WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2004 -- PART 3 OF 4

  • Joseph Schaumburger
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2005
      WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2004 -- PART 3 OF 4

      ====Part 3

      7) Letters From Our Readers

      8) Barnes and Noble "Going Postal" Reading Group

      9) The Art of Discworld

      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      RETIREMENT OF DISCWORLD PIECES

      Elton Murphy writes,

      Just a quick note to let you know that The following pieces will
      cease production in February, 2005. That sounds a long way off, but
      is actually just around the corner in production terms, as
      retirements tend to create a back-log of orders!

      Imp Y Celyn - DW81
      Lias Bluestone - DW82
      Glod Glodsson - DW83

      Death & Granny Weatherwax is also down to the last 30 pieces! Don't
      miss out on this great Limited Edition.

      All pieces above are available to order in our current DISCWORLD
      SALE. Just click the link below.

      Best Wishes,

      Elton Murphy - Collectors Gifts
      http://www.collectorsgifts.com/

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      UM, LIKED YOUR REVIEW OF *WHAT*?

      Joe has emailed me this letter about the performance of, um, *some*
      Discworld play. Can anyone shed light upon the darkness?

      %%%%%% %%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%

      Joe wrote, and Bobby answered:

      Hi Bob,
      Liked your review.
      Would like to run your review in WOSSNAME.
      Can you supply the following data?

      Where was the play performed? (theater, city)

      "Fig Tree Theatre, University of New South Wales, Sydney."

      What was the date?

      "Friday 10th December."

      Who was in it?

      "Thee More Pork Players."

      Cordially,
      Joe Schaumburger
      editor

      Robert Cox

      [N.B.: I have a suspicion it was Wyrd Sisters. Or possibly Guards!
      Guards! Or Maybe Men At Arms. Erm.]

      "GOING POSTAL" FRESH AND QUIRKY

      To the Editor:

      I thought that GOING POSTAL was one of his best. I have read each
      one as it has come out and to tell the truth they have been dropping
      off a bit lately.

      I had a few problems with Men at Arms. Usually the more Pratchett
      the better as far as I'm concerned, but Men at Arms did go on a bit.

      Going Postal on the other hand was very fresh with lots of quirky
      ideas.

      One point that I thought was odd was the time spent on the 'slipping
      back in time' bit in the post office. I know it was a very useful
      idea to explain the deaths of the previous postmasters and it gave
      you an idea of the grandeur of the post office in past times, but it
      didn't seem to have much use aprt from this. I was expecting,
      instead of the postmaster having to make his heroic ride, for him to
      by way of the old post office in some way.

      -- Stuart Hamilton
      Colchester, UK

      [Editor's note: we all have our own opinions, but I thought the use
      of the sort-of timeslip as a device to advance the plot and explain
      the previous postmasters' deaths was sufficient, and not a red
      herring. Of course there are two paths you can go by, but in the
      long run ~grins~ the author has to make the call! Still, glad you
      enjoyed the book :-)]

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      JOHNNY SERIES: WHAT WAS THAT NAME AGAIN?

      --- Paul Godsil <bu_librarian@...> wrote:

      Johnny's Grandfather's name.

      < Johnny and the Dead >

      'My name's John Maxwell. What's yours?'

      'Atterbury. Ronald Atterbury.'

      He extended a hand. They shook hands,solemnly.

      'Are you Arthur Maxwell's grandson? He used to work for me at the
      boot factory.'

      < Johnny and the Bomb >

      "Eh? What? Oh...that's for learning aircraft recognition," said Tom,
      who'd been careful to keep the table between him and Johnny. "You
      plays cards with 'em and you sort of picks up the shapes, like."
      < >
      and
      < >
      "They're right, sergeant," said Tom. "You've got to do it! We...ran
      all the way!"

      "What, off the down?" said the sergeant. "That's two miles, that is.
      < >
      "You know you said that before you went in the army you were a sort
      of aircraft spotter-"

      "Got a medal for it," said his grandfather. He picked up the remote
      control and switched off the set, which never usually happened.
      "Showed it you, didn't I? Must've done." ~ ~

      < >

      So what is Johnny's grandfather's name? Arthur or Tom?

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Maybe his name's Arthur Tom Maxwell, but his friends called him Tom.
      I know people who are called by their middle names, but TPTB call
      them by their first names.

      It's a bit strange and far-fetched, but possible...

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Now Paul, this may be a little tricky to follow, but let's see how
      we all go ...

      Is it possible that Johnny has *two* grandfathers? Perhaps one is
      his mother's father and the other his father's father. I can't
      remember JatB too well, but given that the JatD quote you mention
      uses his surname then if it doesn't explicitly say so then there's
      nothing stopping Tom being his maternal grandfather.

      Of course, like I said, I haven't read it in a while so if you
      provide a quote proving that Tom is supposed to be his paternal
      grandfather, then, well, my theory is screwed.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      So what is Johnny's grandfathers name? Arthur or Tom?

      Unless he's from Arkansas, shouldn't he have TWO grandfathers?

      Only his Mother's Father is ever mentioned.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      BARNES AND NOBLE "GOING POSTAL" READING GROUP

      by Anna M.C.

      TerryPratchettBooks.com reports that Barnes and Noble University is
      offering a unique opportunity to discuss Going Postal with Terry
      himself in a free online reading group! Starting January 10th, the
      course will last for four weeks and appears to be open to anyone.
      For more information, visit the Barnes and Noble Website at:

      http://educate.barnesandnoble.com/educate/bn/home/catalog/overview.jsp?productId=26092

      or http://tinyurl.com/6e77f

      While you're signing up, be sure to read the featured interview with
      Terry to learn about his top ten favorite books. They might surprise
      you:

      http://www.barnesandnoble.com/writers/writerdetails.asp?userid=t82X5veAQp&bnit=H&cid=1008618#interview

      or http://tinyurl.com/4ezol

      THE ART OF DISCWORLD: a review

      by Drusilla D'Afanguin

      The Art of Discworld, by Terry Pratchett and Paul Kidby
      Gollancz, 2004 ISBN 0 575 07511 2

      I purchased The Art of Discworld on the day of the most recent Pterry
      signing in Melbourne, XXXX. I'd been aiming for The New Discworld
      Almanak, which is amusing but in my opinion very overpriced for what
      it offers, but I made the financial mistake of opening TAoD and
      glancing at the first few pages. Oops. No way could I resist buying
      it. Paul Kidby is my favourite Discworld artist - the *only* true
      Discworld artist in my estimation - and he has well and truly outdone
      himself this time, from the wonderful cameos inside the front and
      back covers to the extended portfolios of the Librarian, the Death
      Family and Rincewind. There are a lot of pages...I don't know how
      many, since they aren't numbered, but it's a lot. Some of the
      illustrations are familiar ones from Paul Kidby's website and
      products (such as the Family Values and Unusual Suspects portraits
      on our coffee mugs, and the Greebo Hogswatch cards), but in many
      cases we get to see them in various stages of completion, from
      cartoon to finished colour (one favourite of mine is the series of
      Science of Discworld covers). Each section has commentary from The
      Master about how a particular character came to be, and how he
      regards Kidby's rendering of him, her or it, and commentary from
      Kidby about how he did the art or what inspired him in a particular
      case.

      Some of my personal favourites include: Esme Weatherwax as a young
      woman, barely adult (probably around the time when she first
      investigated the Dancers and nearly dallied with young Mustrum
      Ridcully) but already so tellingly possessed of that iron will that
      kept her bound to the path of "being the good one"; Mort, captured
      just after he'd fully assumed The Duty and looking eerily like Elijah
      Wood as Frodo; Nobby Nobbs in disturbing drag as Beti the exotic
      dancer (has to be seen to be believed, and even then...); Albert
      attempting to fry porridge; and the entire section on the Nac Mac
      Feegle. Oh, and we also get to see what Leonard of Quirm was getting
      up to in his younger, less cerebral days, heheh...

      Of course, not *every* character of note is covered in depth. Magrat
      barely gets a look-in, and there's nary a sign of Cheery Littlebottom
      or the Uberwald dwarfs or Lady Margolotta or Vetinari's Aunt Bobbi
      - no drawings of the Baron von Uberwald and his family, which was a
      disappointment to me (though there are good renderings of Angua in
      both her forms) - but maybe they're saving those for the next volume.
      And I certainly hope there is a next volume, and that it comes out
      soon.

      Highly recommended, and suitable for scanning. For home purposes
      only, of course!

      END OF PART 3

      "Keep right on to the end of the road..."