March 2000 WOSSNAME Part II

  • Jase
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS.

      7) CAMBRIDGE FANATICAL MEET, 15th-16th April

      Date: Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th April
      Time: Saturday: from 2 pm
      Sunday: from around 1pm
      Location: Saturday:
      2-3 pm The Castle on *St Andrew's Street*
      6-11 pm The Castle Inn on *Castle Hill*
      Location :Sunday:
      1 pm Meet in Market Square, drift on to lunch nearby
      6-11 pm The Castle Inn on *Castle Hill*

      This meet really will feature Natalie Mayer, Renegade Soubrette, as a
      star
      guest. The plan is to re-run last year's Finalsmoot, but probably with
      more
      *vom*. Be prepared - bring your *vom* cards and earmuffs. To find out
      more
      detailed information contact Ben Hutchings at
      afpmeet@...
      or check out his web page at http://www.zzumbouk.demon.co.uk/afpmeet.

      8) NYC MEET, 05 APRIL 2000. GET KNURD IN NYC!

      Terry is signing and reading in Barnes and Nobles, Astor Place on April
      5 at
      7:30. And any excuse for a meet, eh!

      Like all B&Ns there is a handy coffee shop which is;
      1) quite close to the reading/signing area
      2) a handy place to buy chocolate to identify yourself

      Of course, I'll probably use the opportunity to catch up on my Pratchett
      collection (all my books are at home in Ireland where they have been
      pillaged by my older brothers while I am in NY). So just look for the
      guy
      in the cafe with a stack of Pratchett books and chocolate :-)
      Meeting in the cafe means that we can place ourselves in complete mental
      readiness for the event through the consumption of coffee. Like all B&N
      its
      only serves Starbucks, but a couple of double espressos should make one
      suitably knurd.
      After the event reality will be restored through the consumption of beer
      at
      a local pub - The Baggot inn [1][2]
      So to summarise, Pterry is in NYC on April 5. Lets gather in the coffee
      shop
      at Barnes and Noble Astor 18:30 - 19:30. Pterry does his thing from
      19:30 -
      20:30. Afterwards we shall adjourn to the Baggot Inn. Hurrah. [3] Let me
      know if you plan to attend the meet.
      April 5 is a Wednesday night and may not be suit people travelling long
      distances. However if you are in need of somewhere to stay for the meet
      please let me know and maybe something can be arranged.

      [1] The Baggot in is at 82 W 3rd St. NY, a few blocks south of
      Washington
      Park and < 0.5 miles from the hotel.
      [2] I'm not familiar with all the pubs in the area. Despite heroic
      efforts.
      So if someone has a better suggestion, feel free to nominate it. If the
      judges agree with your suggestion (does it sell beer. We have no other
      questions) then we can go there instead.
      [3] maps.yahoo.com will pinpoint locations for B&N, 4 Astor Place and
      the
      Baggot Inn. Alternatively you can find directions/maps for all B&N
      bookshops
      at www.bn.com. The zip code to use when searching is 10003

      MICHAEL BARRY (New York)

      9) FINLAND MEET

      The fan action here is mostly T-shirts, book buying, and book signings.
      We
      are gearing up for a 2001 convention, but we still need a lot of
      organisation. It would be nice if some of our worldwide membership
      could
      gather together at the GOFAD convention later this year in England.

      Odie@... (Finland)

      LETTERS:

      10) [LETTERS] ANYONE IN PHILI?
      I'd be interested in meeting some other Discworld fans in person if
      there
      are any in my area. I live 15 minutes from downtown Philadelphia in the
      cabbage fields of South Jersey. Last time I checked I was 43 years
      old. I
      may be the oldest Discworld fan there is (always excepting Cohen the
      barbarian) but I would enjoy the occasional face to face chat about
      Lancre,
      Death, Luggage, etc. Let me know if there are any other like-minded
      people
      anywhere near me <george@...>.

      GEORGE (Philadelphia)

      11) [LETTERS] THE TRUTH, QUESTIONS ANSWERED.

      Do we have a general synopsis of the story? Is it a Rincewind, Death /
      Susan, Witches, Watch, or Totally Unrelated Persons story? I think we're
      due
      for an 'unrelated persons' story - of the last five books, we've had one
      Susan-Death (HF), one Rincewind(TLC), one Witches(CJ), and two
      Watches(J,
      and T5E)...I may have missed one in there, of course.

      SELINA CHEUNG (Australia)

      ANSWER:
      Both The Truth and Thief of Time, the book that will follow it, are
      *mostly*
      about characters who have never yet appeared in the books (well, one of
      them
      had a very minor walk-on role). Vimes and the Watch appear in TT, which
      is
      essentially about DW's first newspaper, but
      as...well...the cops. It makes it more interesting, I think. When you
      see
      Vimes from someone else's point of view, he becomes a different person.
      We
      know about him, we know how he thinks...but the other person does not.

      PTERRY

      12) [LETTERS] DISCWORLD GAME HUNTING.

      Where can I get the Discworld 2: Mortality Bytes game for PC? I would
      really like to know. Web site preferred, but other is fine.
      Thank you!

      Ed: After much hunting, the Psygnosis people responded thusly:
      "The Discworld games have not been in production for several years now -
      Meaning there are no copies being produced. Anyone looking for a copy
      of
      the game must rely on luck rather than anything else because there are
      very
      few copies 'out there' still available in the shops and as there are no
      more
      being produced they are impossible to order. Any shop that says 'we can
      order it' should be avoided as they will not be able to locate it."

      So that's about it kids. At the time of me researching this though,
      there
      was DW1 and DW Noir available for PC on http://www.ebay.com, and DWII
      for
      Playstation. Good luck.

      13) MERCHANDISE!

      **UNSEEN UNIVERSITY RANGE**
      Like all the best seats of learning, UU sells its degrees. And who
      better
      than CMOT Dibbler to act as their agent?

      UNSEEN UNIVERSITY DEGREE
      You, too, can graduate as a Bachelor of Fluencing (B.F.) the Disc's
      premier
      college of wizardry. Send for an exam paper (e-mail me your postal
      address
      with the heading UU Exam Please), complete & return it and - if you
      score
      more than 88% and if you enclose the right payment - you'll receive an
      elegant certificate, inscribed with your name and signed and stamped by
      Ridcully plus an octagonal UU alumnus pin badge crafted in antiqued
      'bronze'
      (appr 31mm diag.). The degree, including your 'exam fees', costs £6 +
      50p UK
      P&P (£1-EC, £2 RoW).

      UNSEEN UNIVERSITY DOCTORATE
      Qualify and help Orangutans! You read it in Jingo and now you, too, can
      be a
      Doctorus Adamus cum Flabello Dulce. And the good news is you don't need
      sit an exam for this one. All you have to do is pay us and tell us
      exactly
      what name you want on your certificate. You get a smart certificate and
      badge depicting, in gilt and coloured enamels, the UU shield surrounded
      by a
      laurel wreath. Summa Cum Laude: An exclusive, alternate, version of the
      doctorate badge is available only to BFs. Enclose a photocopy of your
      BF
      certificate with your order & get, with your Doctorate certificate, the
      highly desirable 'Summa Cum Laude' badge, which omits the wreath and by
      its
      subtlety demonstrates that you got your doctorate the hard way. This
      exclusive version is only available to BFs, although they can *opt* for
      the
      version with the wreath if they prefer. Each badge and certificate is
      £7.50
      + 50p UK P&P (£1-EC, £2-RoW). At least £1.50 from each degree sold goes
      the Orangutan Foundation!

      UNSEEN UNIVERSITY BADGE
      If you don't fancy the Doctortae but do fancy the badge, you can just
      order
      one of the UU badges (the version with the laurel wreath)for only £4.00
      plus
      40p UK P&P (75p-EC, £1.50-RoW).

      UNSEEN UNIVERSITY SCARF
      All-wool, 10" x 72", with longitudinal stripes in navy, crimson, yellow
      &
      purple and the UU crest embroidered in colour at one end, this elegant
      item
      outshines all other collegiate neckwear. £21.00, + £2 UK P&P (£3-EC,
      £5-RoW).

      UNSEEN UNIVERSITY T-SHIRT
      A white t-shirt, emblazoned with the UU crest in navy blue and
      surrounded by
      the legend - Unseen University - in a style copied by many other, more
      junior, seats of learning. Available only in L or XL. £11.00 plus £1 UK
      P&P
      (£2-EC, £3-RoW).

      **CITY WATCH RANGE**
      With the generous permission of Commander Vimes and Captain Carrot of
      the
      Ankh-Morpork City Watch, we at CMOT Enterprises are proud to bring you:

      CITY WATCH T-SHIRT
      The new Watch badge, drawn by Paul Kidby and printed in blue on a black
      t-shirt, L or XL only. On the back, the City Watch motto in blue -
      FABRICATI
      DIEM PVNC. £11.00 plus £1 UK P&P (£2-EC, £3-RoW).

      CITY WATCH BADGE
      Crafted in antique finished metal, sculpted in full relief, this lapel
      badge
      (approx 35mm across) is an accurate replica of the brand new version of
      the
      City Watch badge, commissioned by Lord Vetinari and featured in the
      Discworld Diary 1999. £4.50 plus 40p UK P&P (75p-EC, £1.50-RoW).

      **OUR BADGE RANGE**
      As well as the City Watch badge, we have a range of top quality badges
      for
      the discerning customer:

      THE 'MORT' PENDANT
      Modelled in antiqued 'silver' (appr. 25mm diag.), this is based on
      Mort's
      coat of arms (crossed scythes and an hourglass, with the motto: NON
      TIMETIS
      MESSOR). It comes with a hanging loop, but you supply your own
      chain/cord/whatever. £6.00 plus 40p UK P&P (75p-EC, £1.50-RoW).

      THE ANKH-MORPORK BADGE
      Crafted in gilt metal by skilled dwarf craftsmen, the badge (appr. 14mm
      14mm) features a relief design of the Morpork owl holding an ankh.
      Fastening
      is with a butterfly pin, so this can be used as a lapel pin, tie pin or
      just
      studded onto a leather jacket. £2.75, plus P&P as for the pendant.

      THE LUGGAGE BADGE
      Again, tie-pin-sized, this badge is of the Disc's most unstoppable
      travel
      accessory, crafted in gilt metal, with the trunk picked out in
      hard-baked
      yellow and brown enamel. £3.50, plus P&P as for the pendant.

      THE 'OOK!' BADGE
      On a cast metal lapel badge shaped like a speech 'bubble' (appr 30mm
      across), the simple word - 'Ook!' on a white enamel background. It's the
      answer to every question and it's a must for all librarians and/or fans
      of
      UU's most intelligent wizard. £4.00 plus P&P as for the pendant.

      'I STILL ATE'NT DEAD' BADGE
      A cast metal lapel badge based on Granny Weatherwax's 'borrowing' card -
      make sure your friends don't bury you too soon. The badge is in a
      battered
      oblong (appr. 40mm diag.), with the text on a white enamel background.
      £4.25
      plus P&P as for the pendant.

      ASSASSINS' PREFECT BADGE
      Modelled in gilt metal with a full colour design in hard-baked enamels
      of
      the Assassins' Guild shield with the legend beneath: 'PREFECT'. This is
      an
      accurate replica of the badge (appr. 30mm high) worn by Prefects at the
      exclusive Guild of Assassins in Ankh-Morpork and featured in the
      upcoming
      Discworld Diary 2000. £4.00 plus P&P as for the pendant.

      BLOOD DONOR BADGE
      Modelled in gilt metal with a design in red and black enamel, this is
      the
      badge commissioned for the Count de Magpyr from a suggestion by Agnes
      Nitt
      in Carpe Jugulum. Getting one from us is a lot less of a pain in the
      neck.
      On a red circle is superimposed a black bat. Around it are the words:
      ÜBERWALD BLOOD DONORS CLUB. The badge is about 27mm across. £3.50 plus
      P&P
      as for the pendant.

      SAVE - Buy any two badges together and UK P&P is only 50p for the two.
      (90p-EC, £1.75-RoW). Buy any four badges and the UK P&P is only 85p
      (£1.50-EC, £3-RoW).

      **THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD**
      ... and much cheaper, too!

      DISCWORLD 'Signed' PEN
      A *very* smart Parker Rialto metal ballpen, in matt black finish with
      gilt
      trim. Laser engraved with Terry Pratchett's signature. All in a smart
      presentation box. The ideal gift for anyone who wants a signed pen to go
      with their signed books. This is a short run of 50, at £25.00 each, plus
      £1
      UK P&P (£2-EC, £3-RoW).

      DISCWORLD 'Signed' PEN - Economy Version
      A Parker Vector ballpen, black with steel trim. Printed with Terry
      Pratchett's signature. This is still a nice pen for everyday use, at
      £7.50
      each inc. box, plus £1 UK P&P (£2-EC, £3-RoW).

      **NEW STUFF IN PROGRESS**
      Never happy to rest on our laurels, there are plans in hand for a new
      Uberwald League of Temperance badge (to tie in with 'The Fifth Elephant'
      and
      the forthcoming 'The Truth') and for an Ankh-Morpork Times key-ring (to
      tie
      in with 'The Truth'). We're also trying to obtain, via L-space, some
      tea-towels from the Mended Drum and some aprons from Harga's House of
      Ribs.
      Longer term, there's a snazzy embroidered badge in early planning to tie
      in
      with next year's 'The Last Hero'!

      HOW TO ORDER -
      Just send your order to me with a sterling bank draft payable to 'S P
      Briggs' for the full amount, *including post & packing*. Please post
      orders
      to Stephen Briggs, PO Box 147, Oxford, OX2 8YT.

      **PLEASE NOTE - THESE ARE IMPORTANT**
      Cheques just payable to 'S P Briggs'. _Not_ 'CMOT Briggs'; not 'CMOT
      Dibbler' - you wouldn't believe how little sense of humour my bank has
      about
      humorously inscribed cheques.

      These addenda are from Joe :

      A FEW LITTLE PROBLEMS WITH SOLUTIONS
      1. We have had problems in the past with the UUdiploma - it has, in some
      cases, taken a few months to get it and then in only in response to
      heavy
      prodding by our GOFAD affiliates in the UK.
      2. If you can order directly, via credit card, do it. It is very
      difficult
      and expensive to get checks in English pounds from most banks. We are
      working
      on a way around this[Using the WOSSNAME Swiss bank account? - Jase]
      Write
      Joe Schaumburger at jschaum111@... if you're interested.
      3. If you're a GOFAD member, send payment to "Joseph Schaumburger above
      (convert pounds at 1.7) and don't forget RoW postage (Rest of World).
      Our
      affiliates at GOFAD will then process it for you.

      14) KLATCHIAN FOREIGN LEGION RESOURCES

      Each month (well, usually), as well as WOSSNAME going out by e-mail,
      the plain text of the newsletter is embellished with fantastic
      graphics and put up on the Society Web site,

      http://welcome.to/wossname

      As well as the full text of WOSSNAME going out by e-mail, there is
      also sent out a much shorter e-mail announcing that the new version
      of WOSSNAME is available on the Web. So, if you'd prefer to receive
      this shorter notification, rather than the whole text of WOSSNAME,
      just let us know!

      The announcement list will also be used by other groups in the
      Klatchian Foreign Legion, such as by the Bugarup University Students'
      Guild for announcing BUNS (see above), so you may want to join that
      list anyway, even if you still want to receive the whole text of
      WOSSNAME by e-mail. To subscribe to the announcement list, just go

      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/kfl-announce

      or send an empty e-mail to

      kfl-announce-subscribe@onelist.com

      Also on the subject of the Legion, the Klatchian Foreign Legion
      Webring has recently started. A Webring, in case you don't know, is
      a group of Web sites that share a common interest or theme, and have
      links to one another such that by following the link, you travel all
      the way "around the ring", visiting each site in turn. In the case
      of the Legion's Webring, the sites are those of groups like the North
      American Discworld Society, the Guild of Fans and Disciples and the
      Bugarup University Students' Guild, as well as any other Web site
      with an emphasis on regional Pratchett fandom, at anything from the
      local level up to the continental level. To visit the Webring, or to
      add your site to it, just visit

      http://travel.to/klatch

      WOSSNAME is available in all its glory on the World-Wide Web at:

      http://welcome.to/wossname

      with a more basic text-only version at:

      http://www.onelist.com/messages/WOSSNAME

      By Offler, we actually got it finished!
      Copyright 2000 by North American Discworld Society