WOSSNAME -- JULY 2002 -- PART 2 OF 2 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30 9:42 AM
      WOSSNAME -- JULY 2002 -- PART 2 OF 2 (continued)

      2) DISCWORLD FAN PARTY AT WORLDCON

      The members of the Seamstress Guild of Ankh Morpork (California
      Chapter) invite you to a Discworld Fan Party in honour of their
      esteemed founder, Mr. Terry Pratchett, to take place on Friday,
      August 30th from 7 - 10 pm at the World Science Fiction and Fantasy
      Convention in San Jose, California (U.S.A.). Please visit
      http://www.conjose.org for more details or write to Denise Connell,
      the party's organizer at info@...

      3) WORLDWIDE PRATCHETT MEET-DAY

      The first-ever International Terry Pratchett Fan MEETUP Day is
      Monday, August 5 @ 7:00PM, and then every month thereafter!

      MEETUPs are apparently informal, local, face-to-face gatherings
      where Terry Pratchett fans of all types can talk about
      all-things-Pratchett... AND make new friends in the process.

      All MEETUPs are FREE and are happening in over 500 cities WORLDWIDE!

      They've tried to make it easy by picking some good MEETUP spots for
      this event, including local cafes, restaurants, and stores.

      Check out the Terry Pratchett MEETUP page at:
      http://tpratchett.meetup.com

      4) U.K. CONVENTION UPDATE

      With just days before fans converge on Leicestershire for the Convention,
      the Con Committee has announced the release of the official Convention
      T-shirt, designed by Paul Kidby. The shirt, featuring a Nac Mac Feegle,
      can be pre-ordered for collection at the Convention or dispatch in early
      August.

      Be sure to order early as these shirts are a limited edition and will only be

      available whilst stocks last. The sizes available are S, M, L, XL and XXL.

      The Con Chairman reports:

      "We have now completed the programme arrangements with over
      100 unique programme items planned for the weekend. Our hotel
      team have hammered down the bar prices on beers and spirits to
      the lowest levels I have seen at a Discworld Convention. We are also
      arranging a selection of bottled ales for the discerning drinkers
      amongst our members. See the Website for more details.

      "Colin Smythe has raided his treasure trove of Discworld collectibles
      and has donated over 50 items to the charity auction, and other
      Discworld personalities have also been very generous with their donations.

      "We also have Convention badges and keyrings available on the Website
      for order now.

      "And, for a very limited time, whilst stocks last, we have available supplies

      of the first 5 Discworld diaries at prices that will blow you away. Recent
      sale prices of the 1998 Discworld diary on Ebay were over £20.00 and we
      have it available for just £14.50 (plus postage and packing). The diaries
      range in price from £11.99 to £14.50.

      "If you want to complete your collection of these extremely sought-after
      items, be sure to order now. If you get through to the payment area, your
      order is secured.

      "There is still time to join online, so get to the Website -
      http://www.dwcon.org/ - and book a ticket today.

      "See you at the Convention!"

      -- Paul A Rood, Chairman

      2002: A Discworld Odyssey
      16th-19th August 2002, Hinckley, UK
      http://www.dwcon.org/

      5) LORDS AND LADIES/Theatre Review

      Arena Arts and Entertainment presents Lords and Ladies
      adapted by Irana Brown and directed by Simon James.
      Where: Hayman Theatre, Curtin University, Australia
      When: 8pm on 10-13 and 17-20 July
      Cost: $14/$10
      Phone: 9362 4080 or 9362 4550

      I went to see this last night, and enjoyed it. The
      acting was good, and it was well adapted. (It's been
      a while since I read Lords and Ladies though.)
      Granny, Magrat and Casanunda were particularly
      memorable, and the elves were suitably sinister.
      There was a nice touch with having the elves offstage
      and having their voices come from different places.
      Costumes, sets, sound and lighting were good, and the
      stick and bucket dance was great!

      -- Jehane, in Perth, trying to type with frozen fingers.

      LETTERS

      6) AMAZING MAURICE

      To the Editor:

      It was the last book my sisters read to mum before she, er completely
      Disappeared into fantasy land. The day before she died she had a quite sane
      conversation with one of the nurses about the book, remarking it was one of
      the best children's books she had read in 99 years. She wanted to know
      did Maurice go off and get a new rat plague after the others settled down
      and she was worried about him being lonely. Sometimes mum was in the here
      and now but mostly in fantasy land with Terry Pratchett's characters.

      -- Dianne

      To the Editor:

      How very wonderful! I can't think of a better way to drift away than having
      private conversations with the inhabitants of the Disc. I hope I get to be
      that lucky.

      -- Dru.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      7) STRANGERS ONNA TRAIN

      To the Editor:

      I was sitting on the train on my way to Manchester the
      other day, reading Pyramids, and managing not to laugh
      out loud on trains at all, when I heard a giggle from the
      bloke sat next to me. I glanced at his book and saw the
      word Rincewind, so I turned to him and said 'which one
      are you reading then?' He was reading The Last Continent,
      and a discworld-type conversation ensued!

      I just found it amusing!

      -- Fuzzy (aka Fiona Wynn)

      8) WHAT *IS* THE DISCWORLD SERIES?

      To the Editor:

      > * From: "Dee Owen" <deeowen@...>
      > *
      > I was just wondering about a small bit of information in this
      > month's edition of Discworld Monthly. In regard to Terry's new
      > books, it states that 'The Amazing Maurice and his Educated
      > Rodents', is a non Discworld novel yet the front cover on the hard
      > back edition distinctly states on the bottom of the cover, under the
      > title, that it is indeed 'A Story of Discworld'.

      [snip]

      > DWM replied: TAMAHER is not officially considered to be a
      >Discworld Novel in that it doesn't fit > in the Discworld series.
      >It is however set on the Discworld.

      What *is* the Discworld series?

      Does this mean that Pyramids isn't a Discworld novel? How about the
      Thief of Time, Moving Pictures or Equal Rites? When PTerry wrote The
      Colour of Magic, was it not a Discworld novel because there was no
      series for it to be part of at that time? Did it only become a
      Discworld novel when The Light Fantastic was published?

      Surely all it takes to be a Discworld novel is for something to be (i)
      a novel and (ii) set on the Discworld?

      In any case, Maurice and his Educated Rodents have already been
      mentioned once before, by the Wizards in Reaper Man. The exact quote is:

      "Yes," said the Senior Wrangler. "We don't need to do that. We get
      over most things. Dragons, monsters. Rats. Remember the rats last year?
      Seemed to be everywhere. Lord Vetinari wouldn't listen to us, oh no. He
      paid that glib bugger in the red and yellow tights a thousand gold
      pieces to get rid of 'em."
      "It worked, though," said the Lecturer in Recent Runes.
      "Of course it bloody worked," said the Dean. "It worked in Quirm and
      Sto Lat as well. He'd have got away with it in Pseudopolis as well if
      someone hadn't recognised him. Mr so-called Amazing Maurice and His
      Educated Rodents!"
      ******************
      I would be very surprised if PTerry himself would consider Maurice to
      not be a Discworld novel. I think the confusion has come about from the
      publishers, who marketed Maurice as a children's' book (it has chapters
      and everything) and can't wrap their minds around the concept that a
      book can be both a children's fantasy novel and an adult Discworld
      novel at the same time.

      -- Steven D'Aprano

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      9) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: SOURCERY
      Answer the questions and put the letter
      indicated into the spot shown. Read the word
      backwards and discover the death of all wizardry,
      sometimes called the Teatime of the Gods.
      (Note: all spellings are from the 1988 Gollancz edition.)

      Example: Pratchett - 1st letter: ANSWER: Terry LETTER: T

      1. The Destroyer - barbarian hero in woolly underwear - 4th letter

      2. Bursar of UU - surname - 1st letter

      3. Father of the Sourcerer - 2nd letter

      4. The UU Lore Master - 8th letter

      5. Keeper of the Books - 1st letter

      6. Gateway city to Klatch - 1st letter

      7. The awful effect of Klatchian coffee - 4th letter

      8. Daughter of the famous barbarian - 1st letter

      9. Candidate for Archchancellor - 7th letter

      10. Ruler of Ankh-Morpork - 1st letter

      11. Rincewind's faithful companion - 5th letter

      __/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/ = The death of all wizardry
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/11/

      Puzzle solution will appear next month.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      SOLUTION TO LAST MONTH'S PUZZLE: MORT

      1. A harmless drink made mainly from apples - 1st letter
      SCUMBLE = S
      2. Plants that grow backwards in time - 1st letter
      REANNUALS = R
      3. A young wizard in Sto Lat - 5th letter
      CUTWELL = E
      4. Foremost tavern in Ankh-Morpork - 1st letter
      MENDED DRUM = M
      5. Death's horse - 2nd letter
      BINKY = I
      6. Death's manservant - 6th letter
      ALBERT = T
      7. Death's daughter - 5th letter
      YSABELL = E
      8. What Death was seeking in Ankh-Morpork - 1st letter
      FUN = F
      9. Princess of Sto Lat - 4th letter
      KELI = I
      10. Mort's father - 1st letter
      LEZEK = L

      S_/R_/E_/M_/I_/T_/E_/F_/I_/L_/ = Death's greatest secret
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo