WOSSNAME -- FEBRUARY 2003 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2003
      February 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 2)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) NEW TITLE: MONSTROUS REGIMENT
      2) THEATER NEWS: AUSTRALIA AND ICELAND
      3) PRE-CONVENTION T-SHIRTS
      4) RINGLORD

      ====Part 2

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      THE DISCWORLD NOVEL HAIKU CHALLENGE
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) MASKERADE
      6) CARPE JUGULUM
      7) LORDS AND LADIES
      8) SOURCERY
      9) WYRD SISTERS
      10) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS

      ====Part 3

      11) YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE
      12) PUZZLE: REAPER MAN

      1) NEW TITLE: MONSTROUS REGIMENT

      Following THE WEE FREE MEN, being published this May,
      Terry's next book will be MONSTROUS REGIMENT, coming
      in November 2003.

      Here's what Terry has to say about it:

      "It's set in a war a long way from Ankh-Morpork. All the major
      characters are new, but a number of minor-and semi-minor
      roles are taken by characters who have featured in big roles
      in other books (in the same way, say, that Vimes was not
      the lead character in THE TRUTH).

      "It contains, in the monstrous shape of Sergeant Jackrum,
      one of the most enjoyable characters I've even written.

      "And the hero is a heroine -- that is, she's Polly, daughter of a bar
      owner, who cuts her hair and steals her brother's clothes and enlists
      as a soldier...

      "I'm still on the final draft...:-)"

      -- Terry Pratchett

      2) THEATER NEWS: AUSTRALIA AND ICELAND

      AUSTRALIA

      Unseen Theatre company's upcoming production of THE TRUTH
      will be presented at the Bakehouse Theatre, 255 Angas St, in
      Adelaide, Australia, at 8 PM on March 28 and 29, and on
      April 2, 3, 4, 5, 9, and 12, 2003. Directed by Danny Sag, it
      is the Stephen Briggs adaptation, with production managed by
      Sean Venning, according to Sally Fudge, the group's Publicity
      Director. Here's their version of:

      THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FREE!

      Hot off the press, Unseen Theatre Company brings you another tale
      from Terry Pratchett's Discworld. This time, we delve into the dark,
      devious and dirty world of journalism.

      William de Worde, accidental editor of the Discworld's first
      newspaper, is a wanted man.

      His staff -- comprising two dwarfs, a lady writer, and a vampire
      photographer allergic to his own flash -- want to help William
      make "The Ankh-Morpork Times" a success.

      A competing tabloid newspaper wants to put him out of business.
      A zombie lawyer wants to sue him. The police want to arrest him.
      A talking dog wants to be his informant. Two hired killers want
      him dead.

      And on top of all this, a man wants him to publish pictures of
      his humorously shaped vegetables.

      All William wants is THE TRUTH, but it's not that easy to get...

      Bookings - Betty on 8296 2004
      (7am-7pm, 7 days)
      BASS 131 246
      (booking fee will apply)

      Tickets - Adult $14, Concession $12,
      Group (10+) $10

      Preview - March 28, all tickets $10
      (only available on 8296 2004)

      Theatre Dinner Deal - Thai Hutt Restaurant,
      214 Hutt St, Adelaide.
      Entree, main, soft drink and ticket for $30
      only available by booking on 8296 2004

      ICELAND

      A most amazing breakthrough has been achieved:
      A Discworld play is on in Iceland.  (In Europe, not the one
      in Minnesota or wherever). One of the school drama clubs
      is doing Wyrd Sisters.  Finally!  Of course, it's in Icelandic
      but it scans pretty well.  For someone like me, who
      practically knows the story by heart, it may seem a bit
      fuzzy in places but the half-believers who were with me
      loved it.  So, yay!  This is very possibly the start of a
      better climate for Pratchett in Iceland.

      --Kamilla, Reykjavík, Iceland

      3) PRE-CONVENTION T-SHIRTS

      Here's your chance to get your hands on an exclusive T-shirt,
      support the Orangutan Foundation, and show everyone how
      much you're looking forward to the Discworld Convention 2004,
      all at the same time!

      Available as of February 2003, the Pre-Convention T-Shirt
      has been specially designed by the DW Convention artist
      Rhett Ransom Pennell (also the WOSSNAME & KFL Art
      Director -- see his KFL logo at http://travel.to/klatch).

      This high-quality T-shirt features the Discworld Convention 2004
      logo on the breast, and a full-size design on the back.

      The shirt are available in three sizes (M, L, XL)
      and three colours (Black, Blue, and Green).
      Made of 100% heavyweight cotton, they cost
      GBP 10.99 (US 17.36) each, plus postage
      and packing of GBP .90 in the UK, or
      GBP 1.50 (US 2.37) ((conv @ 1.58 on 02/27/03)).

      Please do not send your orders to WOSSNAME or the
      KFL, as we cannot handle them. However, you can
      order online at http://www.dwcon.org/pre_con_shirt.php
      Your card will not be charged (nor your cheque cashed)
      until your shirts are ready for dispatch (February 2003).

      For each shirt sold, the Con will be donating GBP 1.00
      to the Orangutan Foundation.
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      4) RINGLORD

      RINGLORD, as Terry Pratchett might have written it

      Frodo looked blankly at the garden. "Sam, is there a reason
      you pulled up all the flowers?"

      "Oh yes sir, Mr. Frodo, sir. Cause a them wassits,
      the bugs gottem. Aye. Yessir."

      Frodo turned his questioning stare back to Sam, "And I'm
      sure this has nothing to do with the fact that Farmer
      Maggot has been buying them for ten-pence a dozen, either?

      "Errrr....Oh no, not a bit of it, Mr. Frodo."

      * * *

      About that time, the visiting Archprocurer of Old and
      Mostly Unwanted Documents to Stick on a Dark Shelf in
      the Library, Gandalf of the More-or-less-seen tower of
      Isenguard showed up at the Inn of the Prancing Pony.
      The rough and tumble Eastern men eyed him suspiciously.
      Which was not unusual, they eyed everyone suspiciously.
      Including themselves, when they were about a mirror. "
      Hello there, Barliman. Could you get me a pot of Ale?
      On my credit, if you please."

      "You've been running up a good tab lately, Mr. Gandalf,
      sir. You sure you're good for it?"

      "Oh, of course, Butterbur. 'Sides, the same law goes all down
      to Mordor. The night watch'd have my hide if I tried to cheat you.
      And its not like I expect some horrible fiend from beyond the
      pale of mortal ken to fight me in a gigantic duel above an
      ancient Dwarven City, leading to both our deaths, after all.

      Barliman stared at Gandalf. "Errr... that wouldn't be a Balrog
      you're a speakin' of, right?

      "Exactly sir. I cannot possibly be speaking of a Balrog since
      they don't exist. Hence I must be good for my debt. Haha."

      -- Reprinted, by permission, from The Straight Dope, which
      contains similar LOTR parodies in the style of J.K.Rowling,
      E.M. Forster, E.E. Smith, Dr. Seuss, Tom Clancy, H.P.
      Lovecraft, Ray Bradbury, Ian Fleming, John Milton, Frank
      Herbert, P.L. Travers, and many others. If you'd like to
      read them all, go to: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&
      threadid=138905
      (Courtesy of Ed Zotti.)