WOSSNAME May 2004 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2004
      WOSSNAME May 2004 -- PART 2 OF 4 (continued)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      6) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: THE AMAZING MAURICE
      AND HIS EDUCATED RODENTS
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Answer the questions and put the letter indicated into
      the spot shown. Read the letters backwards and
      discover who Spider is.
      (Note: all spellings are from the 2001 HarperCollins edition.)
      Example: Pratchett's first name -- 1st letter:
      ANSWER: Terry = T

      1. Head female rat (first name, 3rd letter)
      2. Head of the Watch in Bad Blintz (last name, 9th letter)
      3. Mayor's daughter (first name, 4th letter)
      4. A clockwork rat (name, 5th letter)
      5. Owner of Jacko the terrier (second name, 3rd letter)
      6. Head male rat (name, 2nd letter)
      7. The tap-dancing rat (name, 3rd letter)
      8. The little female rat who writes things down (name, 2nd letter)
      9. The younger piper (first name, 5th letter)
      10. The rat who wears toolbelts (name, 5th letter)

      __/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/ =
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/

      Puzzle solution will appear next month.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      SOLUTION TO LAST MONTH'S PUZZLE: THE LAST HERO
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1. The Uncompassionate, killed by Boy Willie
      (name, 1st letter) NING = N
      2. God of wine and things on sticks (name, 2nd letter)
      BIBULOUS = I
      3. The Soul Sucker (name, 8th letter) prayed to by Evil Harry Dread
      (second name, 5th letter) OLK-KALATH = T
      4. Goddess of the afternoon (name, 1st letter)
      SESSIFET = S
      5. The Crocodile-Headed God (name, 2nd letter)
      ERROR - SHOULD BE 5TH LETTER
      OFFLER = E
      6. God of the winds (name, 1st letter)
      FLATULUS = F
      7. God of certain mushrooms, and also of great ideas you
      forgot to write down and can't remember (name, 1st letter)
      ERROR - SHOULD BE 6TH LETTER
      TOPAXI = I
      8. God in charge of paperclips, unnecessary paperwork, etc.
      (name, 1st letter) NUGGAN = N
      9. Goddess of squashed animals (name 1st letter)
      ANIGER = A
      10. Immortal bringer of fire (name, 1st letter)
      MAZDA = M
      11. Goddess of the sea, apple pie, certain types of ice cream, and
      short lengths of string (name, 8th letter)
      LIBERTINA = N
      12. Goddess of saunas, snow and small theatrical performances
      (name, 1st letter) URIKA = U
      13. The Goddess Who Must Not be Named (title, 3rd letter)
      THE LADY = D

      N_/I_/T_/S_/E_/F_/I_/N_/A_/M_/N_/U/D/ = Where the gods are
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/11/12/13/ = DUNMANIFESTIN

      CORRECTION OF MARCH PUZZLE: THIEF OF TIME

      WRONG ANSWERS:
      6. Chief acolyte to the abbot (3rd letter of name)
      CLODPOOL
      7. Apprentice to the Eternally Surprised (4th letter of name)
      RINPO
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      To the Editor:

      Not to rain on your parade, but these two answers
      are interchanged -- Clodpool was Wen's befuddled
      follower, Rinpo was whacked with the rubber yak.

      Other than that, Wossname was as usual a heap o' fun.

      -- Mrs Cake, waving a happy hello
      THE CORRECT ANSWERS ARE:

      6. Chief acolyte to the abbot (3rd letter of name)
      RINPO = N
      7. Apprentice to the Eternally Surprised (4th letter of name)
      CLODPOOL = D

      /Y /A /D /S /E/ N /D /E /W = Day the world will end
      / 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ 8/ 9/ = WEDNESDAY

      No great harm was done here, since the puzzle itself
      was OK, just the answers got switched -- and besides,
      the world is going to end on Wednesday, anyhow. <):-)

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) DW THEME BANDS

      To the Editor:

      How about DW-themed band names *not* made up by
      the Creator of DW?

      -- Lias Bluestone

      To the Editor:

      How about:

      The Quantum Butterflies
      Pointless Albatross
      The Sammies
      Cohen The Barbarian And His Silver Horde
      Rat On A Stick
      Wow-wow Sauce
      Lu-Tze and The Sweepers
      Swamp Dragon
      Dibbler's Pie
      Vetinari and the Mimes

      Anyone else want to try?

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      To the Editor:

      How about these:

      The Muntab Question
      Johnny Hates Klatch
      The Morphic Street Conspiracy
      Rincewind's Hat
      The Bumper Fun Grimoire
      1,000 Elephants

      Dwarf Bands:

      Gold
      The Rat Eaters
      Stone of Scone
      Small Deposits of Calcified Quartz in the Head
      Kid Granite, with a Small Seam of Shale
      Lawn Ornaments

      Troll Bands:

      The Lotsa Seasons
      Many's A Crowd
      Pyrite and the Rockbangers

      Other:

      Wizzard
      Dean and the Senior Wrangler
      The Musician's Guild (later found in much pain, especially the ring-in
      piccolo player)
      Death of Music
      The Morris Men
      Good Boy Laddie
      A'Tuin and the Four Elephants
      The Fifth Elephant
      Kelda 'n' da t'ousand Mac Feegle

      All I can think of for now at least.

      -- ConMan

      8) VETINARI IN JINGO

      To the Editor;

      An interesting essay on why Vetinari acts the way he does in Jingo:
      http://www.ealasaid.com/fan/vetinari/musings-jingo.html

      --The Snow Queen

      To the Editor:

      No offense to anyone concerned, but, who cares?
      What is this incessant need to overanalyze books and
      stories searching for "hidden" meanings as to why
      characters do things.

      It really is one of my pet peeves. You either like the
      book or you don't and you have your reasons for that.
      People searching for and imposing drug culture,
      homosexuality and antiwar sentiments on the Lord of
      the Rings is a perfect example. The author refuted
      them all, but people are still fixated with pointing
      out where they *think* it is.

      Although tongue in cheek, my earlier post really said
      it all. Vetinari did what he did because Mr Pratchett
      wrote those words. Ta-dah! Pretty simple really isn't
      it?

      The Discworld is a fictional place with made-up
      characters. If Vetinari does something "out of
      character" he does it because the author made him do
      it, nothing more sinister than that really. The
      character himself didn't have dark ulterior motives,
      because well, he doesn't exist except in our
      imaginations and on the page.
      Anyway, soapbox is now free.

      -- SuperDan DtU, Dread Scribe of the Postvital,
      President of the BU Super Heroes Association.

      9) LOST MUNTAB

      To the Editor:

      (as in "Where the hells is Muntab?")

      Where, on the Discworld Mappe, do you think the Chalk
      might be?

      I won't make any prejudicial comments, but Steven and I
      were thinking about it and poring over the Mappe the
      other night, and we have a few ideas...

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      To the Editor:

      My guess would be on the Sto Plains - nearer the mountains than
      any of the cities.

      -- Paul

      (Editor: This is rather cryptic, I'm afraid. Who -- or what -- is Muntab?
      Which book is it from? Alas, like many of our readers, I have not
      memorized every word, and can't find it. Nor is it mentioned in any
      of the Discworld Companion books. Anyone care to hazard a guess?)

      10) PIERS ANTHONY

      To the Editor:

      As for reading humour - admittedly Pratchett may not
      be as funny as Anthony if you like those bad puns, and
      are reading the book without reference to the outside
      world, and aren't really looking for a deep and
      meaningful read but just a quickie. But we don't,
      aren't and are, so we like Pratchett more!

      -- Maiyuran Arumugam

      (Editor: In defense of Piers Anthony, I have read the
      entire series at least twice, and he rarely messes
      up the continuity. Some of the puns are pretty
      awful, but others are quite amusing. As for "looking
      for a deep and meaningful read," like what? Perhaps
      some of us are looking for another Charles Dickens
      or William Shakespeare, and they may find one in
      in Pratchett, but many readers ARE just looking for
      a "quickie." Is this a crime?)

      11) KFL NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

      The KFL's Spanish-speaking section is rapidly approaching the
      1,000 member mark, if it hasn't reached it yet. "Soul Music"
      (same title in Spanish, after some thinking in which fans were
      involved) is about to hit the shelves in June. The editors already
      have the translation of "Eric" in their hands, ready to fill a nearly
      historic gap in the series. It'll have to be an unillustrated
      version (for marketing reasons, I suppose) and will become
      available in January 2005. "Interesting Times" is scheduled
      for July 2005, so the Spanish KFL proudly announces that 2005
      will be the "Incompetent Wizzard Year". Timun Más (another
      company publishing the Master's works) will re-release the
      Bromeliad Trilogy in paperback. Oh, and we'll be having a
      Third Discworld Con in Madrid (Ankh-Madriz III) at the end
      of July, but the details will have to wait a bit. There will
      be a Karaoke Filk Contest. I froze with fear when I read that.

      -- Manu
      editor
      El Puercoespín
      mavide @...
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo