WOSSNAME -- MARCH 2003 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2003
      March 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 3)
      continental groups.   Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address.   Are there any dues?   No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) THE WEE FREE MEN: A DIALOGUE
      2) DISCWORLD INSPIRED DOLLS
      3) NEW DISCWORLD COMPANION AVAILABLE
      4) SALES OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE RIGHTS

      ====Part 2

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      KFL MEETS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) DANMEET 2.1
      6) DANMEET 2.2
      7) DANMEET 2.3
      8) DISCWORLD MONTHLY

      ====Part 3

      9) YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE
      10) PUZZLE: SOUL MUSIC

      1) THE WEE FREE MEN: A DIALOGUE

      PAGES: 272 (224?) PUB DATE: MAY 2003

      US PUB - HARPERCOLLINS (ISBN 0-060-01236-6)
      PRICE: USD16.99 / VIA AMAZON.COM USD11.89

      UK PUB - TRANSWORLD (ISBN 0-385-60533-1)
      PRICE: GBP 12.99 / VIA AMAZON.CO.UK GBP 9.09

      Over heard at the Fortress of Avoiding The Neighbours:

      'What's that you've got there in that plain brown wrapper?'

      'It's a package for me. Go away.'

      'But I wanna seeee!'

      <various penguinish crashings and bangings>

      'Hey, this is a copy of The Wee Free Men! But it's not published for -'

      'Give it back! Mine! Miiine!!!'

      ************

      'Have you finished yet? Have you? Have you? I waaant...'

      'Oh, all right then. I'll be interested to see what you make of it. I
      liked it very, very much, but even though it's sub-titled "A story of
      Discworld", it doesn't seem like it takes place on *our* Discworld,
      just on *another* Discworld. Like the Trousers of Time kinda
      wossname. I think it takes place in places that are, um, places
      that intersect with the Discworld we know. Even moreso than
      TAMAHER. Because there are references, see, to places and
      things we know about, like Lancre Blue cheese, but most of the
      book takes place in a land, well, it's more of a district maybe, that
      we've never heard of before, and that isn't on any Discworld map.
      It's a land called the Chalk, and it kind of reminds me of Blackmore
      Vale, which is in the South-West of England and not exactly a
      million miles from where Pterry lives. And the protagonist is
      this amazing little girl, sort of like a very young Granny, who -'

      'Want! Wanna seeee! Gimmegimmegimmeeee!!!'

      ************

      'Hahaha! Ahahahaha! The Nac Mac Feegle are sooo funny!!!'

      'Well, yeah, but I didn't giggle as much as you're doing, because I've
      known so many Scotsmen in real life, and Pterry's gone straight to
      the source for research heheh.'

      'And the mousepipes...and the poet, the "Gonagall"...'

      'Heheh, that's taken straight from the *real* William MacGonagall.
      I've been a fan of his for decades. He was the worst poet in the
      universe. Worse than Vogons. Nothing Pterry could make up could
      possibly be worse than genuine MacGonagall poetry, but I'm
      delighted that his, erm, infamy will spread when people read the
      book. What do you think of the little girl, the heroine, Tiffany
      Aching?'

      'She's almost impossibly level-headed for someone that age.'

      'Oh, I dunno. When I was even younger, *I* thought like that.
      I think Granny would've been like that at her age. And Tiffany's own
      granny is very much in the Weatherwax mould, if a bit more,
      well, rustic and turpentine-y...'

      'And where are the rest of the elves? Why doesn't Pterry -'

      'That's what I mean by it seeming like a parallel Discworld. It's
      *a* fairyland, I think, not the one we met in Lords and Ladies.
      And the Queen is...subtly different.'

      'But the Nac Mac Feegle are the same...'

      'Well, yeah. I can see you've never met any Glaswegians.'

      'And speaking of Granny Weatherwax -'

      'Oi! Shush! We don't want to give *everything* away, now do we?'

      <sounds of a penguin being bashed with a large herring>

      'So what do you think? I liked it. I wish it'd been longer, though.'

      'Can I have it back please? I want to read it again and again and
      - ahahahahaha, those Feegles hahahaheeheeheehee...'

      <exeunt omnes, with herring>

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      2) DISCWORLD INSPIRED DOLLS

      Casually surfing the web, I recently came
      upon a DW site that was a pleasant surprise:

      http://www.world.std.com/~kcl/discworlddolls.html

      Here is a series of DW-inspired dolls including
      Death, Rincewind, Magrat, CMOT, Susan (as
      described in Soul Music), Igor, Ponder Stibbons,
      and several others.

      I have no idea of what they cost, or even if they are
      for sale, but they are well worth looking at.

      Am checking out prices, etc., and will let you know.

      -- Joe Schaumburger

      3) NEW DISCWORLD COMPANION AVAILABLE

      THE NEW DISCWORLD COMPANION
      by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Briggs

      PAGES: 280 PUB DATE: MARCH 2003

      UK PUB - GOLLANCZ (ISBN 0-575-07467-1)
      PRICE: GBP 12.99 / VIA AMAZON.CO.UK GBP 9.09

      This new version is actually the third edition of the
      DW bible, and is a revision of the "first complete
      revision" (1997) of the original work published in 1994.

      According to Briggs, they had to "move some people
      out" of the previous edition to make room for data from
      the nine novels published since then, plus two more
      books now in draft, material from six Discworld Diaries,
      Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, and two editions of The Science
      of Discworld. You might want to hold on to the
      older editions, if you have them.

      The new edition measures 6 x 9-1/4 inches, or 15x23 cm
      for those who like metric stuff. It is published in trade
      paperback format, with a mass market edition due in
      February 2004.

      This is a vital book for everyone who reads and/or collects
      Terry Pratchett's Discworld writings.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) SALES OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE RIGHTS

      Colin Smythe reports on sales of foreign language rights
      for DW novels:

      Germany: Bertelsmann/Goldmann have signed up a 3-book
      contract for NIGHT WATCH, Monstrous Regiment, and
      Discworld novel 29, as well as THE AMAZING MAURICE

      France: L'Atalante have just signed up THE LAST CONTINENT
      and CARPE JUGULUM

      Denmark: Borgen are going to publish THE COLOUR OF
      MAGIC, THE LIGHT FANTASTIC and EQUAL RITES.

      Norway: Tiden Norsk expect to publish MOVING PICTURES
      in May 2003, and are signing up REAPER MAN. They have
      already published an unillustrated edition of ERIC.

      Spain: Plaza y Janes and DeBolsillo will be publishing trade
      and pocket-book editions of MEN AT ARMS and SOUL MUSIC,
      and DeBolsillo will be publishing pocket-book editions of
      MOVING PICTURES, REAPER MAN and WITCHES ABROAD

      Brazil: Conrad, having published the first three Discworld novels
      have now contracted for SOURCERY and WYRD SISTERS.

      Croatia: Marjan Tisak are acquiring licences for THE AMAZING
      MAURICE AND HIS EDUCATED RODENTS, EQUAL RITES and
      MORT. I believe they have already published COLOUR and LIGHT
      FANTASTIC but I have not yet seen copies.

      Romania: Noesis have published COLOUR OF MAGIC and
      LIGHT FANTASTIC and are being licensed EQUAL RITES

      Estonia: Varrak are buying SMALL GODS, LORDS AND LADIES,
      MEN AT ARMS, SOUL MUSIC and THE DISCWORLD COMPANION.