WOSSNAME -- MAY 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 12:31 PM
      WOSSNAME -- MAY 2003 -- PART 2 OF 3 (continued)
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      5) DISCWORLD BEER IS HERE!

      To the Editor:

      BursarVixen Enterprises is proud to announce three brand new,
      exciting and exclusive Discworld products, for your delight and
      delectation.

      DISCWORLD BEER:

      Our first beer in this new range is Ridcully's Revenge - a delightful
      real ale, featuring a full-colour label with artwork by Discworld artist
      Paul Kidby. Various pack sizes are available - only to over-18s,
      of course!

      'DEATH OF RATS' LIFETIMER

      This brand new product, exclusive to BVE, is a beautiful realisation
      of one of the mystical hourglasses to be found in Death's Domain.
      As this is the lifetimer of the Death of Rats, the decoration is truly
      unmistakable!

      DISCWORLD MUGS

      These high-quality mugs feature the fantastic artwork of Paul Kidby.
      Our range of designs includes 'Night Watch', 'Wyrd Sisters', '
      Rincewind Running', 'The Librarian', 'Wee Free Men' and 'Family Values'.

      All of these spiffing goodies are now available for online purchase,
      using our secure payment facility. To see more details and photographs,
      and to order, please visit:

      http://www.bursarvixen.com/

      ...where you can also subscribe to our newsletter, and find details of
      how to contact us. See you soon!

      Karen Kruzycka
      BursarVixen Enterprises

      Ed Note: Would you like to have us review the beer?
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      6) PONDER vs. POTTER DEBUNKED

      To the Editor:

      Does anyone else see the resemblance between
      Kidby's vision of Ponder and Harry Potter?

      The moment I first saw Kidby's Ponder, I had two
      thoughts:
      1) Yes, that's exactly what Ponder looks like!
      2) I wonder if the strong resemblance to that pansyarse
      wannabe-wizard Harry Potter is affectionately tongue
      in cheek or meant to be nicely vicious...

      I wondered who had copied whom. Perfect description of
      HP there. I don't understand why he's the hero when
      everyone else saves him from his own > incompetence.

      I seem to recall someone sending in a link, a few months
      ago, to a column suggesting - possibly *not* with tongue in
      cheek, alas - that Harry was a gormless pawn of the
      bloated, autocratic, nepotistic, privileged wizard class...;)

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      To the Editor:

      *sigh* Nobody copied anybody. The stereotype has been around
      since there were students and spectacles; besides, Ponder has
      always been plump and HP is skinny.

      Ponder first appears in print in Moving Pictures, with the same
      description, but the name was first used in a stage production of
      Sourcery, substituting for Rincewind's cameo in that story. He had
      the same appearance as far as I know: the archetype nerdy college
      student. Having been created, he then appeared in MP. MP predates
      even the idea for HP. The first Kirby picture of Ponder
      also predates HP by a significant length of time.

      --Tamar Lindsay

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) WFM: ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW

      To the Editor:

      I managed to acquire a copy of Wee Free Men on Thursday
      last week, and thought I was running late and missed the
      comments. Does nobody else apart from those in the Fortress
      [Ed note: that's Steven's famous Fortress of Avoiding the Neighbors]
      have it (and Kathy, as she has a quote from it in her sig), or are
      we just not talking about it yet? Or are new books something we
      only talk about on a sub-list now?

      -- Megan Ruff

      To the Editor:

      No, I'm one of the few people on the list to have bought WFM
      so far, and we haven't seen many comments yet. Speaking of
      which, below is a comment on The Wee Free Men. Those who have
      not yet read, please avert your eyes during the spoiler space.

      NOT

      AS

      BIG

      AS

      MEDIUM-SIZED

      SPOILER

      SPACE

      BUT

      BIGGER

      THAN

      WEE

      SPOILER

      SPACE

      SPOILER

      SPACE

      WFM is a fantastic book, and very obviously PTerry. However, I got the
      feeling that he was re-using many of his lines and characters. Miss Tick
      felt like a very superfluous character, there for the purpose of a) telling
      Tiffany what's happening, b) giving Tiffany the toad, and c) bringing in the
      witches at the end. Well, I feel that the toad could have introduced himself
      and given Tiffany most of the necessary information, and the witches really
      didn't need to be there - they seemed to drop in to tell Tiffany a lot of
      what she already knew, and to be the token 'established Discworld character
      appearance' since Death didn't rear his skeletal head.

      So, while I enjoyed WFM, it's not going on my list of favourites. It could
      have been, but for things like the ones I've mentioned here, that really
      shouldn't have made it past the first few drafts.

      -- ConMan

      PS:

      If you're Igor and you know it clap your hands *clap, thunk*
      Er ...
      If you're Igor and you know it pick up your hands
      If you're Igor and you know it then you really oughtn't show it
      If you're Igor and you know it re-attach your hands
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      8) STO LAT OR NOT STO LAT?

      To the Editor:

      This is part of a BBC news article about the Pope's 83rd birthday:

      "The crowd sang Happy Birthday as well as the traditional Polish
      greeting "Stolat" which means "may you live 100 years"."

      Do you think it's just a coincidence?

      -- Fiona msn: fuzbit@...
      :O)

      To the Editor:

      Nah, the Pope is Polish you know.

      [runs and hides]

      -- Steven D'Aprano

      PS:
      "Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the
      forces of evil: prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom,
      no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat
      leaden death, demon..." -- Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      9) THE AMAZING ASTI AND HER EDUCATED AUTHORS

      I went to the 6pm signing at Hammick's Books in Harrow yesterday. We
      weren't quite sure where in Harrow the store was, but figured it was
      probably along the long straight bit between the pointy end and the
      feathers.

      I skived off work at 4, leaving myself 2 hours to go 10 miles battling
      the Friday rush hour traffic leaving London. I say myself, but actually
      the pilot was my long-suffering husband Nick whilst I played navigator
      and interpreter to the AA website's cryptic instructions (why do they
      always say 2nd exit at a roundabout instead of straight ahead?).An hour
      and a half it took us, and though I was often tempted to just turn
      around and go home, I still had Grampa Joe's instructions echoing in my
      head (get an autographed book for the WOSSNAME Anagram
      Competition!) and I just couldn't let him down.

      So, we finally got on line at 5:30 and just managed to get in the door
      of the bookshop. The line snaked around the perimeter of the bookshop,
      up the stairs, and out of sight but we managed to only be about 100 or
      so people back from the head of the line (stupid traffic). I had hoped
      to be able to do a short interview (3 questions) with the man himself,
      but looking at the line, my hopes were dashed. Instead, my thoughts
      turned to picking out a DW book for the great one to sign for the
      competition. My husband, ever helpful, suggested that we have him sign
      The Making of Mistress Chloe, but I thought it might be better if we
      had him sign one of his own books. In the end, I chose [SECRET] as even I
      can make an anagram out of that one ::grin::.

      Finally, after waiting on line a further hour and a half, we now have a
      paperback copy of [SECRET], signed by the great one himself and he included
      a secret anagram message! Expect the competition to be announced in the
      next WOSSNAME. [AND HERE IT IS - SEE PAGE 1 FOR DETAILS]

      -- MsAstria [AKA as my granddaughter Asti]

      Vicereine Of Devious Knowledge - Adhoc (VODKA)
      Mistress And Regent - Totally Inane Nonuseful Information (MARTINI)