WOSSNAME -- JULY 2004 -- PART 2A OF 3 (continued) REVISED

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2004
      This just popped up on my computer again with a note
      saying it was never sent because it had never been approved.
      Needless to say, it was approved. Please let me know
      if you ever got it. Many thanks.
      --Joe, being driven crazy by cybernetic foul-ups.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      WOSSNAME -- JULY 2004 -- PART 2A OF 3 (continued) REVISED
      REVISED PAGE -- PLEASE DISCARD PART 2. SORRY <):-)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) NESFA PUBLISHES NEW PRATCHETT BOOK
      AT NOREASCON

      ONCE MORE * With Footnotes
      by Terry Pratchett

      Introduction by Esther Friesner

      Cover by Omar Rayyan; dust jacket design by Omar & Sheila Rayyan
      edited by Sheila Perry and Priscilla Olson
      Hard cover ISBN: 1-886778-57-4, 288 pp., 5.5" x 8.5", To be released at
      Noreascon 4, September 2004, $25.00.

      Another new Pratchett book, "ONCE MORE * with
      Footnotes," will be out this September, containing
      scores of Terry's short stories and articles. Included are:

      Alien Christmas (story), And Mind the Monoliths (article),
      Ankh-Morpork National Anthem. (The story, sort of),
      The Big Store (article), The Choice Word (article),
      Cult Classic (article), Death and What Comes Next (story),
      Doctor Who? (article), Elves Were Bastards (article),
      Faces of Fantasy / On Writing (article), Final Reward (story),
      FTB (story), The Hades Business (story), High Tech, Why Tech?
      (article), Hollywood Chickens (story), Imaginary Worlds, Real
      Stories (article), Incubust (story), Intro to: Brewer's Dictionary
      Of Phrase And Fable [16th edition], Intro to: The Leaky
      Establishment by David Langford, Intro to: The Ultimate
      Encyclopedia of Fantasy, Intro to: The Unseen University
      Challenge, Intro to: The Wyrdest Link, Let There be Dragons (article),
      Magic Kingdoms (article), Medical Notes (story, sort of)
      Neil Gaiman: Amazing Master Conjurer (article), No Worries (article),
      Once and Future (story), The Orangutans are Dying (article),
      Paperback Writer (article), Roots of Fantasy (article)
      The Sea and Little Fishes (story), Secret Book of the Dead (poem),
      Sheer Delight: Tribute to Bob Shaw (article), Theatre of Cruelty (story)
      Thought Progress (article), Thud -- A Historical Perspective (story, sort of)
      Troll Bridge (story), Turntables of the Night (story), Twenty Pence with
      Envelope and Seasonal Greeting (story),
      Whose Fantasy Are You? (article), A Word About Hats (article)

      Omar Rayyan is a Massachusetts artist best known for his
      illustrations of children's books and stories. His work regularly
      appears in Cricket magazine. He has won awards from the World
      Fantasy Convention ("Most Humorous") and the New England
      Press Association (for editorial illustration). Rayyan's work delights
      fans at many regional and national science fiction conventions.

      Address questions about the book to sales@....
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) MAJOR TERRY INTERVIEW CONTAINS
      HINTS OF FORTHCOMING BOOKS
      by Anna M. C.

      One of the best aspects of my employment in a public library is
      that, in the course of my sci-fi/fantasy collection development
      duties, I actually get paid to read Locus magazine. Is this the
      perfect job, or what?

      Imagine my excitement when I discovered that the May 2004
      issue of Locus featured an insightful, lengthy interview entitled
      "Terry Pratchett: 21 Years of Discworld." It's chock-full of
      the Great One's candid, sometimes controversial, often funny,
      and always intelligent (bordering on knurd) views on such
      topics as the writing process; children's books; the evolution
      of sci-fi; other prominent authors; fandom; and the future of
      Discworld.

      I highly recommend you drop everything else you're doing
      (unless it's heavy, and your foot is directly underneath, or
      you're holding a small child -- use your own judgment) and
      read it ASAP. Copies are available via direct order from
      Locus (PO Box 13305, Oakland, CA 94661;
      fax 510-339-8144), or your local library (don't forget the magic
      of interlibrary loan).

      In the interim, here are a few highlights to tantalize you,
      first from the forthcoming Going Postal:

      "The next adult Discworld book, Going Postal, will be
      published close to the 21st anniversary of the first
      Discworld book, so I have to make certain it's good! . . .
      there seems to be an international habit of postmen,
      when the stress gets too much, to stash undelivered mail
      everywhere, like mad hamsters storing food . . .

      "Going Postal involves a confidence trickster, a forger
      and flimflam man, who's due to be hanged until Lord
      Vetinari, in his beneficent wisdom, sends a stay of
      execution with the offer: 'You can go back on the
      scaffold or you can become Postmaster General.'
      The guy says: 'But I'm a career criminal! I deceive
      people! I take money from them!' The reply?
      'Welcome to government service.' Sometimes,
      maybe, a criminal is better at getting things to work.
      And then he finds out how the last four postmasters died . . . ."

      And another upcoming book, sort of an alternate history of Darwin:

      "There is going to be a third Science of Discworld book, because
      I got together with Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart and we were
      speculating on what life would have been like if The Origin of
      Species had never been written. . . . what if Darwin had written
      a magnificent, sparkling work of what is effectively creationist
      science rather than Origin, one that effectively became
      acceptable to all sides in the debate?"

      When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way . . .

      "I put 'sleepers' in various books, little hooks for future books.
      Sitting there for years and years are the two powerful aristocratic
      families in Ankh-Morpork, the Selachii and the Venturii -- loosely
      translated, they are the Sharks and the Jets, which means I'm
      setting them up for a Discworld version of Romeo and Juliet.
      Most people could give you a thumbnail Romeo and Juliet plot
      even if they don't really know their Shakespeare, simply because
      there have been so many movies. I think it was meant to be a
      comedy; one day, I'll try it."

      Dark Discworld:

      "'Grim' is probably the wrong word for my last few adult books;
      grim by comparison, I suppose, to get away from that 'wacky,
      zany' label."

      The Discworld fandom: It's alive, it's alive!

      "When one town in the UK took Ankh-Morpork as its
      sister city a few years ago, the ceremony was astonishing:
      there must have been at least 600 people in costume . . . .
      I felt a bit like Baron Frankenstein -- you put the crocodile
      clips to the bolt on the neck and pull the lever and it gets up
      off the slab, and it's walking down to the village, and you've
      got no idea where it's going to go or what you can do about it.
      It was great fun."

      Gaining respect from the literary establishment:

      "One of the curious things I've found, which was particularly
      noticeable after The Amazing Maurice, is that if you're known
      as a fantasy writer, the literary people kind of edge around a
      bit, but if you're writing for children: 'Ah, that's OK. That
      nice Professor Tolkien and that nice Mr Lewis did that.'"

      On being a workaholic:

      ". . . this winter I had a bit of a health scare . . . . I took a
      good look around and thought: there's no actual rule that
      says I have to do two books a year. . . . I think I'm going
      to take more holidays. The trouble is, last time I went on
      holiday I wrote 25,000 words!"

      (All quotes are copyright Locus magazine, May 2004 issue)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) PRATCHETT RECOVERS FROM HEART OPERATION

      After reading reports from several different sources about Terry
      having a serious heart operation, we contacted Colin Smythe to try to
      find out what had happened. Terry wrote back:

      "What I had was an angioplasty, where they widen arteries in the
      heart by going up through your leg (believe me). No real
      cutting, no weeks in bed, it's an out-next-day-job. I gather
      there was some 'excitement' because I reacted badly to something
      or other, but I was out of it and dreaming of sandwiches and,
      indeed, was out next day.

      "I'm not making a big deal out of this one way or the other. It
      wasn't an emergency operation, although it would have had to be
      done sooner or later; it was needed because of the long term
      effects of high blood pressure I didn't know I had, and which is
      now nice and low because they've got the pills right."

      -- Terry Pratchett.
      7) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: THE WEE FREE MEN

      Answer the questions and put the letter indicated into
      the spot shown. Read the letters backwards and
      find out who is the Big Man of the Clan.
      (Note: all spellings are from the 2002 HarperCollins edition.)
      Example: Pratchett's first name -- 1st letter:
      ANSWER: Terry = T

      1. The river monster (first name, 5th letter)
      2. A Pictsie blabbermouth (first name, 1st letter)
      3. Tiffany's little brother (first name, 6th letter)
      4. Tiffany's cat (first name, 4th letter)
      5. Sick old lady who died in the snow (last name, 9th letter)
      6. The Baron's son (first name, 5th letter)
      7. Granny Aching's maiden name (first name, 2nd letter)
      8. Little man who can say only his name but makes
      real words turn up in your head (name, 5th letter)
      9. Daughter of the old Kelda (first name, 3rd letter)
      10. Tiffany's witch teacher (first name, 3rd letter)

      __/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/ = The Big Man of the Clan
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/

      Puzzle solution will appear next month.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      SOLUTION TO LAST MONTH'S PUZZLE: NIGHT WATCH
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1. What the other Assassins called the young Vetinari.
      (name, 1st letter) DOG-BOTHERER = D
      2. Dotsie and Sadie (title, 1st letter) AGONY AUNTS = A
      3. The Pox Doctor (nickname, 2nd letter) MOSSY LAWN = O
      4. Insane Patrician (last name, 6th letter) LORD WINDER = R
      5. A foreign guy with a funny name who ran the shonky shop
      (middle name, 6th letter) SOON SHINE SUN = E
      ERROR: should have been 5th letter
      6. Head of the old Watch (last name, 6th letter)
      CAPTAIN TILDEN = N
      7. Teacher of Sgt. Colon (first name, 2nd letter)
      SGT. WINSBOROUGH KNOCK = I
      8. Temporarily, senior officer in the field (last name, 1st letter)
      MAJ. CLIVE MOUNTJOY-STANDFAST = M
      9. Head of the Unmentionables (first name, 6th letter)
      CAPT. FINDTHEE SWING = E
      ERROR: should be 7th letter
      10. Had L and R painted on his boots (last name, 4th letter)
      WALLY WIGLET = L
      11. Eventually, Captain of the Palace Guard (last name, 1st letter)
      CARCER = C
      12. Becomes the new Patrician after 4. above (last name, 3rd letter)
      LORD SNAPCASE = A
      13. Trainer of young Sam Vimes (last name, 2nd letter)
      JOHN KEEL = E
      14. Bobbi from Genua (first name, 1st letter)
      LADY ROBERTA MESEROLE = R
      15. The cemetery's resident gravedigger (first name, 5th letter)
      LEGITIMATE FIRST = T

      D_/A_/O_/R_/E_/N_/I_/M_/E_/L_/C_/A_/E_/R_/T_/ = Where the Glorious
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/11/12/13/14/15/ People's Republic was

      TREACLE MINE ROAD

      Help needed! Would you like to help prevent errors in the
      Puzzle? Contact Joe Schaumburger at jschaum111@...
      and be our new puzzle editor.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo