WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2003
      WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

      To the Editor:

      Quoting my submission:

      > To the Editor:
      > *sigh* Nobody copied anybody. The stereotype has been around
      > since there were students and spectacles; besides, Ponder has
      > always been plump and HP is skinny.
      > Ponder first appears in print in Moving Pictures, with the same
      > description, but the name was first used in a stage production of
      > Sourcery, substituting for Rincewind's cameo in that story.

      Argh. I meant in a stage production of_Mort_ - in _Sourcery_, Rincewind
      has considerably more than a cameo role.

      Hoping I have learned to check my facts before posting rather than after,
      I remain:

      --Tamar Lindsay

      P.S. I loved WFM. I hope we see more of Miss Tick, even if we don't get
      to see more of Tiffany.

      (In regard to our puzzle description of the Gonne as
      being made by Bjorn Hammerhock in the May issue.)

      To the Editor:

      No DWARF *made* the Gonne. It was invented and most
      likely built by Leonard of Quirm. The dwarf only mended it.

      -- Sigríðurkamillali

      Ed: Our humblest apologies. You are 100% right.

      To the Editor:

      For those of you who don't read your WOSSNAME
      (for shame!), this link was in the previous issue:

      Not all the mug illustrations are pictured but IIRC from
      the Kidby Hogswatch cards, "Family Values" is a
      portrait of Death, Susan, Albert and Death of Rats. Note also
      the Death of Rats Lifetimer in the lower left corner of the
      page -- sweet, innit! I wonder if the sand pours :-)

      Oh, and there's also a company that sells Discworld ale --

      ~ stands back from the *swoosh* of certain wizzardly drinkers
      racing to catch up with WOSSNAME ~

      -- Karen Kruzycka

      To the Editor:

      I am directing Stephen Brigg's adaptation of "MORT"
      next March.   I am trying to discover if we are the first
      time the play has been done in Canada.   Mr. Briggs
      was unable to remember, so I thought that the next best
      place to look would be with The North American
      Discworld Society.   Do you know anyone that might have
      this bit of trivia?

      Graham A. Yeates
      Director of KWLT's 2004 Amateur production of
      Terry Pratchett's "Mort", as adapted for the stage
      by Stephen Briggs.
      March 11-13 & 18-20, 2004

      (Editor: Any of our alert Canadian or US readers
      ever heard of a Mort production in Canada?)

      LoonieMeet aka Accidental Melmeet
      Date: 22 June 2003
      Venues: various places in a part of Melbourne including Big Mad
      Adrian's Play, Columbo's Restaurant, The Oggery, and A
      Nefarious Nightclub
      Present: SteVen, Dru, Bek, Matt, Hania
      Also present: SteVen's friend David, Big Mad Adrian and a
      cast of Professional Loonies

      SteVen and self decided to go to a matinee performance of Big
      Mad Adrian's latest play, 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'.
      Having heard that Bek and Matt might also attend (since they'd
      so enjoyed BMA's previous play that they went twice!) but
      not getting confirmation, we decided to Oggnap Hania, so we
      went to the Oggery, where we admired Hania's new slav^H^H^H
      boyfriend and the latest additions to her wondrous collection
      of model crones (really!) and thence to the playhouse. On the
      way, Hania regaled us with amazing tales of a Hogswatch
      party she'd been to the previous night -- some Ecksians celebrate
      Hogswatch on what they foolishly refer to as the "winter"
      solstice, i.e. 21 June -- apparently everyone came in costume
      (including two Deaths, a creditable Nobby complete with
      membership-in-human-race certificate, assorted Nannys and
      Magrats, a Sybil Ramkin complete with dragon, a Bursar
      complete with Dried Frog Pills, and even a Luggage covered
      with little feet!), and ate copiously of various dishes from Nanny
      Ogg's Cookbook; sadly, no-one thought to take pictures. Waah!
      On the way to the playhouse we regaled SteVen with too many
      verses of A Wizard's Staff to count.

      Alone at our playhouse table, we were suddenly joined by surprise
      visitor David, and then by Bek and Matt. Hurrah! Then the play
      began. Hania, who had never even met Big Mad Adrian (who
      BTW is SteVen's brother), again showed her Oggish nature -- not
      five minutes into the play, she boggled and grabbed the programme
      and frantically leafed through it and had to suppress gleeful
      giggles. "See that bloke over on stage right? " she hissed in her idea
      of a stage whisper. "The one who's playing Loonie In Red Jumper?
      He's one of my ex-boyfriends! I didn't even know he was an actor,
      hahaha..." The play was excellent (of course). We are supporting BMA
      to the hilt because he is thinking of producing a play of The Truth
      next year, starring himself as either de Worde or Vetinari, and his
      little fat Spaniel, Ralph, as Wuffles. Wouldn't that be wonderful!

      After the curtain calls, we all mingled with the cast. There was much
      laughter, and much hugging of ex-boyfriends and new acquaintances
      (definite spark between BMA and Hania, muhahaha), climaxed by Bek
      and Hania springing excitedly into the prop hospital bed to demonstrate,
      erm, Tea At Mrs Palm's. Luckily this time there *were* pictures taken
      by a cast member, and who knows but what we might even be able to get
      our hands on them and share them with you soon :-) At BMA's request,
      all of us except David joined him and some of the cast for a lively meal
      at Columbo's Italian restaurant, where among other things we discussed
      possible casting for The Truth. The hours flew away, and suddenly
      Hania realised that it was time for her to meet a previous appointment
      at A Nefarious Nightclub - so most of the party joined her! It is worth
      noting that Hania left the restaurant with BMA and they didn't show
      up at the Nefarious Nightclub for several hours...muhahahaha...

      All in all a tremendous day and night. So much so that we're
      thinking of doing it all over again next week-end. Big Mad Adrian
      truly is a very talented young actor with a promising future...and Ralph
      would make a great Wuffles.

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin