WOSSNAME -- APRIL 2003 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 4:30 PM
      April 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 4)
      continental groups.   Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address.   Are there any dues?   No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) THE WEE FREE MEN : TERRY ON TOUR
      2) THE TRUTH: THEATER REVIEW
      3) DOLLS AND IDOLS
      4) SALES OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE RIGHTS

      ====Part 2

      5) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      KFL MEETS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      6) TREEMEET (USA)
      7) CHANMEET (AU)
      8) SYDMEET (AU)

      ====Part 3

      9) NOT THE DISC HOROSCOPE
      10) PUZZLE: LORDS AND LADIES
      11) ANAGRAM CONTEST

      1) THE WEE FREE MEN: TERRY ON TOUR

      Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, reports that Ottakars
      evidently gave Transworld the wrong address for the
      Inverness signing at 12.00 noon on 24 April, and they
      passed it on to him. The correct address of the new store is
      Unit 69, Eastgate Centre, Inverness, IV 2 3PR

      U.K. SIGNINGS:

      Tuesday 13th May
      12.00 Waterstone's, 65-69 New George Street, Plymouth, Devon
      18.00 Ottakar's, 11-12 Boscawen Street, Truro, Cornwall

      Wednesday 14th May
      12.00 WHSmiths, 34-35 The Guildhall Shopping Centre, Exeter, Devon
      18.00 Ottakar's, 37a Middle Street, Yeovil, Somerset

      Thursday 15th May
      12.00 Waterstone's, 50-54 High Street, Guildford, Surrey
      18.00 Event at Guildhall Winchester for Winchester Library

      Friday 16th May
      12.00 Bookcentre, 120 Crockhamwell Road, Woodley, Reading, Berkshire
      18.00 Hammicks, 60-62 St Ann's Road, Harrow, Middlesex

      Saturday 17th May
      12.00 Borders Lakeside, Unit 3 West Thurrock Retail Park, West
      Thurrock, Essex

      AMERICAN SIGNINGS:

      Terry Pratchett will be one of the guests of honor
      at PENGUICON (May 2 - 4 '03) in Warren MI at
      Van Dyke Park Suites.

      Following Terry's attendance at Penguicon, he will be
      visiting Anderson's Bookstore, 123 West Jefferson Avenue,
      Naperville, Illinois 60542, to sign books between
      4.00-5.00pm on Monday 5 May.

      On May 6th he will be doing a reading/signing at 7.00pm
      in the Barnes & Noble Bookstore at 675 Sixth Avenue,
      New York, NY 10010

      2) THE TRUTH: THEATER REVIEW

      Danny Sag, Director of the Unseen Theatre Company,
      has forwarded a local review of their production
      of The Truth. In an e-mail interview, he reports that
      attendance "has been pretty good so far -- 3 shows down,
      and all of them have been 75-100% full. We still
      have 7 more shows to go, this week and next!

      We asked him about plans for his next Pratchett performance,
      and he said that Unseen Theatre Company's next show will be
      "Mort" in October 2003. Here's the current review:

      "Whodunnit in a wacky Pratchett world"

      THE TRUTH
      Unseen Theatre Company
      http://www.unseen.com.au

      Bakehouse Theatre, Angas St, Adelaide
      March 28 - April 12, 2003

      Reviewed by Rod Lewis
      Messenger Press, Adelaide, South Australia
      http://www.messenger.net.au/pulse

      TERRY Pratchett's Discworld novels unveil the comical
      antics of a fantasy world that rides through space on
      the back of a giant turtle.

      If you can't suspend your disbelief that far, this play
      may not be for you.

      But the popular British author is renowned for his
      biting parodies.

      Adapted by Stephen Briggs, The Truth is based on the
      25th book in the Discworld series and this time takes
      a poke at journalism.

      Sam Priestly is a solid leading man as William de
      Worde, editor of the Discworld's first newspaper, who
      finds himself investigating a murder and learning the
      difference between what people need to know and what
      they want to know.

      Playing the "Prints of Darkness", Bryan Ormond is a
      riotously funny vampire photographer afraid of his
      own flash.

      Sean Venning and Nik Hargreaves are delightfully
      quirky as two criminals in the thick of the murder
      mystery, and Pamela Munt shines as the zombie lawyer
      who hired them.

      Stephanie Lively can do with more bite as Gaspode
      the talking dog, taking a few notes off Emily
      Moncrieff's wonderful mannerisms as fellow canine
      Wuffles.

      There's more to playing a dog then just getting
      on all fours.

      Several of the enthusiastic cast reprise their
      roles from previous plays by this company including
      George Leaman as Commander Vimes, Sally Fudge as dwarf
      Cheery and Damien White as the Patrician.

      With Melanie Munt now in WA, Michelle Cioffi takes
      over the recurring role of werewolf Sergeant Angua,
      giving a darker and stronger interpretation to the
      part.

      First time director Danny Sag takes this difficult
      script in his stride, showing great promise.

      He keeps the story moving at a decent pace and
      makes excellent use of the limited acting area.

      Blackouts are kept short by an efficient backstage
      crew and a good selection of songs but, as with
      most Unseen Theatre plays, a little more imagination
      could see them reduced further.

      Costumes by regular seamstresses Sharman Gilchrist
      and Tania Prosdocimo are up to their usual high
      standard.

      Good, unearthly fun. And that's the truth.

      3) DOLLS AND IDOLS

      Following our report last month on the lady who makes
      Discworld Dolls, we got an e-mail from her:

      Hi!
      I see in Wossname that you saw my Discworld Dolls
      http://www.world.std.com/~kcl/discworlddolls.html

      They aren't for sale, I just make them for family & friends.
      They tend to sit on top of my Discworld friends' PCs.
      But I very much appreciate comments and suggestions.
      I'm now working on Nobby and Colon as they were in Jingo.
      I had to stop to learn about modeling features and hands
      onto the figures!
      -- Katherine

      And in a related e-mail, we learned of an Offler Idol
      that you can actually buy:

      Dear Joseph:

      Perusing the page of the amusing and rather disturbing DW-based dolls
      mentioned in the latest WOSSNAME, I was reminded of something I'd seen
      recently that finally gives me a chance/excuse to contribute.

      NB: If anyone's already seen and mentioned this to you, I take no
      responsibility for the annoyance factor of net.lag...

      Each week on Somethingawful.com, the site hosts Photoshop Phriday, a chance
      for cyber-wits with too much time and Photoshop talent on their hands to
      twist images of their choice to fit that week's theme. This Friday's theme
      was "Religious Toys."
      (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1367)
      Among the expected slew of Christianity- and Judaism-based gags (with a
      decent smattering of Islam and Scientology and a slight sprinkle of Buddhism
      for flavor), I found this pleasant surprise:
      http://www.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop
      /religioustoys/Spatule_crocodile.jpg

      Or, if that link's too long to work with:
      http://makeashorterlink.com/?R54631404

      It's only a short time before shrines to Bibulous are constructed, I just
      know it...

      Sincerely,
      Douglas W. Dlin

      I tried the website and there He is. The ad says He comes in the form
      of a "complete plush idol and Offler Prayer Book. If anyone gets one,
      let us know.
      -- Ed.

      4) SALES OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE RIGHTS

      Colin Smythe reports:

      THE LAST HERO - coeditions are being produced for Proszynski (Polish),
      Talpress (Czech) and L'Atalante (French).

      Proszynski is also going to be publishing a Polish edition of THE
      UNADULTERATED CAT.

      Italian: Salani are issuing Pier Francesco Paolini's translation
      of PYRAMIDS as a paperback (originally published by Sonzogno).

      Karisto will be publishing a Finnish edition of MOVING PICTURES.

      Pocket are buying French language pocket book rights in
      MEN AT ARMS and SOUL MUSIC.