WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2004 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2004 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)
      9) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: THE FIFTH ELEPHANT

      Answer the questions and put the letter indicated into
      the spot shown.   Read the letters backwards and
      discover what item vital for the Coronation of the
      Low King of the Dwarfs in Uberwald was missing.
      (Note: all spellings are from the 1999 Doubleday edition.)

      Example: Pratchett's first name -- 1st letter:
      ANSWER: Terry
      1. Low King's Ideas Taster (2nd letter of name)
      2. President of the Guild of Watchmen (last name, 1st letter)
      3. Angua's brother (first name, 2nd letter)
      4. Captain of the Bonk City Watch (last name, 1st letter)
      5. A gnome 6 inches tall but a mile high in pent-up aggression
      (last name, 1st letter)
      6. Angua's mother (first name, 5th letter)
      7. A teetotaller Lady vampire (first name, 5th letter)
      8. An old-fashioned dwarf next in line to the throne (first name, 5th letter)
      9. Vetinari's clerk and secret Assassin (first name, 2nd letter)
      10. Candle Captain of the Dwarfs (first name, 2nd letter)
      11. A traffic troll who clamped carts (last name, 1st letter)
      12. Makes things by dipping them in rubber (last name, 1st letter)

      __/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/ = Vital item needed for Coronation
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/ 11/12/

      Puzzle solution will appear next month.

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      SOLUTION TO LAST MONTH'S PUZZLE: CARPE JUGULUM
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      1. Lancre's standing army (first name, 1st letter)
      SHAWN OGG = S
      2. A soldier of the Count, known to his friends as "Bent Bill"
      (last name, 2nd letter)
      SGT. KRAPUT = R
      3. A priest of the Omnian religion (first name, 8th letter)
      MIGHTILY OATS = Y
      4. The firebird. (1st letter)
      PHOENIX = P
      5. The Count's coachman and servant (first name, 2nd letter)
      IGOR = G
      6. The Count's daughter (first name, 2nd letter)
      LACRIMOSA = A
      7. The maid at Lancre Castle (first name, 1st letter)
      MILLIE CHILLUM = M
      8. The Kelda (last name, 5th letter)
      BIG AGGIE = E
      9. Hodgesaargh 's eagle [second name, 1st letter)
      KING HENRY = H
      10. Granny of Esme (last name, 4th letter)
      ALISON WEATHERWAX = T

      S_/R_/Y_/P_/G_/A_/M_/E_/H_/T_/   = They took control of Lancre
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/ 4*/ 5*/ 6*/ 7*/ 8*/ 9*/ 10/ THE MAGPYRS

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      10) NOT YOUR LONG-AWAITED DISC HOROSCOPE
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Once again, the cosmic channels from Discworld are jammed.
      We tried to pick up the horoscope report from our sister
      Spanish edition, but for some reason our Spanish translation
      program was not working at all. Not to be put off, we found
      another translation program which produced results like this:
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      "Today: RESACA AND SLOPE OF JANUARY

      Another month more in company of the stars, this time to help you
      to I am- brellevar with grace and donosura the slope of January,
      that to cost cues- ta little, at least to me that not shot the house
      by the window in na- vidades and I take advantage of the discounts
      to renew wardrobe and accessory mystics.. Short, that the can
      goes me. We pass al side sobrenatu- ral:

      21 March-20 April what can be a door (or a waterfall, or an arbol, o. o. ..)

      The monotony of the free bar of new year's Eve (güiski, ron,
      ine- bra, fanta or cocacola, every substitute, combines as
      be able, or take it or leave it, and I go to the ruin) has caused
      you a shock to molecular level...."

      We did not think there could be a worse translator program than
      our old one, but you learn something every day. There has definitely
      been a shock to the molecular level. Worst of all, this seems
      to be the horoscope from last month, in a badly-mangled form.

      Ah well, our colleague Manu must be caught up in Uni exams,
      and -- hopefully -- will fix it all next month.