WOSSNAME -- DECEMBER 2002 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      December 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 12)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) EDITORIAL MUSINGS
      2) NOT REALLY A MEET REPORT,
      BUT IT HAS BEEN A SLOW MONTH
      3) ANOTHER REVIEW OF NIGHT WATCH
      4) HOW I DISCOVERED DISCWORLD

      ====Part 2

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      DISCWORLD POETS STRIKE AGAIN!
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      5) 'TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE HOGSWATCH
      6) LIMERICKS THAT HAVE ROCKS IN THEM
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      KFL LETTERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      7) NEWBIE SEEKS ADVICE
      8) WHOSE SAFE DO YOU HAVE?

      ====Part 3

      9) YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE
      10) PUZZLE: MOVING PICTURES

      1) EDITORIAL MUSINGS

      Well, I've just emerged from the madness of the holiday
      season, where I was decorating trees, decorating walls,
      decorating front doors (OK, so it was just a cardboard
      picture of a Christmas tree -- but it's the spirit that counts),
      and of course setting up the meal -- the traditional
      vegetarian lasagna.

      I had some vague hopes of getting out WOSSNAME by the
      end of the month, but it was not to be. But, hey, we have
      all of January....

      Those who heeded my call to write e-mails describing your holiday
      activities, meets, chats, TV shows, movies, whatever -- even
      poetry, limericks, and articles on how you discovered Discworld
      will be delighted or maybe horrified to find them all here.

      Best belated wishes to all for a Hilarious Hogswatch,
      Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Kool Kwanza, or
      whatever festivities you celebrated -- and may all the gods
      of Discworld beam benevolently on your activities and keep
      the droppings of their flying beasts (if any) off your rooftop,
      unless you want to have some, of course.

      Joe, in a joyous post-Holiday Mood !!!

      2) NOT REALLY A MEET REPORT,
      BUT IT HAS BEEN A SLOW MONTH

      "I'LL BE HOME FOR HOGSWATCH"

      The silence.

      The lonely, echoing halls of Bugarup University, lately reverberating with
      drunken belches, chocolate-flavoured lip-smacking, the clatter of dropped
      staffs, the thuds of dropping faculty, the screams of newbies, the whoosh of
      firehoses, the sizzle of fireballs, the hum and kerranggggg of exploding
      robots, the cultured tones of healthy, scholastically-sober, I'll-kill-you-
      if-you-don't-concede-my-pedantic-point debates...

      Yes, it's Hogswatch season again.

      The Ecksian carolers are nearly out of voice, it being the 24th of December
      on our side of the dateline, and thinking of trudging home to sip their
      scumble and eat their toasted figgins and settle down to await the crunch
      of trotters on the rooftops [1]. In far Merkia, Joe has locked up the
      Underwater Campus in preparation for some unspeakable revelries sure
      to include tentacles, Laurel is decking her halls with holly, Holly is
      decking *her* halls with firehoses and - having migrated to sunnier climes
      at last - privately decking herself with the kind of Sunny California
      clothing that, were the males of BU to see it, would necessitate her taking
      the firehoses back off the walls, and the Cap'n is wondering why all his
      stuff is locked in his room and a note is on his door reading, "Hahaha, all
      you newbies, you can't have your robes back until the FoT reopens next
      year, signed Libwolf". [2]

      All the Ecksians are hanging up their kangaroos [3] above their imitation
      fireplaces and wondering what snow is. All the Brits are putting on
      several pairs of stockings and wondering what the Spring floods will be
      like. An Irish werevampenguiness is pining for the fjords, erm, the
      rolling cold damp burning-peat-reeking hills of home.

      Darn it to heck, it's quiet here!

      -- Drusilla D'Afanguin

      [1] They'll have a long wait. According to Pterry, Hogswatch falls on
      SteVen's birthd^H^H^H New Year's Eve.

      [2] Obviously a forgery, for the obvious reason...

      [3] Much 'greener' than stockings. In the interests of not being visited by
      the RSPCA, the use of bungees is preferred to nailing the little buggers
      to the mantelpiece.

      [4] Who really, really hopes a certain werevampenguin will bring her an
      Unreal Scrabble set this year. Or even a new real one.

      3) ANOTHER REVIEW OF NIGHT WATCH

      I liked Night Watch.

      I though there were shades of the 'Terminator' films in it, and I loved the
      two versions of the painting on the cover.

      The 'one man can make a difference' theme was quite well drawn out, but I
      did find some of the characters were too black and white -- or rather, red.
      Maybe I prefer to have my hair trying to stand on end in terror than my last
      meal trying to leave in disgust.

      I thought the 'lost and returned hip flask revealing the inner man under the
      two sets of armour' rather sweet -- and the implication that Vimes can now
      drink moderately is, I hope, an indication of a future for the character.
      He is one of the most developed and explained characters on the Discworld.

      I think my favourite TP ever is Reaper Man - with Interesting Times close
      second, but I never met a Discworld book I didn't like.

      -- Anne Pearson, Dorset, England
      anne@...

      4) HOW I DISCOVERED DISCWORLD

      I just thought I would relate how I found Terry Pratchett.
      I was roving the house one day searching for something
      new to read. On the bottom shelf of the bookcase in the
      hallway, which has only ever had ancient encyclopedias,
      I found, tucked up on top of one of the encyclopedias, three
      books: Eric, Small Gods and Soul Music.

      I read Eric first and was not impressed (I have since
      gone back and reread it and found it to be better then I
      remembered). Next I read Small Gods. Studying the
      crazy things people do in the name of religion -- a hobby
      of mine -- I fell madly in love with that book and have read
      it more times then I can count. When I read Soul Music,
      I fell in love with Death. Death and Sam Vimes are without
      question my two favorite characters with Death only slightly
      in the lead.

      After I finished reading these three books I asked everyone
      in my family who bought them so I could compare notes and
      discuss the books with someone else who had read them.
      I asked everyone and no one admits to buying them so all
      I can think is that they traveled to my bookshelf through L-space.

      I have tried to find other fans who live in Indiana and there must
      be some because all the book stores sell Discworld books and
      I don't buy them all. So far, however, my search has been in vain.

      "Dock-a-loodle-fod!" -- dyslexic roosters are a sad sight

      -- Elizabeth Blazier
      elizabeth_blazier@...