WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2004 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004
      WOSSNAME -- OCTOBER 2004 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)
      -----------
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      2) DW NEWS FROM ALL OVER (courtesy of Discworld Monthly)

      Sorry, couldn't round up all the news this month due to the
      hurricanes down here, but our friends in the UK have filled
      in for us:
      ----------
      Terry will be visiting Australia to promote 'Going Postal' and
      celebrate 21 years of Discworld. He will be giving a public lecture
      at the Australian National University in Canberra on the 10th
      November at 12:15PM. The location is Lecture Theatre 1, Manning
      Clark Centre, ANU.
      ----------
      Stafford Players will be staging Carpe Jugulum from 10th-13th
      November 2004 at The Stafford Gatehouse, Eastgate
      Street, Stafford, and tickets are available from the Stafford
      Gatehouse Box Office - Tel (01785) 254653.

      Ticket costs are 7.50 GBP (6.00 GBP concs.) with a special "3 for
      2" offer on the first night. Further info: http://www.staffordplayers.com
      ----------
      Buxton Drama League are performing Carpe Jugulum 11-13
      November at 7.30 pm at the Buxton Opera House. Tickets are
      available from the web site or on 01298 27563 and cost 7.50, 8.50
      or 9.50 GBP (with concessions 1 GBP off).
      http://www.buxton-opera.co.uk/more.php?id=1128
      ----------
      Colsterworth Music and Drama society are performing Wyrd Sisters on
      12th and 13th November 2004 at their spacious village hall. You can
      pre-order tickets by emailing mark@...
      ----------
      The Longueville Little Theatre Company is producing Wyrd Sisters at
      the Jennie Lee Theatre in Bletchley, Milton Keynes from 24th to the
      27th November 2004. Tickets are available from the box office tel.
      no. 01908 613145, and cost 6.50 GBP each. Further details are
      available on http://www.mkweb.co.uk/lltc
      ----------
      Arena Theatre, based in Christchurch/Bournemouth in Dorset are
      about to start rehearsing for a production of Maskerade. The dates
      of the forthcoming production are Thursday 25th through until
      Saturday 27th November 2004. All shows begin at 7.30pm.
      All ticket enquiries should be made to arena_theatre@...
      ----------
      Crossfyre Young Theatricals Ipswich, Queensland, Australia, are
      doing their performance of Mort on 30 November - 2 December 2004.
      Crossfyre is a drama group for 13-18 year-old thespians, linked to
      the Ipswich Little Theatre. For more information about Crossfyre or
      Mort, anyone interested may send an email to this address
      suzanne@...
      ----------
      CAA will be presenting their own Terry Pratchett - authorised
      adaptation of Witches Abroad between 9th and 11 December 2004.

      The show takes place at the MADCAP Theatre, Wolverton, Milton
      Keynes, and tickets can be booked via their box office on 01908
      320179. Ticket costs are 8.00 GBP (5.00 GBP concs.) The curtain
      goes up at 7.30pm and there is also a 2.30pm matinee show on the
      Saturday. Further info: http://www.witchesabroad.co.uk
      (Swansea) will be presenting Wyrd Sisters at the Theatre Elli,
      Llanelli, Wales on the 9th, 10th 11th February 2005. Doors open at
      7:30 and tickets cost 5.00 GBP.
      ----------
      The 2005 Clarecraft Event will take place on 29th - 31st July
      2005 at its usual venue of Warren Farm. The theme of the event
      will be Monstrous Regiment. Details will soon appear at
      http://www.clarecraft.co.uk
      ----------
      Wadfest 2005 will take place over the weekend of the 2nd to
      5th September 2005 at a new campsite. More details can be found at
      the Wadfest website http://www.wadfest.co.uk
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) DUTCH THEATER NEWS

      To the Editor:

      We are an enthusiastic team of amateur players from Wageningen, The
      Netherlands. In 2002/2003 we performed 'Mort' four times successfully
      in small theatres in The Netherlands.

      In the near future, we want to start rehearsing Weird Sisters! There
      is only one small problem: at the moment, our group consists of only
      four players! Therefore, we are looking for players (a lot!) and
      people who can help us with other aspects of theatre (costumes,
      scenery, technique). Since we are a Dutch group, based in Wageningen,
      it is handy if you are able to travel to Wageningen regularly
      (rehearsals on weekend days).

      The four of us are all experienced amateur players. We will not hire
      any paid experts though. In order to stage a good play, we ask
      everybody to participate in the whole process (playing, designing and
      making costumes, building scenery, art direction etc.).

      When you are interested or have any questions, please contact Joyce
      Mureau (Joyce_Mureau@...). Also, when you have good ideas for
      other sites, groups etc. where this message should be posted, feel
      free to do this for us or to inform us about these sites.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      4) ANKH-MORPORK POST OFFICE (WINCANTON BRANCH)
      GRAND OPENING AND HOGSWATCH FAYRE
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Ankh-Morpork Post Office (Wincanton Branch). There will be a grand
      opening of the Ankh-Morpork Post Office, and Hogswatch Fayre, on
      Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th December 2004. Events include:
      Traditional Sausage Supper, Pin Market, a Signing of Parts, Games &
      other seasonal diversions as are allowed in the by-laws.
      Details can be found at http://www.artificer.co.uk
      ----------
      Unicorn Theatre, in which Stephen Briggs performs and directs, will
      be presenting the first ever production of Going Postal from 25 to
      29 January at 7.30 (2.30 matinee on 29/1) at Unicorn Theatre,
      Thames Street, Abingdon. Tickets are 7 GBP from sbriggs@...

      5) TROLL BRIDGE: DISCWORLD FILM DOCUMENTARY

      As some of you may (or may not) be aware, Snowgum Films recently
      screened a documentary at the recent Discworld Convention (and
      later on at the 62nd World Science Fiction Convention). It covered their
      process thus far in creating the world's first ever live-action Discworld
      movie!

      This documentary soon will be online for you all to view and enjoy.
      For more information, and to download the files, visit:
      http://www.snowgumfilms.com/trollbridge

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      6) SNOWFEST REPORT -- AUSTRALIA
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      by Drusilla D'Afanguin

      At long last, and after many years of wishing and many months of
      planning, Holly aka the Snow Queen, senior BU member and Firehose
      Monitor of Bugarup University's cybercampus, finally made her first
      visit to XXXX. She began with a short visit to Sydney, where she was met
      by Jehane the BU Weather Goddess and whisked off to Newcastle. Snow had
      heard endless tales of the wonderful XXXXian weather and was *not*
      impressed to discover that Newcastle was cold and rainy! So she went
      back to Sydney - where it immediately became cold and rainy - and then
      on to Melbourne - bringing the cold change with her...Steven and I met
      her at the railway station. Although we've "known" each other for years,
      we'd never met in person nor exchanged photographs, so I dressed as
      Granny Weatherwax, complete with hat and veil, and Steven wore a purple
      and black striped safari hat and carried a penguin. Needless to say,
      Snow had no trouble recognising us. While we'd been waiting on the
      platform (the train being delayed by nearly two hours, which I am told
      is fairly normal for interstate trains), Steven kept dropping the
      penguin; one woman came up to us because she thought it was a real
      penguin and was concerned for its welfare!

      We brought Snow home to the Fortress, had ceremonial tea, and then
      decided to forgo the usual touristy things and show her the real XXXX
      instead -- so we took her shopping at Preston Market. Really. It was a
      fine chance to observe multicultural Australia in all its glory, and
      much fun was had. And so on.

      On Saturday (the 23rd), the next day, we had the Grand Penguin
      Expedition to Phillip Island. This involved ourselves, Snow, Libwolf,
      Bek, Matt, Jeff, Mad Meg Mogg, and guests Sarah and the Israeli
      Taiwanese Coalition (aka Guy and Ju), plus three cars and an enormous
      picnic of sushi, Italian meats and cheeses, and Kentucky Fried Chicken
      (see, multicultural! -- especially the KFC with wasabi). Because we were
      running late by the time all these people got assembled, we had the
      picnic in Bek's dining room, then off we went. Our first stop on
      arriving was an Irish pub in Cowes, because it reminded me so much of
      home, though with very inferior Guinness; then on to the Penguin Centre.
      The Little Blue (or Fairy) penguins are a special feature of Melbourne,
      in the same way as Sydney Opera House but far more attractive and
      interesting. The Phillip Island colony comes ashore at sunset, gathering
      in little troops known as rafts at the water's edge while they work up
      the courage to cross the beach in front of hundreds of eager
      spectators. The weather was cold and blustery, especially at the
      seafront, and the Penguin Centre does a brisk business in waterproof
      clothing and fluffy blue blankets; we bought the latter, and a number of
      excellent penguin souvenirs, before heading down to the beach.

      It was cold.

      Watching the penguins come ashore was a delight, but the best bit was
      the 300m plank walkway back to the Centre, because by then it was dark,
      the floodlights were on, and we were able to watch the penguins as they
      called their chicks and returned to their burrows. What an amazing
      variety of noises they make! Not just the "Hook!" cry the ones at the
      zoo have, but a whole range of clicking, mewling, hooting and growling
      noises that waft over the terrain and through the underbrush like an
      aural Mexican Wave. Some of us got close enough to them to risk a peck,
      though they seemed quite peaceful. By the time we were ready to
      reluctantly leave, most of the penguins had settled down, but there were
      still a few penguin parties going on in the carpark - hence the "look
      under your car" signs with penguin pictures on them.

      We all went back to Bek's for a late remnants-of-picnic meal and
      conversation, then Libwolf came home to the Fortress to spend the night
      on the couch. The cats were terrified of him, of course.

      On Sunday, Snow and I joined Bek and Matt at Victoria Market in central
      Melbourne, where we spent time gathering souvenirs including a
      didgeridoo for Snow to take back to the Realm of Mad King George, then
      had a Yum Cha lunch in Chinatown and wandered around buying things and
      making each other *stop* buying things. Then I showed Snow the Melbourne
      trams, and met up later with Steven for Italian ices in Lygon Street.

      Monday evening was the JaseMeet at Automatic Cafe on the banks of the
      Yarra. This time the participants were most of the Saturday crowd plus
      Jase (well duh) and some mutual friends I'd invited along as a surprise
      for Jase (he was surprised). We had a lovely meal on the terrace. At
      sunset the gas flares (another Melbourne speciality) ignited on cue;
      Snow was entranced with the display, and the sight and sound touched off
      a conversation about Guards!Guards! because the flares look and sound
      exactly as we imagine a Draco Nobilis would! Unfortunately Steven was
      quite ill and had to leave early, as did some others who had an early
      start to the following workday. This eventually left Meg, Jase, Snow and
      myself giggling madly together over the remnants of supper.

      Tuesday was the DianneMeet, in Dianne's own territory, involving Dianne
      (!) (not injured for once), her daughter Tricia the Trainspotting Goth,
      Steven, Libwolf, Snow and myself. We drove to Geelong where Tricia met
      us at the Ford plant (we knew her by her registration plate) and led us
      on to Dianne's. We had a delicious lunch, met all Dianne's famous
      animals - especially her lovely, gentle mare Blaze and the mad
      Rastafarian billy goat), walked all over their smallish farm accompanied
      by retriever Zeeba who does a nice line in chasing rabbits, and learnt
      quite a lot about native XXXXian plants. Then it was back to the house
      for tea and homemade bananananana cake, and we met Dianne's husband
      Bill. It was nearly teatime (not Mister) when we left, all satisfied.

      Snow returns to Sydney next Saturday, so there will be more activities,
      but that's all for the moment because I need some sleep!