WOSSNAME - AUGUST 2002 - PART 1 OF 3

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2002
      August 2002 (Volume 5, Issue 8)
      continental groups. Are you a member? Yes, if you sent
      in your name and e-mail address. Are there any dues? No.
      News Editor: Bethany Ayers
      Staff Writers: Lady Aranluc
      Puzzle Editor: CatTigerLi
      Art Director : Rhett Pennell
      World Membership Director: Becky Swaney
      Convention News Editor: Megan Perry

      1) "THE NIGHT WATCH" - A REVIEW
      2) LATEST MELMEET REPORT
      3) NIGHT WATCH BOOK SIGNINGS - U.K.

      ====Part 2

      4) PRATCHETT ON TOLKIEN
      5) NEW DW FIGURES
      6) SAMUEL VIMES: A LIFE
      7) EVOLUTION OF GRANNY
      8) TERRY'S FAVOURITE BOOK

      ====Part 3

      9) YOUR DISC HOROSCOPE
      10) PUZZLE: WYRD SISTERS

      1) "THE NIGHT WATCH" - A REVIEW

      Night Watch is the 28th Discworld novel (or the 30th, for those of us who
      count TAMAHER and the two Science of Discworld books). It's - to my delight
      - another Vimes story. It also features the Watch. Well, the Night Watch.
      Well, the *old* Night Watch. I'm not giving anything away there, because
      the blurb, which has been available online for a while now, says as
      much; for those of you who haven't seen it, or who have short attention
      spans, here is the blurb in its entirety:

      'This morning, Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch thought he had it all.
      He was a Duke. He was rich. He was respected. He had a silver cigar case.
      He was about to become a father. This morning, he thought longingly about
      the
      good old days. Tonight, he's in them. Flung back in time by a mysterious
      accident, Sam has got to start all over again. He must get a new name and a
      job. He must track down a brutal murderer. He must find his younger self and

      whip him into shape. Because Sam Vimes knows what's going to happen. He
      *remembers* it. It's part of history. And you can't change history...But he
      is
      going to. He has no choice. But if he succeeds, he's got no wife, no child,
      no riches, no future...'

      When I first read that blurb, I was in the utter horrors. 'O gods, please
      don't kill
      off Vimes!' I cried to myself. 'And not Sybil, after the two of them have
      finally
      found some sort of happiness together! Aargh and similar thoughts. Well,
      readers, the good news is that it doesn't happen like that, although as
      always,
      nothing is simple. Oh, and by the way, that 'mysterious accident' is magical

      in nature, but no-one turns into an orangutan - or out of one...

      The early scenes in Night Watch are full of the usual gigglemaking goings-on

      and delightful punes, but then the story grows deadly serious and pretty much

      stays that way. Readers who only come for the humour may find this
      frustrating,
      but for my part I found it one of my instant favourite Discworld books. What
      it
      lacks in slapstick and nonsense, it makes up for with a generous dose of grim
      but ultra-sharp irony, plus Pterry's usual lashings of right-on-the-mark
      social satire.

      Night Watch expands the Ankh-Morpork Universe, as it were, filling in yet
      more of the blanks in the Discly history books. It also deals very cleverly,

      i.e. with the typical Pratchett disregard for Sacred Fictional Traditions,
      with
      the matter of time-travel paradoxes. I cannot recommend it too highly. I
      didn't
      get as transported by delight as usual by Thief of Time, but Night Watch
      ROCKS!!!
      I'd give it a twelve

      Trust me, you're gonna love this one. If I said otherwise, I'd be...cutting
      me
      own throat...

      -- Granny Tude

      2) LATEST MELMEET REPORT

      MINI-MELMEET
      18th August 2002

      held at SteVen's Fortress of Avoiding the Neighbours
      Melbourne, Australia

      THE BERNI REPORT

      Lora and Berni check their arsenal - they are going to meet strangers. Who
      are
      they really? They could be ax murderers (Berni & Lora hide their ax) They
      could be real weirdos (Berni pats down her newly dyed hair [red - no not red,
      but RED - what can I say - I work at a Uni and I feel old!] This could be
      boring [bring the games] This could be fun [clear the diary]. How did a few
      letters on a screen turn into real people? When did that happen? Did those
      letters come in small domes that have snow falling if you shake them? (Reaper
      Man - my favourite book)

      In the rush to get ready, Berni and Lora made the fatal mistake of actually
      being ....... ready and .........(horror, horror) early - and caught Stephen
      with his pants down! (he was in the shower). The scary moment of meeting
      some
      people you have never met but know so well was a good moment for Berni and
      Lora....... Dru however seemed to be a little worried and had to immediately
      go
      to the toilet. We now know how scary Berni and Lora can be!

      Lora and Berni looked around the flat - ahhhhh, this looks just like home.
      They
      looked at the hosts..... they sound like friends, Lora looked at the big pile
      of
      healthy vegetables on the table and mutters (where's the jelly.... the
      custard.... the sugar......). Later, after threatening multi-coloured pasta
      was
      waved and squid ink shapes of dried flour and water were denied, lunch was
      served. Mmmmmmmmm said Berni (too healthy by half said Lora).

      Lunch was eaten, first and second helpings! Stephen's failed attempt to burn
      cd was seen through in a moment and Berni and Lora were finally brought into
      *Stephen's room*. Ooohhhhh, no whips, no chains.... must be carefully hidden
      of course. Wyrd music did drift loudly through the Hex and we now know why
      Dru
      had to leave Ireland (just joking, just joking don't hit me with those
      carefully
      hidden chains).

      Viewing that Kidby bloke's pictures, Berni realises how little she knew, but
      stands
      proudly while her protégé, Lora, mentions all the right references and finds
      the
      hidden jokes. Berni nods and smiles and says to herself "God, I'll have to
      read
      that again, I missed that bit".

      Finally - out comes the custard, the jelly, the fruit. Dru was remarkably
      restrained and although the custard was a perfect throwing/rolling-in
      consistency ...... it proved to be the afternoon entertainment for Steve who
      struggled with suction, set jelly and runny custard to serve it equally
      (although he had a little trouble with the concept of - yes, runny custard
      *will*
      run into a gap if you keep spooning it out!). It took much less time to eat
      than serve and left 4 happy people!

      After 4 happy hours, Lora, who worked for ken-chucky late into the night
      before
      and was dragged screaming from her bed early to go to a university open day
      before lunch, was looking a little droopy and Berni decides to take her home
      (getting in all that last minute mothering before subject grows up and
      realises
      that they are able to make perfectly reasonable choices of their own)

      What can I say, no axes in sight, lovely food, great company, the only weird
      thing was my hair - Berni and Lora went humming into the sunset "last night I
      had a drreeeaammm!".

      Dru was really sweet and sent us a thank-you-ish SMS before we were even
      home......what did she say? Stephen had gone to sleep. Yep, our visit was
      exciting for them too!

      -- Berni

      3) NIGHT WATCH BOOK SIGNINGS - U.K.

      Saturday 2 November
      1.00pm Forbidden Planet, 71 New Oxford Street,
      London, WC1A 1DG

      Tuesday 5 November
      4.30-5.30pm WH Smith, The Arndale Centre,
      Manchester M4 3AD

      Wednesday 6 November
      12.30-1.30pm Borders, 94-96 Briggate,
      Leeds LS1 6NP

      5.00-6.00pm Hammicks, 15 James Street,
      Harrogate HG1 1QS

      Thursday 7 November
      4.30pm Waterstone's, 128 New Street,
      Birmingham B2 2DB

      Friday 8 November
      12.30-1.30pm Waterstone's, 22 Cathedral Lanes,
      Broadgate, Coventry CV1 1LL

      5.00-6.00pm Ottakar's, 9 The Square,
      Market Harborough LE16 7PA