WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      KFL MEETINGS AROUND THE WORLD
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) ASTI-MEET, MIAMI, FLORIDA

      Joe's Undersea Fortress of the Elder Gods

      Nov. 14-16th, 2003

      It all started off with an email. I was going to be in
      South Florida and asked Grampa Joe if he would
      mind my popping by for the weekend to try to
      fix his PC. I'd previously tried to do this via Instant
      Message, but soon determined that a more
      "hands-on" approach was necessary.

      In any case, I showed up the afternoon of the 14th,
      met Duchess Phoebe Greenpaws and Duke Luke
      Yardwalker and then set to work. In the meantime,
      Joe made one of his famous chillis to fortify me for
      all of this hard labour. Several hours (and waggy tails)
      later a few obvious tweeks had been made to the
      machine and Grampa and I were reacquainting
      ourselves after a 20 year hiatus.

      This took the form of a tour of the library and a
      viewing of the first half of Soul Music (watched
      by Joe, Asti, Phoebe, and Luke). Unfortunately,
      I was still on UK time so I passed out rather early
      in the evening but the tour, literary discussions
      and Soul Music viewing continued the next day.

      We then carried on the Pratchett fest with my
      recounting the tales of my brushes with the
      greatness that is The Man Himself.

      Then it was off to dinner where Stone Crab claws
      were cracked, slathered in drawn butter and slurped,
      accompanied by conch fritters and hush puppies.
      To complete the meal a foray to Baskin Robbins
      had us sampling 3 of their famous 31 flavours o
      f ice cream. Then, sadly, it was time to waddle back
      to Joe's and prepare for my 6 am taxi to the airport.

      MsA aka Asti

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) MOEY AND CHANDON

      To the Editor:

      Holly C rearranged electrons to say:

      > > > Why don't we just cut straight to the classy end
      > > of
      > > > all things fizzy and call 'Fiza "Moet"? Or "Krug"?
      > >
      > > Who *is* Moey and Chandon, anyway?
      >
      > Moet and Chandon is a producer of Champagne (quite
      > yummy champagne). Two separate labels that merged, iirc.

      *sigh* *whoooosh*

      "Moey and chandon" is a line from Killer Queen...

      "She keeps moet et chandon in a pretty cabinet..."

      Of course, with Mr Mercury's slurring, it comes out as "moeyeychandon"
      or something like that...

      The line is referenced in Good Omens, where Aziraphael wonders vague who
      "Moey and Chandon" were... This is while listening to Mozart's "Killer
      Queen", and just before listening to Handel's "Fat Bottom Girls", vocals
      by F Mercury...

      This is, of course, an almost on-topic post, and was, IMO, quite clever.

      -- Lu-Pi

      7) CASTING THE DISCWORLD

      To the Editor:

      The new WOSSNAME - which appears to have been
      delivered to all subscribers *not* on Hotmail - contains
      extracts from our recent Casting The Discworld thread.
      As I've had a few further thoughts since then...

      Another possibility for Granny: Helen Mirren

      Lily Weatherwax: Nicole Kidman (who wouldn't need
      *that* much makeup these days, miaow)

      Mrs Gogol: Whoopi, of course!

      Vimes: Sam Neill or Viggo Mortensen (cos I've seen him again
      recently in G.I. Jane and he does steely sooo well)

      Carrot: Shane West

      Angua: Uma!, or Peta Wilson

      Sgt Colon: Timothy Spall (Full Monty etc)

      Detritus: Michael Dorn (Worf in ST TNG)

      Lord Vetinari: John Hurt

      Igor: Jim Carrey

      Lord Hong: Dustin Nguyen (RHG from, among other
      places, 21 Jump Street and VIP)

      I'm still no closer to getting an idea for Agnes, though :-(

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      8) THEATER NEWS
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      THIS WEEK: MASKERADE

      Are you in London this week? Do you yearn for another evening of Stephen
      Briggs' masterful adaptations? Then come along to Imperial College
      London and experience the Dramatic Society's production of 'Maskerade'.

      The show runs from Wed 3rd Dec til Sat 6th Dec in the Imperial College
      Union - all performances start at 7.30pm and tickets are merely £6
      (£4.50 for students). I could say something about cutting our own
      throats, but you'd probably object, so I won't.

      Full details, and online ticket reservations, at
      http://dramsoc.org/maskerade/ - directions to the venue at
      http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/about/location/beit.php

      --Etienne Pollard