WOSSNAME -- JULY 2003 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2003
      July 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 7)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      Managing Editor: Annie Mac
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) ANAGRAM CONTEST AWARDS ANNOUNCED
      2) ANKH-MADRIZ 2003 -- SECOND KEVIN CON IN SPAIN
      3) TERRY HAILED AS GENIUS BY A.S. BYATT
      4) 4) GUARDS! GUARDS! AT EDINBURGH FRINGE FESTIVAL

      ====Part 2

      5) BIG CHANGES AT THE COLLECTOR'S GUILD

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      6) DISCWORLD AUCTIONS
      7) MONSTROUS REGIMENT CHANGES?

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      KFL MEETS AROUND THE WORLD
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      8) MELMEET, AUSTRALIA
      9) BRISMEET, AUSTRALIA

      ====Part 3

      10) YOUR DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE
      11) PUZZLE: INTERESTING TIMES

      1) ANAGRAM CONTEST AWARDS ANNOUNCED

      WOSSNAME Anagram Contest: And The Winners Are...

      Well, gentlebeings, the Anagram Contest is over at last.

      This was the original framing of the contest, as written by
      WOSSNAME's paterfamilias, Joe (Discworld names snipped):

      If you've ever wanted to add an autographed Terry book
      to your collection, your day has come.

      We have on hand, thanks to Terry, and some fast
      footwork by my granddaughter Asti in London, a
      special signed copy of a DW book which will go to
      the winner of our Anagram Contest.

      Here's how the contest will work: Pick any five of the
      names below and work out a flock of anagrams for them.
      Then pick the two best ones (in your opinion) and
      submit them to me at jschaum111@...:

      Now then, not all entrants stuck to 'the rules' by sending
      *only* what they considered to be their two best anagrams
      out of five sets. In fact, almost none of the entrants did
      it that way! What we received instead was a flock of
      flocks, or in some cases several flocks of flocks. One
      entrant, in the tradition of Jackie Chan, even included
      his "outtakes" at the end of his post :-)

      This is typical Morporkian obstreperousness, but as we
      don't have any loaded scorpion pits handy, we have been
      forced, by the very high quality of said flocks, into a
      bit of a rethink, and have decided to award the first and
      second prizes according to the principles of Djelibeybian
      mathematics. Aided by the Bugarup University Regional
      Society of Anagram Readers (B.U.R.S.A.R.), we narrowed
      the field down to the entrants who had the greatest number
      of truly neato-keen entries, and then tallied the numbers
      up. And the winners are, in a close-run thing:

      Terry O'Connor, with 15 hotshots, gets First Place

      Miss Susan Sto Helit, with 8 hotshots, gets Second Place
      (narrowly pipping Arto Suokas, who had 7)

      ****

      But, as mentioned, the overall quality of entries was so
      high that a number of Special Mentions must be made:

      Best Pair of Pairs, from Miss Susan Sto Helit:

      SERGEANT COLON
      * Lost Gonne Race (as in Men at Arms)
      * So get on, Lancre (after sleeping for 15 years in Wyrd Sisters)

      LADY SYBIL RAMKIN
      *By dairyman skill (that's how Ronnie Soak delivers his milk, really,
      no supernatural involved at all, honest)
      *Kill by many raids (the Silver Horde, of course)

      (Miss Susan also deserves a Special Mention for creative
      explanations, with Irene W. Odhner a close second in this
      category)

      Best Single Pair, from Terry O'Connor:

      'SUSAN STO HELIT'
      She is not a slut.
      HIS sanest lout.

      Best Single Entry, from Katie:

      DELPHINE ANGUA VON UBERWALD
      An alpha underdog w/blue vein

      Most Appropriate Anagrams:

      SERGEANT COLON: scone range: lot!
      (Rikki Fields)

      ARCHCHANCELLOR MUSTRUM RIDCULLY: clumsy,
      chronic, ultra-dull charmer
      DETRITUS AND RUBY: but Yard intrudes!
      (Terry O'Connor)

      CARROT IRONFOUNDERSSON: for ardour, not corniness
      (Arto Suokas)

      CARROT IRONFOUNDERSSON: no dress, fur, or coronation
      (Stacie Hanes)

      LEONARD OF QUIRM: o quarrel of mind!
      (Irene W. Odhner)

      As your Anagrams Mistress, I have to say you've all made me
      proud! I only wish I had a selection of tasteful Small Gods
      pendants for each and every one of you :-)

      Over to Unca Joe for the awards ceremonies and publication
      of full list of winning entries...

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin, Anagrams Mistress
      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      Dru, you did a magnificent job on this, and from all of
      us here at WOSSNAME headquarters, a resounding
      huzzahhh!

      If all the people whose names are mentioned above
      will e-mail me or write me (Joe Schaumburger,
      18205 SW 94th Avenue, Miami, FL 33157) and
      give me your mailing addresses your awards will be
      mailed to you.

      First prize is, as previously mentioned, a signed
      copy of a Pratchett book.

      Second prize, not previously announced, is an
      imported turtle mosaic plaque, 10.5 inches in
      diameter.

      Everyone else will get a Special Mention Certificate
      designed by our staff artist, suitable for framing.

      Many thanks to all of the entrants and to the
      excellent judging by our Bugarup University Regional
      Society of Anagram Readers (B.U.R.S.A.R.),
      from our Australian Continental Section.

      -- Joe Schaumburger, editor (now known as Unca Joe,
      a name no one has called me since my nephew Henry
      was 3 years old.)
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      2) ANKH-MADRIZ 2003 -- SECOND KEVIN CON IN SPAIN

      It's been more than a year since we Spanish Pratchett fans
      happily adopted the name "kevin" and started moving things
      to know each other "officially" (i.e., doing something other
      than going to pubs and drinking suspicious stuff). Last
      summer we had a little con in Madrid with about 70 people,
      for a delightful day and a half, in which people played
      little acts from Discworld Books on stage, sang some songs
      which were loosely related to Discworld and I, particularly,
      got quite ashamed at having to make a public speech. On the
      whole, it went quite well.

      So this year we thought about repeating the experience. The
      planning has had to be done in a hurry, so we (and anyone
      who happens to be in Ankh-Madrid and wishes to come) are
      ready for anything that might be wrong, like having to move
      some acts to the Retiro Park, which doesn't sound that much
      unlikely.

      The con will be held at August 2 and 3 in the San Juan
      Evangelista student residence, where we encountered a strange
      toga party last year. I swear I'll leave my Discworld pals
      and go with the toga people if this happens again -- last
      year the curiosity was overwhelming. We'll have GURPS, THUD!
      and Cripple Mr Onion games, we'll see a rehearsal for the
      "Guards! Guards!" play that will be on stage this fall in
      Madrid, we'll have a speech from a representative of the
      Great Ape Project about apes' rights and, since "Men at
      Arms" has just hit the shelves around here, probably we'll
      see quite a lot of people disguised as AMCW men. Well, it's
      not togas, but cheap armor also has its something...

      If I survive, of course, next month you'll have a lengthy
      report on how it went, what went wrong, and how pretty is
      Retiro Park at this time of the year. Just wish us luck...

      -- MANU.
      mavide@...
      http://www.mundodisco.net/

      3) TERRY HAILED AS GENIUS BY A.S. BYATT

      "Similarly, some of Ms. Rowling's adult readers are simply
      reverting to the child they were when they read the Billy
      Bunter books, or invested Enid Blyton's pasteboard kids
      with their own childish desires and hopes. A surprising
      number of people -- including many students of literature --
      will tell you they haven't really lived in a book since
      they were children. Sadly, being taught literature often
      destroys the life of the books. But in the days before
      dumbing down and cultural studies no one reviewed Enid
      Blyton or Georgette Heyer - as they do not now review the
      great Terry Pratchett, whose wit is metaphysical, who
      creates an energetic and lively secondary world, who has a
      multifarious genius for strong parody as opposed to
      derivative manipulation of past motifs, who deals with
      death with startling originality. Who writes amazing
      sentences."

      -- From a review by A.S. Byatt of HARRY POTTER AND
      THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX by J.K. Rowling
      in The New York Times on July 7, 2003.

      For the full review, go to:
      http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/07/opinion/07BYAT.html?
      ex=1058759042&ei=1&en=20ed853494dbb080

      4) GUARDS! GUARDS! AT EDINBURGH FRINGE FESTIVAL

      Wonderland Productions have announced their third Discworld
      production at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Terry Pratchett's
      'Guards! Guards!' is being performed at C, venue 34, at 15:00,
      from 30 July - 24th August 2003.

      "We bewitched you with 'Wyrd Sisters' and marvelled you with
      'Mort' -- come and be fire-blown out of your seats by
      'Guards! Guards!', say the producers.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo