WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2003 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      Newsletter of the Foreign Legion
      November 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 11)
      your name, country and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc, Asti Osborn
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) SECOND SPANISH DW CON HELD
      2) AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL CON NOW IN PLANNING STAGES
      3) DW PUBLISHING ACTIVITIES
      4) UK MEET IN IPSWITCH IN EARLY 2004

      ====Part 2

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      KFL MEETINGS AROUND THE WORLD
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) ASTI-MEET: MIAMI, FLORIDA

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      6) MOEY AND CHANDON
      7) CASTING THE DISCWORLD

      8) THEATER NEWS:
      THIS WEEK: MASKERADE (UK)

      ====Part 3

      9) THEATER NOTES:
      REVIEW: GUARDS! GUARDS! (AUSTRALIA)

      10) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: THE LAST CONTINENT
      11) STILL NOT YOUR LONG-AWAITED DISC HOROSCOPE

      1) SECOND SPANISH DW CON HELD

      With the KFL's Spanish-speaking branch above the 800-member
      mark, it may be time for another report on how DW fandom's
      going around here.

      This summer saw what was due to be the Second Spanish
      DW Con ever, but at the end was just a huge 30-people
      meetup, so maybe these words should go with all those
      funny meetup reports from Australia.

      Maybe we were overenthusiastic after the success of
      the ''02 con, or maybe things just couldn't get organized
      so well this time because people have other things to
      do, or... well, the point is that people had a
      nice time.

      A Cripple Mr Onion tournament was held, a couple of
      Thud! games were played, people got to know each other
      (and got to drink heavily together), and that was it.

      I couldn't attend myself, but I'm told that the speech from
      an Orang-saving foundation spokesman was canceled
      because of timing pro and the live rehearsal of a
      "Guards! Guards!" play due for next spring wasn't held
      for similar reasons. But the consensus is that it was
      quite enjoyable, although not as a proper con like last year.

      The 2004 con will be better. I'm sure of that.

      -- Manu

      (Ed: Historical Note: The first US SF national convention,
      held in New York in 1938 had only 39 attendees, the
      first British con in 1937 had only 20, and they were
      not limited to just one area such as DW.)
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL CON NOW IN PLANNING STAGES

      Plans are afoot for an Australian Discworld Convention. Check out
      the forum at http://www.addictedtodiscworld.com/auscon/index.php for
      more details (its still in planning, mind you) - or any questions can
      be emailed to azrael at addictedtodiscworld dot com.

      -- Pat Allan

      3) DW PUBLISHING ACTIVITIES

      Our Spanish section reports:

      The reprint edition of "Reaper Man" (El Segador) is being
      published this month, so now we have two-thirds of the Infamous
      Discatalogued Three DW Books back on the shelves. It's been
      reviewed and probably will read better than the original
      edition. "Witches Abroad" (Brujas de Viaje) will be out next
      year (also reviewed), so then we'll just have a 10-year-
      delayed publishing schedule, and luckily will be able to
      read "Monstrous Regiment" in Spanish in 2013. Wow! 2004 will
      also be the year of "Soul Music", which is already trans-
      lated and being proofread. And we still have the "Eric"
      gap, which what with being an illustrated novel is being
      kept in a drawer. Maybe we'll have to start complaining
      again...

      On a lighter note, "Meditations on Middle-Ear was
      published in January with the title "La Tierra Media"
      (Middle-Earth, plainly). The bit by Terry got the name
      "Clásico de Culto" and was well translated but for a
      little detail: Terry is female. You know words have sex
      around here, don't you? (Which is more than can be said
      of... just forget it.) Well, in this translation Terry
      talks about himself as a "herself". First was she-Death
      and now it's she-Terry. I sent him an e-mail, but still
      have nothing to report about his reactions.

      in short, we're getting some more DW novels per year
      than we are used to, and we fans try to get organized and
      meet periodically, but we still live in a country where
      Terry Pratchett can be portrayed as female without anyone
      in the editorial process noticing. It could be worse.

      -- Manu

      4) UK MEET IN IPSWITCH IN EARLY 2004

      Hot off the AFP site:

      "It has been brought to my attention that it has been 'far too long' since we
      had an Ipswich meet.

      "This is not a good thing.

      "Therefore, to correct the situation, a fresh new sweet young Ipswich Meet
      will be happening the weekend of January 10th 2004

      "Since this matches Rosemary's birthday, there will be Jelly and Icecream.
      There will probably also be bonfires and fireball mead and there may well be
      Real Ale at the Fat Cat or The Brewery Tap

      "This is mostly going to be a housemeet, so please email me if you'd like to
      come and don't already have the address."

      -- Carol

      PS: "Yes, this does mean I am back again :o)"

      DMWCarol *** Whips Witch *** DMWCarol
      www.broomcon.org.uk

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo