WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2004 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2004
      April 2004 (Volume 7, Issue 4)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) GOING POSTAL -- THE COLIN SMYTHE REPORT
      2) THEATRE: "MASKERADE" IN AUSTRALIA, SCOTLAND
      3) TERRY'S SIGNING TOUR IN THE UK, AUSTRALIA AND NZ
      4) SYDMEET REPORT

      ====Part 2

      5) GAMECON IN BRISBANE?

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      6) GRIPLEY MYSTERY SOLVED AT LAST!
      7) PRATCHETT COLLECTION AT MUSEUM
      8) AMAZING TERRY

      ====Part 3

      9) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: THE LAST HERO
      10) THE NEW DISC HOROSCOPE

      1) GOING POSTAL -- THE COLIN SMYTHE REPORT

      Colin Smythe, Terry Pratchett's agent, reports, "I've just
      received a copy of HarperCollins' Hardcover Fall 2004
      catalog, containing their announcement of Going Postal,
      which is described as "A splendid send-up of government,
      the postal system, and everything that lies in between".
      It will be published first week of October.

      "Convicted con-man and forger Moist van Lipwig is given a
      choice. Face the hangman's noose, or get Ankh-Morpork's
      ancient post office up and running efficiently! It was a tough
      decision....

      Now, the former criminal is facing really big problems. There's
      tons of undelivered mail. Ghosts are talking to him. One of the
      postmen is 18,000 years old. And you really wouldn't want to
      know what his new girlfriend can do with a shoe.

      To top it off, shadowy characters don't want the mail moved.
      Instead, they want him dead -- deader than all those dead
      letters. (And here he'd thought that all he'd have to face was
      rain, snow, and gloom of night..."

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) THEATRE: "MASKERADE" IN AUSTRALIA

      Terry Pratchett's "Maskerade" will be presented
      by the Unseen Theatre Company in Adelaide,
      South Australia from April 30 to May 15 at 8 p.m.

      Adapted by Stephen Briggs and directed by Erik Strauts,
      it will be at the Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas Street in
      Adelaide. Ticket prices are: adults $15, concession $12,
      groups of 10 or more people $10. For bookings, call
      Betty on 82962004 (7am to 7pm, 7 days)
      Or BASS 131246 or www.bass.net.au

      More info at http://www.unseen.com.au

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      SCOTLAND: "MASKERADE" IN EDINBURGH

      Edinburgh University Graduate Theatre Group
      will present Terry Pratchett's MASKERADE,
      adapted for the stage by Stephen Briggs from
      25th - 29th May 2004 at 7:30pm Tues - Fri and
      7:00pm Sat at the Adam House Theatre,
      Chambers Street, Edinburgh

      Tickets £7 (£5 concessions) are available from
      the Assembly Rooms Box Office, George Street
      BOX OFFICE: 0131 220 3949

      For more information please email Fran Swanwick -
      FSwanwick@...

      3) TERRY'S SIGNING TOUR IN THE UK, AUSTRALIA AND NZ

      Terry's signing tour for "A Hat Full of Sky" will run from
      30th April through 5th May 2004, as follows:

      Friday 30th April
      1.00pm Borders, Birmingham
      6.00pm Waterstones, Stratford on Avon

      Saturday 1st May
      12.00noon Same Day Books, Windsor
      4.45pm Foyles, Charing Cross Road, London

      Tuesday 4th May
      12.30pm Methvens, Worthing
      4.45pm W.H.Smith, Brighton

      Wednesday 5th May
      12.45pm Waterstones, Winchester
      5.00pm Ottakars, Portsmouth
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      New Zealand and Australia tour: Terry says:

      "Things are still flexible, but I'll likely fly to NZ at the end
      of October, do a week there, including South Island, and then go
      to Oz for the following:

      Monday November 8: Brisbane
      Tuesday November 9: Sydney
      Wednesday November 10: Canberra
      Thursday November 11: Melbourne
      Friday November 12: Melbourne/Perth
      Saturday November 13: Perth signing AM? PM finish tour

      MORE TRANSLATIONS

      Discworld is now going to be published in Korea; Sigongsa are
      contracting to publish THE COLOUR OF MAGIC and THE LIGHT FANTASTIC.
      (Not the first time Terry has been published in Korean - a firm
      called Game published ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND, but it is now out
      of print.)

      Mondadori are contracting for an Italian edition of Good Omens.
      REPORTS FROM ALL OVER (mostly Australia, as usual)

      4) SYDMEET REPORT

      What: Sydmeet
      Where: Galaxy bookshop, Sydney
      When: Afternoon and evening of Friday 25 March
      Who: Jehane, Bobby, Lujan, Cat, Cat's brother Mango, ConMan
      Apologies: Jerm (by sms) and MysApp
      Why: Just 'cos. OK, because yours truly was in town for a short
      time and wanted to up her meet count [1].

      Galaxy 4pm. I'd cased out the joint the day before, which was
      fortunate since yellowpages.com.au was badly out of date and
      where Galaxy might once have stood was now an impressive
      office tower. Having checked a rather more up-to-date paper version,
      I had no problems finding it. I wandered in, hoping to spot someone in
      BU wizardly robes, but the other customers looked disturbingly ordinary.
      Too ordinary, in fact, for a speculative fiction bookshop...
      Nevertheless, I braved the premises, traipsing through the aisles in
      search of wizzards and vampyres.

      Finding a couple of good books and the Nexus newsletter,
      I settled down in a chair to await the arrival of fellow Sydmeeters.
      This was made easier with the clear view I had of the stairs, but
      made rather more complicated by the fact that I had no idea what
      anyone looked like.

      People came and went. Some browsed for a while and my hopes
      were raised, however most eventually moved to the front counter with t
      heir purchases. Eventually I decided a less subtle approach was needed,
      and moved to stand in front of the Pterry section, grabbing a copy of Night
      Watch and rereading my favourite parts [2]. Sure enough, this tactic paid
      dividends and it wasn't long before a voice was asking, "Are you from OZDW?"
      At my affirmative, a head popped up from another aisle commented, "I guess
      I'm in the right place for the meet then." Bobby came around to join Lujan
      and I, and the Sydmeet was officially underway.

      Cat called to say she and Mango were at Central and were we still at Galaxy?
      Again an affirmative answer and we were soon joined by the Protector of
      Newbies
      and, well, *her* Protector. We decided to move on before I bought any more
      books, and went to a cafe inconveniently located directly across the road. I
      say
      inconveniently as the road appeared to be a major bus lane and none of us
      were
      wearing helmets. We managed to cross without anyone being hit by a bus [3],
      and proceeded to inhale diesel fumes and ingest processed cacao to the
      accompaniment of continuous automobile engine.

      Discussion centered mainly on games, programming, games, and vague attempts
      to convert non-fans. [4], [5] Finally deciding to move on, we went on to
      Kinokuniya
      (a bookshop -- where else would we go?). We perused the Pop-up Book of
      Phobias and the accompanying Pop-up Book of Nightmares [6], by which time
      we had been joined by ConMan.

      The SF and fantasy section was next, and discussed good and, well, rather
      less-than-good authors. We moved on to the DVD section, and while the others
      drooled over anime, I wandered off to drool over the nearby popular science
      section.
      Then wandered back before I bought most of that section.

      A trolley marked "XS stock" contained a treasure trove of graphic novels,
      including Sandman volumes 2 to 8. We wondered if "XS stock" meant that
      the prices were cut (preferably to $0) but alas, it was not to be.
      Fortunately
      for our budgets, Kinokuniya decided to close (so early! And on a Friday
      night!
      Surely *everyone* is out buying books on a Friday night!). We managed to
      exercise considerable collective restraint and left without purchasing the
      entire
      anime and graphic novel catalogues.

      We discussed the pros and cons of secondhand bookshops, namely that books
      were cheap (good) but that only enticed us to buy more, and typically spend
      more
      than we would have on new purchases (bad). Lujan mentioned a secondhand
      bookshop that opened quite late so we headed in that direction. Alas, it too
      was
      closed. In fact it appeared to have been closed for some time judging by the
      lack
      of books, shelves and general shop fittings. Undaunted, we moved on to
      another of
      Lujan's secondhand bookshops and this one proved to still be operational.
      I somehow managed to walk out with only one purchase. Oh well, food is
      overrated.

      Lujan having decided to go home to his fiance and son, we waylaid a passerby
      take a photo. We then walked Lujan to the train station, and went in search
      of food.
      This took some time. Eventually we found a Chinese place satisfactory to
      everyone's
      tastes and budgets. Gathering our food, we trooped upstairs to the dining
      room, and
      continued conversations, mainly of books and the list. And how to best
      attack Libby.
      Bobby destroyed his reputation by failing to drink a single drop of beer, or
      in fact, any alcohol.

      Being past our bedtime, we decided to call it a meet and head home. All of
      us bar
      Bobby were on the same train line, and since his train would not be for
      another hour he
      waited on the platform with us. At last our train arrived and we said our
      goodbyes to
      Bobby, and it was a quiet ride to our respective stations.

      -- Jehane

      Vital Footnotes:

      [1] Four meets in four different cities in the past nine months.
      [2] No, not the entire novel, I mean my really *really* favourite parts.
      [3] And what are the odds of that? Probably a million to one...
      [4] Mango, although he has read Small Gods so there's hope for him yet.
      [5] Maybe we should be visiting the infidels with informative pamphlets...
      [6] Not recommended for those who actually suffer from any of the phobias
      and nightmares described (very graphically) within, which of course you
      won't know until you open the book...