and is proud to have Terry Pratchett as its guest.
      The con will feature Discworld and "Pratchett" programming as well as a
      "Minicon Fortean" theme featuring unusual phenomena in fact and fiction.
      Bigfoot sightings are likely.

      Other guests include Jim Young, SF author and one of the founders of
      Minicon and the Minnesota SF club, MN-STF and Fastner and Larson (Steve
      Fastner and Rich Larson) two artists many will recognize from book covers,
      comics and more. Many other authors and artists attend Minicon as well.

      Minicon also features an art show, dealers room filled with books,
      jewelry, and miscellany, video programming, a writers' workshop and much
      more.

      Registration for Minicon is currently $40.00 until March 1;
      $50 at the door. The mailing address is Minicon 40 PO Box 8297 Lake
      Street Station, Minneapolis, MN 55408.

      Hotel rates are $82 single -quad; poolside party rooms are available. It
      is located at 7800 Normandale Road, in Bloomington; 1-800-325-3535 and
      mention Minicon.

      For more information, please visit the website at www.mnstf.org/minicon/
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) DW THEATER

      AUSTRALIA:

      Unseen Theatre Company of Adelaide, Australia reports it will present
      Terry Pratchett's INTERESTING TIMES from March 17 to April 2
      (Wednesdays to Saturdays) at 8 pm at the Bakehouse Theatre,
      255 Angas Street, Adelaide. Tickets will be: Adults $15,
      Concession $12, Groups (10 or more) $10. There is also a
      Thai Hutt Dinner Deal for $30 (meal and theatre ticket).

      The oldest and most inscrutable empire on the Discworld
      is in turmoil, brought about by the revolutionary treatise
      "What I Did On My Holidays" written by Twoflower - the
      Discworld's first tourist.

      Workers are uniting, with nothing to lose but their water
      buffaloes. Warlords are struggling for power.

      All that stands in the way of terrible doom for everyone is
      Rincewind the inept Wizzard, a group of toy-rabbit-wielding
      rebels, an army of terracotta warriors, and The Silver Horde
      led by Cohen the Barbarian Hero.

      For bookings, call: BASS 131246 or Betty 82962004
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      UK:

      The Prince of Wales Centre Youth Theatre will be performing 'Guards! Guards!'
      at the Prince of Wales Centre in Cannock, Staffordshire on the 17th, 18th
      and 19th of February. Doors open at 7:00 pm for a 7:30 start.

      Tickets are GBP 6.00 for adults, GBP 4.50 for concession. For groups of
      10 or more there is a special discount price of GBP3.00 per ticket available
      for Thursday night's performance.

      In 1135, a hen was arrested for crowing on Soul Cake Thursday. In 1401,
      a colony of bats was arrested for persistent curfew violations. Now,
      Constable
      Carrot has joined the Night Watch and is trying to arrest a 70-foot long fire
      breathing dragon for burning down the Old Watch House.

      Please contact the Box Office on (01543) 578762 to book your tickets
      in advance.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) 2005 DW CON IN GERMANY

      Ankh-Morpork - The German Terry Pratchett Fan Club -- is holding
      its second cooperative convention with Tolkiens Erben e.V. at the
      Freusburg near Siegen in Germany from August 18 through 21, 2005.

      Like last year there will be a combined program of Discworld
      and Tolkien activities (including the presentation of Discworld-games,
      baking dwarf-bread, performing the stick-and-bucket-dance and many more),
      gallons of mead and medieval music. To order tickets, contact Jens at:
      www.schicksalsfest.net

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      ----