WOSSNAME -- SEPTEMBER 2003 -- PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      September 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 9)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

      1) REPORT ON SEAMSTRESS PARTY AT WORLDCON
      2) PRATCHETT THEATER IN CZECH REPUBLIC DAMAGED
      3) LATEST PERTHMEET REPORT

      ====Part 2

      4) DANMEET REPORT

      LETTERS FROM OUR READERS:
      5) WHO FIXED THE PALACE?
      6) GHOULISH/CRYPTIC
      7) THE NEXT DW INVENTION
      8) SECRETS OF THE SNOW QUEEN

      ====Part 3

      9) NOT YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE
      10) PUZZLE: PYRAMIDS

      1) REPORT ON SEAMSTRESS PARTY AT WORLDCON

      The members of the Seamstress Guild of Ankh Morpork (California
      Chapter) invited Pratchett fans to a Discworld Fan Party in honour of
      Terry Pratchett, that took place on Friday, August 30th from 7 - 10 pm
      at the World Science Fiction and Fantasy Convention in San Jose,
      California (U.S.A.).

      Our special WOSSNAME roving reporter Selene attended
      and here's how it went:

      "I am embarrassed to admit that the place was so crowded that
      I couldn't get in the door. Here is what I could glean:

      "The auction to benefit the rainforest orangutans was said to be a
      rousing success. Mr. Pratchett disappeared and somehow in his place
      appeared the very living image of C.M.O.T. Dibbler as auctioneer.

      "My husband got outbid by a friend with more money than sense for an
      autographed set of the ancient Trollish game "Thud" which perhaps I
      didn't want in the house anyway.

      "The couture of the Seamstresses was a fabulous view of natural
      wonders all around, with the help of their personal corsetmakers.
      That's about all I can report."

      --Susan Fox-Davis, scullery maid

      2) PRATCHETT THEATER IN CZECH REPUBLIC DAMAGED

      In a special message from the Czech Republic,
      Martin Schwartz, editor of Cori Celesti and
      head of Klub T. Prachetta, Prague reports:

      "The Theatre in Dlouha Street, which has staged Terry's
      Wyrd Sisters for more than a year, is among the most
      important Czech theatres and has received many awards.
      You may have heard about the heavy flood in the Czech Republic
      and this affected Prague, too. The flooding was severe, with
      the water reaching a height of over 8 metres, where it is normally
      no more than 1.5 metres.

      "The theatre is not located on the bank of the river Vltava,
      but is not far from it, and is located below ground The water
      was extremely strong, coming not only from the street,
      but also from underground and from the sewers, and people
      and staff there had no chance to save the theatre, its storages,
      costumes, and technical equipment. Due to the water rising
      so quickly, they only had time to save themselves.
      Everything has been damaged. The water was up to the ceiling.

      "Terry visited Prague last year, saw the first run of Wyrd Sisters
      in this theatre, and seemed to like it. The ensemble will not give
      up, in spite of this horrible situation. They have decided to keep the
      people in their company together and travel through the country
      or to stage the show in their partner theatres, but it will be a
      struggle for them to survive."

      The DW Convention Committee has discussed their plight with
      Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, and has decided to organise a prize
      draw to help raise funds for the rebuilding and restoration of the
      theatre. They have approached other Discworld personalities and
      traders who have been kind enough to donate some fantastic prizes.

      Here's a sample of the prizes being offered:

      * Night Watch Bound UK proof of the next Discworld novel,
      featuring Commander Vimes and a frantic journey through time to
      save his future. Donated by Colin Smythe.

      * The Science of Discworld II - A bound proof of the popular
      science book and Discworld story by Terry Pratchett,
      Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart. Bound Proof

      *Exact details to be confirmed but a rare chance to get hold
      of a proof copy of one of Terry's early books.

      *Hogswatch Mug by Bernard Pearson Rare and retired ceramic
      mug made by Bernard Pearson.

      *Discworld Beer - Two 2 bottles of
      Black Hogswatch, limited edition Discworld beer.
      Donated by Colin Smythe.

      *The Wyrdest Link Signed by Dave Langford.

      *Ansible Archive CD-ROM Complete text and graphics
      from 1979 to September 2002 featuring many Terry Pratchett
      contributions and quotes.

      *Signed first edition of War in 2080: The Future of Military
      Technology Dave Langford's first book.

      *Authentic "CMOT's House of Very Cheape Costumes"
      Opera Ghost Mask Worn by Dave Langford at the second
      and third Discworld Conventions.

      *Signed copy of The Silence of the Langford written by
      Dave Langford with a small contribution by Terry Pratchett.

      *Discworld Noir for the PlayStation.

      *CMOT T-shirts The wonderful, and highly prized, City Watch
      and Unseen University T-shirts created and donated by our
      very own CMOT Dibbler, Stephen Briggs.

      *Terry Pratchett: Guilty of Literature A
      collection of essays about Terry Pratchett and his work that
      was published by the Science Fiction Foundation. The cover
      features Josh Kirby's portrait of Terry Pratchett. Being limited
      to a print run of 1000 copies (in paperback form only), this was
      a very limited edition book right from the start. This one up for
      grabs is particularly rare as it is 1 of only 10 copies to have been
      signed by 3 of the contributors (Farah Mendlesohn, Edward James,
      Dave Langford) and by Terry Pratchett himself. Kindly donated by
      Bonsai Discworld.

      *The Last Hero Paperback edition of the Discworld fable,
      including 16 new pages of illustrations by Paul Kidby.
      Limited Edition Discworld Print Featuring the artwork of
      Josh Kirby and produced by Isis Publishing.

      Tickets cost GBP 2.50 each - you can buy as many as you
      like until the draw closes on October 8th 2002. All proceeds
      of the draw will be donated to the fund for the rebuilding of
      the theatre. Colin Smythe has kindly offered to preside over
      the draw for prizes and the coordination of the donations.

      You can buy tickets using the online form at:
      http://www.dwcon.org/prize_draw.php3
      or send a cheque payable to "DWCon Charity A/C" to
      Discworld Convention Prize Draw, PO Box 2002,
      Romford RM7 7DQ, UK

      3) LATEST PERTHMEET REPORT

      A somewhat muddled Perthmeet report comes to us
      from our Australian KFL members:

      --- sybilrights <bernadine.cammans@...> wrote:

      > B* nervously clears her throat. Thinks, well, the people
      > I've met so far are at least human.... maybe I'll try some
      > more.

      (B = Berni, not Buffy, for the unenlightened)

      > Ah hem....."Does anyone live in Perth? Going there
      > late this month for work. Wanna meet for coffee
      somewhere central?"

      There are a couple of listmembers in Perth; good luck
      in organising a meet. May I suggest Fremantle for the
      best coffee [1] and pasta around? If you need
      somewhere closer to the city, then Northbridge has
      some good places.

      J, ex-sandgroper

      [1] I don't drink coffee, so this is hearsay, but the
      hot chocolates are great. Try a Vienna chocolate for
      true decadence. :)

      Hi, all sandgropers,

      I wouldn't mind a Perthmeet also. We could all grovel around
      and share mud pies with all this rain we have had the last
      couple of days.

      -Nanny Ogg

      See the next issue of WOSSNAME for another
      exciting installment.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
        Newsletter of the Foreign Legion
        September 2003 (Volume 6, Issue 9)
        continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
        in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
        Managing Editor: Annie Mac
        News Editor: Bethany Ayers
        Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
        Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
        Limericks Mistress: Drusilla D'Afanguin
        Haiku Handmaiden: Kate Oneamus
        Convention News Editor: Susan Fox-Davis

        1) NEW DISCWORLD NOVELS FOR 2004
        2) ONE-VOLUME BROMELIAD TO BE RELEASED IN U.S.
        3) TERRY'S CONFIRMED TOUR DATES 2003
        4) 2004 DISCWORLD CALENDAR JUST PUBLISHED

        ====Part 2

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        LETTERS FROM OUR READERS
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        5) MEN AT ARMS: ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW
        6) SOUL MUSIC EXPERT REPLIES
        7) WHAT TERRY DOES WITH OLD DRAFTS

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        KFL MEETS AROUND THE WORLD
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        8) BELLYMEET REPORT

        9) STRANGE RECIPES THAT NANNY OGG MISSED

        ====Part 3

        10) YOUR LONG-AWAITED DISC HOROSCOPE
        11) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: HOGFATHER
        12) BEST POLL OF THE YEAR
        13) THEATER NOTES

        1) NEW DISCWORLD NOVELS FOR 2004

        Colin Smythe, Terry's agent, reported in our last issue:

        Terry's second Tiffany Aching novel is to be called A HAT FULL OF
        SKY.   Granny Weatherwax features much more in this book than she did
        in WEE FREE MEN.   It will be published simultaneously in Britain and
        the US at the end of April or beginning of May 2004.

        Jennifer Brehl at HarperCollins now reports:

        Terry has recently finished his YA novel (to be published early
        next year by our Children's division), and has recently started
        his new adult novel, GOING POSTAL. That will be published
        next fall.

        ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

        2) ONE-VOLUME BROMELIAD TO BE RELEASED IN U.S.

        According to HarperCollins, The Bromeliad Trilogy will be released
        for the first time in the US in one volume. The three books,
        Truckers, Diggers, and Wings, follow the Nomes' search for
        safety, a search that leads them to discover their own astonishing
        origins and that takes them beyond their wildest dreams. If you
        live in the US, you can enter a competition to win the book from
        http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/books/contest_bromeliad.html
        ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

        3) TERRY'S US TOUR DATES 2003 CONFIRMED

        HarperCollins has released the confirmed dates
        for Terry's US tour.

        September 30, 2003, 6:30 PM EST
        WASHINGTON D.C.
        Washington Post Book Club/ Conversation with Michael Dirda
        Omni Shoreham Hotel
        2500 Calvert St. NW

        October 1, 2003, 7:30 PM EST
        ANN ARBOR
        Border's #1
        612 E. Liberty

        October 3, 2003, 7:00 PM PST
        SEATTLE
        University Bookstore
        At Kane Hall, University of Washington

        October 4, 2003, 7:30 PM MST
        DENVER
        Tattered Cover
        1628 16th Street

        October 5, 2003, 7:30 PM PST
        PORTLAND, OR
        Powell's City of Books
        1005 W. Burnside St.

        October 7, 2003, 7:00 PM PST
        LOS ANGELES
        Vroman's
        695 E. Colorado Blvd.
        Pasadena, CA

        October 9, 2003, 8:00 PM PST
        SAN DIEGO
        Mysterious Galaxy
        7051 Clairemont Mesa Blvd.

        October 10, 2003, 7:30 PM PST
        SAN FRANCISCO
        Cody's Books
        2454 Telegraph Ave.
        Berkeley, CA

        October 11, 2003, 12:00 PM PST
        SANTA CRUZ
        Bookshop Santa Cruz
        1520 Pacific Ave.

        October 11, 2003, 7:30 PM PST
        SAN JOSE
        Barnes & Noble
        3600 Stevens Creek Blvd.

        October 13, 2003, 7:00 PM CST
        AUSTIN, TX
        Bookpeople
        603 N. Lamar

        October 14, 2003, 7:00 PM EST
        NEW YORK CITY
        Barnes & Noble, Union Square

        ----------

        The signing tour then comes back to the UK for the following dates.

        Saturday 18 October 12 noon:
        Ottakars, Festival Place, Basingstoke

        Monday 20 October
        12 noon: Border's, Clifton Promenade, Bristol
        6pm: WH Smith's, 10-12 Regent Street, Swindon

        Wednesday 22 October
        1pm: Ottakar's, George St., Edinburgh
        6pm: Border's, Buchanan St., Glasgow

        Thursday 23 October 5pm: Waterstone's, St. Ann's Square, Manchester

        Friday 24 October
        11.45am: Border's, 1-5 Davygate, York
        6pm: Waterstone's, Grand Buildings, Jameson Street, Hull

        Saturday 25 October 12.30pm: WH Smith, Listergate, Nottingham

        Wednesday 29 October
        12pm: Barrett's of St. Neot's, 47 Market Square, St. Neot's, Cambs.
        6pm: Forbidden Planet, 179 Shaftesbury Avenue, London

        4) 2004 DISCWORLD CALENDAR JUST PUBLISHED

        The 2004 Discworld Calendar - officially 'Terry Pratchett's
        Discworld Collector's Edition 2004 Calendar' - (ISBN 0-575-07549-X)
        has now been published by Gollancz at 10.99 pounds including VAT.

        The illustrators:
        Cover and July: 'Night Watch' - by Paul Kidby
        January: 'Thief (Detritus vs. Here 'N' Now)' - David Wyatt
        February: 'Leonard of Quirm' - Mark Edwards
        March: 'The Witches' - Sandy Nightingale
        April: 'A'Tuin' - Gino D'Achille
        May: 'The Gods of Discworld' - Angelo Rinaldi
        June: 'Mr Brookes' Patented Elf Remedy' - Les Edwards
        August: 'Wyrmburg' - Jackie Morris
        September: 'Rincewind having trouble with the Octavo' - Stuart Williams
        October: 'Carpe Jugulum' - David Frankland
        November: 'When books of magic are left to themselves' - Sandy Nightingale
        December: 'Mr & Mrs War' - David Wyatt
        ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo