WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2004 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2004
      WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2004 -- PART 3 OF 4 (continued)
      -----------
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) "WYRD SISTERS" PRODUCTION IN THE UK

      The Longueville Little Theatre Company is producing Wyrd Sisters at
      the Jennie Lee Theatre in Bletchley, Milton Keynes from 24th to the
      27th November 2004.

      Tickets are available from box office tel. no. 01908 613145,
      and cost UKP6.50 each. Further details are available from
      John Drinkwater at http://www.mkweb.co.uk/lltc
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) AFP GREEN MAN MEET ON SEPTEMBER 18TH

      Countertony (Tony Evershed) asked that a reminder be posted about the
      forthcoming Green Man meet, as he has, temporarily, no usernet access :

      Where?

      The Green Man pub, near Great Portland Street tube station. A map can be
      found at <http://tinyurl.com/6exyr> (you walk out of the tube station
      and turn right; the pub should be right in front of you).

      When?

      Saturday 18th September, at or about 6 in the evening, until people
      wander off. I'll be travelling up with a few friends from Exeter (be
      gentle with them, folks - I'll be living with them for another year...),
      so anything happening before then is possible, but not easily planned.

      What?

      Well, in meets past the following activities have occurred...beer,
      singing, chocolate, cheese, punning (and associated fines), soft toys,
      pub grub, role-playing or board games, quotefiling, being quotefiles,
      some quite amazing dresses (is this an activity? - ed.), geeking,
      extremely compromising photos, outrageous vommery and calculated
      psychological cruelty. Among other things.

      -- Mark Datko (aka hippo) O.B.O. Ctony

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) TWEED MEET 1.0 : Berwick upon Tweed : October 22, 23, 24 2004
      (Marking at least two afper birthdays)

      As some Pratchett fans are planing to gather in the historic
      border town of Berwick upon Tweed during the weekend
      including October 23 to celebrate a particular fan's birthday,
      I thought I'd open the invitation out to all and officially announce
      TweedMeet 1.0.

      The fan in question is Tessa, who many of you, I'm sure will remember,
      was solely responsible for the scrumptious chocolate hedgehog cake and
      smaller hedgehogs at the Hedgehog party at the August convention.
      Tessa has also helped to make many a YorkMeet a success in the past.

      Afp-meet type activities will no doubt transpire all weekend in this
      delightful historic location, including the usual tourist sites, fine food,
      drink and cordial atmosphere.

      Whilst exact plans are still tentative the meet proper will commence
      at 12:30 at the railway station Berwick-upon-Tweed, England on
      October 23, 2004.

      Details of the wide range of accommodation in the area to suit all tastes
      and pockets, in particular the backpackers hostel close to the
      aforementioned station may be found by following the links at
      http://www.berwickonline.org.uk/

      Offers of any crash space in the area though, would of course be gratefully
      received.

      For further details and reports as plans progress, please e-mail me.

      -- Mark Datko (hippo)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) AFP HALLOWEEN MEETING IN LONDON OCTOBER 30

      Where: Basement, Green Man Pub, Great Portland Street, London, UK
      http://pubs.lspace.org.uk/UK/London/GreenMan.html

      When: 6pm-11pm, Saturday 30th of October 2004AD

      Why: Y!

      Blurb: Not just your run-of-the-mill Halloween afp meet, this also
      threatens to feature afpers central to The Tale [2], making
      it even more scary. That is, the afpers who in this reality
      are pale shadows of Dextra Bos, FiX Ballong, Ramoc Villtin,
      and the gray cat [3] have said they'll try to come. That is
      why this announcement is so early, to give them time to try
      to get a trip over to UK sorted. For the rest, you can rest
      assured that there will be afpers you have or have not met,
      coffee, ale, lager, cider, food, talk, geekery, cuddly toys
      and probably interesting costumes. This is primarily an afp
      meet, so if you thoroughly loathe The Tale: don't worry. As
      with any afp meet, there should be plenty of other features
      to interest you. Costumes, based on Halloween or Tale theme
      are welcome but not compulsory. An interest in meeting old,
      or new, friends is. Well, if you only want to come for beer
      I guess that's okay, too. Personally, I just want to find a
      way to end this blurb brick-text in a neat and nice manner.

      Sleep: As always, offers and requests for crash space are welcome.

      More: This announcement will be repeated closer to the event, for
      afpers who are on holiday or have the memory of a goldfish.

      [1] 11/30/04 or 041130 are valid alternatives
      [2] http://www.student.lu.se/~his02ero/
      [3] Richard, Fix, Marco and Graycat, from .nl, .fr, .se/il and .se

      -- Orjan
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) GOING POSTAL ON SALE IN UK

      Just to let you know that Going Postal was spotted in our
      local WHSmiths on Friday. They're selling it for £14.99 -
      which is a fiver more than I shall be able to get it from work
      or than Asda will be selling it for judging by previous years),
      so I shall just have to be patient, but I thought our UK listees
      might like to know it's out there....

      In the meanwhile if you want to find out which member of the
      City Watch you are, click the following
      http://quizilla.com/users/Margolotta/quizzes/Discworld%3A%20Which%20Ankh-Morpork%20City%20Watch%20Character%20are%20
      YOU%3F/
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) NIGHT WATCH OPENS IN AUSTRALIA

      The Unseen Theatre Company will present the
      Australian Premiere of Terry Pratchett's "Night Watch"
      at the Bakehouse Theatre in Adelaide from October
      15th through the 30th.

      Director Pamela Munt has assembled a fine cast of old
      and new members of Unseen Theatre Company including
      George Leaman as Sam Vimes and Andrew Dowling (who
      was nominated for the Critic's Circle Awards 2003) as the
      "evil dude" Carcer.

      If you watch carefully, you will also see Pamela in a cameo
      role as Lady Meserole. It seems she just can't keep away
      from the stage. Pamela is also very excited about the set
      design for this show with which she hopes to create a real
      "Discworld/Ankh-Morporkian" street atmosphere.

      Tracey Watchman and Kyly Knaggs appear as "The Agony
      Aunts" led by their "Madam" Merri Brown as Rosie Palm.
      These experienced actors will lead a large cast of new young
      "recruits" who are as eager to accomplish their task of entertaining
      you as "The City Watch" is to win their never ending battle
      against the evil characters of The Shades.

      WHERE: BAKEHOUSE THEATRE, 255 ANGAS STREET, ADELAIDE
      WHEN: OCTOBER 15-30 (WEDNESDAY TO SATURDAY) AT 8 PM.
      TICKETS: ADULTS $15 CONCESSION $12 GROUPS OF TEN OR MORE $10
      THAI HUTT DINNER DEAL $30
      BOOKINGS: PHONE 82962004 (7 days from 7am to 7pm)
      BASS 131246 (Booking Fee will apply)

      For more information about the show, or to arrange interviews
      contact Pamela on pamela@... 0401676071,
      or browse through their website www.unseen.com.au

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS AROUND THE WORLD
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      9) GRANNY LIVES!

      To the Editor:

      I was waiting for a bus the other day, sitting on a bench enjoying
      the sunshine, when my reveries were interrupted by a female
      voice speaking what I call the Broad Aussie Parrot Screech (for
      Forn people who have never heard this, think of one of the Monty
      Python drag housewives - "Good morning, Mrs Peculiar!" - with
      an XXXXian accent. For Mel's Bournians, think Broadmeadows).
      Turning to see the source of this, I was confronted by a Grade A
      mutton-as-lamb double-taker, i.e. the sort of female who looks
      like a hot young babe from behind, but when she turns around...
      eek! Chest-length straight bleached-platinum hair with the sort
      of fringes that only suit girls under the age of 13; long-boned,
      girlishly slender body dressed in a white cotton singlet, retro
      bellbottomed jeans and platform mules; and a leather-skinned,
      seamed, hard-eyed 50something face that sooo didn't match the
      rest of her! My first thought was on the order of "Eww, what_
      is_she_like?" But once we were ensconced on the bus, I continued
      to surreptitiously[1] watch her. And I realised that actually she
      wasn't "ugly" at all, despite the skin that looked like she'd spent
      far too many holidays on the beach in Queensland, or at least
      at the tanning salon. Her nose was a small bit too long and
      strong, likewise for her chin, and her mouth had the downward
      lines of a lifetime of frowning, and there was the steely eagle
      set to her eyes. but still, in sympathetic lighting, she'd be a quite
      handsome woman, and was probably a fine looker in her youth,
      and there was something familiar about the cast of her features...

      And then it hit me. I was looking at Esmerelda Weatherwax!

      Yes, she was Granny to the life, exactly as Pterry describes her.
      As soon as I realised this, I imagined that straight white hair
      put up in Granny's iron chignon, and the picture was perfect!

      Damn, that was one of those times when I could have done with
      a camera phone! Does anyone know what they cost these days,
      in case we share the same bus again?

      -- Steven D'Aprano, Australia
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo