March 2000 WOSSNAME Part I

  • Jase
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      March 2000 (Volume 3 Issue 3)
      Yes we know it's April. This is due in part to disorganisation, but also
      to the fact that Onelist was down over the weekend. We now return you
      to your irregularly scheduled Wossname...

      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the Klatchian Foreign
      Legion
      and also its affiliates, including the North American Discworld Society
      and
      other continental groups.
      Are you a member? Yes, if you sent in your e-mail address.
      Are there any dues? No. Dues are only required if you want to join the
      Guild of Fans and Disciples and receive the discounts on books and other
      items available through their bulk purchases.

      NEWS:
      1) Hello from the editors!
      2) Sending in Material
      3) Wyrd Sisters on DVD
      4) XXXX Tour?
      5) MillenniCon Hand & Shrimp Cancellation
      6) Bad Omens for Good Omens

      DEPARTMENTS:
      7) [Meetings] Cambridge Fanatical Meet
      8) [Meetings] NYC Meet, Get Knurd in NYC!
      9) [Meetings] Finland Meet
      10) [Letters] Anyone in Phili?
      11) [Letters] The Truth, Questions answered.
      12) [Letters] Discworld Game Hunting

      BUSINESS:
      13) Merchandise
      14) Klatchian Foreign Legion Resources

      Editor in Chief : Jason Parlevliet
      Managing Editor : Nathan Clissold
      Copy Chief : Dylan Williams
      Senior Staff Writer : Andy Stout
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director : Becky Swaney
      Copyright 2000 by North American Discworld Society

      1) HELLO FROM THE EDITORS!

      Editor in Chief : Jason Parlevliet

      Ladies and Gentlemen of Wossname. For the last year or so, Andrew
      Millard has stood at the helm of this fine publication. He has nurtured
      it, fed it, steered it, disciplined it when necessary, as it grew into
      the fine example of newsletterhood we now know. It proved time for
      Andrew to move on, as Wossname grew too big a task for one human being.
      The incoming team would like to thank Andrew for all his hard work, and
      wish him well with his future adventures.

      So a quick introduction. The new editing team consists of three
      Australian Pterrorists : There is me, Jason Parlevliet Editor-in-Chief;
      Dylan Williams, Copy Chief; and Nathan Clissold, Managing Editor. We
      have no idea what these titles mean.

      We are all high ranking members of the Bugarup University Faculty, aka
      the Australian Discworld Fan Club Mailing List, a wildly off topic and
      sociable group. I first read Colour of Magic in 1991, while I was at
      University. It was a life changing experience, one which has led me
      through a plethora of markets, dingy second hand shops, libraries,
      friends' bookshelves and in occasional periods of full time employment
      and wealth, actual bookshops. A stint in the Discworld MUD earned me
      permanent black rings around my eyes and an Apex Club membership, and I
      can still be found there very occasionally hiding under the persona of
      Wintermute the Wizard, man who can't find quests.

      Credentials out of the way, I would like to say a big fat hairy hello to
      all the Wossname readers. I'm sure this first issue will be a complete
      shambles, confusing and difficult to read, with pointless articles, out
      of date news and misleading information. We'll get the hang of it. As
      we like to say in XXXX - Nullus Anxietas.

      Jase

      Copy Chief : Dylan Williams

      Boing! (Is that better than the standard Hello?)

      My names Dylan, although most people just call me the Bursar. Like Jase
      and
      Nathan I'm one of the Faculty of Bugarup Uni here in XXXX. I’ll be
      buzzing
      around here as the copy editor, whatever that’s supposed to be.
      Basically I
      just tidy things up and die in cricket matches. If anything completely
      and
      utterly confusing and in no way makes any sense ends up in the
      newsletter,
      it’s a safe bet that I did it.
      I'm a terminal lurker, in the sense that I don’t say much, but I'm
      always
      here. If I disappear for a while, or you don’t see any comments from
      me,
      don’t send out a search party. Although sending out for pizza and some
      beer
      could be a good step in getting me to pay attention.

      I think that’s about it for an introduction. Thankyou and I hope we
      passed
      the audition.

      Live long and Banana, and may the fridge be with you!

      Dylan.

      Managing Editor : Nathan Clissold

      Well how can one go past Dylan and Jase's intro's? Well I'll try.

      Hi, my name's Nathan and the students at Bugarup University call me The
      Dean. I'm the managing editor which I guess means after Wossname comes
      to me
      from the Bursar I give it the twice over then send it on to Jase to give
      it
      to you. I could of course be dead wrong but I hope not.
      I'm also the editor for the BUNS (Bugarup University Newsletter for
      Students) which I guess is the lovechild of Wossname and Discworld
      Monthly.
      By the Gods isn't that a scary thought, but don't hold all that against
      me,
      I'm a nice guy really

      Well it's not much of an intro but it'll do for the time being until you
      get to
      know us better. We hope you enjoy this edition of Wossname.

      Nathan

      2) SENDING IN MATERIAL
      Despite any previous announcements, please send all correspondence and
      other
      material for WOSSNAME to:
      Jason Parlevliet, editor-in-chief - jase@...

      with a copy to:

      Joe Schaumburger - JSCHAUM111@....

      This will probably change once we work out what we're doing.

      NEWS:

      3) WYRD SISTERS ON DVD.

      Acorn Media (http://www.acornmedia.com/) will soon be releasing the
      successful cartoon version of Pterry’s Wyrd Sisters on DVD, said to
      contain
      DVD only extras such as production storyboards and an extra Discworld
      intro.
      Although it won’t be available until the 28th of March they are taking
      pre-orders from their online catalogue, America and Canada only, at a
      price
      of US$39.95. Also available is the Wyrd Sisters boxed set on video.

      4) XXXX TOUR?

      After many rumours it seems Terry may be again donning the cork rimmed
      hat
      and running back down under. Straight from the horse *cough* authors
      mouth!

      "Tell them the next tour is probably going to be June or July next year,
      btw. I would have preferred January, but things don't fall right."

      5) MILLENNICON HAND & SHRIMP CANCELLATION.

      This sad news arrived from the organisers.

      Dear Member,

      Conventions are funded not only through the sale of memberships, but by
      those members joining in the spirit of the event and staying at the
      Convention hotel. An agreement is then made, estimating a percentage of
      members requiring rooms and offsetting this against charges for the
      conference facilities.

      Unfortunately this hasn't been the case with the third Discworld
      Convention,
      MillenniCon Hand and Shrimp, where the take-up on rooms has been far
      lower
      than our worst expectations. In 1998, the ratio of members staying was
      in
      excess of 90%, but now with take-up figures of little more than 15% of
      the
      total membership, the likelihood of us reaching a break-even point by
      the
      Convention are low and with the penalties the hotel would charge, make
      this
      event totally uneconomical. The 1998 Convention, while very successful
      from
      the point of view of the attendees, nevertheless had financial problems
      which had to be informally resolved after the event. The committee of
      the
      2000 Convention do not want to find themselves in a similar situation,
      and
      feel that they should not proceed with MillenniCon knowing that it would
      be
      reliant on 'informal' assistance, however willingly that may be offered.

      It is therefore, with great regret that we inform you of the
      cancellation of
      the Convention due to this insurmountable problem. It is our intention
      offer all members a full refund and this will follow shortly, but in the
      meantime we wanted to inform you of this sad news as soon as possible.
      Please accept our sincerest apologies: we really hoped that we could
      make
      this an event to remember, but there comes a point when however hard one
      tries, the numbers simply do not add up.

      To simplify the situation with the hotel, I have arranged with them to
      cancel the room bookings that have already been made.

      This means that you do _not_ need to speak with the hotel to confirm
      your
      cancellation. However, if you were not paying by credit card and have a
      deposit arrangement with the hotel, please call them on 020 759 6311 to
      arrange any necessary refund.

      If you would like to continue with your booking, please check with the
      hotel
      for the current room rates, as the ones that were originally quoted were
      part of a special discount.

      In the event of any problems concerning the above, please feel free to
      contact me (Bel - Hotel Liaison) through queries@....

      Please check our web page at www.lspace.org/fandom/cons/dwcon2k/ where
      we
      intend to post updates, though if you require any further information
      please
      e-mail us at queries@....

      Yours sincerely,

      Claire-Louise Ruffle
      Madam Chair

      6) BAD OMENS FOR GOOD OMENS.

      Recent information and a visit to The Internet Movie Database
      (http://us.imdb.com/search) found that the book Good Omens, written by
      Neil
      Gaiman & Terry Pratchett is being made into a movie. Scouting around for
      more information is a bit difficult seeing the only information on IMDB
      is
      the writing credits, however the following was uncovered by a Pterrorist
      on
      the Bugarup University discussion list. It can be found in The Terry
      Gilliam
      Fanzine at http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/.

      "According to reliable sources, Gilliam and Tony Grisoni have stopped
      working on the adaptation of Good Omens to the big screen. In early
      December, it was announced that Gilliam would direct a film of the novel
      Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. Charles Roven was named
      as
      producer, and also it was stated that Gilliam would set to work with
      Fear
      and Loathing co-writer Tony Grisoni on a script. However, in the absence
      of
      a firm deal on a prospective Good Omens film, Gilliam and Grisoni have
      decided not to proceed at this stage on script development. "