    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30 12:32 AM
      WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2004 -- PART 5 0F 6

      by Clarissa MacDougall

      I've been trying to remember when "Ook!" and "LEARN THE WORDS" and "I
      can't be having with this" first became a part of my daily vocabulary.

      I have been a Discworld reader since the mid-1980s, when my best friend
      begged me not to judge The Colour Of Magic and The Light Fantastic by
      their (to my eyes) ghastly off-puttingly ugly Josh Kirby covers and
      take a look at the contents. I was hooked from the start, and so were
      the men in my life. In fact, my then-boyfriend (later second husband),
      who was severely dyslexic and had had effectively no education at all,
      taught himself to read (at the age of 28!) using Discworld novels. He
      was much taken with the Librarian, and in fact may well have been the
      first in my social circle to start using "Ook" as a reply to random
      questions...but soon we were all doing it. What I can't remember,
      though, is just when Discworld quotes and Discworld references
      became a regular part of my conversation. But become it did - to the
      point where it takes us by surprise if another person is mystified by
      same - and if they are, we immediately go into a "Read Terry Pratchett
      NOW!!!" sales pitch.

      My SO recently met a friend of Hania Ogg's (and there you go - of course
      Ogg isn't her *real* surname, but she is so indisputably a young Gytha
      that the name has stuck. Ask Pterry, he can confirm this). By way of
      introduction, he asked her if she was aware that she bears a strong
      resemblance to Magrat. Really. (She does, and is now getting turned on
      to the Discworld series. We recommended she start with the Witches Trilogy.)

      Yes, of course I know that Granny Weatherwax and Lord Vetinari are
      fictional characters. But they are so well-drawn, so believable, so
      *real* that I often find myself wondering what Granny would do in a
      certain personal situation, or what Vetinari's reaction to some current
      political brouhaha might be. We have a habit of describing people, to
      each other and to acquaintances, as "a bit of an Agnes" or "a right
      archetypal Dibbler". We offer drinks to guests with the warning that
      they contain "herbs and such. And apples. Well, mostly apples." We use
      "oh, poot!" as a substitute expletive and "widdershins...no, actually
      it's turnwise" when giving directions. We have a disturbing habit of
      shouting "Crivens!" and "Och! Bigjobs!" at random moments. We describe
      and discuss all manner of things in terms of Discworld references, and
      heartily wish that Vimes were head of the Metropolitan Police and that
      Sybil would join PETA and whip some sense into their membership.

      And yet...I have never understood the whole solidarity-in-fandom thing.
      I've been a Trek aficionado since the earliest days, but never had the
      sightest urge to dress up in brow ridges or Betazoid contact lenses and
      attend a Star Trek convention. I adore Joss Whedon's oeuvre, Buffy in
      particular, but wouldn't dream of ever queueing up for James Marsters'
      autograph. I'v never been to a sci-fi con in my life and don't intend
      to start. For that matter, the thought that I may have to, on pain of
      pain (whoops, there I go again), go to the 2006 Discworld Auscon for
      journalistic reasons is already bringing me out in a rash.

      So why is Discworld so much a part of my life? I think it's because
      Terry Pratchett has created such living, sympathetic characters, and
      put so many infinitely repeatable words into their mouths, and done so
      with such memorable humour, the sort that neither withers nor stales.
      That's why I've got Discworld under my skin. I hope it's an incurable,
      lifetime condition.

      Arrggh! Hippo hippo hippo! Is *that* the time? Poot! I'd better finish
      up then. Buggrit. Another pint of winkles, please...

      Unseen Theatre Company Presents
      "Interesting Times" in Australia

      Mighty Battles! Revolution! Death! War!
      (and his sons Terror and Panic, and daughter Clancy).

      The oldest and most inscrutable empire on the Discworld is
      in turmoil, brought about by the revolutionary treatise
      What I Did On My Holidays. Workers are uniting, with
      nothing to lose but their water buffaloes. Warlords are
      struggling for power. War (and Clancy) are spreading through
      the ancient cities.

      And all that stands in the way of terrible doom for everyone
      is Rincewind the Wizard, who can't even spell the word 'wizard' ...
      Cohen the barbarian hero, five foot tall in his surgical sandals,
      who has had a lifetime's experience of not dying ...

      ...and a very special butterfly.

      WHERE: Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas St., Adelaide

      WHEN: Sunday 5th December at 3 pm

      REQUIRED: The usual hordes of about 30 people of both
      genders who are 18 yrs or over

      DIRECTOR: Pamela Munt

      DATES: March 17 to April 2 Wed. to Sat. at 8pm

      From the Director Pamela Munt on pamela@... or
      0401676071 (email is preferable and will be attended to much
      more quickly than a phone call.)

      Robert Andrews - Assistant Director on robert@...
      or 0412060989