675WOSSNAME -- Early edition -- February 2014

    Feb 10, 2014

      SPECIAL EARLY EDITION: PLAYS AND THINGS

      February 2014 (Volume 17, Issue 2, post 1)

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      02) EDITOR'S LETTER

      03) RAISING STEAM: USA RELEASE AT LAST!

      04) EARLY DISCWORLD NOVELS HARDCOVER RELEASES CONTINUE

      05) THE FUN OF THE (BOOK) FAIR...

      06) ...AND PLAYING DRESS-UPS FOR THE STORYTELLING MUSEUM

      07) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS

      08) NEW INTERVIEW IN LOCUS MAGAZINE

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "When I was in my late teens, my mate Dave put on Steeleye Span at

      11. It was ringing in my ears and that was it – I went to see them

      whenever I could. Just hearing them has helped me."

      – folk-rock fan TDJ Pratchett

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      So here we are in February, nearly half-way through, and I have to

      report with some embarrassment and frustration that my health issues

      continue to slow my WOSSNAME projects to snail's pace. Sorry about

      that... but there is some news and quite a number of stage

      productions to tell you about, so this will be the first of two

      posts for this month.

      Prog Rock Magazine have made a short documentary about the making of

      Steeleye Span's Wintersmith album, featuring Sir Pterry, Maddy Prior

      and other members of the band. The video is the second feature

      window, barely a third of the way down the page:

      http://tinyurl.com/lts84ms

      There is also a 14-minute YouTube promo for the album, featuring

      clips from the songs and well worth listening to!

      http://tinyurl.com/m8b7lx7

      Also of interest: on the French science fiction site "L'etrange

      Librarium", an interview with musician-turned-translator Patrick

      Couton who has been translating the Discworld series since 1993.

      Those of you wishing to practice your "langue de Quirm" might enjoy

      having a go; the rest of you can head to the translation engine of

      your choice. My own Quirmish being a bit rusty but serviceable, I

      can tell you that this interview tempts me to get hold of some of M

      Couton's Discworld translations; he says the rendering of the text

      is left up to him – and as a onetime English-to-French lyrics

      translator, your Eidtor appreciates what a fine and taxing art that

      is – and besides, "Monde merveilleux du caca" is an even better

      title than "The World of Poo", n'est-ce pas?

      http://tinyurl.com/kwheejo

      And now, it's on we go!

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) RAISING STEAM IN THE USA

      At last, the wait is over! And the cover's not bad either. Raising

      Steam will be released across the water on the 18th of March. For

      all you faithful Pratchett readers who had to wait, trust me, the

      wait was worth it...

      To pre-order your copy via links from USA publishers Doubleday:

      http://smarturl.it/RaisingSteamFB

      For the record, on Amazon the pre-order prices are $17.04 for the

      hardcover edition, $15.31 for the Kindle edition, and $23.63 for the

      Audiobook CD; as usual, Amazon guarantees that if a lower price

      becomes available by the shipping date, pre-orders will be

      accordingly reduced in charge.

      The Amazon page:

      http://tinyurl.com/phq65ja

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) REMINDER: EARLY DISCWORLD NOVELS HARDCOVER RELEASES CONTINUE!

      As you'll recall from our featured item in last October's main

      issue, "The Discworld Collector's Library" is being released in

      "thematic" sets, with hard covers illustrated by Joe McLaren, at a

      very reasonable price of £9.99 each. The Death Collection,

      consisting of Reaper Man, Mort, Hogfather and Soul Music, have

      already been released, as has the Cultures of Discworld Collection

      (Small Gods and Pyramids). This month of February sees the release

      of two titles from the Unseen University Collection, Eric and

      Sourcery, while March is scheduled for the release of the first

      titles in the City Watch Collection, Guards! Guards! and Men at

      Arms. Unfortunately, as publishers Gollancz have pointed out, they

      only own the release rights to these lovely books in the UK and

      Commonwealth countries with the exception of Canada, so North

      American readers wishing to purchase any of the collections will

      have to do so via UK or non-Canadian Commonwealth booksellers.

      And here's a great place to buy them – the Discworld Emporium, on

      the Street of Cunning Artificer (note lack of plural):

      "Developed by Gollancz in consultation with Sir Terry Pratchett, the

      Discworld Collector's Library is an affordable new set of hardback

      editions of Discworld novels, from The Colour of Magic to Jingo.

      These books look stunning on the bookshelf, with gorgeous artwork

      and a fine print quality that make these books a collection to

      treasure. The Books will be published in a series of themed sets

      beginning with the 'Death' collection, and will be added to our site

      as and when they become available."

      http://tinyurl.com/lc2udcz

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) AUTHOR OF THE DAY IS...

      Sir Terry Pratchett, of course! This particular day being 8th April

      2014, the opening day of the 2014 London Book Fair:

      "The author's work will be the focus on a programme of events on

      Tuesday 8th April to celebrate 'the writer's place at the heart of

      the international publishing industry'... LBF director Jacks Thomas

      said: 'Terry's presence at The London Book Fair 2014 is a complete

      treat; a national icon and international inspiration, Terry has

      created a literary fan base of millions around the world; his

      contribution to the book industry is tremendous and his influence

      continues to stimulate  new generations of readers in numerous

      markets and languages. We are looking forward very much to welcoming

      him to Earls Court in April.' Larry Finlay, m.d. of Transworld,

      said: 'All of us at Transworld and Random House Children's

      Publishers are so proud to publish Sir Terry Pratchett. I cannot

      think of another writer who has done more to entertain and inspire

      readers across the last three decades.'..."

      www.thebookseller.com/news/pratchett-be-lbf-author-day.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) DRESS-UPS FOR STORY TIME!

      In which Sir Pterry becomes Just William, for a wee while:

      "Oxford's Story Museum will open this spring with a photographic

      exhibition featuring famous authors dressed as the characters they

      loved most as children. The 26 Characters exhibition will feature

      children's laureate Malorie Blackman as the Wicked Witch of the West

      in Frank L Baum's The Wizard of Oz, Terry Jones as the comic strip

      character Rupert Bear, Terry Pratchett as Just William from the

      Richmal Crompton series, and Neil Gaiman as Badger from Kenneth

      Grahame's The Wind in the Willows, in a series of photographs taken

      by Cambridge Jones... The museum is planning a full programme of

      events and activities, with a talking throne and a dressing-up area.

      The exhibition is supported by the Arts Council and will run from

      April to November..."

      http://www.thebookseller.com/news/authors-dress-story-museum.html

      7.1 GOING POSTAL IN GEORGETOWN, ONTARIO

      Georgetown Little Theatre are currently presenting their production

      of Going Postal, with four shows remaining.

      When: 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th February 2014

      Venue: John Elliott Theatre, 9 Church St, Georgetown, Ontario (beside

      the Library)

      Time: 8pm all shows

      Tickets: price is not displayed anywhere unless one ent4rs the

      credit card gate; for info and price(s), ring box office

      905-877-3700 (Tuesday through Thursday from 2pm to 6pm, Friday and

      Saturday from 1pm to 5pm, with extended hours on show nights) or

      purchase online at

      https://secure1.tixhub.com/haltonhills/procurement/

      www.haltonhills.ca/theatre

      7.2 ...AND IN BASILDON

      The Thalian Theatre Company,whose vast array of previous Pratchett

      productions includes Wyrd Sisters, Men at Arms, Maskerade, Mort,

      Guards! Guards! and Carpe Jugulum, are adding a new play to the list

      when they present Going Postal in March.

      When: 27th to 29th March 2014

      Venue: Mirren Studio, Towngate Theatre, St. Martin's Square,

      Basildon, Essex SS14 1DL

      Time: 8pm

      Tickets: £10 adult, £8.50 concessions, available from the theatre

      box office on 01268 465465, or you can book tickets online by going

      to http://tinyurl.com/kfubr4y

      http://www.towngatetheatre.co.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4771

      7.3 MAKING MONEY IN SALISBURY

      Studio Theatre of Salisbury, whose production of Going Postal last

      year was greatly enjoyed and praised by Sir Pterry himself, will

      present another Discworld spectacular – Making Money, this time

      – in March. Chris Hawley of the theatre group says, "Like last

      time, we expect this show to sell out so to avoid disappointment

      best to book early.This is what Sir Terry said about Going Postal

      ...' This was so well done that I wish I had written a better book!

      I loved the voices, because it has to be about the voices. It was

      done so people could see it and have a lot of fun. If they (Studio

      Theatre) wanted to do some more Discworld, I would be here in the

      front row.'"

      When: 20th February-1st March 2014 (no performances on Sunday 23rd

      or Monday 24th)

      Venue: Studio Theatre, Ashley Road, Salisbury, Wiltshire SP2 7TN

      Time: 7.30pm

      Tickets: from Salisbury Information Centre, phone 01722 342860

      http://www.studiotheatre.org.uk/

      7.4 REMINDER: WITCHES ABROAD IN PORTSMOUTH

      Collingwood RSC Theatre Group, already veteran Pratchett play

      presenters, will offer their production – a world premiere, no

      less – of Witches Abroad in March.

      When: Wednesday 26th through Saturday 29th March 2014

      Venue: HMS Collingwood, Newgate Lane, Fareham, Portsmouth, PO14 1AS

      Tickets: £6, available via the box office (07502 037922)

      To see their whimsical Kidby-pastiche poster, go to

      http://tinyurl.com/l9hlaka

      https://www.facebook.com/hmscollingwoodrsc

      7.5 WYRD SISTERS IN ACCRINGTON, CHESHIRE

      Oswaldtwistle Players will present their production of Wyrd Sisters,

      adapted by Stephen Briggs and directed by Martina Burns, in late

      April and early May.

      When: 30th April - 3rd May 2014

      Venue: Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre, 157 Union Road, Oswaldtwistle,

      Accrington BB5 3HZ

      Time: 19:30

      Tickets: £8.50 (concessions £7.50); all tickets £7 on 30th April

      http://i72139.wix.com/oswaldtwistleplayers

      7.6 WYRD SISTERS IN NEWPORT, ESSEX

      The Newport Free Grammar School, a fine old institution whose former

      pupils include the fine actor James Frain and a rather well-known

      cook fellow called Jamie Oliver, will be presenting their production

      of Wyrd Sisters in March.

      When: Thursday 13th to Saturday 15th March 2014

      Venue: Newport Free Grammar School, Nedwport, Essex CB11 3TR

      Time: 7:30pm

      Tickets: £8, concessions £6

      Booking is through the Finance office on 01799540237

      For more information, and a good-looking poster (reproduced with

      permission, too), go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/nela4oc

      7.7 MEN AT ARMS IN KEW

      The Q2 Players, "Kew's Leading Amateur Theatre Group", will present

      their production of Men at Arms in April.

      When: Thursday 3rd – Saturday 5th April 2014

      Venue: Kew Community Centre, St. Luke's in The Avenue, Richmond,

      Surrey TW9 2AL

      Time: Thurs-Sat shows at 8pm; Sat Matinee 2.30pm

      Tickets: £8 (concessions £6) Box office TBA; email

      q2players@...

      http://www.q2players.org.uk/Q2_Players/Upcoming_Show.html

      7.8 NATION IN TEMPE, ARIZONA

      The Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts will present a

      production of Mark Ravenhill's NT stage adaptation of Nation in

      April, directed by Megan Weaver.

      When: 4th–13th April 2014

      Venue: Galvin Playhouse, 51 E. 10th St, Tempe, AZ 85287 (at Mill

      Avenue & 10th Street, University of Arizona Tempe campus)

      Time: 4th, 5th, 10th and 12th at 7.30pm; 6th and 13th at 2pm

      Tickets: $8-$16; to buy online, go to http://tinyurl.com/lhb2oyw

      Herberger Institute students are offered free admission on tickets

      reserved in advance.

      7.9 MONSTROUS REGIMENT IN CHICAGO

      Chicago has already experienced Discworld on stage a few months ago,

      and now the Windy (and currently bloody freezing) City gets another

      taste: Lifeline Theater will present their production of Monstrous

      Regiment, as adapted by Chris Hainsworth and directed by Kevin

      Theis, on various dates in May, June and July, a veritable season!

      When: 30th May – 20th July 2014

      Venue: Lifeline Theatre, 6912 N Glenwood Ave, Chicago, IL, 60626

      Time: evenings at 7.30pm on Thursdays and Fridays and at 8pm on

      Saturdays; matinees at 4pm on Saturdays and Sundays

      Tickets: $20 for previews (30th May-8th June), $40 for Regular Run:

      June 12-July 20 (Thu & Fri at 7:30pm, Sat at 4pm & 8pm, Sun at 4pm).

      To book online in advance, go to http://tinyurl.com/kzehtaw and

      click on the desired dates at the bottom of the page (or scroll

      through from there to the June or July calendars for tickets on

      those dates)

      http://www.lifelinetheatre.com/performances/13-14/mr/index.shtml

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) NEW INTERVIEW IN LOCUS MAGAZINE

      Here be a few quotes from the Pratchett interview in this month's

      Locus Magazine:

      "I just love steam engines. Even here in Britain, if a steam train

      goes through the countryside, it never spoils the countryside! Oh,

      there's all the stuff it's chuffing out, but we nod that off. The

      old fashioned railways, the steam engines, they lived and they

      breathed...

      "I want to live in a world where I go into the office and I say,

      'Put up the piece I was doing yesterday and get me Dave on the

      phone.' And the computer would say, 'Yes, Terry, I'm giving you the

      last thing you wrote yesterday and I believe you mean Dave Busby

      because he's the Dave you most often speak to.' Regrettably the

      technology hasn't got me there yet, but at least when I walk through

      the office door the computer starts up and Word is already there on

      the screen, waiting for me to start talking. It's not difficult to

      do. We are monkeys, so talking to other monkeys comes naturally.

      Some people say there's no charm in dictation. To hell with that,

      it's down there on the page...

      "I want to do another Tiffany Aching novel, too. Have you heard of

      Steeleye Span? They're an English folk group, and they're putting

      quite a lot of Tiffany Aching in an album inspired by Wintersmith.

      When you see her again she'll be a bit older than she was in the

      last novel, of course, because I can do that sort of thing, but I

      think she's going to have different problems from now on. I write

      these days in what I call 'carpet squares.' I do a bit, noodle

      around, see what it looks like. I've got carpet squares all over the

      place! I know there's a story in there somewhere. I've got most of

      it in my head, but I don't know what the ending is, although I think

      she's going to tell me what it is when I'm good and ready...

      "We haven't talked about my Alzheimer's. It doesn't bother me at

      all. I mean, I have it. But a lot of better writers than me, born

      around the time I was born, are now lost..."

      To read more extracts, go to http://tinyurl.com/ocdh55w

      The full interview is available in the February 2014 issue of Locus.

      The USA cover of Raising Steam: http://tinyurl.com/mtn2jgt

      Somewhere in deepest Queensland, Australia, there's a civic planner

      who loves Discworld: http://tinyurl.com/mr3w6b7

      A very nice group of people playing a round of Treefrog's "The

      Witches" Discworld board game and loving it. There may just be a

      WOSSNAME Newshound in there: http://tinyurl.com/n4zyffw

      And that's it for the moment. But we'll be back before the end of

      the month with more news, reviews, reports and whatnot. Enjoy your

      Valentines and don't forget to cook those pancakes! And also

      remember, a far more readable online version of this issue is

      available at http://wossname.dreamwidth.org/2593.html

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write: interact (at) pearwood (dot) info