WOSSNAME -- JANUARY 2003 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2003
      January 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 1)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
      Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) KFL SPANISH-SPEAKING SECTION ANNUAL REPORT
      -- MEMBERSHIP JUMPS 43% !!!
      2) ADVANCE JACKET COPY: THE WEE FREE MEN
      3) GURPS REVIEW - DESTROYING THE OPERA HOUSE
      4) THE END OF DISCWORLD

      ====Part 2

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      DISCWORLD POETS STRIKE AGAIN!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) LIMERICKS THAT HAVE ROCKS IN THEM
      6) RED HOT HAIKUS RIGHT OFF THE PRESS
      7) SOME DWARVEN HAIKUS
      8) LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
      9) KFL MEET REPORTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

      ====Part 3

      9) KFL MEET REPORTS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
      continued
      10) PUZZLE: REAPER MAN
      11) YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE

      1) KFL SPANISH-SPEAKING SECTION ANNUAL REPORT
      -- MEMBERSHIP JUMPS 43% !!!

      Hurray! First pint of scumble is on the house! And if you are
      still upright, this is just to let you all know that the KFL's
      Spanish-Speaking section has broadly passed the 500-member mark.
      (Up from 350 members last year -- a 43% increase!)

      And that's not all -- our South American membership is increasing
      very fast (we can tell because of all the e-mails we're getting
      about the bloody scarce distribution they're getting of the
      translated novels down there...)

      "Mort, the Play" has just been published with some extra icono-
      graphies from the first Discworld play on stage in Barcelona;
      "Men at Arms" (the novel) is being translated into Spanish, so
      we won't have to wait much longer, and "Soul Music" is on the
      cue. And The Lost Novels ("Reaper Man," "Moving Pictures" and
      "Witches Abroad"), out of print for more than five years, are
      going to hit the stores soon, or so we've been told.

      Oh, and reports from our troops state that Mr. Pratchett is sell-
      ing quite well around here. It might mean that Spanish publish-
      ing companies will think about speeding up the publishing of the
      series or, since we're talking about Spanish editions, it might
      well mean nothing. But we're optimistic.

      Giving moral to the troops,
      and yours always,
      MANU VICIANO
      (Head -or something- of the
      LegiĆ³n Extranjera Klatchiana)

      2) ADVANCE JACKET COPY - THE WEE FREE MEN

      Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, has given us an advance
      peek at the blurb from the advance jacket of the Doubleday
      edition of the book (which has a superb Paul Kidby cover):

      There's trouble on the Aching farm -- a monster in the river,
      a headless horseman in the driveway and nightmares
      spreading down from the hills. And now Tiffany Aching's
      little brother has been stolen by the Queen of the Fairies
      (although Tiffany doesn't think this is entirely a bad thing).

      Tiffany's got to get him back. To help her, she has a weapon
      (a frying pan), her granny's magic book (well, 'Diseases of the
      Sheep', actually) and ---

      'Crivens! Whut aboot us, ye daftie!'

      --- Oh yes. She's also got the Nac Mac Feegles, the Wee Free Men,
      the fightin', thievin', tiny blue-skinned pictsies who were thrown out
      of Fairyland for being Drunk and Disorderly...

      A wise, witty and wonderfully inventive adventure set in the Discworld.

      Publication date: May 1, 2003. 224 pages. ISBN: 0060012366
      US: List USD 16.99 Amazon: USD 11.89
      UK: List: GBP 12.99 Amazon.co.uk: 9.09

      3) DESTROYING ANKH-MORPORK'S OPERA HOUSE
      A GURPS Discworld Role-playing Session Review

      I guess you all know about Discworld's Role-playing Game or, to be
      more exact, about the two campaign books written by Terry Pratchett
      and Phil Masters for GURPS (Generic Universal Role-playing System).
      During these last Hogswatch holidays I had the chance to play a
      good session.

      My friend Pablo Jaime is quite a good GURPS loony (though I know
      of quite a lot of people who don't like the game system), and also
      quite a good Discworld loony, so he made his mind to be the game-
      master. I, of course, threatened and blackmailed him until he
      agreed to let me fill a character sheet. Since the adventure was
      to be set in Ankh-Morpork, I thought I would be a thief, but since
      I wanted some extra emotion in my character's life, I decided to
      be out of the Guild. The rest of the characters were a muscled and
      brainless Barbarian Hero Wannabe, an Assassin who was counseling
      the City Watch in certain specialized affairs (he was a post-
      graduate student in an interchange course) and an Alchemist who
      happened to be a zombie, which gave him a certain advantage when
      it came to survive the typical deflagration.

      The story began when the owners of the house I was 'visiting' died
      awful death in hand of an invisible being. While I, the only wit-
      ness, was fleeing desperately from the crime-scene, the Barbarian
      Hero had heard the blood-freezing female screams and, thinking I
      was the murderer, started to run after me with his two-handed sword
      unsheathed. I sought refuge in my nice and warm cell in Pseudopolis
      Yard and that saved my life. Next morning we were told that the
      Watch was very busy getting ready for a big celebration that was
      to be very soon and that we were the ones designed to find out
      about this crime on pain, in my case, to be given away to the
      Thieves' Guild. Plot was on the table.

      I won't tell all the game's details because I don't want Joe to
      have to send a fourth part for this newsletter, but the climax was
      reached with the zombie throwing loads of rotten food, nearly de-
      molishing Ankh-Morpork's Opera House and with my character leaving
      behind his life as a thief and becoming a City Watch Sergeant in
      charge of the new forensic division, Discworld's CSI. And the
      moral is, basically, that when played without too many cares GURPS
      DW can provide a really nice time. The gamemaster can throw humo-
      rous plots, funny characters and gags at you, but the game runs a
      lot smoother if nobody worries too much about the laughs and the
      Discworld books are not taken as some kind of dogma. That's
      literature, this is role-playing. The laughs end up happening by
      themselves (OK, maybe with some external help): for example, the
      Barbarian Hero spent all the adventure thinking that I was the
      murderer, so I thought of "conditioning" him by talking to him in
      his sleep, which had to work because of narrative causality. And
      at the end he was believing that I was also a Barbarian Hero, only
      one of another kind. So it did work. And the game is far more
      exciting if you don't know about the future. Corporal Littlebottom
      died at the very beginning, and the stage was set just after
      "Jingo," so the game was really set in a kind of "alternate
      Discworld." We didn't meet Commander Vimes, either...

      In short: it was a great experience I look forward to continue.
      After all, the Thieves' Guild had been after my character for a
      very long time. It's time to see how things go the other way
      round.

      -- Manu Viciano

      4) THE END OF DISCWORLD

      An alarming interview with Terry appeared in The Guardian
      on January 11, 2003. In it, Sally Weale, the interviewer,
      asked him, "Will Discworld ever end?"

      "Yes," said Terry, "it's got to. Eventually it
      will be too restrictive.

      "It has changed a lot. It has gone from being
      a jolly, lightweight read, to some reasonably
      heavy stuff where the humour is derived from the
      character and situation rather than gags. Because
      it can change, I can keep it reasonably fresh and
      because it is a world, I'm not stuck to one
      character or a group of characters, but there's
      a limit to that."

      In any case, it is starting to take its toll.

      "I've concentrated over the years on writing
      books, not particularly in publicising them,
      or being an author, which may have been to
      my detriment.

      "It takes more out of me each time. I'm going
      to have to slow down and decide what the hell
      I'm going to do."