WOSSNAME - SPECIAL BULLETIN - JULY 13, 2002

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2002
      TERRY WINS!

      A special report from Colin Smythe, Terry's agent:

      "I'm delighted to say that Terry won the 2001 CILIP Carnegie Medal for THE
      AMAZING MAURICE AND HIS EDUCATED RODENTS.

      "The Award was announced at a ceremony at the British Library today. He was
      given the award by the Special Guest Tony Hart whose painting skills have
      delighted viewers of BBC TV for nigh on 50 years, who also gave the Kate
      Greenaway award for the best illustrated book to Chris Riddell as illustrator
      of Richard Platt's PIRATE DIARY."

      [CILIP stands for Chartered Institute of Library and Information
      Professionals]

      The following is the PR release sent out by Doubleday:

      Terry Pratchett wins coveted
      Carnegie Medal

      The most prestigious award for children’s literature, the Carnegie Medal, has
      this year been awarded to one of the country’s most popular novelists.

      Terry Pratchett’s first novel for children for five years, The Amazing
      Maurice and his Educated Rodents was today announced as the 2001 winner. At
      a ceremony held at The British Library, Terry Pratchett was presented with
      his medal by representatives from CILIP, the body responsible for
      administrating the award.

      “Our decision was unanimous,” says Karen Usher, Chair of this year’s judging
      panel. “This is an outstanding work of literary excellence – a brilliant
      twist on the tale of the Pied Piper that is funny and irreverent, but also
      dark and subversive. It is a rich multi-layered story with a pacy plot and
      excellent characterisation. Terry Pratchett uses his trademark wit and
      humour to question our society’s attitudes and behaviour in a way that is
      totally accessible for children of 10 years and over.”

      In spite of having 48 books in print and worldwide sales in excess of 27
      million, this is the first mainstream literary award that Terry Pratchett has
      won. “I’m totally delighted and genuinely shocked,” says Terry. “I’d have
      bet £1000 against me! I’m especially pleased because Maurice isn’t just
      fantasy but funny fantasy, too. It’s nice to see humour taken seriously.”

      Maurice is the first children’s book set in Pratchett’s imaginative creation
      -Discworld. It is a story within a story; a rich satire of the well-known
      Pied Piper tale peopled by intelligent rats, an equally intelligent,
      streetwise tomcat, Maurice, and Keith ‘a stupid looking kid’ with a pipe.
      Maurice masterminds a moneymaking scam; they infest town after town and until
      Keith gets paid to pipe them away. All is well until they enter the
      beleaguered Bad Blintz where they encounter Malicia Grim, a girl who inhabits
      a world of fairy stories, and a dark and sinister evil - a totally new
      concept for the rats.

      His previous books for children have enjoyed considerable best-selling
      success and have been shortlisted for many awards including the Carnegie
      Medal (1994, 1997), The Guardian Children’s Fiction Award (1993, 1997), and
      the Children’s Book Award (1997). He won the 1993 Writers Guild Award
      (Children’s Books) for JOHNNY AND THE DEAD and in 1996 was awarded the
      Smarties Prize Silver Award (9-11 age category) for JOHNNY AND THE BOMB in
      1996.
      -- Colin