589WOSSNAME – November 2010 – Part 1 of 1

    Nov 25, 2010
      November 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 11)
      WOSSNAME is a free publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger (who still ate'nt dead)
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) PROFESSOR SIR TERRY PRATCHETT...
      04) ...AND THE PROFESSOR'S FIRST LECTURE
      05) HOGSWATCH IN WINCANTON
      06) GALAXY LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
      07) SIR PTERRY'S ARMIGEROUS NOW
      08) THE ISWM FAN EXPERIENCE
      09) THE FOLKLORE OF PRATCHETT AND SIMPSON
      10) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS: POPULAR AS A POPULAR THING
      11) ANIMATED MORT?
      12) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS
      13) GOING POSTAL TO AIR IN FOURECKS NEXT MONTH?
      14) REVIEWS: I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT
      15) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      16) CONVENTION NEWS
      17) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS
      18) ONLINE DISCFEST
      19) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS
      20) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      21) ROUNDWORLD TALES: THE TANTY, AN UNCONSIDERED TRIFLE
      22) ROUND-UP: PTERRY AND DISCWORLD IN THE BLOGOSPHERE
      23) LATE BREAKING NEWS: RTS AWARDS 2010

      01) QUOTES OF THE MONTH

      "Until recently, I couldn't even spell academic and now I are one!"

      – Professor Sir Pterry, on his inaugural lecture

      "You need to know about my pants."

      – the learned Professor, ibid.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) A LETTER FROM YOUR EDITOR

      There are some wonderful things in this month's issue, starting
      first and foremost with Professor Sir Pterry's spectacular entry
      into the world of academia. How wonderful to think that the obscure
      fantasy writer who was once known only to a subculture of fans is
      now a lecturer at one of the world's foremost universities – and
      that in fifty years' time, some very fortunate former students will
      look back with fond memories on their favourite professor, that
      curiously inspirational fellow with the funny hat!

      On behalf of WOSSNAME, I'd like to wish a very happy 50th birthday
      to Good Omens co-writer Neil Gaiman, who passed that milestone on
      the 10th of November. He's no Terry Pratchett, but he does make a
      rather good Neil Gaiman.

      And now, on with the show...but first...

      *A NEW (DISC)WORLD ORDER*

      When WOSSNAME founder Joe Schaumburger (who still ate'nt dead, yay!)
      handed me the editorship a number of moons ago, I decided it was
      best to retain the style and format that was already established.
      Joe comes from the old school of fandom – from the days when fans
      met furtively in the back rooms of pubs and fanzines were a few
      pages stapled together, printed in purple mimeograph ink, and
      dependent on the use of ALL CAPS for emphasis – and indeed, that
      was how WOSSNAME began, and the online version mirrored that look:
      multiple "pages" and an abundance of uppercase. But as I mentioned
      briefly last month, Yahoogroups has now massively increased its file
      size per post limit, making it possible to send each month's issue
      as a single post. Given how many "Help, part __ never arrived, can
      you please re-send?" letters I get in any given month, I'm going to
      make the change... which means that from now on, O readers, you
      won't miss any parts. You'll be getting all of WOSSNAME or none of
      it – hopefully the former.

      There's another change as well. WOSSNAME's inimitable guest
      Astrologer, Fernando Magnifico of Brindisi, is very good at his job.
      But like many great artistes, he often finds himself at the mercy of
      his moods and the vicissitudes of inspiration, and as a result, each
      month's issue is held back, sometimes for several days, while your
      Editor fumes quietly in the corner waiting for Fernando to finish
      and send the hedgehogging horoscope. So as part of the experimental
      new format, your monthly Discworld Horoscope will arrive as a
      separate post. There, the old excitement of Will Parts Go Missing
      carries on!

      So here we go, onwards and (we hope) upward. Now read on for some
      most excellent Pterry news...

      — Annie Mac, Editor

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) PROFESSOR SIR TERRY PRATCHETT...

      ...has made quite a splash in his role as Trinity College Dublin's
      newest academic.

      In The Journal (Ireland):

      "Despite Pratchett's depictions of the 'Unseen University' in
      his famous Discworld series the author himself never attended third
      level education, gaining just one A level as he left school – but
      now that he's part of the academic staff at Trinity, 62-year-old
      Pratchett will get a taste of university life..."

      http://tinyurl.com/36ffcld

      John Kennedy writes, at Silicon Republic:

      "Pratchett's close relationship with the university began in
      December 2008 when he was conferred with an honorary degree, and
      since then the relationship has deepened, with Colin Smythe,
      Pratchett's literary agent, donating a complete back catalogue of
      Pratchett's published translations to the college library in
      2009... He is currently the second most-read writer in the UK, and
      seventh most-read non-US author in the US..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3yhs2uz

      Irish online magazine Joe covers the story and includes a nicely
      professorial photo:

      "'Professor Sir Terry Pratchett brings a new depth of creative
      genius to our cohort of distinguished international adjuncts in our
      School of English,' commented Provost John Hegarty. 'His
      contribution to the student experience and to the wider Trinity
      experience will be absolutely unique and we are delighted to have
      him on our staff.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2c4e8vs

      In The Spoof, Fergus McCarthy is serious for a change...not:

      "Professor Pratchett has not signed a formal contract of employment
      at the University, preferring instead to end his tenure at the
      college when, in his own words: 'I've robbed all my own books back
      from the library and burned all that Harry Potter shit at the main
      gates.'"

      http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s3i85560

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) ...AND THE PROFESSOR'S FIRST LECTURE...

      ...which was surely the most unusual – and charming – ever given
      at Trinity. Read on to find out just *how* unusual and charming it
      was...

      First, a piece by journalist Arminta Wallace, who attended the
      inaugural lecture and wrote in The Irish Times:

      "He is by turns cranky and querulous and laugh-out-loud funny.
      Dressed in priestly black, his white beard glowing under the
      fluorescent light, he's very English and, at least to begin with,
      palpably hostile. It's like coming face to face with a quixotic,
      real-world mixture of George Bernard Shaw and Grandad from Only
      Fools and Horses... Then, almost dreamily, Pratchett starts to
      recall how he got into the fantasy business. And the magic begins.
      He got into writing, he says, because he was a reader... 'I read
      anything that's going to be interesting. But you don't know what it
      is until you've read it. Somewhere in a book on the history of false
      teeth there'll be the making of a novel.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2d2b5pr

      And then...

      See the Author in full educatorial flood! Thrill to witty aphorisms
      and secret information! Or just sit back in front of your Hex screen
      and enjoy watching Professor Sir Pterry's first lecture, in which he
      gets the audience laughing, does a comedy turn with the Dean, gives
      star billing to the roadie, and receives a unique gift from John
      Rocha, haute couturier and Ireland's premier millinery designer:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2FZ_0d3yEI

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) HOGSWATCH IN WINCANTON

      The Cunning Artificer hath written:

      HOGSWATCH 2010 A Call To Arms!

      Join us for our annual festive celebration on November 27th–28th in
      Wincanton, Somersetshire. Meet like-minded folk and celebrate the
      Discworld at this relaxed and informal gathering for fans of the man
      in the hat.

      This year we are celebrating Hogswatch in military style, and your
      Discworld Emporium needs YOU!

      So whether you fancy yourself as a member of the Borogravian Army, a
      member of the City Watch Special Constabulary, or perhaps a starlet
      set on entertaining the troops – don your uniforms, polish your
      boots, and salute the Hogswatch spirit!

      There will be an inspection of troops, a Borogravian Camp Concert,
      an auspicious ceremony or two, a Grand Charity Auction, plentiful
      rations of cake, and many more diverse entertainments for the
      battle-weary.

      Troops will find nourishment with the Officer's Mess Sausage
      Supper, taking place in various canteens around town on Saturday.
      Please note that spaces are limited and you will need to book and
      pay for your places by filling in a booking form (available to
      download from our website soon).

      The Cunning Artificer's Discworld Emporium will be open for a warm
      welcome and morale boost all weekend.

      DISC-LAIMER: The Discworld Emporium cannot guarantee freedom from
      air-strike by passing birds, shell-shock by the profanities omitted
      by a certain stout party, battle fatigue caused by a lengthy Thud
      game, or a road block on the A303.

      http://www.discworldemporium.com/pages/discworld-news.php

      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Discworld-Emporium/110497847377

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) GALAXY LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD FOR PTERRY

      In the recent 2010 Galaxy National Book Awards ceremony held at BBC
      Studios, west London earlier this month, Sir Terry Pratchett
      received a lifetime achievement award for in recognition of his
      services to the publishing industry:

      http://tinyurl.com/2dnomc3

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) SIR PTERRY'S ARMIGEROUS NOW

      Every knight needs his coat of arms, and here is the description of
      Sir Pterry's very appropriate one, as pronounced by Roundworld's
      Dragon King:

      The College of Arms, official repository of the coats of arms and
      pedigrees of English, Welsh, Northern Irish and Commonwealth
      families and their descendants, granted a coat-of-arms to Sir
      Terence David John Pratchett of Broad Chalke, Wiltshire on April 28:

      Illustrated left are the Armorial Bearings granted to Sir Terence
      David John PRATCHETT of Broad Chalke, Wiltshire, Knight, OBE by
      Letters Patent of Garter and Clarenceux Kings of Arms dated 28 April
      2010.

      The Arms are blazoned: Sable an ankh between four Roundels in
      saltire each issuing Argent.

      The Crest is Upon a Helm with a Wreath Argent and Sable On Water
      Barry wavy Sable Argent and Sable an Owl affronty wings displayed
      and inverted Or supporting thereby two closed Books erect Gules.

      The motto means "Do Not Fear the Reaper".

      http://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/Newsletter/026.htm

      ...and it looks like this:

      http://file770.com/?p=4643

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) THE ISWM FAN EXPERIENCE

      A message from Random House to Pterry fans:

      "To celebrate the publication of I Shall Wear Midnight, a very
      special hardback edition has been created just in time for
      Christmas, featuring a magical cover image made up of fans' faces.
      At the end of October, over 2000 of Terry Pratchett's fans submitted
      their picture for the chance to appear on the book's front cover.
      Perhaps you were one of them. The special edition is now available
      to pre-order exclusively from Amazon.co.uk ahead of publication on
      2nd December. The names of the fans featured on the cover are
      printed on the inside of the dust jacket. Hidden amongst the stock
      of this special fans' edition is just one copy which contains the
      signature of Sir Terry Pratchett himself."

      To pre-order:
      http://news.randomhouse.co.uk/go.asp?/bISB001/qBPV76/xZ86Q51

      [Editor's note: this edition is not available in the USA or
      territories reserved exclusively to its USA publisher.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) THE FOLKLORE OF PRATCHETT AND SIMPSON

      "On 26th August 2010 at the Annual Discworld Convention in
      Birmingham, Sir Terry and Jacqueline sat down to record a discussion
      on the topic of folklore and its significance to them. Also present
      to record the discussion were Routledge representatives Katie Brown
      and Julie Sutton. Routledge publishes Folklore, one of the earliest
      English-language journals in the field of folkloristics and the
      official journal of The Folklore Society..."

      Podcasts and transcriptions of this discussion are available for
      free download for all who subscribe to the www.tandf.co.uk RSS feed
      or newsletter.

      Also, there is a competition on the page to win a signed copy of
      Folklore (the magazine, not tFoD) and a year's free subscription.
      The competition closes on 1st December and can only be entered via
      email.

      http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/terrypratchett/

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      10) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS: POPULAR AS A POPULAR THING

      According to Locus Online, the HarperCollins paperback of Unseen
      Academicals is now the number one best-selling paperback, up from
      the ninth position last month after two months on the bestseller
      list. Must be all those pre-Hogswatch present-buyers:

      http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2010/Issue11_Bestsellers.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) ANIMATED MORT ON THE HORIZON?

      "Blue Sky Disney has revealed that Disney's next hand drawn animated
      film following Winnie the Pooh will be an adaptation of one of the
      books in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, and will be directed by
      Ron Clements and John Musker. The project is very early in
      development, since Disney has just recently secured the rights to
      it. These films take about three years to produce, so the film will
      not be released until 2013 at the earliest. However, since Disney's
      Reboot Ralph is farther along in production, that will probably be
      the 2013 release with the Discworld project more likely getting a
      2014 release."

      http://tinyurl.com/2fqj7v9

      "Animation gossips have claimed for a while now that directors Ron
      Clements and John Musker were at work preparing a new traditionally
      animated project to pitch. I've started hearing rumors that are
      truly unexpected – that the project they're boarding is an
      adaptation of Terry Pratchett's 1987 novel Mort. The book is the
      fourth in Pratchett's beloved Discworld series of comedic
      fantasies, and follows a young man looking for a job who gets an
      apprenticeship working for Death. Is this really what Ron & John are
      working on? We shall see. Consider it rumor for now. But if so I
      know a lot of people who will be pleasantly surprised."

      http://progresscityusa.com/2010/10/28/animation-updates/

      The news prompted some lively discussion on the Livejournal
      community known as L(J) Space, aka Discworld...

      speakr2customrs:
      Oh gods. This is a really bad idea.

      drakyndra:
      I'm torn between "This could be awesome!" and "This could be
      terrible!" I'm still not entirely certain how reliable this news is,
      though. How do you know? (I'm not saying it isn't, except did
      Hollywood execs look at Mort as a movie years ago, and it all fell
      through?)

      tillagnan:
      http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2010/10/animated-progress.html
      answers the "But is it true?" question simply with "Yes, kinda. I
      will say that the film does take place in the Discworld series which
      is where the Mort book (fourth in the line of books, btw) takes
      place, but remember that this is an adaptation that won't
      necessarily be literal (no film adaptation really is)." I still
      wonder however how reliable this all is. As long as there's no
      official word out there, it's all just a rumour to me.

      evilblacksheep:
      I'm not sure if i should rejoice or cry so i guess i'll just wait
      and see.

      astro_knight:

      I'm settling for "generally worried" (with a hint of "terrified")
      for now, since the news does seems rather iffy at this point.

      putri_nih:
      If it's Ron and John directing I have no qualms or worries about hte
      quality of the adaptation. However, a movie involving DEATH in a
      Disney movie...would that go well in the States?

      astro_knight:
      About as well as canned tuna would in a birthday cake.

      vampirate777:
      Just in considering the success of The Nightmare Before Christmas,
      which Disney has also been distributing for the last several years,
      I would say yes a family movie starring a man that looks like a
      skeleton could potentially do well here in the states. Witches,
      genies, fairies, monsters, voodoo masters, cyborgs; I think just
      about anything is fair game for Disney movies.

      niamh_sage:
      Nice weather we're having, lately.
      (ARGH ARGH ARGH)

      madfilkentist:
      I'll just try hard to ignore it.

      les_o_lie:
      NO NO NO. It was supposed to be Studio Ghibli doing WEE FREE MEN!
      [in my head, at least]

      meridian_rose:
      Could be fun :) I don't think any adaptation has yet really captured
      the essence of what makes Discworld so endearing and enduring and
      this will probably have both plus and minus points in its rendering
      of the story. At least this might focus on the humour because for
      books that do deal with "issues" and real history and mythology, the
      books are funny, laugh out loud so in the early ones. The live
      action versions of "Hogfather" and "Going Postal" seemed to miss
      this point almost entirely.

      adela_nightmoon:
      I think a lot about that is simply the medium being used. A lot of
      what's funny is in the narration of the story, and movies just don't
      have the require narrative element to really pull it off.

      les_o_lie:
      I thouroughly appreciate the LA Discworlds that I have seen
      [Hogfather and Colour]. I would honestly go so far as to say that
      Hogfather is one of the most acurate adaptations I've found in film.
      What is missing, however, is the presence of the Pratchett sideways
      humour that crops up, more often than not, in the narration--and we
      can't have the narrator talking all the time... with that voice, or
      those voices, I should say...it couldn't be all bad.

      missfahrenheit:
      I AM VERY EXCITED. I know when it comes out I will be inevitably
      heartbroken, for that is always the way with adaptations of books
      you love.

      the_reda:
      One the one hand: YAY animated discworld movie. On the other: this
      could go so so wrong

      vampirate777:
      So freaking excited! Disney movies and Discworld books are two of my
      favorite things ever. Yes, I understand that Disney deviates heavily
      from source material and that is a concern for some people, but I
      don't really care. Just because movies like Little Mermaid and
      Hunchback of Notre Dame were very different from their original
      stories that does not mean that they were not very good and very
      enjoyable unique movies. I for one would love to see a Discworld
      book get the Disney treatment.

      peeperoonie:
      Oh god. Mort again? I honestly can't see this turning out well. Why
      are American movie-makers so determined to take on a book that
      features something they hate showing in animation: death. Nightmare
      before Christmas doesn't count, because (while Jack Skellington
      was...well, a skeleton) no actually, blatantly dead/dying people
      were involved, Jack was not The Grim Reaper. There's no getting
      around that Mort is about Death getting himself an apprentice.
      However they jiggle the story, that's the backbone.

      The only screen adaptations of Discworld books that were worth my
      time so far have been the Cosgrove Hall ones back in the 90s *sigh*
      The live-action productions have made my family stare at me and ask
      "you read this stuff?? O_o".

      reanimatrix:
      I can see Maurice or Wee Free Men being made into Disney movies...
      holy cow, if done right, Maurice would be awesome. (Don't want to
      think about it done wrong!)

      rosa_ghjklx:
      This could be either awesome or a disaster. I'm sure it's going to
      look great, but Disney is known for inaccurate adaptations, fairly
      standard fairytale-esque plots and traditional happy endings, while
      Pterry subverts the hell out of everything, especially traditional
      happy endings. So a Disney movie based on a Pratchett book might end
      up not so much missing the point as not aiming at the point at all.
      Or it could get shot down in a couple of weeks when they decide to
      make Death the villain. But if that doesn't happen it could be good.

      singsonggirl:
      The article indicates that it probably won't be coming out until
      2014, so I don't know what you all are worried about. I mean, it's
      hard to watch a movie at the bottom of the ocean/floating in space
      amongst sploded earth-bits/while being anally violated by angry
      Mayan spirits who have no native word for 'lube.' So that's all
      solved then :)

      (srsly I'll probably just take it as a standalone work, like I do
      with every other anal violation adaptation of books I love.)

      quizzicalsphinx:
      The potential for disaster boggles the mind.

      hauntermooneyes:
      Ohhh dear. Oh dear. I really don't...I don't know if they can pull
      this off. Disney was terrible for so long after Lilo and Stitch that
      I'm still gunshy. Even The Princess and the Frog was only mediocre
      compared to their 1990-era stuff. I'm nervous about this.

      oxymoronic3:
      It has the potential to be all right, of course, and I don't like
      condemning things before they're out for the world to see. Then
      again... I can't see Disney doing a faithful rendition of a
      Discworld book, let alone Mort. I can't help but think that they'd
      be better off covering a Tiffany Aching book or Maurice.

      starwild:
      I dunno, Disney seems to be pulling its head out of its butt a
      little bit these days. Have you seen the trailer for the 2011 Winnie
      the Pooh? I seriously teared up at the nostalgia. If this trend
      continues, I could see a Disney animated Mort being
      great...depending on who leads the project.

      joansies:
      I love Disney. I love Discworld. Yet I have serious mixed feelings
      on this. Disney's movies are very sweet. They also have a tendency
      to bastardize...well, EVERYTHING they make into a movie (though I
      still super-love Beauty and the Beast.) My boyfriend's comment:
      "Pratchett must REALLY have Alzheimer's, to have sold Disney the
      rights to one of his novels."

      jesskat:
      When I first heard about this, my initial thought was "oh please
      dear God no". I love Disney animation, but I'm highly skeptical of
      their ability to take something so subtle and cynical and insightful
      as Pratchett's books and NOT completely eff it up. Binky is going to
      be the talking, hi-larious animal sidekick, Death is going to sing
      about how he wants more from life, and don't forget the
      merchandising. If this actually happened, they would merchandise the
      hell out of this. I don't think the world is quite ready for Granny
      Weatherwax keychains, Rincewind running shoes and Death in their
      Happy Meals.

      demoerin:
      Personally, all I want is for someone to lovingly animate the golden
      syrupy light of the Disc running over the landscape, because after
      all the times sunrise has been an intro, it deserves to be put into
      cinematography.

      whitepawn_alice:
      I wonder if Disney is interested in Mort, just because of the
      Princess character. Man, I'd give a limb for a proper animated
      adaption of Guards, Guards or Reaper Man. (because let's face it, if
      Guards, Guards was live-action, we'd probably get shoddy CGI
      dragons)

      silverinkblot:
      Disney, while in a slump for the past few years, does seem to be
      working it's way out of it, ESPECIALLY with John Lassiter now
      heading the animation department. The fact that it's going to be
      hand drawn raises my hopes even higher. And Disney isn't as cuddly,
      family/friendly as everyone likes to paint them - Nightmare Before
      Christmas isn't their only feature that got out of the box. Pirates
      of the Caribbean was rated PG-13 for a reason after all, not to
      mention some of their villains are the worst in cinema. And if they
      do deviate from the source material, that doesn't necessarily mean
      it will be bad...

      from http://community.livejournal.com/discworld/1029082.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) PTERRY AND ALZHEIMER'S NEWS

      12.1 DIPSOMANIA JUST MIGHT TRUMP DEMENTIA

      An article by Caroline Gammell in The Telegraph:

      "As part of his care, the 62-year-old is treated by Professor Roy
      Jones, director of the Research Institute for the Care of the
      Elderly (RICE) in Bath. He meets the professor once every six months
      to discuss how the disease is affecting him and his ability to live
      a normal life. 'I keep pointing out to Roy that brandy is in the
      British Pharmacopoeia,' Sir Terry told The Times magazine. 'So are
      stout and sherry, I believe. I drink enormously. It makes you feel
      better and feeling better is part of it.' Prof Jones has indulged
      the author's habit: 'Alcohol, moderate alcohol, is one of the
      things we would probably recommend for people in this situation. In
      general, what's good for the heart is good for the brain.'..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2vh2ot4

      12.2 ...AND A NEW TEST MIGHT ALSO HELP

      Early days yet, but according to researcher David Bunce, early pre-
      diagnosis by computer scan could be helpful in delaying the onset of
      Alzheimer's.

      "The simple procedure, which warns of the debilitating disease
      decades before symptoms show, brings the hope of routine screening
      for ­dementia in as little as two years. Carried out on a computer
      in a GP's surgery, the test could become as widely used as blood
      ­pressure checks. Those found to have a tiny piece of tell-tale
      damage to their brains could take preventative measures such as
      changing their diet and taking more exercise. Quicker detection
      would allow earlier treatment and, with the help of new drugs, some
      who test positive might never develop the disease...

      "Experts say that delaying the onset of Alzheimer's by five years
      could halve the number of people who die with the ­condition,
      currently a third of over-65s. At the moment, diagnosis is based on
      memory tests or expensive brain scans. Proof of the disease often
      comes only from examination of the patient's brain after death. By
      contrast, the computer procedure, based on a simple test of reaction
      times, would be quick and easy. Professor Bunce, of Brunel
      University, London, used brain scans to find tiny lesions, each
      smaller than a grain of rice, in the white matter of apparently
      healthy men and women aged 44 to 48. Around 15 per cent of the 428
      tested had the abnormalities, which occurred in the brain's memory
      hub. Although the research did not show that these people went on to
      develop dementia, the lesions were similar to those ­discovered in
      post-mortem examinations of Alzheimer's patients – and were found
      in the same part of the brain..."

      The full article, in The Daily Mail:

      http://tinyurl.com/2dtcmzd

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) GOING POSTAL FOR FOURECKS NEXT MONTH?

      According to rumour, UKTV Australia will broadcast Going Postal next
      month as part of their Christmas programming, with Part 1 scheduled
      for Christmas Eve at 8:30pm and Part 2 scheduled for Christmas Day
      also at 8.30pm. Unfortunately, every possible creative search of
      http://www.uktv.com.au fails to confirm (or refute) this. So those
      of you down in the Land of the Big Dry should keep an eye out for
      updates!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      14) REVIEWS OF I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT

      By Laurie Penny in Io9:

      "Tiffany Aching, the teenage witch who stars in Terry Pratchett's
      latest novel I Shall Wear Midnight, is in many ways the anti-Harry
      Potter. True, she's a precocious pubescent who gets to ride a
      broomstick and save the day, but the final installment of her four-
      novel series of adventures is no jolly tale of boarding school,
      wand-waving and chocolate frogs. In fact, it is highly likely that a
      book so savagely bleak as I Shall Wear Midnight has not been
      marketed to children since the days of Struwwelpeter... This is not
      in any respect a silly book. Yes, fairies are involved, but the Nac
      Mac Feegle largely steal sheep and start bar fights, like some of
      the more frightening wee folk of ancient legend. Pratchett is an
      incisive folklorist, and the Tiffany Aching series comes doused in a
      cold shower of British country arcana, of the sort that tends
      towards vigorous knob gags and nature red – or at least suspiciously
      brown – in tooth and claw. There is no room on the Discworld for
      wilting maidens in high turrets or the gooey pan-Celtic romanticism
      that oozes through much modern pulp fantasy..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3884r8b

      By Josh Roseman in Escape Pod:

      "Early on, we are shown just how well Tiffany has learned her craft
      from Granny Weatherwax, 'the most highly regarded of the leaders
      [witches] didn't have' ('Wyrd Sisters') when she has to deal
      with Seth Petty, who has beaten his pregnant teenage daughter so
      severely that she lost the baby. And there we have the first insight
      that 'Midnight', while being a YA novel and shelved as such in
      many bookstores, is not for the immature. The thing is, after having
      read the book, that sequence is the most graphic and adult in the
      novel. To me it served a similar purpose to Shepherd Book's death
      in 'Serenity' – a character will be killed off, to show how
      serious this is. There's a scene or two later in the book that
      reminds us, but it doesn't hold a candle to what Seth Petty did...
      If 'I Shall Wear Midnight' turns out to be the final Tiffany
      Aching novel, then I for one am satisfied with how her arc ends..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2vjyqf5

      ...and by Leslie Wright in Blogcritics:

      "The problem with witches is that most people remember the magic and
      not the everyday and mundane duties that they perform. Tiffany
      Arching is just such a witch... As her problems continue and she
      looks for solutions she sees the mark of this evil in every city and
      place she goes. Will she save herself and the witches from this
      darkness that is hunting and haunting her?... In I Shall Wear
      Midnight, Pratchett has developed a story with a chilling
      darkness..."

      http://tinyurl.com/3289lqx

      ...and Lindsey Losnedahl in the Las Vegas Review-Journal:

      "If you are a fan of fantasy and don't love Terry Pratchett you
      simply don't have a soul — or a funny bone. Readers across the
      world have gobbled up his novels by the millions... Pratchett
      concludes Tiffany's story with his latest release, 'I Shall Wear
      Midnight.' Tiffany has grown up a lot after all her years studying
      witchcraft, learning how to care for those in need. And now she's
      on her own as the witch of the Chalk. Well, not completely alone.
      Her old friends the Feegles are always close by... Beneath the humor
      of all his books are questions of morality and the human condition.
      For that, Terry Pratchett is a treasure..."

      http://tinyurl.com/25phdjz

      15.1 WYRD SISTERS IN THORPE

      It's a bit short notice here, but Thorpe Players are currently
      presenting their production of Wyrd Sisters, which continues through
      this Saturday.

      When: 24th-27th November
      Venue: Thorpe Village Hall, Coldharbour lane, Thorpe, Surrey TW20
      8TE
      Time: 8pm
      Tickets: £9 and £10 from the box Office (07923 583295) or on the
      door

      For more information, go to: http://www.tpts.abelgratis.co.uk/

      15.2 MORT IN AMSTERDAM

      The In Players are presenting their production of Mort – in
      English! – over the course of a fortnight next month. The company
      is Amsterdam's oldest English-speaking amateur theatre group, and
      their cast and crew are a real European allsorts; for example, Death
      will be played by an actor called Paddy O'Connell...

      When: 2nd - 4th and 8th - 11th December
      Venue: Het Fijnhout Theatre, Amsterdam
      Time: 8pm
      Tickets: 12 Euro (10 Euro for students, CJP, Stadspas)

      To book tickets, email reserveren.fijnhouttheater@... or
      fill out an online reservation form at http://www.hetfijnhout.nl

      http://www.inplayers.org/web/index.php

      15.3 CARPE JUGULUM IN MARYLAND

      The Robinwood Players of Hagerstown Community College, Hagerstown,
      Maryland present their production of Carpe Jugulum in the first
      week of December.

      When: Thursday 2nd – Sunday 5th December
      Venue: Kepler Theater, Hagerstown Community College
      Time: 8pm (Thursday through Saturday, 2pm (Sunday)
      Tickets: General admission $10, but HCC students, staff and faculty
      can attend for free with a valid ID.

      Tickets are available at the door, but can also be purchased in
      advance at the HCC Bookstore by calling 301-790-2800, ext. 271.

      For more information, contact director Dave Dull at
      dbdull@....

      http://www.hagerstowncc.edu/

      15.4 MASKERADE IN SOUTHWICK

      The Wick Theatre presents their production of Maskerade next month.

      When: December 8, 9, 10, 11 (Matinee on the 11th)
      Venue: The Barn Theatre, Southwick Street, Southwick, West Sussex
      BN42 4TE
      Time: 7.45pm (matinee at 2.30pm)
      Tickets: £9.50 and £10.50 (matinee £7.50)
      Box office: 01273 597094

      To purchase tickets online:

      http://www.wicktheatre.co.uk

      15.5 MASKERADE IN PRAGUE

      Lenka Weingartova, Vice-chairman of the Czech Terry Pratchett
      Fanclub, has a message for Maskerade lovers:

      "The Terry Pratchett Fanclub in the Czech Republic and Divadlo v
      Dlouhe Theater in Prague kindly invites you to the last performance
      of Maskerade. It will take place in February 2011 (the exact date
      has not yet been announced). Due to extremely demanding scenes of
      this performance and insufficient storage space of the reconstructed
      theatre building, Divadlo v Dlouhe has been forced to end its
      showing next year. So February 2011 will be the last chance to see
      Maskerade in this theatre."

      WOSSNAME will publish updates as soon as we get them!

      15.6 HOW NOT TO WRITE A REVIEW OF NIGHT WATCH

      In The Oxford Student's notoriously snarky drama reviews section,
      Matt Thomson-Ryder savages a campus production of Night Watch. The
      savaging is thorough, but Thompson-Ryder's review writing skills are
      so lax that I had to Google to be absolutely sure that what he was
      reviewing actually *was* Night Watch, as neither title nor any
      character names apart from Vimes were mentioned (the review's title
      is "Will it be alright on the Night?"), much less the venue or even
      whether the audience disliked the production as much as the reviewer
      did. One expects a better standard of journalism from those ivy-
      covered halls:

      "Discworld remains a favourite source to plunder for scripts –
      this time by Orielite Director and producer Luke Yiu. At this point
      in a review it's customary to give a short précis of the plot, but
      I have to admit that despite the (rather clunky) use of a narrator I
      still couldn't fathom it out... The choreography was stilted, the
      acting was wooden, and the whole thing lacked pace... There was a
      large cast of varied characters, but none of them really came to
      life; they weren't even one-dimensional, because you could only work
      out what one-dimension they were supposed to have when it was
      mentioned explicitly in the script... those of you who want to see
      it presumably like Pratchett, and presumably therefore already know
      the plot. The book itself might not be Mort, but it's still
      brilliant, witty and full of references to everything from Rembrandt
      to Les Miserables. Occasionally some of this wit shines through, as
      with a wonderfully quirky speech on 'L-Space', a reference to the
      'H-Space' or 'hyperspace' common in more traditional works of
      science fiction – except created exclusively by libraries. These
      instances were the exception though..."

      http://tinyurl.com/25mzzzg

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      16) CONVENTION NEWS

      16.1 NADWCON UPDATES

      November Newsletter

      Only eight months until we all gather together in Madison to
      celebrate all things Discworld! Hopefully this newsletter finds all
      of our members doing well.

      Memberships:
      The North American Discworld Convention 2011 is currently
      approaching a membership of 300! The convention committee strongly
      suggests you sign up now if you plan on attending the convention in
      Madison on July 8-11:

      http://www.nadwcon.org/Registration.html

      Why? Because on Dec. 1, membership prices will increase by $10. That
      means, for an adult membership, registration will be $85 instead of
      $75. Book early, save money!

      Some good news:
      For those of you that are still not 100% sure if you will be
      attending, but are worried about the NADWCon selling out early; we
      are happy to say that you can make a reservation without paying the
      full attending price! All those who purchase a Supporting Membership
      – $30, will automatically have an attending membership slot
      reserved for them. This slot will be held until March 1st 2011, so
      all supporting members have until then to Upgrade their registration
      (pay the remaining cost of an adult membership). Bear in mind that
      the price of registration may have gone up by then though. This will
      give those unsure of their travel or financial situation extra time
      to get things sorted out.

      Once March 1 rolls around all reserved slots that have not been
      upgraded will be made available for new attending members, and any
      new supporting memberships made after March 1 will not come with a
      reservation. In other words, Supporting Members who upgrade before
      March 1 are guaranteed an Adult Membership no matter how full we may
      be at the time! We appreciate your support, but we would still
      rather see you in person and we hope this helps.

      An announcement that we feel cannot be made often enough:
      Madison's Annual Art Fair on the Square
      ( http://www.nadwcon.org/Travel.html ) will be taking place during
      the same weekend as the NADWCon 2011. This is a HUGE event only one
      block away from the convention. It has music, food, and
      entertainment for all ages. It is something that we think you will
      really enjoy checking out while you are in Madison, but bear in mind
      that it attracts over a quarter of a million people! We strongly
      suggest booking your hotel stay early:

      http://tinyurl.com/23xu2ff

      Sleep? Never heard of it!
      We're also pleased to announce that the Seamstress' Guild will be
      hosting our After Hours Party Room at the convention, so don't
      expect to get much sleep! We are so pleased with this that we want
      to officially invite other guilds to also take part in our
      convention! Would the Thieves Guild like to host a four day
      Theft-O-Rama... er, I mean Scavenger Hunt? Would the guild of
      Assassins like to, um.... well, I am sure we can come up with
      something that will still result in all of us getting out of there
      alive. All interested guilds please contact nadwcon2011@...
      for more details. Don't let the Seamstresses have all the fun!

      Honored Guests:
      We are very pleased to announce an addition to our list of Honored
      Guests since our last newsletter. Discworld artist Stephen Player
      will be joining us in Madison. Stephen is the talent behind the
      artwork you see in The Illustrated Wee Free Men, The Illustrated
      Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic, The Discworld Mapp, and one
      of the covers to The Colour of Magic novel. Stephen has expressed
      interest in hosting an artist's workshop at our convention and we
      hope you are as excited as we are about learning from such an
      accomplished artist!

      And that's cutting me own throat:
      We also have a new addition to our Merchandise page
      ( http://www.nadwcon.org/Merchandise.html ) that is already proving
      quite popular. With the logo of the NADWCon 2011 being an owl, some
      of our committee came up with a little parody that we just couldn't
      resist. Did C.M.O.T. Dibbler really strike a deal with the The Pink
      Pussycat Club to create a chain of restaurants serving food that is
      hard on the taste-buds but with a waitstaff that is easy on the
      eyes? Maybe yes, maybe no, but that doesn't make our new Morpork
      T-shirts any less fun! Available for pre-order now, and a price that
      is a few dollars less than you will see at the convention!

      There can be only one... thousand!
      Care to have a little fun? Then you need to go to our website
      ( http://www.nadwcon.org/ ) and play our new game – Feegle Frenzy!
      Inspired by events that took place in Sir Terry's latest novel I
      Shall Wear Midnight. Don't worry if you haven't read it yet, the
      game will only spoil about one paragraph of the book. Feegle Frenzy
      is a simple, yet challenging bar room brawl between swarms of Nac
      Mac Feegle and one tiny constable! We hope you enjoy it, and special
      thanks to our Staff Artist, Ray Friesen for providing the voice
      talent.

      We finally caught him!
      The infamous Sto Plains con-man Moist Von Lipwig has been caught! Or
      rather a reasonable facsimile thereof. We would like to congratulate
      Kevin O'Shea, who will be playing Moist Von Lipwig during some of
      our convention programs in July. Thanks goes out to all of you who
      volunteered for the job. We wish you all could don the golden suit,
      but as you should know there is only one Moist. There is still much
      to do come July, so we will be more than happy to accept your help
      elsewhere.

      See you in Madison!

      Vivian Obarski – Online Coordinator
      Jon Lemerond – Vice Chair
      Josh Goes – Chair

      The North American Discworld Convention 2011
      July 8-11, Madison WI
      http://www.nadwcon.org

      16.2 CABBAGECON UPDATES

      The first-ever Dutch Discworld convention, now re-named Cabbagecon
      2011, has a new website! Check for updates, and a photograph of
      Pterry in a very homemade Cabbagecon tabard:

      http://www.dutchdwcon.nl/

      16.3 IDWCON 2011 NEWS

      If you missed the first official Irish Discworld convention last
      year, you can catch IDWCon on the second go. As membership is now
      open, it's best to register early to be sure, to be sure (and I'm
      allowed to say that because I'm Irish – Ed.).

      The convention will be held once again at the Falls Hotel in
      Ennistymon, on 4th-7th November 2011, and the Guest of Honour will
      be a certain Professor who was the GoH last time but wasn't a
      Professor yet...

      For more info, and to register, go to:

      http://www.idwcon.org

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      17) DISCWORLD GROUPS MEETING NEWS

      Remember that the London-based Broken Drummers group meets at the
      Monkey Puzzle, 30 Southwick Street, London, W2 1JQ on the first
      Monday of every month, with the next meeting being on 6th December.

      For more information, email BrokenDrummers@...

      http://www.steeljam.co.uk/brokendrummers/

      Also on the first Monday of every month, Sydney-based Fourecksian
      sister group Drummers Downunder meets at Maloneys on Pitt St from
      7pm onwards. The next meeting will be on 6th December. A good place
      to discuss next year's Nullas Anxietas III!

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      18) ONLINE DISCFEST

      When is a convention not a convention but still a convention? When
      it's on the internet, of course! Coming up next year in late Spring
      is "Disc Fest – a Discworld Fic and Art Fest", an online gathering
      of "gen, het, and slash". This will take place on the LiveJournal
      community known as L(J) Space, otherwise known as:

      http://community.livejournal.com/discworld/

      There will also be mirror communities here:
      http://community.livejournal.com/disc_fest/
      http://disc-fest.dreamwidth.org/

      For updates, community notices and sign-up information, join or
      follow these communities

      Any comments, suggestions, or questions should be directed to
      bethbethbeth [at] gmail.com or, she says, leave a note at the most
      recent disc_fest mod post.

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      19) DISCWORLD ARTS AND CRAFTS NEWS

      Here be a very excited announcement on PJSM Prints, possibly
      composed by Sandra Kidby but looking suspiciously like the text of
      a certain well-known anthropomorphic personification...

      "Wahoooooo! I HAVE FOUND A VERY SMALL NUMBER OF GREEBO PENCIL
      PRINTS. ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED IN 1995, THIS PRINT IS HIGHLY SOUGHT
      AFTER AND WOULD MAKE A FANTASTIC ADDITION TO ANY DISCWORLD
      COLLECTION."

      The Greebo pencil print is 790mm X 420mm and suitable for framing,
      and is priced at £65.00.

      Other Paul Kidby pencil prints still available include Leonard of
      Quirm (420mm X 297mm, £11.95), Death of Rats (420mm X 297mm,
      £13.95), Sight for Sore Eyes (a different Death of Rats portrait,
      210mm X 144mm, £7.95), three different Errol prints (Errol 1997,
      400mm X 175mm, £16.95; Errol, 420mm X 297mm, £13.95; and Total
      Whittle, 400mm X 175mm, £16.95), the Bursar (150mm X 315mm,
      £8.95), and Greebo Rising (150mm X 300mm, £8.95).

      http://www.paulkidby.com/pencilprints/index.html

      We own several signed Paul Kidby pencil prints, including Total
      Whittle Errol and the now no longer available portrait of the
      Librarian, and I have to say that these are exquisite pieces of
      work. Any of the above offerings would make a perfect Hogswatch
      present! -- Ed.

      The Hubble Space Telescope has lovely photographs of "thin galaxy"
      NGC 4452:

      http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap101109.html

      ...but it seems there's more to it than NASA is telling us:

      http://cheezburger.com/exitacademy/lolz/View/4152258560

      http://tinyurl.com/29fw9nj

      Another Discworld cake triumph – this time, Death Rides Out. There
      are nine photos showing the cake at various stages of assembly; go
      to the page below and click Next for each photo:

      http://tinyurl.com/2g57zh2

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      21) THE TANTY, AN UNCONSIDERED TRIFLE

      On Philip Wilkinson's English Buildings blog (which is quite
      wonderful – Ed.), a recent post about the 19th-century village lock-
      up in Wheatley, Oxon. The lock-ups pre-dated our modern police
      stations; the post elicited a comment exchange of interest to
      Discworld fans:

      Blogger Wartime Housewife said...
      Have I imagined this, or were these lock-ups sometimes called
      'tanties'?

      Blogger Philip Wilkinson said...
      I've not come across 'tanties' (or 'tanty') and can't find it in the
      OED, although I can imagine some beadle saying, 'We'll stick 'im in
      the tanty till 'e cools down,' or whatever. Maybe it's a dialect
      word.

      http://tinyurl.com/3x8k86o

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      22) ROUND-UP: PTERRY AND DISCWORLD IN THE BLOGOSPHERE

      Here be an essay by blogger FreePlayTherapy about Discworld books in
      general, Witches Abroad in particular, and why it's probably a good
      idea to read at least some of the novels in order:

      "I first stumbled on Sir Terry Pratchett years ago with Good Omens:
      The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter,Witch, which
      Pratchett co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. Pratchett has written roughly
      38 Discworld novels plus a number (a number that I can't come
      close to pinning down exactly) of adult sci-fi and fantasy novels,
      children's and YA novels, short stories and video games. Tell me
      if I left anything out. He's only 3 years older than I am and
      I'm just in awe..."

      http://tinyurl.com/26qxp44

      A review of ISWM by blogger Lisa Damian:

      "Despite the more chilling storyline, there is still a healthy dose
      of Pratchett's playful humor and imaginative characters. As with
      the other Aching Adventures, the Feegles had me laughing out loud
      throughout the book. My family has now incorporated certain words
      and phrases from the Feegle Glossary in the back of the book, such
      as "crivens" (a general swear word) and "waily, waily" (a
      cry of despair), which now crop up in our everyday speech when
      situations warrant a more Feegle-like approach...."

      http://tinyurl.com/2wwmcvw

      A brief review of Nation by blogger Maryann Fraser:

      "Today I finished listening to Terry Pratchett's NATION. The man
      is a genious. I just can't get enough of his humor, and what a
      story! So now when I mess up an illustration you will hear me
      cursing Locaha's name. My kids think I've been hitting the
      cooking sherry again..."

      http://tinyurl.com/36zkwjy

      A brief review of Unseen Academicals by blogger Pemberliegh:

      "Oh, Terry. Wizards, football, and satire. You really know how to
      tug a girl's heartstrings. I always enjoy a nice adventure into
      Discworld, so it is no surprise that I had fun with this one, is
      it..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2f8ufo5

      A post from blogger Lyrina, who's working her way through the entire
      Discworld series with a little help from L-space:

      "Even though the Tiffany Aching [novels] are technically
      children's books, they're not particularly...childlike.
      Especially I Shall Wear Midnight. The only difference I can see
      between those and the other Discworld books that I've read is that
      they don't take place in Ankh-Morpork. They're also...maybe less
      parody...and I would also say, less cynical, though they deal with
      serious themes. I loved the climaxes of The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full
      of Sky, and I Shall Wear Midnight. They're all beautifully
      written, tense, emotional scenes..."

      http://tinyurl.com/27pp8p7

      A review of Reaper Man by blogger Alex Willging:

      "What's nice about this story is that everyone, in their own way,
      gets to have a heroic moment or two. Death is heroic in his new
      "mortal" form, and again when facing down the would-be successor
      to his former position as the Grim Reaper. And then there's the
      wizard Windle Poons, his new friends from Ankh-Morpork, and his
      "helpful" colleagues from the senior faculty of Unseen
      University. They all prove their mettle (some having more mettle
      than others) against the sheer madness that overwhelms their city.
      It's a peculiar thing that Mr. Pratchett's achieved when you
      consider that he can make the Grim Reaper–long portrayed as an
      enemy of mankind–into a heroic figure..."

      http://alexwillging.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/reaper_man/

      A review of Nation by blogger The Girl in the Smiley T-shirt:

      "[Nation] is a book for children (but not just, like every other
      Pratchett's book for children), about what happens when you are
      the only survivor to a terrible event, and all the people you knew
      are all dead; about how you cope with finding yourself suddenly on a
      tropical island, after a shipwreck and the death of all the rest of
      the crew; is a book about religion, and about science; it's about
      selflessness and courage; about being in love, but missing the one
      time in your life that could have make it work, and moving on to do
      the things that you have to do. It's also about racism, and
      unmotivated cruelty, and a world that is almost like ours, but in
      fact not our own..."

      http://tinyurl.com/24fn3yj

      A short review of I Shall Wear Midnight by blogger Walkingunafraid:

      "This book leans more towards the satire side, with obvious lessons
      to be taken from events and people in the book. I would have liked
      more humor, but Pratchett's lessons are good ones for young adults
      and adults alike to take heed of. The fact that they are happening
      between witches, ghosts, kings, and farmers make it easier to read;
      Pratchett doesn't try to hit the reader over the head with
      preaching. Pratchett ends this series with a great set of sentiments
      society would do well to take note of. My only hope is that the
      characters end up in future Discworld books..."

      http://tinyurl.com/38cmuuq

      A review of Good Omens by Amy McKie:

      "Not only is the writing itself hilarious, it is full of various
      notes that are even funnier. For example, on page 298 it says that
      'the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.' This of course
      has an asterisk beside it to mark that there is a note at the bottom
      of the page relating to that... The book gives an examination of
      religion and blame and excuses. Crowley (the demon) and Aziraphale
      (the angel) have been on Earth together for so long that they've
      become friends. They work together and have a bit of an Arrangement
      where they keep each other up to date and help each other out. If
      one is going out of the way to a different area to do a job, they
      might as well save the other the trouble and do their work while in
      the area too, right? Ah the joys of teamwork! It turns out the
      adversary you know and work with might be more like you and have
      more in common with you than your superiors, they come to find..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2u88469

      ...and blogger Miss Page-Turner thinks you *can* judge a book by its
      cover, at least when it's a cover by Josh Kirby:

      "The book covers designed and created by Josh Kirby gave the
      characters and the places a whole different dimension. While Terry
      Pratchett and Josh Kirby might have had artistic differences, these
      covers definitely complemented Pratchett's mad genius. The stories
      and the art work defy description, so I'm not even going to
      try..."

      http://tinyurl.com/2cj5y3p

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      23) LATE BREAKING NEWS

      ROYAL TELEVISION SOCIETY CRAFT AND DESIGN AWARDS

      The Mob Film Company's production of Going Postal for Sky 1 has
      taken two prestigious awards this week in the Royal Television
      Society's Craft and Design Awards 2009/2010.

      The award for Music – Original Score went to John Lunn (Bucks
      Music Group), and rightly so, for Going Postal's charming and
      appropriate score:

      "Exceptional... The composer demonstrated a cleverness and guile
      working to an unbelievably tight budget to create this classy score
      that was packed with ideas and sounded fully high end. Brilliant!"

      The award for Photography – Drama went to Gavin Finney:

      "A perfect example of director and DOP in perfect harmony... with
      magical sequences that were technically extraordinary, as well as
      visually stunning."

      Nominations for Going Postal in the Craft and Design awards also
      included Simon Thomas, Reuben Barkataki, Zoltan Benyo and Zoltan
      Szarvasi (digital effects), and The Mob Film Company (production
      design for a drama). Congratulations to the winners, and also to
      the non-winning Going Postal nominees, on a job very well done!

      http://tinyurl.com/2fdp8t7

      Whew! You made it all the way to the bottom of the page...

      Thanks go as always to the invaluable Colin Smythe and various
      members of the BU faculty and students (I think there's at least one
      of those) for their tips, hints and links.

      Have you ever wondered what your favourite Discworld books look like
      in another language? I was amused to discover that L'Atalante,
      Pterry's French publishers, have released Unseen Academicals under
      the title of "Allez les Mages!", which in English soccer parlance
      translates roughly as "c'mon, the wizards!" (or more accurately in
      full terraces bellow, "Carn da Wizards!"). Allez les Mages! features
      artwork by Paul Kidby and includes free collectable UU footy cards
      – en francais, of course. Allez M'sieu Ridculle!

      To view an image of the French version artwork, go to:

      http://www.paulkidby.net/images/tp_promo.jpg

      And now it's time to start getting your Hogswatch decorations out of
      the attic, making and sending cards, and deciding who's been naughty
      and who's been nice. All *I* want for Hogswatch is a an extra tin of
      Newshounds...

      See you next month!

      The End. If you have any questions or requests, write:
      interact@...