WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2004 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2004
      June 2004 (Volume 7, Issue 6)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Convention News Editor: Anna M.C.

      1) CONVENTION IN SPAIN -- ANKH-MADRIZ III
      2) TERRY IS GUEST OF HONOR AT WORLDCON IN U.S.
      3) REPORT FROM TERRY'S AGENT
      4) MORT ON BBC
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) LOST MUNTAB
      6) UNDIES IN A TWIST?
      7) AHFOS vs. WFM
      8) A RESPONSE TO SUPERDAN

      ====Part 2

      9) THE NEW DISC HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3

      10) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: NIGHT WATCH

      1) CONVENTION IN SPAIN -- ANKH-MADRIZ III

      For the third consecutive year, the Convention of the Discworld Kevins
      in Spain will be celebrated in Madrid, or rather in Ankh-Madriz.
      The convention will take place on July 24 and 25. There are plans for
      role-playing events, filksong contests, trivia games, a presentation
      of a scene from a Spanish production of Mort, Thud games, even a subtitled
      film version of Soul Music. Attendees will also receive an Unseen University
      diploma, and prizes will be awarded for the winners of various contests.
      For more information, contact: http://gritos.com/mundodisco/

      (Ed. note: This is as well I can translate a lengthy release on this major
      Con. If you can speak Spanish, go to the website for a lot more
      data and some amusing pictures.)

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) TERRY IS GUEST OF HONOR AT WORLDCON IN U.S.

      Are any Klatchian Foreign Legionnaires going to be attending the
      Boston Noreascon? (If you're reading this, you're already a KFL member.)

      Terry Pratchett is a Guest of Honor at the con, which is Noreascon Four,
      the 62nd Worldcon. It will be held from September 2nd through 6th.

      Our coordinator for a KFL meet-up will be Anna M.C. You can reach
      her at annamc@... if your Labor Day Weekend plans
      include a trip to the con. We will try to set up a special meeting
      for our group with Terry.

      Also, if any of our readers would like to write up their experiences
      at the con, please send them in and we will publish them. Send them
      to Joe Schaumburger at: jschaum111@...

      3) REPORT FROM TERRY'S AGENT

      Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, reports:

      I'm delighted to say that on 16 July Terry receives his fourth
      honorary doctorate -- a LittD from the University of Bristol.

      Stephen Briggs featured among the 2004 Audie Award winners,
      in the Science Fiction category, as reader of Monstrous Regiment,
      published in the USA by Harper Audio and in Britain by Isis. The
      Audies are the annual awards handed out by the (American) Audio
      Publishers Association, so this award went to Harper Audio.

      L'Atalante have signed contract for French editions of The Fifth
      Elephant and The Truth.
      Noesis in Romania are buying Sourcery.
      Borgens in Denmark are buying Mort and Sourcery.
      Pocket Books in France are buying mass market paperback
      rights in Interesting Times and Maskerade.

      Proszynski in Poland have just published Feet of Clay, and
      Terry has just returned from a four day signing which had it
      been twice as long would not have satisfied Polish fans. They
      had to be turned away from the shops in their hundreds as
      there were too many wanting their books signed. At one time
      he was signing 20 books a minute; the only way to leave two
      of the shops to catch the last train was with the help of a
      column of security guards!

      4) MORT ON BBC

      BBC Radio 4 are broadcasting an adaptation of MORT in four
      half-hour episodes at 11.00pm on Tuesdays, which began on
      15th June, and continued on 22and 29 June, and will finish
      on July 6. It can be listened to at 23.00 UK time at
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4.shtml?fm
      or afterwards at
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) LOST MUNTAB

      Some comments from our readers about the Muntab question:

      To the Editor:

      Proof of Muntab in Wyrd Sisters:

      The calendar of the Theocracy of Muntab counts down, not up.
      No one knows why, but it might not be a good idea to hang
      around and find out.

      More proof in Carpe Jugulum (Verence to Nanny):

      "...We're part of a big world. We have to play that part. For
      example, what about the Muntab question?"

      Nanny Ogg asked the Muntab question.

      "Where the hell's Muntab?" she said.

      "Several thousand miles away, Mrs Ogg. But it has ambitions
      hubwards, and if there's war with Borogravia we will certainly
      have to adopt a position."

      -- Takahe Notornis (maybe)

      To the Editor:

      Where, on the Discworld Mappe, do you think the Chalk
      might be?

      I won't make any prejudicial comments, but Steven and I
      were thinking about it and poring over the Mappe the
      other night, and we have a few ideas...

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      To the Editor:

      My guess would be on the Sto Plains - nearer the mountains
      than any of the cities.

      -- Paul

      (Ed.: Don't ask me. I only publish this stuff. I think we took a
      wrong turn some months back.)

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) UNDIES IN A TWIST?

      Hello brother & sister Wossnamers:

      I was curious if there was a difference in spelling 'kelda' across the
      Atlantic between the States and the UK. Here in the States, there is an
      inconsistency in which the Kelda's name is sometimes capitalized and
      sometimes not capitalized. Yet the 'Big Man' character always has his title
      capitalized. I admit to getting my feminist undies in a twist if the States
      distributor of Pratchett's stories shirks at capitalizing Kelda, when her
      character is so obviously the queen of her clan. Yes, she's an earth mother
      figure. Give her the respect she deserves and capitalize her title...

      *gets off soapbox*

      --Morosan
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) AHFOS vs. WFM

      To the Editor:

      Just finished A Hat Full of Sky, which the nice people at Ipswich
      Council library got for me, first in the queue I was!!

      Somebody once said sequels were never as good as the original, but
      they must never have read PTerry.

      Bloody excellent!! And every bit as good as Wee Free Men.

      I actually prefer it to Wee Free Men.

      -- Simone

      To the Editor:

      AHFoS is bigger, broader, darker, more mature, all that. But then
      again it couldn't exist without WFM to set the story. I love them both!

      --Astrid Osborn

      8) A RESPONSE TO SUPERDAN

      To the Editor:

      (Last month, a letter from SuperDan DtU, Dread
      Scribe of the Postvital, President of the BU Super
      Heroes Association, argued:

      No offense to anyone concerned, but, who cares?
      What is this incessant need to overanalyze books and
      stories searching for "hidden" meanings as to why
      characters do things.

      In rebuttal, Stacie Hanes says:

      People, authors included, are not always explicitly
      aware of why they think, do, or write certain things.
      Our responses are filtered through current culture
      and reflect it, almost invariably. People use literature
      to shine a light on real life, as well as for entertainment.

      One reason people analyze literature is to examine the
      world from another angle --make connections, turn life
      this way and that, get a look at the hidden side. It's a
      very large analogy and metaphor game; by thinking
      about why a character might have acted in a certain way, a
      critic might have some insight into a real situation. Genres
      do differ in philosophy, but for most purposes, the genre is
      the tint of the lens through which we examine our world --
      it doesn't obscure the detail, and you just pick your favorite
      color so that it's more fun.

      Yes, it is simple, on a superficial level. But to leave it there
      is to use very little of what literature can do. The key is knowing
      when to drop it. There is a point when it's no longer valuable to
      speculate about a character's behavior.

      Analyzing a character's behavior, or the timeline of a series of
      books (while it can become tedious) is also a way of discussing
      the craft of writing, in the flavor of choice. Character and internal
      logic are important in well-crafted books. It's natural for people,
      most of whom are not particularly interested in the pedagogy of
      writing, to discuss these things in terms of the books the like best.

      -- Stacie Hanes