WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2004 -- PART 1 OF 6

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2004
      November 2004 (Volume 7, Issue 11)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Sarah McLaren
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: Jared Hays
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Convention News Editor: Anna M. Conina

      1) NOREASCON 4: ALL TERRY PRATCHETT, ALL THE TIME

      ====Part 2

      1) (continued) NOREASCON 4: ALL TERRY PRATCHETT, ALL THE TIME

      ====Part 3

      1) (continued) NOREASCON 4: ALL TERRY PRATCHETT, ALL THE TIME
      2) MENDED DRUM REPORT
      3) NEWS FROM TERRY'S AGENT

      ====Part 4

      4) THE MASTER SPEAKER
      5) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS

      ====Part 5

      6) DW -- A WAY OF LIFE
      7) AUDITION FOR INTERESTING TIMES

      ====Part 6

      8) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      9) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: GOING POSTAL

      At long last, the grand finale of . . .

      NOREASCON 4: ALL TERRY PRATCHETT, ALL THE TIME
      or, "Hi, my name is Anna, and I'll be your stalker this weekend."

      BEING the Third of a Three-Part Convention Report on the 62nd Worldcon's
      Guest of Honor by Anna M. Conina.

      Part the Third: Sunday/Monday -- Not the Usual Unusual

      We interrupt this report for a spot of shameless self-promotion:

      SHEILA AND I ARE IN THIS MONTH'S LOCUS MAGAZINE!

      Check out the very first color photo spread of the November Noreascon
      report. Terry and I appear in the "Pratchett on Trial" picture, and
      Sheila and Terry (saluting in his Legionnaire hat) are in the "GOH:
      Terry Pratchett, Legionnaire" picture. Rest assured that I am planning
      to show off this magazine to everyone I know, and probably people I
      don't, just for the hell of it. I'll walk up to complete strangers on
      the street and thrust the photo spread in their faces, saying, "Look!
      I'm Susan Death!" And then they'll edge away carefully, only breaking
      into a run after achieving a safe distance. Should be fun . . . .

      . . . . but not nearly as fun as Terry's "The Art of Titles" program on
      Sunday morning (how's *that* for a slick transition?). A highly
      subjective art, the topic stubbornly resisted all attempts to reduce it
      to a science, or impose a set of rules. One panelist absolutely loved
      each title that another trashed as silly tripe; someone voiced the
      truism, "Never name a book after a character," citing guaranteed
      financial failure (like those notorious bombs, _Oliver Twist_, _Jane
      Eyre_, _Carrie_, and _The Vampire Lestat_, perhaps?). Predictably,
      Terry scored the sharpest insights with his observations on the sound
      and serendipity of titles. A sonorous entry in a telephone directory
      triggered the upcoming Tiffany Aching book _Wintersmith_, while the name
      of a Discworld character, "Devious Collarbone," emerged from the email
      header of a random-word, stream-of-consciousness spam; "I suppose now
      the spammer can sue *me*," he mused. When the conversation shifted to
      his title-in-progress _Thud_, he favored this "sound of a body hitting
      the floor" for its Donald-Westlake-esque, murder-mystery, film-noir
      finality. One panelist seemed skeptical. "It's short, but what else
      does it have going for it?" Face poker-straight, Terry calmly
      explained, "Well, it does have the words 'by Terry Pratchett' underneath."

      The laughter from that bombshell still ringing in my ears, I moved on to
      the scheduled reading. Terry's computer rebooted smoothly while he
      gently reminded it of the unspeakable fate endured by the GOH speech
      laptop. It's often disappointing when authors read their own material,
      but Terry's a natural storyteller whose force of personality created the
      impression of speaking directly to the listener rather than reading from
      a page. After Moist von Lipwig's absurd introduction to Groat, Stanley,
      and the derelict mail system from _Going Postal_, the comedic tone
      whiplashed to a nail-gnawing, sadistically cliff-hanging chapter from
      _Wintersmith_, in which Tiffany risks her life to save the sheep,
      Roland, and her community from smothering snow with a fire-spell beyond
      her capabilities. Evocative and understated, strong and simple as the
      elements themselves, the language had the rhythm of a magic chant,
      surging to a terrible crescendo. It's some of the best emotive writing
      he's ever done.

      Having auctioned off his reading copy of the as-yet-unreleased _Going
      Postal_ for the staggering sum of $280, with proceeds benefiting the
      TAFF/DUFF fund (bidders offered rather more for the laptop, but he
      politely declined), Terry exited into the hall to settle payment with
      the proud new owner. I lingered to say hello to Kris (the ex-Agony
      Aunt), tell the auction winner about WOSSNAME, and accost Terry's
      editor, Jennifer Brehl. I was perpetually astounded by how kind both
      she and Terry were to me, never once exclaiming, "Oh, f***, it's you.
      Security!" ("You haven't reached that point . . . *yet,*" Terry once
      wryly reassured me). Squelching my extreme hero-worship fangirl
      earnestness would probably have been like kicking a puppy. Plus, they
      both like Joe a lot, so I basked in the happy glow of a sort of
      hospitality-by-proxy.

      This is why I had the chutzpah to invite Jennifer to lunch. When a
      schedule conflict prevented her from accepting, I laughingly asked if I
      would look like a scary sociopath if I extended Terry the offer instead,
      and she encouraged me to go for it. Impulsively, I did. I then awaited
      the inevitable polite refusal ("Oh, f***, it's you. Security!").

      Instead, he asked *where* I wanted to eat lunch.

      As I stood stock-still and slack-jawed with disbelief, the convention
      GOH liaison adroitly attempted to rescue him with a tactful reminder of
      the TAFF/DUFF auction he was due to visit in less than an hour. On cue,
      I agreed it might be best to scrap the whole idea, given how little time
      he had remaining. Much to my astonishment -- and probably the liaison's
      -- he shrugged and said we could still have a quick bite over at the
      concourse. I found myself sitting in front of the Mended Drum, staring
      at Terry over my fruit salad with an expression normally reserved for
      situations involving headlights and Herne the Hunted.

      Before I go on, please note the following facts in my defense:

      1. I speak much worse than I write. I'm one of those poor unfortunate
      souls who think up clever rejoinders at 3 am, usually several weeks
      after a given conversation has concluded.
      2. This was the first (and very likely the last) extended one-on-one
      interaction I'd ever had with Terry, and the fear of saying something
      stupid loomed large. "Just relax and be yourself" is good advice, but
      would have required the use of horse tranquilizers.
      3. Knowing he was pressed for time, I felt hideously guilty for imposing on
      his few free moments.
      4. I really, really, *really* didn't expect him to say yes. I was
      grateful, but gobsmacked. I still have no idea *why* he said yes, but
      I'm guessing the puppy-kicking factor was involved.

      So, suffice it to say that lunch consisted of Terry engaging in
      effortlessly witty conversation, including every conceivable gambit
      designed to encourage me to talk, while I sat in stupefied, starstruck
      silence, occasionally emitting monosyllabic squeaky sounds when a
      response seemed absolutely necessary. By the time he finally fled, I
      suspect he was making a Herculean effort not to laugh at me till salad
      snorted out his nose.

      In short, I bit the Big Sandwich.

      Now, this is where I fall back on the comforting logic of quantum
      Discworld thinking. Namely, somewhere out there is an alternate world
      where I *did* provide scintillatingly brilliant repartee (or at least
      coherent sentences). Inspired by this theory, I am sponsoring an
      official competition designed to explore that other leg of the Trousers
      of Time. I hereby encourage all of you in the peanut gallery to write
      an amusing and/or profound comment I should have made to Terry. The
      winner(s) will enjoy 15 minutes of fame in WOSSNAME, and will also
      receive one of the stylish KFL buttons I created for the convention,
      featuring both Stephen Briggs's flaming grenade logo and the
      inspirational motto, "Join the Klatchian Foreign Legion, Meet
      Interesting People, and Get Killed by Them." Entrants are welcome to
      submit multiple entries. The deadline is January 15th. Joe's
      decisions are final. And yes, this is a genuine, bona-fide competition.
      So get writing already!

      Meanwhile, back at Noreascon, the green-eyed Lady had turned upon me
      with a vengeance, fickle strumpet that she is. When I tried to join
      Terry's massive autograph line to get two books signed for a friend, I
      discovered it had closed over a half hour before. I'd have to make it
      to both signing sessions on Monday to get my friend's books and my two
      books signed, which meant I'd miss "The Serious Side of Terry Pratchett"
      panel with Esther Friesner, a very bright and funny writer who seems
      almost as big a fan of Terry as I am. Retreating to the elevators in
      defeat, I was startled from my pity party by the dazzling smile of an
      extravagantly gorgeous guy who enthused at length about the blue silk
      dress I was wearing. "I just *love* your sense of style. And I have no
      ulterior motive for saying this," he concluded brightly, "since I'm gay!"

      Oddly enough, I found my optimism restored by this off-kilter
      compliment. After all, I enjoyed chatting with fans in the autograph
      lines, so attending two in a row hardly qualified as a hardship. More
      importantly, I had just had the honor of lunching with my favorite
      author. Granted, I spent it doing a bang-up impression of a deaf-mute,
      but all in all it could have been much worse. I could have said
      something so hideously embarrassing I'd need to change my name and join
      a convent. I could have coughed up a pineapple chunk into his lap, or
      accidentally skewered him with a spork. And even if I'd come off as a
      cretin, at least my clothes looked nice. It's all a matter of perspective.

      (continued on Part 2)

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo