WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2002 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2002
      WOSSNAME -- JUNE 2002 -- PART 3 OF 3 (continued)
      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      10) HOBBIT RECIPE FROM DISCWORLD

      To the Editor:

      In my re-reading of The Hobbit, I've noticed a reference to a foodstuff
      called cram, that bears a passing resemblance to dwarf bread and/or
      Twoflower's Traveller's Digestives.

      If you want to know what cram is, I can only say that I don't know the
      recipe; but it is biscuitish, keeps good indefinitely, is supposed to be
      sustaining, and is certainly not entertaining, being in fact very
      uninteresting except as a chewing exercise. It was made by the
      Lake-men for long journeys.

      Note that while it was made by the men of the Lake town, at the time it is
      being eaten by the dwarves.

      Secondly, could there be a connection between Roundworld film star Boris
      Karloff, born Henry Pratt, and Discworld opera star Enrico Basilica, born
      Henry Slugg?

      -- ConMan

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      11) THIS MONTH'S PUZZLE: MORT
      Answer the questions and put the letter
      indicated into the spot shown. Read the word
      backwards and discover Death's greatest secret.
      (Note: all spellings are from the 1987 Gollancz edition.)

      Example: Pratchett - 1st letter: ANSWER: Terry LETTER: T

      1. A harmless drink made mainly from apples - 1st letter

      2. Plants that grow backwards in time - 1st letter

      3. A young wizard in Sto Lat - 5th letter

      4. Foremost tavern in Ankh-Morpork - 1st letter

      5. Death's horse - 2nd letter

      6. Death's manservant - 6th letter

      7. Death's daughter - 5th letter

      8. What Death was seeking in Ankh-Morpork - 1st letter

      9. Princess of Sto Lat - 4th letter

      10. Mort's father - 1st letter

      __/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/__/ = Death's greatest secret
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/9*/10/

      Puzzle solution will appear next month.

      ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

      SOLUTION TO LAST MONTH'S PUZZLE:
      EQUAL RITES

      1. Home town of first female wizard (FFW) to be admitted to
      Unseen University - 2nd letter BAD ASS = A

      2. River traders on the Ankh - 4th letter ZOONS = N

      3. Eldest brother of FFW in 1 above - 3rd letter JAIMS = I

      4. Father of FFW in 1 above - 3rd letter GORDO = R

      5. Archmage of the Wizards of the Silver Star - 4th letter
      CUTANGLE = A

      6. Landlord of The Fiddler's Riddle - 2nd letter
      SKILLER = K

      7. Young male wizard in training - 1st letter
      SIMON = S

      8. A hideous old dark god of the Necrotelicomnicon - 2nd letter
      BEL-SHAMHAROTH = E

      A_/N_/I_/R_/A_/K_/S_/E_/ = First name of FFW in 1 above
      1*/ 2*/ 3*/4*/ 5*/6*/7*/8*/ ESKARINA

      oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo