WOSSNAME -- NOVEMBER 2002 -- PART 1 OF 4

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      November 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 11)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      MelMeet News Editor: Steven D'Aprano
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) NEW DISCWORLD ART PORTFOLIO
      2) BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER ANKH
      3) DISCWORLD DATA DOSSIER
      4) CZECH THEATER REPORT

      ====Part 2

      5) REVIEWS & COMMENTS: NIGHT WATCH
      6) SIGNINGS

      ====Part 3
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      KFL MEETS AROUND THE WORLD:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      7) MELMEET: Halloween
      8) ADMEET: Chilli Beer
      9) MELMEET: Dianne-Free
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS:
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      10) ANYBODY OUT THERE?
      11) TERRY'S CHARACTERS

      ====Part 4

      12) YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE
      13) PUZZLE: ERIC
      ======================================
      EDITORIAL RAMBLINGS

      Sorry this issue is a bit late, but I was waiting for some
      last minute items to come in, and was able to go to
      4 sections instead of 3 as a result.

      A newbie sent me a technical question which I circulated
      around, with my question, "Can you help?" Alas, AOL
      sent it out without her comments, and I have gotten a
      flood of confused messages asking what it was all about.
      Sorry, guys. And her original message has disappeared
      in cyberspace. We'll never know....

      Our thought for the month comes from Steven D'Aprano,
      of Australia, who reminds us:

      Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day,
      But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

      1) NEW DISCWORLD ART PORTFOLIO

      Paul Kidby is working on a project that is the successor
      to the Portfolio, to be called The Art of Discworld,
      c.128 pp and will be in hardcover, for publication next
      Autumn.

      The text of the next edition of the Companion has just
      been sent to Gollancz, so Spring 2003 would not be too
      far off the actual date for the third edition.

      -- Colin

      2) BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER ANKH

      Elton Murphy, head of Clarecraft, has announced a new
      contest for a wooden effect Bridge Over the River Ankh,
      a rare retired piece.

      If you can remember an obscure comment by Rincewind,
      you've got a great chance of winning.

      To see the Bridge and enter the contest, go to the contest website:
      http://www.discworldshop.com/cgi-bin/quiz/quiztest.cgi?competition

      3) DISCWORLD DATA DOSSIER

      *Recently published is a very good book on internet writing by Jane Dorner,
      called CREATIVE WEB WRITING (London: A & C Black, 0-7136-5854-1)
      -- which has a Foreword by Terry.

      *BCA {Book Club Associates] have just issued the second three volumes
      in their Unseen Library, MORT, SOURCERY and WYRD SISTERS.

      *NIGHT WATCH has now been no.1 in the UK fiction bestsellers list for two
      weeks, with nearly 31,000 sales recorded in the first week, and over 17,000
      sales in the second week.

      -- Colin

      4) CZECH THEATER REPORT

      Colin Smythe reports that the draw organised by the Discworld Convention
      group to save the Czech theater that was damaged by the recent flood
      raised 1600 GBP for the The Theatre at Dlouha Street in Prague, and this
      sum should be with the Theatre in early December.

      Winners of the draw:

      Night Watch - Bound UK proof of the new Discworld novel, donated by Colin
      Smythe went to: Anthony Mills, UK

      The Science of Discworld II - A bound proof of the popular science book
      and Discworld story by Terry Pratchett, Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart went
      to: Barbara Kendal, UK

      A Hogswatch Mug by Bernard Pearson - Rare and retired ceramic mug made
      by Bernard Pearson went to: Sally Matthews, UK

      Discworld Beer - 1 bottle of Black Hogswatch and 1 bottle of Albert's Drip,
      limited edition Discworld beers, donated by Colin Smythe, went to: A P
      Hudson, UK

      The Wyrdest Link - signed by Dave Langford, went to: Meg Glover, UK

      The Ansible Archive CD-ROM - Complete text and graphics from 1979 to
      September 2002 featuring many Terry Pratchett contributions and quotes -
      went to: Kathryn Evans-Knoblock, USA

      A signed first edition of War in 2080: The Future of Military Technology
      - Dave Langford's first book, went to: Janice McQuilkin, UK

      Authentic "CMOT's House of Very Cheape Costumes" Opera Ghost Mask
      - Worn by Dave Langford at the second and third Discworld Conventions,
      went to Debbie Tudhope, UK

      A signed copy of The Silence of the Langford - Written by Dave Langford with
      a small contribution by Terry Pratchett went to: Kathryn Evans-Knoblock, USA

      CMOT T-shirts - The wonderful, and highly prized, City Watch and Unseen
      Uni T-shirts created and donated by our very own CMOT Dibbler,
      Stephen Briggs, went to: Rhiannon Graham, UK and David MacLeod, UK

      Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature - A collection of essays about Terry
      Pratchett and his work that was published by the Science Fiction
      Foundation with a cover featuring Josh Kirby's portrait of Terry Pratchett,
      donated by Bonsai Discworld, went to: Stephanie Terpant, UK

      The Last Hero - Paperback edition of the Discworld fa including 16 new
      pages of illustrations by Paul Kidby, wen to: Morag Kenny, UK

      Limited Edition Discworld Print - featuring the artwork of Josh Kirby
      and produced by Isis Publishing - went to: Philip Bennett, UK

      UK Bound Proof - Maskerade - Rare bound proof of Pratchett's early novel
      about opera, went to: Laurie Gutteridge, UK

      'From the Discworld' CD - CD of music by Dave Greenslade,
      inspired by Discworld, went to: A P Hudson, UK

      Discworld Noir (PC) went to: Bridget Houlton, UK
      Discworld II (Playstation format) went to:Alex Carlton, UK

      A Science of Discworld Mouse Mat - Limited edition promotional mouse mat
      went to: Charles Caruthers, USA

      Witches Trilogy UK Hardback, went to: Rhiannon Graham, UK

      A Pyramids Promotional Mug - produced by Victor Gollancz
      for the release of Pyramids, went to: Katherine Levin, USA

      A rare Clarecraft Nac Mac Feegle Event Piece donated by Clarecraft
      went to: Philip Bennett, UK

      A retired Clarecraft piece - Windle Poons - donated by Clarecraft,
      went to: Lorraine Barber, UK

      Mort the Graphic Novel - UK first edition, went to Paul Alway, UK