WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2004 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24 9:10 PM
      March 2004 (Volume 7, Issue 3)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn
      Book Reviews: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      DW Horoscope: Anaemia Asterisk
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) AMERICAN AUDIE AWARD FINALISTS
      2) NEW SCIENCE OF DW BOOK DUE IN 2005
      3) TERRY WINS AWARD, SELLS FOREIGN RIGHTS
      4) ZOOMEETERS VISIT BABY LIBRARIAN

      ====Part 2

      5) DISCWORLD SYMPTOMS

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      6) THE SEVEN AGES OF DISCWORLD
      7) DISCWORLD NAMES
      8) LOVECRAFT AND HOLMES ON THE DW

      ====Part 3

      9) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: THIEF OF TIME
      10) AT LAST! THE NEW DISC HOROSCOPE

      1) AMERICAN AUDIE AWARD FINALISTS

      The Audio Publishers Association has announced the finalists for its 9th
      Annual Audie Awards, honoring excellence in audio publishing. A total of
      125 finalists in 27 categories made the cut. A panel of 100 judges
      culled this list of contending titles from over 500 initial entries.
      Audio titles eligible for the award were released between November 1,
      2002 and October 3, 2003.

      Winners will be announced during the Audie Awards black-tie gala, which
      will be held Friday, June 4, at the Winter Garden Room in the Harold
      Washington Public Library Center in Chicago. APA members and their
      guests, including a varied roster of authors and narrators, will be on
      hand for the festivities.

      Audiobook listeners can feel like part of the Audie process, too, by
      entering an interactive contest on the APA Web site
      (http://www.audiopub.org/ ). Beginning April 1, visitors to the site can
      listen to sound clips of the finalists and vote for their favorites in
      each category. Everyone who enters the contest will also be entered
      in a drawing for a Grand Prize of an audiobook collection.

      Here's the section of particular interest to Pratchett fans:

      Fiction, Unabridged

      * All Over Creation by Ruth Ozeki, read by Anna Fields (Blackstone
      Audiobooks)
      * The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, read by Erik
      Singer (Hyperion Audiobooks)
      * The Last Detective by Robert Crais, read by James Daniels
      (Brilliance Audio)
      * Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett, read by Stephen Briggs
      (Harper Audio)
      * The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, read by Sarita Choudhury (Random
      Audio)
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      Terry's agent Colin Smyth reports that Terry, Ian Stewart
      and Jack Cohen have signed an agreement with Ebury Press
      for a third Science of Discworld book, presently called
      Darwin's Watch. From Amazon's site, the ISBN is
      0-09-189823-4 and expected publication date is 5 May 2005,
      with 384 pages. Estimated price is GBP 17.99
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      3) TERRY WINS AWARD, SELLS FOREIGN RIGHTS

      Colin Smyth also reports that The Wee Free Men was judged
      winner of the Teen Choice WHSmith Book Award for 2004.
      For further information and to see photos of the awards ceremony
      in the Ballroom at the Dorchester Hotel in London are on this site.
      http://www.whsmithbookawards.co.uk/whsmith/awards_results.php

      To see the posters used on railway stations and the underground
      for Monstrous Regiment, see Transworld's site at:
      http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk/terrypratchett/home.htm

      Sekatchev Publishers of Moscow have contracted to publish
      Russian language editions of STRATA and THE DARK SIDE
      OF THE SUN, the first volume to be published within the next
      18 months, the next within the following year.

      Psichogios intend to publish Greek translations of Sourcery
      and Wyrd Sisters in Autumn 2004.

      Mondadori will be publishing an Italian language edition of
      A Hat Full of Sky.
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) ZOOMEETERS VISIT BABY LIBRARIAN

      Real ZooMeet

      Venue: Melbourne Zoo (well duh!) and Cafe Romantica
      (Lygon Street, Melbourne)
      Date: 13th March 2004
      Attending: Dru, SteVen, Paul (Libwolf), Mad Meg Mogg,
      Hania Ogg
      Guests: Guy and Ju, Dave the Wizard, Marty (Mr Mogg)

      This time, at Paul's urging, we had a planned ZooMeet. The
      weather was perfect, sunny and not too hot with a light breeze.
      We met at the main Zoo gates at noon and immediately broke
      into warring factions over which animals to visit first! But
      somehow we managed to stick together in something like an
      orderly party, though Hania's dulcet bellow of "TEAM
      LIBRARIAN, ASSEMBLE HERE!" rang out frequently
      during the day, and we tramped and trooped hither and thither
      around the lovely Zoo grounds, stopping about midway through
      the afternoon for a picnic near the elephants' enclosure. The
      main feature of the picnic was a Sausage Inna Bun stand. Not
      being a meat (or something vaguely like it) eater, I can only
      report that people claimed their delicacies smelt far better
      than they tasted. But that's always the way of Dibbler products
      all over the multiverse.

      Somehow it was suddenly five o'clock and we were being kicked
      out along with the other visitors, though we took our time
      about it, trying to engage the baboons in conversation until a
      patient zookeeper moved us along, and then trying to drag
      SteVen - who had begged us not to let him visit the gift shop
      because he was low on funds - out of the gift shop (surprise,
      surprise). At that point Hania and Dave had to head off to a
      family gathering, so the rest of us repaired to Cafe Romantica
      where Mr Mogg joined us. Romantica is a favourite of diners
      in the know; located on Melbourne's famous Lygon Street
      ("Little Italy") though some blocks away from the crowded end
      of the restaurant district, it serves very good Italian food at
      very reasonable prices, and does so 24/7. Since there aren't
      that many places one can get a good meal at four o'clock in
      the morning, this is a plus. It also means that Romantica is
      a great place to see, shall we say, a varied parade of quite
      interesting and unusual people at odd hours.

      To cap off the experience, and because we were enjoying the day
      too much to end it, we then proceeded up the street to the Gelo
      Bar for dessert. The Gelo bar is another hotspot for lovers of
      Italian gelati, ices and pastries - not exactly cheap, but well
      worth it.

      By now, it was nearly nine o'clock, so some people took some
      other people to train stations or homes, having had all the
      fresh air and exercise they could stand for one day!

      Since we reported at length on the Zoo residents in last month's
      issue, I'll just add a few updates and comments here:

      *Fairy Penguins say "Hook!" and "Ogg!".

      *Upon closer inspection, it turns out that Baby Librarian (who
      looks more than ever like a surprised coconut) will grow up,
      er, well qualified to attend U.U.

      * We spent rather a long time watching the Gorillas. One young
      adult Gorilla spent rather a lot of time watching *us*. We also
      listened to fascinating descriptions, given by one of the volunteer
      Zoo guides (Friends of the Zoos), of Gorilla family and social
      life - which is very like ours, only with fewer personal grooming
      products.

      *At Dave's urging, we checked out every beastie in the insects
      and reptiles sections. There were some amazingly beautiful
      (and amazingly deadly) snakes, and a fine selection of lizards.
      My personal favourite was the stick insects. What extraordinary
      creatures! They really do look like pieces of tree.

      *A young Eurasian badger was not only awake but very active,
      running about and playing with a ball. I love badgers and am
      used to seeing them at night in Europe, but this was the first time
      I've ever seen one awake in the daytime! SteVen opined that
      it had been staying up late and drinking too much coffee :-)

      *A friendly and helpful young blonde FotZ in the butterfly house
      answered many of our questions about the life cycles of butterflies,
      and showed us where they lay their eggs (on the undersides of
      of leaves -- the butterflies, that is, not the Friends of the Zoos!).

      *We got to see an elephant getting a shampoo! First, the keepers
      threw buckets of water over her. Then, they took off their shoes,
      rolled up their trousers and walked her out into the middle of
      her small lake for a proper scrub. The elephant appeared to
      be having a great time. So did the keepers!

      *One of the lions came down to visit the gawkers at close range.
      What a fine set of teeth and paws! As it was getting near feeding
      time, he was eyeing us with great interest. We couldn't convince
      him to roar, though.

      Again, the Melbourne Zoo is a great day out (hmm, I wonder
      if I can get paid for all this promotion?). A repeat of the
      information is below:

      http://www.zoo.org.au/visiting.cfm?zoo_id=1

      Open 0900-1700 normally, with special later evening
      openings during the Summer. Current admission prices
      (in AUD) are $18.00 adults, $9.00 children under 14
      (under-5s get in free, with an adult of course), $13.50
      concession, with lower family rates and special low rates
      for disabled children.

      There's a move afoot to have our next Meet at Werribee Zoo
      or Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary. Stay tuned.

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin.