WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2003
      WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

      To the Editor:

      I just wanted to say that I too saw Subject To
      Change's version of Men At Arms. Although I do have a
      vested interest (almost everyone involved is a friend
      - or possibly fiend - of mine, and some of the others
      I know as well), I have to say that it was most
      certainly not the Entertainment Experience I most

      (BTW, the Entertainment Experience I do most regret
      was watching "The Nutty Professor II: The Klumps." And
      that cost me more than Men At Arms, not to mention
      several irrecoverable hours of my life.)

      Despite the amateur acting, overly minimal props and
      set (the lack of a whisky bottle was accidental -
      there was a prop, which Vimes forgot to take on
      stage!) I did, in fact, quite enjoy the show. Despite
      the hamminess and the muffed lines (no worse than some
      episodes of Doctor Who, an ostensibly professional TV
      show with a cult following) the story and jokes were

      In my limited experience of Terry Pratchett theatre
      adaptations (I've seen two) this was the best - or at
      least not the worst. Not a ringing endorsement, but I
      enjoyed it more than several other amateur shows put
      on by far more experienced actors, directors and

      That said, I live for the day when someone puts on a
      *really good* Terry Pratchett play!

      -- David Hopkins, Retired Ref

      To the Editor:

      > Hi. Been reading Soul Music again. Have several questions
      > but the one I'll ask first is how do Nobs and Colon know that
      > Susan is Death and call her Susan Death?

      They've been on duty in a sometimes-death-defying career (also they've
      been soldiers) so they have developed an ability to perceive things that
      are Real.

      > Second question: Is there something meaningful about the guitar
      > having 12 strings instead of the 6 that are on today's guitars?

      12 string guitars are available and have been for some time. They take
      some special playing techniques, namely, skill and practice. What's weird
      is that the guitar is also an electric guitar, and I think 12 string
      electrics are a little harder to find. The result is that it shouldn't be
      so easy to play.

      > What is the signifigance of the chalked on number 1.

      It's the Very First Musical Instrument, which produced the Very First
      Musical Note.

      > What myth did Pratchett borrow from, if any, for this guitar?

      Probably something Pythagorean. They were big on music.

      > Where could I get more information on the rituals cultures used when
      > making their instruments?

      Anthropology books.

      > Is there an answer to the 'I wonder who the first owner
      > was' question? :-))

      Yes. Consider that it was the Very First Music. There may be more
      information at <http://www.lspace.org>.

      > -- guitargoddess@...

      -- Tamar

      To the Editor:

      A certain penguin often points out to me that I'm
      atypical for my not wanting to know most of the
      behind-the-scenes stuff relating to other creative
      artists. I generally dislike listening to actors
      describing their feelings about a character they've
      played, or filmmakers telling just how many takes
      it required to get a particular fluid-looking scene to
      look fluid, or novellists describing the genesis and
      development of a beloved-by-moi book. I just want to
      revel in the finished product, like plucking ripe fruit
      from a tree.

      --- notadeadparrot@...

      I suspect Pterry also agrees, at least as a writer.
      Didn't he once say that once the final draft was sent
      off that he deleted all the old drafts, never to be
      analysed by literary researchers? I will admit that I
      like to see how special effects are done, but that's
      more about the technical aspect, while artistic
      endeavours (the acting/writing process) I prefer to
      leave unknown.

      -- jehane13@...

      Date: 26th September 2003
      Venue: The Fortress Of Avoi (as it's mistakenly named in the
          BU Dictionary...)
      Attending: Dru, Bek, Matt, Paulwolf, Lora, Mogg
      Almost attending: SteVen

      This MelMeet had a bit of a run-up earlier in the week when
      Bek rang and asked me to meet her for lunch downtown on the
      Wednesday; as I was making my way there, Bek suddenly was
      struck with inspiration and managed to rope in BU's Head of
      Technomancy, the rarely-seen Jase. Between us we turned his
      45-minute lunch break into nearly a two-hour one. As I hadn't
      seen Jase in person for over a year, we had a great time terorising
      the passersby together. The coffee at Druids should carry a
      government health warning though -  I didn't stop buzzing
      until the following morning...

      On the Friday, Bek, Matt, Lora and Paul arrived at the Fortress
      at the ungodsly hour of 11.45. Lora immediately offered to
      help with the final lunch preparations and discovered to her
      chagrin that salad-tossing would *not* be a good career choice.
      Mogg arrived a few minutes later and we got down to the
      serious business of lunch. Matt wisely suggested we set aside
      some of the Famous Spuds for SteVen. Good job we did, as
      they disappeared in a flurry of stabbing forks in record time.

      After lunch came the Viewing Of The Documents. First, in my
      capacity as WOSSNAME Anagrams Mistress, I proudly displayed
      the Anagrams Contest winners' certificate which I co-designed
      with our departing Art Director, Rhett Pennell [1]. Then I passed
      around the postcard that Dianne had sent us from her Outback
      holiday, and everyone took turns at attempting to translate
      her handwriting - I'm sure she is descended from the original
      builders of the Stargate. We discussed Pirates of the Carribean
      and how Johnny Depp's portrayal of Jack Sparrow proves he's
      the *only* actor who could bring Greebo's human incarnation
      to life. And finally, when the food had settled and Paul had
      finished ransacking the contents of SteVen's library, we got
      down to the floor show. Yes, that's right, for the first time ever,
      a MelMeet lunch featured live entertainment by a member of
      BU. And what a floor show it was! Our departing-for-her-
      gap-year temptress of the Chambers, our own Apprentice Tomb
      Raider Lora Craft, is an accomplished belly dancer and had
      come armed with diaphanous costume and a CD of traditional
      Klatchian music! And faster than you could say "the lovely
      Beti", she changed and treated us to a demonstration of the
      mysterious dances of the mystic East (or Sunbury, in Lora's
      case). It was wonderful to see, for its own sake and also because
      we usually know Lora in Real Life(TM) as a fairly demure
      and unassuming young lady. By the time she finished, Matt and
      Paul were plum-faced and cross-eyed and SteVen was rushing
      home from the office in the hope of catching part of the
      performance, or at least Lora in her cossie...unfortunately,
      being as late as usual, he only arrived in time to see everyone
      driving off down the street. But he did appreciate the spuds
      we left him!

      Although Lora no longer has internet access, she will be around
      for a while, so we are hoping to have a composite BirthdayMeet
      since several of us have birthdays in the next six weeks.

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      [1] OK, so I just wrote the text in medieval Discworldese. Rhett did
      all the beautiful drawings and designs.

      The Fortress of Avoiding the Neighbours hosted a MelMeet today,
      apparently, or so I gather from the scrubbing and tidying frenzy that
      Dru has been in for the last couple of days. I'm told that Mogg,
      Libwolf, Matt, Bek and Lora the Belly Dancing Fiend attended, but as I
      was at work I didn't actually see what happened at the Meet. Whatever
      it was, it terrified my cat, who is now having counselling for
      post-traumatic stress syndrome.

      I managed to get the afternoon off, and rang the Fortress at 2pm to tell
      them I was on my way. Mogg had to return to work at the hospital, some
      ridiculous hospital rule about not leaving patients on operating tables
      for more than a few hours at a time I suppose, so I told everyone else
      I was on the way and not to eat all the roast potatoes.

      Rushing home through the hordes of barbarian football supporters dressed
      entirely in black and white, I arrived just in time to see Libwolf,
      Matt, Bek and Lora tearing off down the street in a great rush to get
      away before I arrived back home. And they had eaten all the roast
      potatoes. Most of them anyway.

      But that's okay, because even though I missed out on the company and
      good fellowship and Lora in her semi-transparent belly dancing costume,
      I did get to morosely pick at the wilted left-over salad and think
      about all the nights I'll have to work back late to catch up on the
      jobs I left undone in order to be with the gang. So everyone had a good
      -- Steven D'Aprano

      Another wonderful new feature! Recipe contributions
      cheerfully invited.

      Dissolve 4 chicken stock cubes in 1/2 cup boiling water. Add
      in 1 tablespoon each of dried Rosemary and dried Oregano
      and leave for at least 30 minutes.

      Meanwhile, part-cook a lot of peeled, quartered potatoes. Set aside.

      Peel and crush at least 5 large cloves of garlic into the stock
      mixture. Add 1/3 cup Olive Oil.

      Toss potatoes in the mixture in a large bowl. Bake in a hot oven
      (over 200C) for 30 minutes or until crisp and starting to get
      BCBs. Serve and enjoy!

      NB: this also works with beef stock or lamb stock.

      Put 1/2 cup of oatmeal in 1 cup of water and boil for
      4 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (or lite
      soy sauce if you prefer). Boil for another minute,
      stirring with a spoon. You will get a dish that
      looks like you fished it right out of the Ankh -- murky
      brown liquid with lumps of stuff floating in it. But
      taste it -- it's delicious. Really.