659WOSSNAME -- Main issue -- March 2013

    Mar 20 3:34 PM
      March 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 3, Post 2)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Staff Writers: Asti, Alison Not Weatherwax, Steven D'Aprano, L.C.
      Thomas
      DW Horoscope: Lady Anaemia Asterisk, Fernando Magnifico, Kevin
      time)

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) THE NEXT LONG EARTH VOLUME – AND THE NEXT DISCWORLD NOVEL!
      04) "FACING EXTINCTION" DOCUMENTARY SHOWING AT LAST!
      05) ERIC ON THE WIRELESS: A REVIEW
      06) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT
      07) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      08) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS
      09) THE THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY...
      10) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      11) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS
      12) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      13) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE
      14) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "Never mind the iPad, when's it going to arrive as a destination on
      my Satnav?"

      – Discworld fan David Rickson, commenting on the Discworld App

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      Plenty of news in this second edition of the month, including some
      exciting announcements about forthcoming novels, lots of Discworld
      plays, and word of some new Discworld music with rocks – well,
      folk-rocks – in.

      Reader LM writes to say she has found herself in a bit of a NADWcon
      pickle. Can anyone help? Here be her letter:

      "I bought two tickets to NADWCON last year at the original price ($88
      each) and am no longer able to attend, so I am looking for someone
      to sell/transfer the tickets to. If interested, please email
      proofitgood@...."

      Oh, and thanks to the devotion of editor Anne Hoppe at Clarion and
      the ever-excellent Colin Smythe, The Carpet People, illustrated with
      the then-teenaged author's own drawings (which are really quite
      charming, by the way) will be published in the USA – for the first
      time ever! – this November.

      On with the show!

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) THE NEXT LONG EARTH VOLUME – AND THE NEXT DISCWORLD NOVEL!

      It's official:

      "(FX Drum Roll) The next Discworld novel will be... RAISING STEAM.
      We have to make it clear that there's no date for publication, no
      deadline and no you can't pre-order yet because we haven't finished
      it."

      – Pterry via Ptwitter, 8th March 2013

      And another exciting announcement, from Lynsey at Transworld:

      "THE LONG WAR will be published on the 20th June! To celebrate three
      months until publication we will release EXCLUSIVELY a bite sized
      chunk of the draft cover every day until the complete image is
      revealed on the 20th March next week!"

      To pre-order at a special discount UK price of £15.19 at Amazon:

      http://amzn.to/13SZTcW

      ...and here is, indeed, a bite-sized chunk:

      http://tinyurl.com/bpfnl44

      ...and another:

      http://tinyurl.com/b4bmqef

      ...and yet another:

      http://tinyurl.com/aw6gx34

      ...and:

      http://tinyurl.com/c4b3vjn

      ...and then:

      http://tinyurl.com/c7zekt3

      ...and once more into the breach:

      http://tinyurl.com/c3eq9rc

      and finally:

      http://tinyurl.com/cyorgad

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) "FACING EXTINCTION" SHOWING AT LAST!

      Remember this announcement from the February issue, about the
      forthcoming orangutan documentary that reunites Sir Pterry with
      award-winning director Charlie Russell (and orangutans)?

      "Best-selling Author Sir Terry Pratchett, diagnosed with Alzheimer's
      five years ago, has one last adventure he wants to go on. Eighteen
      years ago Terry had a life-changing experience in the jungles of
      Borneo, where he encountered Orangutans in the wild for the first
      time. Now he's going back to find out what the future holds for
      these endangered species, and discover a new threat to their habitat
      that could push them to the brink of extinction. His Alzheimer's
      will make the trip an incredible challenge both physically and
      mentally, as he contemplates the role of mankind in the eradication
      of the planet's species, and considers his own inevitable
      extinction...."

      Well, the documentary is airing at last, in less than a week! It's
      on BBC2 on Wednesday 27th March. The programme is an hour long and
      will be shown starting at 9pm. here's what the Radio Times has to
      say:

      "Orangutan numbers in Indonesia have halved, and for Pratchett,
      diagnosis with a rare form of Alzheimer's has confronted him with a
      sense of his own mortality. While he still can, Pratchett wants to
      revisit the orangutans again, to see what chance they have, but also
      to ponder his own looming extinction: as he puts it, 'When you're
      dying, how do you live your life?' It's a touching and profound
      film, as we've come to expect from Pratchett. He talks stirringly
      about the beauty and sheer force of orangutans. Remembering his
      meeting with famous alpha male Kusasi, he says, 'You absolutely knew
      that he could take you to pieces. He looked like two Arnold
      Schwarzeneggers side by side.' He hopes to be reunited with Kusasi,
      but in the vastness of the jungle, it's a long shot..."

      To view the complete article, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/ctnbbrm

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) ERIC ON THE WIRELESS: A REVIEW

      By Annie Mac

      A radio play can take you to another world if you close your eyes
      and let it... not only to the more relaxed and shadowed world of
      Before The Internet, but sometimes to a different universe entirely.
      BBC Radio 4's currently airing production of Eric does exactly that.
      I did close my eyes to listen, and while I post-date the "gather
      round the crystal set" generation I do remember the thrill, back in
      the 1970s, of tuning our enormous vintage jukebox-style radio to
      stations around the world in the middle of the night. Listening to
      the radio play of Eric brought me right back to that vast walnut-
      cabinet-clad monster and the ghostly sound of static in the night –
      but even in broad daylight on a modern receiver, the magic is there.

      Mark Heap, once known for voicing the animated sitcom character
      Stressed Eric, stresses again in the BBC Radio 4 production of Terry
      Pratchett's Eric – this time as Rincewind. Heap does a good line
      in hapless and hapless is exactly what's needed for our Rincewind.
      Geoffrey Whitehead plays Death in a very different but no less
      appropriate style, using a remote, almost wheezy voice that brings
      to mind the stale, still air of long-closed tombs rather than the
      usual "closing of a huge and final leaden door" portrayal. Will
      Howard gives a solid rendition of Eric himself, but I admit to
      wishing the production had cast an actor who sounded more
      adolescent. Ben Crowe, who plays several parts in the play, is
      excellent as Wossname the parrot, as is Nicholas Murchie as the
      demon king Astfgl. Rick Warden is a superb narrator – possibly the
      best since the late great Peter Jones voiced The Book in the
      Hitchhiker's Guide radio and telly productions, and that's saying a
      lot. Warden also provides a marvellously world-weary Lavaeolus in
      the third instalment.

      The sound effects and music are top-notch, and director Jonquil
      Panting has done a very good job of whatever it is a radio director
      does (one wonders if it involves semaphore through the window of the
      recording booth).

      Radio 4's Eric continues through the 27th of March, and each episode
      is available on BBC iPlayer for seven days following each original
      broadcast. Do catch it if you can!

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r2t5v/episodes/guide

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) ODDS AND SODS DEPARTMENT

      6.1 ENOUGH MUSIC TO MAKE AN ANTHROPOMORPHIC PERSONIFICATION: THE
      WINTERSMITH ALBUM

      Legendary folk band Steeleye Span, a favourite of Sir Pterry
      (remember when they played for his birthday party?), have
      collaborated with the Master on a new musical project. The subject
      matter is familiar:

      "Now having established themselves live over the last 2 years as a 6
      piece, Steeleye Span are emerging on another new exciting chapter.
      This time the band has looked even further afield and has found
      inspiration in the work of famous British author, Terry Pratchett.
      Famous for his series of Discworld novels Terry is a long-standing
      fan of the band, even booking them to play at his sixtieth birthday
      party. Now the two are to collaborate on a brand new project, a
      record based on Pratchett's Wintersmith novel. The subject matter
      is completely appropriate for Steeleye, a tale of ancient rituals
      and secret folk dances that perfectly complements their previous
      work whilst taking it in new directions. The resulting album will be
      released in the second half of the year. Fans will be able to get a
      taste of these new songs along with the familiar classics and gems
      on the band's forthcoming UK tour, which starts on the 8th of
      March in Winchester..."

      http://www.prlog.org/12092384-steeleye-span-spring-tour-2013.html

      For those of you who can make it in person to a current Steeleye
      Span gig and hear some of the Wintersmith songs performed live, here
      are the rest of their tour dates for March:

      Mar 21: Loughborough Town Hall, Loughborough
      Mar 22: The Castle, Wellingborough
      Mar 23: The Cromer Pier and Pavilion Theatre, Cromer
      Mar 24: The Marina Theatre, Lowestoft
      Mar 25: Cambridge Corn Exchange, Cambridge
      Mar 27: The Stables Milton Keynes
      Mar 28: Farnham Maltings, Farnham
      Mar 29: New Theatre, Oxford
      Mar 30: Beck Theatre, Hayes
      Mar 31: Assembly Hall Theatre, Tunbridge Wells

      Keep an eye out for further news:

      https://twitter.com/steeleye_span
      https://www.facebook.com/SteeleyeSpan

      ...and here be a short review from fan Bryony Holden, who has seen
      and heard the new songs performed live:

      "Went to see Steeleye Span last night and had the opportunity to
      hear four tracks from the forthcoming album Wintersmith. Oh my
      goodness me .. what a fantastic job they are doing! The first song
      was an entreaty from Tiffany Aching to our Mr Pratchett not to trap
      her in the book at a tender age .. not ashamed to say it made me
      cry. Then a fantastic song about the teachers .. gathered in their
      tents, selling something people need but dont want .. The third song
      was The Wintersmith himself, trying to win Tiffany round ..
      'everything is melting but your heart' .. and the last one, 'I Shall
      Wear Midnight' .. Whether you are a fan of the band, or the book, or
      both, there is much to be looked forward to here!"

      6.2 THE AUTHOR, IN HIS OWN VOICE

      AudioGO are offering a discount price for hours and hours – well,
      nearly two hours – of the audiobook "Terry Pratchett In His Own
      Words":

      "A fascinating chance to hear Terry Pratchett talk about his life
      and career, in a selection of interviews taken from the BBC radio
      and TV archive. Sir Terry Pratchett is a writer famous for his
      fantasy Discworld series. In this recording we hear - in his own
      words - about science-fantasy and comedy writing. He discusses his
      fans and followers, how he enjoys writing and the importance of the
      Discworld characters. We hear his thoughts on fame and isolation,
      his attitude to money, his diagnosis with early-onset Alzheimer's
      disease, and he's open about making his assisted death documentary
      for TV. He also discusses his inspirations, and the business of
      being a writer."

      Available at the special price of £1.49 (formerly £5.49)

      Author: AudioGO
      Reader: Terry Pratchett
      Running Time: 1hrs 57min
      Publisher: AudioGO Ltd
      Series: In Their Own Words
      Number of CDs: 0
      File Quality: MP3 (256kbps)

      For more info, and to purchase, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/cgoebsu

      6.3 THE LANGUAGES OF DISCWORLD

      Discworld fan Rachel Rowlands posted on a certain other Discworld-
      related 'zine's Facebook page with the following interesting recap
      of Latatian As Wot Ancient Ankh Spoke. All familiar to most of us
      but worth a recap!

      "I found this on the clacks... Hex kindly transcribed it for me...
      all about pretentious Latin Mottos. this is was it said about
      Discworldian Mottos... The Discworld novels often mock this trope,
      with 'Latatian' mottoes, such as the motto of the city of Ankh-
      Morpork: 'Quanti canicula ille in fenestra': 'How Much is That Doggy
      in the Window'.

      "The Watch's motto, 'Fabricati diem, pvnc'. According to Colon in
      Guards! Guards!, it translates as 'To protect and to serve', but
      it's actually Canis Latinicus for 'Make my day, punk.' Apparently
      abbreviated from the watch's original motto – 'Fabricati Diem,
      Puncti Agunt Celeriter' – 'Make the Day, the Moments pass
      Quickly'. Also according to the Discworld Companion, the new Watch
      motto is 'Viae sunt semper tutus pro hominibus probis' – 'The
      Streets Are Always Safe for Honest Folk'. It's not clear what Vimes
      thinks about this, given that The City Watch Diary stated he
      previously vetoed the motto 'The Innocent Have Nothing To Fear' on
      the grounds that 'the innocent had a great deal to fear, partly from
      the guilty, and partly from the sort of people who think the
      innocent have nothing to fear'.

      "The motto of Unseen University is 'Nunc id vides, nunc ne vides':
      now you see it, now you don't. Unseen University's unofficial motto
      is 'Eta Beta Pi' ("Eat a better pie", or possibly "Eat a bit of
      pie"). Fitting considering the legendary feasts that take place
      within the University.

      "Feet of Clay has several family mottos, the biggest groaner surely
      being the baker's, 'Quod Subigo Farinam' ('Because I knead the
      dough'). The person coming up with the mottos for upstart commoners
      purchasing arms did this sort of thing on purpose in disgust. In the
      same scene, a deprecated coat of arms is described as being
      'Excretus Ex Est Altitudine' and 'Depositatum De Latrina', Canis
      Latinicus for respectively 'shat on from a great height' and
      'dropped down the toilet'.

      "The motto of the Dunmanifestin mission in The Last Hero is
      'Morituri Nolumus Mori' – 'We who are about to die don't want to'.
      Needless to say, it was suggested by Rincewind. Vetinari lets it
      stand because it's actually a pretty good motto for a mission to
      Save The World. The motto of the Ankh-Morpork Fools' Guild is 'Dico,
      dico, dico' – 'I say, I say, I say...' And don't forget the
      Assassins' guild: 'Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre' (No killing without
      payment). The guild of Seamstresses has a very similar motto, 'Nil
      Volupti Sine Lucre' (No pleasure without payment).

      "The Sto-Helits go with the unsubtle 'Non Timetis Messor': 'Don't
      Fear The Reaper', also a Shout Out to Blue Oyster Cult. See Real
      Life, below. In Small Gods, the Quisition's unwritten motto is
      'Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia and cerebellum' – 'When you
      have their balls (translated to 'full attention') in your grip,
      their hearts and minds will follow'. The Other Wiki has a collated
      list of Guilds, together with their mottos as cobbled together from
      various sources. Highlights include the Alchemists ('Omnis Qui
      Coruscat Est Or' – 'All That Glitters Is Gold'), Conjurers ('Nunc
      Ille Est Magicus' – 'Now That's Magic!', a Paul Daniels reference)
      and the Gamblers ('Excretus Ex Fortuna' – 'Shit Out Of Luck').

      "Lampshaded by Vimes in Jingo, when he suspects that General
      Tacticus's 'Veni Vidi Vici' is too pat for anyone to make up on the
      spot, so must've been chosen in advance from a variety of
      alliterative phrases. Possible Dog Latin alternatives Vimes thinks
      of, that Tacticus might've rejected, include 'Veni Vermini Vomiti'
      ('I came, I got ratted [drunk], I threw up') or 'Veni Veneri
      Vamoosi' ('I came, I caught an embarrassing sexual disease, I
      left'). Let's not forget the last one: Veni, Vici, VETINARI. Jingo
      also gives us a rather Ozymandiannote piece of Canis Latinicus from
      Tacticus, that is equal parts boast, threat and Stock Phrase: 'Ab
      hoc videre domum tuum' ('I can see your house from here').

      "In Thud! someone asks Vimes 'Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?'
      (translated as 'Who watches the watchmen?', as above). Vimes'
      answer? 'Me.' Also, the Vetinari family motto –'Si non confectus,
      non reficiat.' – 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'."

      ...and Christopher Mahood has a helpful suggestion (and link) for
      would-be Nac Mac Feegle-speakers:

      "Rite, bein an ulster-scott maself, I thought anyone interested in
      nac Mac feegles would like tah be lernin tag speak like um!"

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/ulsterscots/learn/1

      6.4 PASS THE DRIED FROG PILLS, FOR A GOOD CAUSE

      HankScorpio TheCockatiel offers a link to the eBay store Totally
      Stencilled, where ten per cent of the price of a Discworld- inspired
      t-shirt ("Going Bursar") goes to Alzheimer's Research UK. The shirts
      come in a variety of colours and are priced at £13.99 each:

      http://tinyurl.com/cdlxv3n

      6.5 DISCWORLD APP NEWS

      It's going well:

      Top 5 iPhone and iPad Apps of the Week (3/7/13)

      "This week we have six apps in our Top 5 iOS Apps list. If you are a
      fan of the works of Terry Pratchett and his fantasy novels then you
      will be into our first app Discworld: The Ankh-Morpork Map with a
      100 AppScore... From the app description: 'There's a saying that all
      roads lead to Ankh-Morpork. At least, there's a saying that there's
      a saying that all roads lead to Ankh-Morpork. And it's wrong. All
      roads lead away from Ankh-Morpork, but sometimes people just walk
      along them the wrong way. You, dear traveller, have made such a
      glorious mistake. We offer up this guide to our vibrant metropolis
      for your information and delight.'

      "Check out a quote from AppAddict.net: "once you watch the three
      live-action mini-series that are on Netflix (Hogfather, The Color Of
      Magic and Going Postal) and read a few books, you will hit that buy
      button with absolutely no regrets".

      http://tinyurl.com/bbc92o2

      6.6 WHAT LOVING THE WORKS OF PRATCHETT SAYS ABOUT YOU... MAYBE

      From Sparknotes, a bit of pop-headology:

      "If your favorite author is Terry Pratchett, it says, 'You are
      mischievous. You are smart — sometimes too smart for your own
      good. You might enjoy roleplaying games like Dungeons and Dragons or
      GURPS. You might be the clown among your local geek clan — your
      friends would say you have a tendency towards the absurd and the
      sarcastic. Your parents can often be a drag, but you also get part
      of your sense of humor from them. They probably don't share your
      particular taste in science fiction and fantasy, but maybe they
      introduced you to Lord of the Rings or something similar in your
      younger days — for which you are eternally grateful, even though
      they give you a hard time about going to see midnight screenings in
      the middle of midterms week.'"

      Other authors used in the profile were J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis,
      J.K. Rowling, and George R. R. Martin.

      http://tinyurl.com/amehr3a

      7.1 REMINDER: GOOD OMENS IN GLASGOW

      It's the world stage premiere of Good Omens!

      When: 20th-24th and 27th-30th March 2013
      Venue: Cottiers Bar, Restaurant & Theatre, 93-95 Hyndland St,
      Glasgow G11 5PU
      Tickets: £3.00-£5.00 To book, ring the theatre box office (0141
      357 4000), or to book online go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/bbo4fzo

      For more information, go to:

      www.cultclassic.org
      www.cottiers.com

      7.2 REMINDER: NIGHT WATCH IN CHICHESTER

      Chichester Players are presenting their production of Night Watch
      this month and finally organised their tickets.

      When: Wednesday 20th to Saturday 23rd March.
      Venue: Chichester Cinema at New Park Centre, New Park Road,
      Chichester, West Sussex PO19 7XY
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £9, available from the Cinema Box Office:

      www.chichestercinema.org

      To book online, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/bbtletk

      http://www.chichesterplayers.org.uk/

      7.3 WYRD SISTERS IN STEVENAGE

      Wyrd Sisters will be performed at the end of this month by the
      Gordon Craig Theatre's Wednesday SDA class. One night only!

      When: Friday 29th March 2013
      Venue: Gordon Craig Theatre, 1st floor of Stevenage Arts and Leisure
      Centre. Stevenage, Herts (adjacent to Tesco Superstore, within one
      minute walk from the Railway Station or Bus Station and only five
      minutes travelling distance from the A1(M).) For information about
      parking and access, go to: http://tinyurl.com/bggwhhq
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £11 (concessions £1.50 off per ticket)

      http://tinyurl.com/bmfludn

      7.4 THE FIFTH ELEPHANT IN SWANSEA

      Swansea Little Theatre Presents their production of The Fifth
      Elephant next month.

      When: 17th to 20th April 2013
      Venue: the Dylan Thomas Theatre, Dylan Thomas Square, The Marina,
      Swansea SA1 1TY (phone: 01792 473238)
      info@...
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: £10 (£9 concessions).

      To book online, go to:
      http://www.intelligent-tickets.com/index.php?th=dt

      http://www.swansealittletheatre.org.uk/

      7.5 MORT IN BRIGHTON, UK

      Brighton University Drama Society are presenting their production of
      Mort in April.

      When: 19th – 21th April
      Venue: Sallis Benney Theatre, 58-67 Grand Parade, Brighton, East
      Sussex BN2 0JY
      Time: 7pm (Doors 6:45pm)
      Tickets: £7 (£5 Concessions)

      "The Brighton University Drama Society (BUDS) was formed in 2006 and
      has since been devoted to putting on excellent theatre. All of our
      shows are produced and performed by Students. We make use of the
      huge pool of talent within Brighton University to make our shows as
      professional as possible. We are, of course, limited by finance. All
      the money we make goes into booking theatres, set, props and
      costumes. We are using Kickstarter as part of a wider fund-raising
      campaign and the money we raise here we be used on set, props and
      costumes. We have a cast of around thirty people and it is difficult
      to manage with so many people on such a tight budget but we have
      always made it work in the past."

      Note: they've already exceeded their modest goal of £300, and the
      funding drive doesn't even end until 26th March.

      http://tinyurl.com/a3k9ggt

      7.6 WYRD SISTERS IN CAMBRIDGE

      Wyrd Sisters will be presented in what sounds like a rather
      different version by Bawds in Cambridge next month.

      "Wyrd Sisters is an adaptation of one of the best and most
      theatrical comic fantasies in the hugely entertaining Discworld
      series by Sir Terry Pratchett. It is a surreal mash-up of pantomime,
      Monty Python, fairy tale and Shakespeare, with a lunatic version of
      Macbeth seen from the skewed perspective of the three alarmingly
      human and dysfunctional witches, the Wyrd Sisters. It is given a
      fast-moving steampunk production by one of the most experienced
      amateur companies in Cambridge and directed by an ex-President of
      the Cambridge Footlights."

      When: Tuesday 16th – Saturday 20th April 2013
      Venue: ADC Theatre, Park Street, Cambridge CB5 8AS (phone 01223
      300085)
      Time: 7.45pm
      Tickets: £9/£7 concessions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Matinee;
      £10/£8 concessions on Thursday – Saturday.

      For more information, and to view the delightful trailer – yes,
      the play has a live action trailer! – go to:

      http://www.adctheatre.com/whats-on/drama/wyrd-sisters.aspx

      7.7 ERIC IN HANAU, GERMANY

      "Die Dramateure" will perform their production of Eric – in
      German, of course – in April. The company has already performed
      Wachen! Wachen! (G!G! to English speakers) and Ruhig Blut (aka Carpe
      Jugulum), so they'll be well experienced!

      When: Friday 12th and Saturday 13th April 2013
      Venue: Hohe Landeschule, Alter Ruckinger Weg 53, 63452 Hanau,
      Germany
      Time: 7.30pm
      Tickets: €6

      For further information, go to:

      http://www.dramateure.com

      7.8 WYRD SISTERS IN CHICAGO

      The MorBacon Theatre Company is putting on a production of Terry
      Pratchett's Wyrd Sisters, and are hoping to fund it via
      Kickstarter.

      When: last two weeks of July 2013
      Venue: Side Project Theatre, 1439 W. Jarvis Avenue, Rogers Park,
      Chicago IL 60626
      Tickets: "will go on sale as it gets closer to the performance"

      Their Kickstarter appeal says that "every dollar past the $5,000 we
      need to perform the show will go towards making 'Wyrd Sisters' even
      better. This will be split between props, costumes, advertisement,
      and promotional materials. If we get enough for promotional
      materials, then YOU, THE PROJECT BACKERS, will have them added to
      the appropriate tiers! This will happen automatically, with no need
      to change your reward level. The greatest challenge will be, of
      course, to obtain an audience! We're hoping that those backing the
      project will also be able to come attend the show, to see exactly
      what their generous donations have paid for. Beyond that, there is
      also the theatre community of Chicago, as well as Midwestern
      Discworld fans that can attend, and we will certainly be advertising
      to all of them! In case of illness or inclement weather, we will
      need to adapt our performance schedule somewhat. Everyone who
      purchases a ticket will be accommodated, however."

      http://tinyurl.com/b89w7fl

      7.9 CARPE JUGULUM IN CARDIFF

      Monstrous Productions Theatre Company will present their production
      of Carpe Jugulum in June. All proceeds from the performances will be
      donated Alzheimer's Research UK. They already have a successful
      production of Monstrous Regiment under their belts (last year).
      Details of dates, times and tickets are not yet available, so stay
      tuned to:

      http://www.monstrousptc.com/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      O8) DISCWORLD CONVENTION NEWS

      8.1 NADWCON 2013 UPDATES

      NADWcon are "sad to report that Stephen Baxter is no longer able to
      join us in July due to professional commitments." But "thrilled to
      announce that Rod Brown, MD of Narrativia, will be joining us! With
      over 25 years experience in the television industry, and having
      helped to bring the Discworld to life in Hogfather, Color of Magic
      and Going Postal, we can't wait to hear what he's got planned next!"

      All else goes forward apace: "As you may have seen in the member
      newsletter, our Opening & Closing Ceremony times have been
      confirmed! The official opening ceremony will take place at 7pm on
      Friday July 5th. There will be programming on Friday during the day
      for early arrivals and Thursday for those coming in to enjoy the
      July 4th Celebrations. Closing ceremony will take place at 3pm on
      Monday July 8th and should last approximately one hour. See you
      soon!"

      Do you have a small craft business offering knitted Dwarf helmets
      for sale? Are you a retrophrenologist looking to expand your
      clientele, or simply a concern offering goods or services that might
      appeal to Discworld fans? In that case, why not consider advertising
      in the 2013 NADWcon programme? Prices range from US$40, for a black
      and white one-eighth-page advert (an appropriate size...), to US$350
      for the back page in full colour – and that's cutting their own
      throats. It's a great way to reach at least a thousand fans, and
      possibly 1,000 elephants...

      For more details and a full pricing chart, go to:

      www.nadwcon.org/at-the-convention/advertise-in-the-program

      www.nadwcon.org

      8.2 CABBAGECON 2013 UPDATES

      Special guest Science of Discworld co-creator Dr Jack Cohen will be
      spending a certain weekend in Sto La-, er, The Netherlands:

      "Between 24 and 26 May 2013 the second Dutch Discworld Convention
      Cabbagecon 2 will happen at the NH Hotel Zandvoort in Zandvoort aan
      Zee. It will be a happy occasion for fans of Sir Terry Pratchett
      from the Netherlands and abroad to meet each other and have fun. We
      hope to see you too!"

      Adults
      For the weekend €50.00
      Day tickets €30.00

      Concessions, students and children born after 26 May 1995
      For the weekend €40.00
      Day tickets €25.00
      Children born after 26 May 2008 free only when accompanied by a
      paying adult

      To register for the whole weekend or for day passes, go to:

      http://www.dutchdwcon.nl

      8.3 IDWCON 2013 UPDATES

      The third Irish Discworld Convention will take place on 1st–4th
      November 2013 at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Limerick City. Membership
      prices are:

      Adult – €45
      Concession – €35
      Student – €35
      Teen (13-18) – €18
      Junior (8-12) – €12
      Mini (0-7) – Free

      http://www.idwcon.org/price-guide

      To purchase your membership, go to:

      http://www.idwcon.org/purchase-membership

      8.4 WADFEST 2013 UPDATES

      Wadfest 2013 will take place from the 9th – 11th August 2013 at a
      much improved site: Wood Green Animal Shelter, King's Bush Farm,
      London Road, Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire, PE29 2NH

      Tickets will be £20 each, a fiver less than at Wadfest 2011.

      http://www.wadfest.co.uk

      8.5 SCHEIBENWELT 2013 UPDATES

      German Discworld Convention 2013

      "The biennial Discworld Convention takes place at a castle in a
      German speaking country. 2013 the Convention starts at October the
      3rd at Castle Bilstein and ends at October the 6th. During this
      period we offer our more than 200 guests workshops, talks, games,
      guests of honour and Discworld merchandising normaly not available
      in Germany. You can visit us for a day or stay at the castle or a
      hotel nearby."

      Tickets for the whole convention, Thursday through Sunday, are
      €120 (adults), €85 (children). Friday through Sunday or Thursday
      through Saturday: €90 adult, €65 child. Saturday and Sunday
      only: €55 adult, €40 child. Friday and Saturday only: €60
      adult, €45 child. Member prices are slightly lower.

      Despite being in Germany, this year's convention will have a
      distinct Klatchian flavour. For more information and to purchase
      tickets, go to:

      http://www.Discworld-Convention.de

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) THE THINGS PRATCHETT FANS SAY...

      Patrick Webb says...
      I salute you sir! Your Night Watch books have long touched a chord
      in my heart. You capture the spirit of the poor slob who makes his
      way in the dark of night, pounding a beat for a pittance... only
      trying to do the right thing. I first read "Guards Guards" while
      pounding a beat in the dark of the night. Thank you for keeping me
      company on many a long dark night.

      Jane Vaughan says...
      I've had the app for a few days now and I love it. Treated myself to
      the book and map for Xmas. So to see it all come alive is fantastic.
      Better still to get involved by.....No, I won't spoil anything here.
      Thanks to all involved!!

      Jorgen Boo says...
      O, Wizard of Words! I love books that are not only humourous but
      also deep, intelligent and poisonously ironic; hence I love Your
      books. Whenever I realise a depth, slightly disguised, I sense
      another one. Thus I follow a thread down a seemingly bottomless
      shaft, holding my breath anticipating the next revelation. When I
      run out of wits, and still understand that it is something more,
      something elusive, that I can't pinpoint, then I have to accept my
      defeat and once again bow before the Master. Reading books in such a
      vivid and, in a sense, interactive way is a challenge and a pleasure
      that at the same time makes one stay humble. I learn a lot reading
      those books, whilst being constantly amused and quite often baffled
      and impressed, and what more can I ask for? Thank You!

      Vicki Gower says...
      Proudest moment. The kids sat through the entire soul music dvd,
      back to back episodes and my 9 year old daughter wants to be Susan
      for book day at school tomorrow! Thank you Terry for inspiring the
      next generation of readers, so very glad you have helped me find
      something special for me and my kids xxx

      Joseph Lynn Thomas says...
      The Arkansan Ankh-Morpork fan base sends our best wishes to Sir
      Terry and would like to thank him for sharing his world with us.

      Mike Ryan says...
      Just finished reading "Dodger" and am missing the rascal already,
      only pray there may be more of his antics in the works.

      Eddie Matsuoka says...
      Good morning from Chicago, Sir Terry! Hope none of your sausages
      come from Dibbler but all of your lap dances come from Tawneee! :)

      Jennie Tee says...
      Am reading collected short stories by author Terry Pratchett and
      laughing out loud; driving other half mad by reading out choice
      excerpts. Thank you someone for giving us Terry Pratchett

      J-me Hill says...
      Dear Sir Terry Pratchett, I just wanted to take this time to say I
      was moved deeply moved after watching "Choosing to Die". I support
      the right to die, having seen people in my life suffer in agony,
      when they had decided they were ready to leave this world but unable
      to. As much as it hurts to say goodbye, it hurts more seeing the
      one's you love withering in their dying body, taking them further
      away from you, even though they lay in a bed right before you. The
      system needs to change. I was also deeply saddened to hear of your
      diagnosis. I just wanted to say thank you, for the wonderful stories
      I read as a child. You are a brilliant, brave man and I wish you
      good luck on this new quest you are on. I hope you get to read this
      message.

      Meo Mwt says...
      My 7-year old son picked Terry Pratchett as his favourite author for
      his homework this weekend - based on my reading The Bromeliad and
      The Wee Free Men as bedtime stories. The homework asked what
      question he would ask his favourite, and he replied "If you could
      live anywhere on Discworld, where would it be?" If you have a moment
      to answer, I'm sure he'd love to find out.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      The City of Small Gods is a group for fans in Adelaide and South
      Australia. TCoSG have regular dinner and games nights, plus play
      outings, craft-y workshops, and fun social activities throughout the
      year. For more info and to join their mailing list, go to:

      http://ausdwcon.org/pages/smallgods

      The Broken Vectis Drummers meet on the first Thursday of every month
      from 7.30pm at The Castle pub in Newport, Isle of Wight. The next
      meeting will probably be on Thursday 4th 2013, but do email
      (see below) to check. All new members and curious passersby are very
      welcome! For more info and any queries, contact:

      broken_vectis_drummers@...

      The Wincanton Omnian Temperance Society (WOTS) meets on the first
      Friday of every month at the famous Bear Inn from 7pm onwards.
      Visitors and drop-ins are always welcome! The next WOTS meeting will
      (probably) be on Friday 2013.

      The next meeting of the Broken Drummers, London's original Discworld
      meeting group, will be from 7pm on Monday 1st April 2013 at the
      Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London W2 1JQ.

      "We welcome anyone and everyone who enjoys Sir Terry's works, or
      quite likes them or wants to find out more. We have had many
      visitors from overseas who have enjoyed themselves and made new
      friends. The discussions do not only concern the works of Sir Terry
      Pratchett but wander and meander through other genres and authors
      and also leaping to TV and Film production. We also find time for a
      quiz. The prize is superb. The chance to set the quiz the following
      month."

      And here be their March meet report:

      "I arrived late on and pretty tired on Monday having had a prior and
      more serious meeting to attend. I'm told that I missed Sandra
      completely. Monday seems a long time ago now but I recall launching
      into a rant about the onanistic tendencies of some writers shortly
      after I arrived. Eunice tells me that so far we have not generated
      many ideas for the Nine Worlds Geekfest. Please, if anyone thinks of
      anything or wants to get involved please let her know. Unfortunately
      most of the Drummers regulars are going to Wadfest the same weekend.
      Tim did a fiendish quiz but managed to avoid death threats. Everyone
      seemed pretty tired as is often the way at this time of year. I won
      and will therefore be doing the next one."

      For more info, contact BrokenDrummers@...

      or nicholls.helen@...

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      The Northern Institute of the Ankh-Morpork and District Society of
      Flatalists, a Pratchett fangroup, have been meeting on a regular
      basis since 2005 but is now looking to take in some new blood
      (presumably not in the non-reformed Uberwald manner). The Flatalists
      normally meet at The Narrowboat Pub in Victoria Street, Skipton, N
      Yorks, to discuss "all things Pratchett" as well as having quizzes
      and raffles.

      Details of future meetings are posted on the Events section of the
      Discworld Stamps forum:

      http://www.discworldstamps.co.uk/forum/

      Drummers Downunder meet on the first Monday of every month in Sydney
      at Maloneys, corner of Pitt & Goulburn Streets, at 6.30pm. The next
      meeting will (probably) be on Monday 1st April 2013. For more
      information, contact Sue (aka Granny Weatherwax):

      kenworthys@...

      Perth Drummers meet on the traditional date of first Monday of the
      month, from 6pm at The Vic Hotel, 226 Hay St, Subiaco. The next
      meeting will be on Monday 1st April 2013. For more information
      contact:

      Daniel Hatton at daniel_j_hatton@...

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) DISCWORLD GAMES NEWS

      11.1 GUARDS! GUARDS! NOW AVAILABLE DIRECT IN USA

      David Brashaw has some good news for USA fans of the Guards! Guards!
      boardgame:

      "Thank you to everyone who advised that our shipping to US customers
      from the UK directly is a bit costly. We are delighted to announce
      that we have just dispatched 100 copies of our 2012 edition
      including the updated rules have just been dispatched to Game Salute
      in the US. This will make it much cheaper for all of you."

      To order (price US$60.00), go to:

      http://shop.gamesalute.com/products/guards-guards

      http://www.facebook.com/GameSalute

      11.2 AFTER LARA CROFT COMES... DISCWORLD?

      From Digital Spy:

      "Rhianna Pratchett has revealed she is interested in seeing a new
      Discworld game. The Tomb Raider and Mirror's Edge writer said her
      father and series author Terry Pratchett have had offers for further
      games but are hoping for the right pitch to come along. 'The
      original games I remember them very fondly. Every now and again, dad
      gets approached about a game,' she told Digital Spy. 'Dad is a gamer
      himself so he has an idea what he'd like to see, and we've just not
      got the right developer with the right pitch come knocking yet. I
      think dad is waiting to be impressed by developers. I think there's
      a lot of potential there, and I know people have a lot of fond
      memories of all three Discworld games.' She added: 'Now you've got
      the reinvigoration of adventure games with things like Kickstarter,
      I think players are becoming more interested in that genre again.
      You never know what's out there; if the right developer, the right
      pitch came knocking, then I think it'd be something dad and myself
      would be interested in.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/b3lr54x

      A progress collage of Paul Kidby's fantastic giant Great A'tuin
      painting, which is now finished:

      http://tinyurl.com/aa23as8

      A fantasy casting "poster" for a possible film of Good Omens. I've
      suggested both actors myself from time to time:

      http://tinyurl.com/dxx39lp

      Lego HEX!

      http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/zgrredek/2013/HEX/hex_1.jpg

      A fine am-dram Detritus:

      http://tinyurl.com/a69da7g

      From the Australian Discworld convention 2013 – Oook!

      http://yfrog.com/scaled/landing/618/pgiaq.jpg

      ...and NADWcon's L-space t-shirt logo:

      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BFP6gjdCAAIXg83.jpg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE

      Blogger leftoverrecipes reviews Carpe Jugulum and Hogfather:

      "I consider Carpe Jugulum one of his best books. While making us
      laugh and building on every vampire cliche in the history of
      vampires, he also makes very astute and insightful commentary on
      kings, power, fear, overweight people, old people, and the human
      condition in general. Terry Pratchett is not called a satirist for
      nothing. Even though we don't have vampires, witches on broomsticks,
      Igors, etc. the Discworld is astoundingly similar to ours...
      Perfect. 5 stars

      "Hogfather... I just couldn't drum up the energy to care if the
      Hogfather was dead or alive, and what that world mean for the
      Discworld... However, at some point the book picks up and reveals
      the absolutely brilliant plan and the next time I read it I enjoyed
      it more... 4 stars"

      http://tinyurl.com/bbc8jxa

      Blogger abelle is very impressed by The Long Earth:

      "I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels and a newbie
      to his non-Discworld fare (Good Omens, Nation, both amazing) so I
      was psyched when I finally got started on this... On the surface
      it's a cool sci-fi concept but of course the authors play with it to
      the full extent of their abilities, deciphering the social, economic
      and cultural impacts of such an event. The story has a main
      character but it also often sidetracks to other people's stories
      relevant to the current goings on or discoveries happening in the
      main plot... The return to a system of bartering and living off the
      land feels almost idyllic from my job hunter's perspective..."

      http://abelle26.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/the-long-earth/

      Blogger jamesweber16 was blown away by Vimes in Guards! Guards!:

      I'll admit, I haven't read much Terry Pratchett prior to this. Truth
      be told, Good Omens was the only other thing of his that I had read,
      and he didn't even write all of that one (although I'm betting he
      did the funny parts). So I can tell you now that I wasn't the least
      bit prepared for what I was about to experience... I was intrigued
      with Captain Vimes' as a caricature of the detective. I seem to
      remember Raymond Chandler describing the detective as '...a common
      man, and yet an unusual man... He must be the best man in his world,
      and a good enough man for any world...' (The Art of Murder). Now
      compare that to Captain Vimes, and it seems like what he should have
      said was: a common man if an unusual man... It must be the best
      world for this man because he's not good enough for any other
      world... Ok, maybe that is a little harsh, but I think we understand
      that the humor in Vimes' character comes from his inability. He
      wouldn't be right for any other story. However, when we consider
      the type of city represented by Ankh-Morpork (strip away all the
      humor and see what we are really dealing with. Ankh-Morpork is a
      pretty grim place), it seems that everything Chandler describes is
      true about Vimes..."

      alligatorsandaneurysms.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/guards-guards/

      Blogger The Lady Sanctuary recalls when she "attacked" Sir Pterry
      with biscuits:

      "...my father got an email from someone in TCD (Trinity College
      Dublin, full `official' name – The College of the Holy and
      Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth near Dublin) where he worked
      saying that Terry Pratchett was receiving an honorary doctorate of
      English and there were limited tickets available to go and see him
      give a talk. Somehow (Probably through dark magics) my father got me
      two tickets. Now believe it or not, I had barely any friends at the
      time who were into Terry Pratchett at the time, and I ended up with
      a choice of two, one of my best friends or the lad I was dating. I
      ended up given them to Nadia, a choice I never regretted seeing as
      me and her had a brilliant time, and me and the lad broke up not
      long after.

      "The night before I was going up to Dublin, I did some baking and
      stayed up most of the night painting an ice cream box to put the
      biscuits I'd made into. I painted it, painstakingly and quite
      impressively for the lack of artistry I generally showed, with
      things from the Discworld, there was the Luggage, Rincewind's
      'wizzard' Hat, the Discworld itself, and something else that
      fails to spring to mind. Biscuits boxed and bagged along with a
      letter I wrote Sir Terry and a bunch of books in my bag I was ready.
      The talk was brilliant, when I saw Terry Pratchett talk a second
      time his PA had to give most of the talk as Terry's Alzheimers had
      progressed further. But when I saw him in 2008 he was brilliant. But
      the point of our story comes at the end of his talk. He'd finished
      the talk and was getting ready to walk out down the central aisle.
      There was going to be a wine reception in The Long Room afterwards
      but it was unclear whether Terry Pratchett would be there, I got
      very worried that this was my only chance ever to give the biscuits
      to Terry Pratchett, As he walked out I asked Nadia if I should give
      it to him then, and playings devil's advocate she said yes. I ran
      across a row of chairs and jumped into the aisle in front of him,
      holding out the bag saying 'I made you cookies!', he smiled and
      laughed, saying "I suppose I'd better give you a kiss then!"
      and kissed me on the cheek, before walking out...."

      http://tinyurl.com/bfsytc7

      Blogger Sherrie Palmer gives a rave review of Nation:

      This is unlike any other book I've read and very different from
      Pratchett's Discworld series books. There is still a bit of his
      wonderful humor in this book which I was happy to see. I'm not
      sure why this is classified as a YA book except that the main
      character is a teen but this is not a book about teens. It's a
      book about people and how they interact with the world they live in
      and each other. And it's a book about people looking closely
      inside themselves without being heavy or preachy... There are untidy
      grandfather birds that are native to the island and a parrot that
      survived the shipwreck. There are voices of ancestors and there are
      other people who begin to trickle onto the island. There are
      cannibals, royalty and sharks. This is a colorful, wonderful world
      that I didn't want to leave..."

      sherriepalmer.wordpress.com/2013/03/09/nation-by-terry-pratchett/

      Blogger Satis was unexpectedly awestruck when watching the Hogfather
      telefilm:

      "The story (as told by the film) was confusing and disjointed, which
      is something that can often happen when a complex novel is adapted
      to the screen (see The Lord of the Rings), but this actually
      didn't detract, but rather added, to the sense of darkness and
      confusion of the story itself. The production, for a TV miniseries,
      was phenomenal, from the CGI to the sets and costumes to the
      direction itself. The acting was of course first-rate, given that
      David Jason, David Warner and Tony Robinson were involved; however,
      it was the utterly terrifying performance by Marc Warren that really
      stole the show... His embodiment of an untainted, childlike insanity
      is so real that I was frightened merely watching him. The tone of
      innocent curiosity Warren puts into his voice clashes so violently
      with the words and actions of this psychopath has the effect of
      knotting the stomach on sight – you can't tell if he's going
      to laugh, or laugh and kill you. I was hoping this would be good,
      but I was taken aback: it is one of the most astonishing pieces of
      film work I've seen for television, and it will certainly be added
      to the canon of festive films in our household..."

      http://satiswrites.com/2013/03/08/movie-night-hogfather/

      Blogger beardedhat revisited Witches Abroad:

      "I remember picking up my first Terry Pratchett book 15 years ago.
      At that time I was 11 years old and was just discovering my library
      at my new school. Over the course of the next five or six years, I
      made it my mission to read every discworld book there was. The
      variety of the characters, the intricacy of the stories that were
      woven by Pratchett, the humor that was spread so liberally
      throughout the books just amazed me. And witches abroad is one of
      his best... Reading this book was a little trip down memory lane for
      me, I have to admit I haven't really read any of Pratchett's
      books for quite a while. Being absolutely obsessed with these books
      as a teenager they were something that I just sort of grew out of.
      The skill of Pratchett's writing can not be questioned, but the
      style of the writing, the witty parodies that his books are drenched
      in now just feel a little childish to me. That's not to say its
      not a great book, because it really is. Its got everything needed to
      make a great story and I really enjoyed reading this book again.
      Pratchett writes amazingly entertaining books and in the Discworld
      he has invented a truly special, unique world..."

      http://tinyurl.com/aj3qvzs

      In a long and well-written post, blogger Wyrd Smythe discusses his
      love and analyses of Discworld:

      "You see, each Discworld novel tends to be three things: a damned
      good and very funny adventure; an insightful commentary of society;
      and a treatise on a particular aspect of society. I just mentioned a
      number of such topics. Racial diversity is a common theme, as you
      might imagine in a place such as Discworld. Pratchett also
      frequently takes on religion and politics... I'm not being
      hyperbolic when I say these are my favorite favorites. These would
      be my "desert island" books. These are books I read over and
      over for the sheer joy of them..."

      http://logosconcarne.com/2013/03/02/the-colour-of-magic/

      Blogger rstong offers a delightfully articulate review of Dodger:

      "Pratchet confidently jumps from the initial source material, the
      well-known 'Artful Dodger' from Oliver Twist, to create something
      wholly new and exciting. Like many of Pratchett's work, this book
      centers around the narrative nature of truth. What matters is not
      the facts, whispers the story, but what the story does for others.
      The moral is simple: People 'read into life what they want', but
      those who know this can work tiny – but not insignificant –
      miracles. Well known characters and semi-fictional people, whether
      famous or infamous, appear out of the London fog and create the
      feeling of dirty yet paradoxically vibrant city and time.
      Introducing the much less contemporary author Charles 'Charlie'
      Dickens as a reporter and general busybody, Dodger puts a well known
      author right next to a character bearing eerie similarity to one of
      his creations. The result is like watching two wolves sizing each
      other up. The chemistry between the two is hilarious, surprising,
      and somewhat tense... While Pratchett romanticizes the all-too-
      prevalent filth and poverty of Victorian London, it is never out of
      a deluded ignorance or fantasy, but rather so the story can show all
      manner of people and situations. Dodger is a wonderful tour guide
      throughout this world; a clever, unapologetic seventeen-year-old who
      does what he can when he can to survive and maybe help others get
      along too. As a book, Dodger follows its title character's
      example, slumming through the muck just to find that small bit of
      shine, that small bit of forgotten change..."

      alittlemoreartsy.wordpress.com/2013/02/23/london-fog-and-shine/

      The Labyrinth Librarian is back with a review of Thud!:

      "THUD! is one of the Vimes Books, which puts it very high in my
      estimation. Of all the characters he's written, I like Vimes the
      best. Granny Weatherwax comes a close second. Basically I really
      like the old, cynical, take-no-shit characters that take the world
      into their own hands to do the Right Thing, no matter the cost to
      themselves... The themes of this book are varied. There is, of
      course, the theme of culture clash – how much should one be
      allowed to keep the culture one grew up in? How many concessions
      must you and society make in order to keep everyone happy? The
      answer, in case you were curious, is hard to pin down, but it is
      most certainly not 'none'. It's also about fatherhood, though
      that's more of a character-building theme for Vimes. He has a son
      now, and he has dedicated himself to his boy. Every night at 6:00,
      he reads their favorite book, Where's My Cow to his son (a book
      that you can also buy, coincidentally enough). He cannot – must
      not be late for this. Not even by a minute, and certainly not for a
      good reason. Because if you're willing to break a promise for a
      good reason, pretty soon you'll be breaking it for a bad one. And
      it is this kind of personal, rock-solid integrity that keeps me
      coming back to Vimes..."

      http://thelablib.org/2013/02/21/review-215-thud/

      ...and finally, blogger Jonathan Feinstein returns to review the
      tCoM/tLF audiobook:

      "I have mentioned before that my favorite reader of Terry
      Prachett's books is Stephen Briggs. However, Nigel Planer is no
      slouch at reading audiobooks either. He uses intonation more often
      than vocal pitch and timbre to differentiate characters, but it
      works. A listener should never have trouble being able to tell one
      character from another. My only complaint is that he seems to read a
      bit too quickly. I have complained about that before and I did not
      know if his readings were speeded up digitally or else he just
      speaks faster than average. Unlike the readers I have reviewed in
      the past I find I can keep up with Mister Planer, but even so I feel
      like he was rushing me through what are among my most favorite
      books. All told these two stories have the right to be called modern
      classics of both fantasy and parody. And while I did feel rushed,
      Nigel Planer's readings detracted little from my enjoyment of
      them. Both are recommended."

      http://tinyurl.com/a7tnapv

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      14.1 A SPECIAL FUNDRAISER

      "Sir Terry Pratchett will lead an evening of literature, poetry and
      spoken word on Tuesday 30th April at the Union Chapel, Islington in
      support of Dignity in Dying. The event features Sir Terry Pratchett
      & Rob Wilkins, Andrew Motion, Joe Dunthorne (Submarine), Luke Wright
      (Saturday Live), Deborah Moggach (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel),
      Janet Suzman DBE, John Osborne (Radio Head), Susan Hampshire OBE and
      is being hosted by Yanny Mac. The event will also include readings
      of poems by Carol Ann Duffy and George Szirtes (T.S Eliot Prize) and
      will finish with a Sir Terry Pratchett Q&A. All proceeds from ticket
      sales will go towards Dignity in Dying's campaign to change the law
      on assisted dying."

      When: 30th April 2013
      Venue: Union Chapel, Compton Terrace Islington, London
      Time: 7:00 PM
      Tickets: £23 advance booking + booking fee
      Entry: Under 16s accompanied by an adult

      "If you'd like to submit a question for Sir Terry Pratchett's Q&A
      section please send it to jo.cartwright@... with
      your name. There won't be time to ask all questions, but we will try
      to cover as many as possible."

      The Union Chapel is a "liberal, inclusive, non-hierarchical, and
      non-conformist", well known for nonreligious good works in the
      community. For more information, and to purchase tickets to the
      event, go to:

      http://tinyurl.com/bxm46tv

      14.2 RESEARCH REPORTS

      From both halves of the Roundworld globe. In the UK:

      "British researchers have developed a test to detect Alzheimer's
      disease in its earliest stages. It works by looking for a
      combination of "markers" in the blood which are different in healthy
      people and those with the disease. Delegates at the Alzheimer's
      Research UK Conference heard that the University of Nottingham is
      now developing a quick and easy test to do in clinics. It could mean
      much earlier diagnosis and better treatments, they said. The test
      uses some proteins that have been strongly linked with Alzheimer's
      disease, such as amyloid and APOE.

      "...through careful analysis of blood from people with the disease,
      as well as those with early-stage memory problems, the researchers
      detected some other markers that were suggestive of the disease.
      Most notably, some proteins related to inflammation seem to have
      been added to increase the power of the test... Dr Eric Karran,
      director of Research at Alzheimer's Research UK, said: "Giving
      people with dementia an accurate diagnosis is not always easy, and
      so building up our armoury of diagnostic techniques is vital. While
      there is still some way to go before a test like this could become
      available, the results are promising...'"

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21712349

      ...and in Australia:

      "A world-first breakthrough has allowed Melbourne researchers to
      diagnose Alzheimer's 15 years before symptoms strike, offering hope
      of avoiding dementia. The discovery gives drug companies a target to
      aim for as they search for a cure to Alzheimer's. A team from the
      Austin Hospital has tracked the build up of a waste protein called
      amyloid, discovering levels that can be detected accumulating in the
      brains of those who will go on to suffer dementia 15 years before
      they suffer extensive memory loss. Speaking from an international
      gathering of Alzheimer's disease experts in Florence yesterday, lead
      researcher Prof Christopher Rowe said the breakthrough meant doctors
      and researchers now knew who to target with emerging anti-dementia
      drugs. 'If somebody was going to get Alzheimer's disease at 70 years
      old, our study shows that process would actually start when they
      were 40, and by the age of 55 we would be able to pick it up on our
      amyloid PET scans, which show it building up in the brain,' Prof
      Rowe said. 'The hope is that if we get in early and get people on
      these drugs it will stop the build up and stop them experiencing
      dementia.'

      "Publishing results of a study of 1000 people in Melbourne and Perth
      in leading journal The Lancet Neurology yesterday, the Austin found
      levels of the protein build up could be detected using PET scans 15
      years before it took a toll on sufferers. While the high cost of PET
      scans makes them unsuitable as a routine Alzheimer's screening test,
      Prof Rowe said blood tests were now being worked on to measure
      accumulating levels of amyloid. Several drugs are already being
      trialled to reduce the build up of amyloid in the same was
      cholesterol busting tablets work. But by the time an individual's
      Alzheimer's symptoms are present it has previously been too late for
      the proposed drugs to have a significant impact. Prof Rowe said the
      new screening technique would finally pinpoint those who might
      benefit from the drugs being tested..."

      http://tinyurl.com/9wfhqhj

      And that's it for now. I'm afraid our resident horoscopers are on
      holiday (what, you thought it was me?) and might not be sending in
      anything this month, but if it happens, it happens. If not, enjoy
      your Easter hols and a very happy spring equinox to all (except for
      our readers in Fourecks and the Land of Fog; to them we wish a happy
      *autumnal* equinox).

      And an extra special thank-you to Newshound Asti and to Colin Smythe
      for their invaluable assistance. See you next month!

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...