658WOSSNAME -- Early edition -- March 2013

    Mar 3 10:51 PM
      EARLY EDITION
      March 2013 (Volume 16, Issue 3, Post 1)

      01) EDITOR'S NOTE
      02) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      01) EDITOR'S NOTE

      Yes, it's only the first week of the month, but there are some
      things that don't want to wait!

      First, a reminder for those of you in BBC radio territory: Radio 4's
      four-episode production of Eric, starring Mark Heap as Rincewind,
      starts this week – at 11pm on Wednesday the 6th of March, to be
      precise. (The remaining three episodes go out on the 13th, 20th and
      27th). Also, Radio 4 Extra is offering their production of Guards!
      Guards! from the 4th to the 11th of March in the form of nightly
      broadcasts, which will then be available for the next seven days on
      BBC iPlayer. Get your ears on:

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r0zb9

      Also in this (very) early and (very) short issue, some news and an
      interview of note, and a review of a Discworld play – by the
      Creator of Discworld himself! Read on...

      – Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S – AND RHIANNA

      From Lynsey, this announcement:

      Sir Terry Pratchett will lead an evening of literature, poetry and
      spoken word on Tuesday 30th April at the Union Chapel, Islington in
      support of Dignity in Dying. The event features Sir Terry Pratchett
      & Rob Wilkins, Andrew Motion, Joe Dunthorne (Submarine), Luke Wright
      (Saturday Live), Deborah Moggach (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel),
      Janet Suzman DBE, John Osborne (Radio Head), Susan Hampshire OBE and
      is being hosted by Yanny Mac. The event will also include readings
      of poems by Carol Ann Duffy and George Szirtes (T.S Eliot Prize) and
      will finish with a Sir Terry Pratchett Q&A.

      All proceeds from ticket sales will go towards Dignity in Dying's
      campaign to change the law on assisted dying.

      http://tinyurl.com/cgkvxvp

      Also on the subject of Pterry and Alzheimer's, a long and absolutely
      fascinating article/interview with Rhianna Pratchett about her
      reaction to her father's Alzheimer's diagnosis and about growing up
      with imaginative parents:

      "'I could hardly breathe. All I wanted to do was just get out of
      that car and back to my flat. I was flying to the U.S. the next day
      to work for two weeks and I remember telling Dad that I'd cancel it,
      but he told me there was no point. "There's nothing you can do about
      it," he said. "If you stay, it isn't going to change anything."...
      Sir Terry has a cult following of millions. His fans reacted with
      genuine emotion — and many contacted Rhianna directly. 'A week
      after he told me, the story broke and headlines started appearing,'
      she says. 'People emailed from all over the world, expressing their
      shock and upset or offering support. The news your parent is sick is
      devastating in itself, but having the whole world know is
      surreal.'...

      "'Funnily enough, Mum was the real storyteller. She'd invent
      wonderful mystical lands to distract me from having my hair
      washed. When I was really young, Dad wasn't that well known. I don't
      remember when I realised he was a writer, but I do remember him
      leaving his full-time job at the Central Electrical Generating Board
      to concentrate on books. His leaving present was a clock, somehow
      driven by the acid from lemons, and I was more impressed by the
      clock than the fact that Dad was now a successful author...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/ahl4ocf

      Two reviews of Studio Theatre, Salisbury's production of Going
      Postal. Reviewer Hannah White of Salisbury Journal talked to Sir
      Pterry, who had just seen the play:

      "'I LOVED it,' Terry Pratchett declared after watching the fantastic
      stage adaptation of his novel Going Postal at Studio Theatre,
      Salisbury. I think Sir Terry summed up what everyone was thinking,
      judging by the huge round of applause at the end of the opening
      night on Wednesday.The lively production, adapted by Stephen Briggs,
      is about the resurrection of Ankh-Morpork's postal service.It is a
      tale of love, revenge and stamps. There was a large cast and some
      very strong performances, particularly Stew Taylor as postmaster
      Moist Van Lipwig... Although Sir Terry often goes to see plays based
      on his novels, it was the first time he has been to see Going Postal
      performed by an amateur dramatics group. He said: 'Some of them,
      like this one, have been done to such perfection. This was so well
      done that I wish I had written a better book...'"

      http://tinyurl.com/c2y7d22

      In the Southern Daily Echo, reviewer Ham Quentin also had the
      highest praise for the production:

      "Terry Pratchett's novel, adapted by Stephen Briggs, is lovingly
      brought to life by director Alistair Faulkner and Studio Theatre's
      skilled company of actors... The parallels with our own time are
      obvious, but here our loveable antihero is allowed to triumph.
      Costumes, make-up and special effects are very good..."

      http://tinyurl.com/crapyyr

      And last but not least, some lovely iconographs from the recent
      world stage premiere of Stephen Briggs' adaptation of Dodger:

      http://www.studiotheatreclub.com/Gallery.html

      We'll be back later this month with more news, reviews and all the
      rest. Until then...

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...