540WOSSNAME -- January 2010 -- Part 1 of 3

  • granny_tude
    Jan 26, 2010
      JANUARY 2010 (Volume 13, Issue 1)
      WOSSNAME is a FREE publication for members of the worldwide
      Editor Emeritus (retd): Joseph Schaumburger
      Staff Writers: Asti Osborn, Pitt the Elder, Steven D'Aprano
      time)

      ====Part 1 -- ALL THE NEWS THAT FITS

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH
      02) LETTER FROM THE EDITOR
      03) PTERRY TO DELIVER DIMBLEBY LECTURE
      04) NT LIVE "NATION" CINEMA UPDATES
      05) NATION: BEST CHILDREN'S BOOK OF THE YEAR
      06) PTERRY -- AND NATION -- SEEN LIVE AT THE NATIONAL
      07) REVIEW: NATION LIVE AT THE NT
      08) NEW MICRO ARTS DISCWORLD FIGURINES
      09) AGNES NITT SINGS THAT FAMOUS ARIA
      10) DISCWORLD PLAYS NEWS
      11) GOOD OMENS: A HOT TOPIC
      12) REVIEW: THE "GODS TRILOGY"
      13) OPINION: THE SCIENCE OF MAGIC

      ====Part 2 -- MORE NEWS, REVIEWS AND SUCH

      14) CONVENTION NEWS
      15) POSSIBLE SIGHTING OF A NEW TIFFANY ACHING USA COVER
      16) IMAGES OF THE MONTH
      17) "NATION" REFERENCE IN A "HARD" NEWS ARTICLE
      18) REVIEW: UNSEEN ACADEMICALS
      19) PRATCHETT FAN FUND-RUNNING FOR ALZHEIMER'S RESEARCH
      20) UNSEEN ACADEMICALS: BEST SELLER FOR INDEPENDENTS
      21) NEW DISCWORLD GOODIES FROM PJSM PRINTS
      22) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      ====Part 3 -- HOROSCOPE, CONTINUED, AND CLOSE

      23) YOUR MONTHLY DISCWORLD HOROSCOPE

      01) QUOTE OF THE MONTH

      "Oh dear, I'm feeling political today. It's just that it's dawned on
      me that 'zero tolerance' only seems to mean putting extra police in
      poor, run-down areas, and not in the Stock Exchange."

      -- Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      02) LETTER FROM THE (ACTING) EDITOR

      Terry Pratchett, or to be precise, Terry Pratchett's books, first
      came into my life when I was a young university student with a
      science fiction fixation and a voracious appetite for reading. I
      read just about anything with a space ship or a dragon on the cover,
      and after two decades the details of most of them have faded. But I
      still remember the first time I laid my hands on a Discworld novel:
      it was "The Light Fantastic", and the oh-so-busy Josh Kirby cover
      caught my eye, and I still remember the moment when I knew I had to
      buy the book: it was the gag about the gods being powerless to act
      because they were engaged in an eons-long war with the Ice Giants,
      who had refused to return the lawnmower.

      Discworld humour has become significantly more grownup since then,
      much to the displeasure of the readers who think that Rincewind is
      the be all and end all of characterisation. Don't get me wrong, I
      love Rincewind as much as the next mad, obsessed fan who wants his
      own Luggage and a hat with WIZZARD written on it in sequins. But I
      want it all: I want the joys of plot, and character, philosophy and
      meaning, as well as jokes and puns. Reading Pratchett's newer works,
      I rarely laugh out loud like I used to in the Old Days. That's okay
      though, the humour is still there, it's just different. Quieter,
      more thoughtful, subtler, and leavened with deeper meaning and
      significance. Pratchett's writing has matured and developed a keen
      eye for the human condition. If we laughed at Rincewind, we learned
      about self-control from Granny Weatherwax, and the tension between
      power and freedom from Sam Vimes.

      I'm grateful for Pratchett's hard work, and grateful that I was born
      at the right time to enjoy it. He manages to show imagination,
      insight, plotting and characterisation while still being accessible
      and funny. Unfortunately, this means I find it harder and harder to
      read other fiction (with a handful of exceptions), because I find
      that they fall short of the high standard set by Pratchett. He has
      spoiled other writers for me!

      Oh well. I can always read Nation again.

      -- Steven D'Aprano, Acting Editor

      [Note: Annie Mac is on a holiday break. She aten't dead.]

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      03) PTERRY TO DELIVER DIMBLEBY LECTURE

      Sir Terry Pratchett will be giving the prestigious Dimbleby Lecture
      in February, as the first novelist ever to do so. His topic will be
      how modern society needs to redefine how it deals with death.
      "Shaking Hands With Death" will air on BBC One on 1st February.

      BBC One Controller Jay Hunt said: "I'm absolutely delighted that one
      of our most popular and best-loved authors has agreed to give this
      lecture. Sir Terry Pratchett has spoken with great bravery and
      honesty about his battle with Alzheimer's and I look forward to an
      intelligent and thought-provoking speech."

      For further information, visit the News page at PJSM Prints:

      http://www.pjsmprints.com/news/index.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      04) NT LIVE "NATION" CINEMA UPDATES

      The NT Live cinema showings of Nation continue this month. To find a
      venue near you:

      http://tinyurl.com/y986aqe
      http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/ntlive

      (National Theatre website pages)

      http://tinyurl.com/ydf4esm

      (includes trailer)

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      05) NATION: BEST CHILDREN'S BOOK OF THE YEAR

      The Independent names Nation as best children's book of 2009:

      "Does Nation merely count as a children's novel? As with Alice's
      Adventures in Wonderland or Gulliver's Travels, delighted readers of
      whatever age will swiftly cease to care..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yd3r8ph

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      06) PTERRY -- AND NATION -- SEEN LIVE AT THE NATIONAL

      In the Culture Witch blog, a post about the "platform event" at the
      National Theatre in which Sir Terry Pratchett did a combination
      interview/Q&A session before the evening's performance of Nation:

      "...people just love Terry. He was in good form, considering he'd
      already sat through at least four interviews... The drawback with a
      platform event featuring two people `in conversation' is that
      the audience only gets half as much as they do with someone talking
      directly to the audience. I realise this suited Terry better, but we
      would all have loved more..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ycxvyd4

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      07) REVIEW: NATION LIVE AT THE NT

      Broadway World's Gary Naylor review Nation live on stage at the
      National Theatre in London:

      "Luxuriating in the space of the Olivier Theatre, director Melly
      Still creates an extraordinary tsunami that simultaneously wipes out
      Mau's South Pacific Island Nation sparing him as he is away
      undergoing his isolated, and ultimately incomplete, rite of passage
      to manhood and shipwrecks aristocratic Ermintrude, a kind of
      nineteenth century Hannah Montana with her confident resourcefulness
      and precocious song and dance ability... If the story is a little
      predictable (there's a local death cult and an evil butler with a
      grudge to be fought off by our adolescent couple) the staging is
      anything but... It's a splendid evening for the bright teenager
      otherwise relentlessly glued to their phone..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ydqrqo9

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      08) NEW MICRO ARTS DISCWORLD FIGURINES

      The latest Discworld miniatures from Micro Arts Studio are "Esme on
      broom", "The Bursar", "Nanny Ogg on broom", and "Margaret on broom"
      (presumably Magrat). All figurines are priced at €10.98 except for
      the Bursar figure which is priced at €8.54.

      http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2010/01/19/32906

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      09) AGNES NITT SINGS THAT FAMOUS ARIA

      A video from a Czech performance of Maskerade. Agnes, Salzella and
      Andrei are excellent.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlTYvCtvHHA&NR=1

      10.1 GOING POSTAL IN READING

      Progress Theatre will present Steven Briggs' adaptation of Going
      Postal this January and February.

      Dates: Thursday 28 January - Saturday 6 February, 7:45pm.
      Matinees on Sat 30 January and Sat 6 February, 2:30pm

      Venue: The Progress Theatre
      The Mount, Christchurch Road, Reading RG1 5HL
      General Enquiries: 0845 867 9845

      Tickets £10, Concessions £8
      Subject to booking fee39

      For tickets, call the Reading Arts box office on (0118) 960 6060 or
      log on to www.readingarts.com

      http://tinyurl.com/ydpcbvh
      http://tinyurl.com/ydv5cqm

      10.2 REVIEW: WYRD SISTERS IN BO'NESS

      "This was a wordy play for the young cast, ranging from just 11
      years old, to take on with some clever word-play and adult humour to
      master -- and master it they did... What shone through in the whole
      show was how much fun the cast were having. At times one or two just
      couldn't contain their smiles at some of the funnier lines, but that
      only added to their charm..."

      http://tinyurl.com/y99uwpk

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      11) GOOD OMENS: A HOT TOPIC

      The USA release of the Good Omens text and audiobook is hot news.

      In the Daily Maverick:

      "Is irony then the best way to deal with millenarianism, even though
      the human feeling at the core of the phenomenon (desire for either a
      better world or for no world) is understandable? If so, you can't
      do much better than Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of
      Agnes Nutter, Witch, co-written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.
      First published in 1990, the book is recognised today as a sci-fi
      classic..."

      http://tinyurl.com/ybf5uyf

      An article on ABC (Australia) News about GK Chesterton's novel "The
      Man Who Was Thursday", that supposedly inspired Pratchett and Gaiman
      to write Good Omens:

      http://tinyurl.com/ybhnb96

      A review on boston.com (the Boston Globe online) of the Good Omens
      audiobook:

      "Good Omens was originally published as a young-adult fantasy title
      in 1990, but has been released by the adult arm of Harper Collins.
      Smart move, because most adults might have bypassed this delicious
      farce, and it is just too clever to miss, especially with Martin
      Jarvis narrating..."

      http://tinyurl.com/yc3weqm

      Another review, in the Sarasota Herald Tribune (Florida):

      "'Good Omens' by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett is a book that
      requires that you pay attention while listening. It's not one that
      can warble along as background audio in your head. The book,
      published in 1990, is just now coming to audio, and is so much fun
      to read OR listen to that I suggest you round up a copy ASAP... Our
      two authors, both of whom had illustrious science-fiction careers
      both before and since 'Good Omens' was published, do a marvelous job
      here of making Armageddon seem both horrifyingly real and absolutely
      laughable..."

      http://tinyurl.com/y9jkvbj

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      12) REVIEW: THE "GODS TRILOGY"

      A review of the Gods trilogy (Pyramids, Small Gods, and Hogfather):

      "I lent [Pyramids] to two different people. One person said, "It was
      too weird, I didn't bother after the first few pages." The other
      said, 'Wow, I wasn't sure what to think when I first started reading
      it, but I really love this author now. You know something? He is
      really funny!' If you are a fan of the quirky, the zany, puns, and
      intelligent humor, check out this book. As a side note to new Terry
      Pratchett readers, I recommend starting with the second book, 'Small
      Gods,' before starting 'Pyramids' as it is a better introduction to
      his way of thinking..."

      http://newsblaze.com/story/20100109112159moxy.nb/topstory.html

      %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

      13) OP-ED: THE SCIENCE OF MAGIC

      An interesting opinion piece by Chad Orzel. He discusses "urban
      fantasy" and how he feels it needs to have its own "science" like
      the Discworld books do. "In reading a lot of the new urban fantasy,
      I find myself wanting the Ponder Stibbons story-- I want to see what
      this world looks like from the perspective of the nerdy guy who
      disdains tradition, and sits down to figure out the exact amount of
      mouse blood required to summon Death for a conversation... That's
      one of the things that lets the later Pratchett books transcend the
      parodic origins of Discworld... It's kept the setting from getting
      stale, even though he's written more than three dozen novels in it."

      http://tinyurl.com/ye4jkrp

      If you did not get all three parts, write: interact@...